chapter vi

beginning of many firsts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s been a good week and a half since that Monday morning at the headmistress’ office and Jungeun still hasn’t seen Jinsoul in the flesh. Sure, she has sent a couple of messages and all but the senior still hasn't turned up to school. According to both Sooyoung and Jiwoo, it’s normal for this to happen all the time after a visit from her parents. Not only does it provide Jinsoul with some time to calm herself down, it also prevents the school cohort from questioning. Rumour and gossip usually stop after a couple of days because they’ve moved onto another topic like a pack of sharks to a bloody fish.

“Jungeun, you’ve barely touched your food. What’s wrong, honey?” Mrs. Kim puts down her cutlery, looking at her daughter with concern written all over her face.

“Just…”

“Obviously Jingoo again…”

Pretending she doesn’t hear her father’s nickname for Jinsoul again, Jungeun glares daggers into her plate of untouched food. She stabs her chicken especially murderously a couple of times, making sure the message gets across to her father.

Mrs. Kim rolls her eyes at the silent banter between her husband and her daughter; she has more important things to work on. “What happened to Jinsoul? Is she unwell or sick?”

Now, how does Jungeun put it across?

How does she tell her parents that she suspects Jinsoul’s living in an abusive family? Or how does she tell her own parents that Jinsoul’s parents - her family - are absolutely horrid? It’s probably going to sound just as offensive, considering her parents have always mentioned how important family members are. No matter what, family is all you’ve got and they will be the ones supporting you to the very end. At the same time though, hardly anyone is as lucky as her to have such understanding, loving parents who allow her so much freedom.

“Her parents are so… I don't know, they give me such a bad vibe. Before you scold me though, I wish you had seen the way they spoke to her on Monday.” Jungeun mumbles, hair at the back of her neck standing at the mere memory. “And I know you always tell me to be respectful, but even you couldn’t justify that.”

Looking at it from a different perspective now, it’s no wonder both of Jinsoul’s friends were so worried then - it’s clearly not an exaggeration. If she found out about this earlier, maybe she could have done something to help. Well, not that Jungeun can be much help since it’s between their family after all, but she could have at least been by Jinsoul’s side.

“Well…” Mr. Kim begins slowly, taking a sip of water. “If she doesn’t reply to your texts then maybe give her some space. It’s probably not something she wanted you to see; it can be embarrassing from her point of view.”

Jinsoul, always in the limelight in university for so many reasons… yeah, it all makes sense. Not that there’s anything wrong with this, but it certainly is concerning. It isn’t just about ego or pride, but the rumours will affect Jinsoul to an extent. People are going to run their mouths without reason, whatever can attract the most attention these days.

“I mean… she is really popular in school…”

Mrs. Kim moves around the table to embrace her daughter gently, running her fingers through Jungeun’s hair. “You don’t have to text her continuously, honey. Maybe she’ll reach out to you first, you never know. Alternatively, you can always ask for updates from her friends.”

Speaking of which, both Haseul and Sooyoung promised to let her know if Jinsoul wanted to see or spend time with her – she’d rush over to the senior’s dorm immediately if ever – but it’s been silent. Not that Jinsoul needs to text or reply her right now but God, Jungeun is so worried. Growing up in a family that always puts knowledge as their priority, she has seen enough movies and read enough books about domestic violence. Domestic violence doesn’t have tangible or visible consequences, and people might not understand that abuse can come in different ways – physically, mentally, emotionally…

Jungeun pleads to the Gods above, that Jinsoul is not completely unaware of what she’s going through. She still wants to give her parents the benefit of the doubt for now, perhaps they were in a bad mood or just going through a lot on that particular day.

“Look, you’re a smart girl.” Mrs. Kim says, her voice trailing off while she walks into the kitchen. “You’re going to figure out what to do eventually, just don’t push Jinsoul too hard, okay?”

“Yes, Mom…”

Jungeun drags her feet back to her bedroom, still feeling extremely down at the lack of contact from Jinsoul. She can’t really call it protective instinct… or can she? To hold Jinsoul in her arms and hide her from her parents, make sure the senior knows what might result from this continuous treatment.

Until her phone chimes with a message.

 

hi jungeun….

sorry I’ve been MIA for a bit

but I wanted to check up on you

 

The way her heart just skips a beat by looking at Jinsoul’s contact name appear on her screen is so predictable. She doesn’t mean to be sappy but perhaps that little heart emoji speaks volumes of just how she feels.

 

unnie!!!

I missed you to death ☹

How are you doing?

 

I missed you too

It feels like hell here

 

Living with those inflexible, strict parents must be hell indeed, Jungeun sighs. She can’t even do much about it because well, in what position is she in? They’re literally just friends and not even for that long either.

 

let’s meet for lunch

we can go to somewhere near your house

as long as you don’t get scolded for nothing

 

Seeing Jungeun’s determination in meeting tomorrow, Jinsoul just knows the younger won’t give up. She must have so many questions to ask, no matter how inappropriate.

Jinsoul didn’t mean to expose that part of her to Jungeun so quickly; the unquestionable weakness, vulnerability and involuntary submission whenever her parents are present. Truthfully, she doesn’t know when she started caring so much about what Jungeun thinks. For so many years, Jinsoul always considered what her two best friends feel and think, which is not difficult since they’re both honest loud-mouths. She didn’t have to read minds or jump to conclusions often, much like the rest of the student body does when they encounter the slightest bit of drama.

