chapter iii

beginning of many firsts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yes, baby?”

“No, I’m deciding what to wear because I don’t want to look like a hobo next to my goddess of a girlfriend.”

“Uh, she’s still sleeping…”

Jinsoul’s eyes move beneath the lids, involuntarily hearing bits and pieces of Sooyoung’s conversation with Haseul (absolutely revolting, honestly). She knows it’s Saturday so her body simply refuses to move; it’s finally the weekend after five days of crap. It isn’t that Sooyoung is noisy or makes a ruckus when she gets ready for dates, but Jinsoul happens to be an extremely light sleeper. She awakes at the slightest sound and her body automatically goes on edge when she detects movement. Just like how her mind is going ‘what the ’ when she hears rapid footsteps coming towards her bedroom right now.

“JUNG JINSOUL, GET UP!”

“What do you want…” Jinsoul doesn’t move either way, burying her face deeper into her aquatic-designed duvet. She can almost feel her best friend scowling like a mom would. “It’s literally Saturday, I am not supposed to be awake.”

Sooyoung crosses her arms over her bra-clad torso; she knows Jinsoul is supposed to be awake at the same time as her because they discussed this just last night.

“Dude, aren’t you meeting that cute junior?”

What junior?

“! GET OUT OF MY WAY!”

Poor Sooyoung, getting pushed around like a ragged doll in their bedroom as Jinsoul starts throwing her clothes off one by one whilst yelling all sorts of profanities. She is both amused and offended – mostly offended – at how Jinsoul never seems to have this sense of urgency when she goes out with her and Haseul. None of this stops Sooyoung from holding her phone up; she’s never going to let this go. And because Jinsoul cursed so many times in less than half an hour (which is very much unlike her), Sooyoung is going to use this as blackmail.

This just heightens Sooyoung’s urge to start meddling.

On the other hand…

“God, you ing idiot! You readily agreed to lunch yesterday and now you’re rushing because you have no sense of time.”

Jinsoul is far too busy chiding her own reflection in the mirror while brushing her teeth – or as Sooyoung usually puts it, she’s busy damaging her teeth with the toothbrush because of how hard she brushes – to notice her best friend.

“Girl, chill before you lose all your teeth. I’m sure Jungeun prefers a woman with some teeth to chew her food.” Sooyoung guffaws, imagining Jinsoul smiling without any teeth whatsoever.

It’d be like looking into an endless void, probably.

 

Back at Jungeun’s house…

“Jiwoo! Are you joking? Get the hell up now! NOW!”

Jungeun has been pacing up and down beside her wardrobe for the past twenty minutes now. She knows it isn’t a date, but there’s nothing wrong with dressing up nicely, right? Her best friend reassured her several times the night before that Jinsoul is not big on fashion, and she doesn’t really care much about it. It still doesn’t help Jungeun’s case – it’s normal to want to look good for your crush.

“Jungeun, you’re impossible.”

Jiwoo lets out such a frustrated noise that it takes Jungeun aback, watching in utter silence as the usually energetic girl marches to the wardrobe with an irritated expression. “You can wear this pair of denim jeans and this cropped shirt. At least it’ll show off your longish legs; they’ll look longer if you wear shorts.”

“Oh, that’s great…. HEY!”

The backhanded compliment makes Jungeun’s cheeks flush with embarrassment – everyone knows she isn’t very tall but Jiwoo doesn’t have to rub it in.

A couple of minutes in and Jungeun is already in a daze, with Jiwoo waddling all over the place like a duck. She runs around carrying so many hangers with different clothes that it confuses her best friend; from crop tops to dresses to miniskirts… Jiwoo is clearly dressing her up for a date. It’s both funny and ironic, because didn't Jiwoo say Jinsoul doesn't care for all this?

After what seems like an eternity, Jiwoo finally steps back from her poor best friend. “Babe, you look gorgeous.”

With the way Jiwoo is currently scanning her from head to toe like she’s a piece of meat, Jungeun doesn't even have to doubt her words.

She just wishes Jinsoul feels the same when they meet.

Jungeun carefully looks from left to right whilst she descends the stairs, hoping her parents aren't home or else they'd be interrogating her. Not only because she actually bothered dressing nicely, but because she’s awake so early on a Saturday morning. On weekends? it’s a miracle for her to be out of bed by noon. Her parents are practically comparable to gossip mongers one would find at the market sometimes. One can't wait to matchmake her and the other is just… protective. Overall, though, they're pretty harmless.

“KIM JUNGEUN!”

God damn it.

She turns around to find her father standing against the wall with crossed arms, “hi, daddy.”

“Don’t hi daddy me. Where are you going so early?” Mr. Kim asks, willing himself not to start getting overprotective again.

“HI UNCLE!”

The moment Mr. Kim looks away to greet her hyperactive best friend, Jungeun grabs the opportunity to dash out of the door. If she has to entertain her father’s questions, she won't even make it to lunch within an hour.

 

 

“What can I get for you, miss?”

“I’m actually waiting for someone. Can I order with her later?” Jinsoul politely smiles, completely oblivious to the hiccup the waitress has to force down.

This woman is truly the definition of ignorance is bliss, and will probably remain that way.

Jinsoul taps her fingernails periodically on the table, silently playing a rhythm she knows at the back of her head on an imaginary piano. She doesn't know why she fidgets like this, but it gives her a sense of tranquillity when the rhythm is in her head. Despite her interest in music, Jinsoul never once complained about everything she currently does. She’s still learning about interesting topics, ranging from sociology to biology. Her co-curricular activities are just stepping stones to future job openings, and she knows it’s going to help eventually. Music might just have to wait, doing it as a hobby is good enough.

When the bell rings for the third time, Jinsoul finally looks up.

It’s safe to say she’s deeply impressed at how Jungeun looks outside of school. The junior is donning a cropped top and a pair of shorts, vastly different from her school outfits. Jinsoul regrets not getting a drink earlier as offered, with how quickly is drying up at the sight of Jungeun.

Jungeun, being herself, feels her legs buckle at how Jinsoul’s gaze zero in on her almost immediately. Perhaps it isn’t deliberate, but the way Jinsoul’s eyes keep traveling makes Jungeun feel many unexplainable things. She knows her figure is pretty nice.

“Hi, Unnie. Sorry, I’m late!”

“Not at all, I wasn't that early myself,” Jinsoul smiles, gesturing for the younger to have a seat. Flashbacks of that morning replay in her head at once. “Have a look at the menu and then we can order together, take your time though.”

Hastily raising the menu to block her face, Jungeun releases a breath she didn't realize she was holding. She was instructed to remain confident and make the path her runway - whatever that means in Jiwoo’s language. Her cheeks are flushed and her heart is still trying to ease its pace from Jinsoul’s stare. Why did this silly, over-attractive, unbelievably handsome senior have to look at her like that?

“Jungeun, I’m just going to get you a glass of cold water, okay? You look flushed and the weather looks atrocious so take your time.”

.

She’s really in the trenches for this extremely