Knock, knock.

“Jinsoul, go to school tomorrow. Your father and I will be out for a meeting with the Jo family.”

God must really want her to see Jungeun.

Jinsoul clamps a pillow on her face to stop herself from screaming out loud; a scream has never felt so liberating before but the mere thought of seeing Jungeun makes Jinsoul want to barf – in a good way, of course.

 

*

 

“Seulie, can you lend me your notes from yesterday’s class so I can photocopy a set for Jinsoul?”

“Don’t you have your own?” Haseul stares at her girlfriend with narrowed eyes, suddenly growing suspicious. “Have you been skipping classes without me knowing?”

Sooyoung and Jinsoul are usually in the same class on the same day, plus they take the same elective subject this semester. Considering the two best friends have a previous record of skipping classes and having a disappointing attendance rate… It isn't surprising.

“Well, you know Jinsoul is aiming for the valedictorian spot at the end of our years… I don’t want to jeopardize that. Your notes are definitely more coherent than mine, that goes without saying.”

Haseul stops writing and turns to her girlfriend with a tender smile; Sooyoung has such a soft spot for the friends – particularly, Jinsoul – she truly cares about. She doesn’t question the tsundere behaviour because well, the two best friends get along the way they know best over the years. For a friendship to carry over from middle school all the way to university isn’t easy at all, so no one needs to be questioning or poking their noses into their business. Their dedication to being by each other’s side in times of need, unwavering support even in front of parental tyranny (mostly Jinsoul’s, not the latter).

That being said…

Jinsoul needs to reply to her messages before Sooyoung both literally and figuratively breaks down the door to the Jungs’ house. She is definitely capable of it – Sooyoung also comes from wealth.

“Jesus Christ.”

The disruption comes at a timely manner as Haseul snaps out of her little trip down memory lane.

“What is it, babe?”

“Jinsoul just sent me a text telling me she’s finally free for the afternoon but to sneak a pizza over for dinner.” Sooyoung facepalms; she was certainly not expecting some lame response like that but it will do for now. “I’ll just tell her parents that I’m bringing some of her notes over. If they’re that ing strict about her grades and studies, they’ll let me in.”

It’s ironic in every way possible if you think about it. Both Mr. and Mrs. Jung are so crazily obsessed with good grades and distinctions stamped all over their daughter’s report slip every year, but they also refuse to acknowledge Jinsoul’s many talents across various fields. A piece of paper should not be defining a person through and through – a person can be scoring straight As and still be a murderer months later. Jinsoul, who effortlessly does her best in theater, soccer on top of all her studies should be commended for juggling all three well. Instead, all she gets in return is scolding, heavy scrutiny and more pressure to be perfect.

Such a talented, well-disciplined daughter and yet… still never enough.

Sooyoung starts penning some cute motivational quotes on post-it notes, sticking some of these in between different pages. It’s something Jinsoul taught her, and did for her when she was suspended from school.

“Actually, honey…” Haseul whispers, her worry starting to become visible with each passing second. “Don’t you think Mr. and Mrs. Jung take things too far whenever they come here? It’s like they intentionally embarrass her in front of the spectating students.”

In some ways, it definitely rings some bells.

Throughout their friendship all these years, Sooyoung can recall all the times their parents were invited to meetings with the teachers. Her mother and grandmother were just thankful she passed her subjects but Mr and Mrs. Jung were almost always angry by the end of it. In fact, between the year Jinsoul achieved first place in school – yes, in the entire student body – for her math and the year she barely scraped through, the reactions they gave weren’t even that different. Not only did they not reward her for her achievement, Jinsoul wasn’t allowed to go out after school with the rest for pizza at another friend’s house.

A pizza party for the first place and yet…. The first-place winner wasn’t even there for her own celebration.

“Anyhow, let’s just get through today first.” Sooyoung mumbles.

 

Text Message from Jinsoul 💙

will be meeting Jungeun for lunch

please cover for me x

 

Oh, Jung Jinsoul has a death wish and it shows.

On her very first day back to school, Jinsoul is skipping the lunch lecture to meet Jungeun… Sooyoung doesn’t want her best friend to live under her parents’ thumb forever but this is playing with fire.

“Um… Seulie, can you come with me to the lecture later?” Sooyoung flashes her best smile at her girlfriend.

“What for?”

The more-than-innocent-smile does not sit well with Haseul’s gut but she can’t resist her girlfriend’s request; Sooyoung’s silly little puppy eyes will eventually be the death of her. She knows better than to question the motive behind it though. The last time she got involved in one of Sooyoung and Jinsoul’s plans, she ended up cleaning classrooms with them for two months. Those two are literal menaces when they want to be, and Haseul absolutely wants to stay out of this.

 

Text Message from Jindori 🐬

mark my attendance for the lecture? ☹

please, Seulie

pretty please with a cherry on top

 

God damn it.

 

*

 

Jungeun sits at the booth alone, her leg constantly bouncing to get rid of the nerves knotted in her tummy. Not seeing Jinsoul for two days is already more than enough, as obsessive as it may sound. She might have woken up at seven this morning just to catch an early bus, but Jinsoul doesn’t need to know that information.

“Can I get an iced americano and two rolls of tuna kimbap please? You can serve it when my friend

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter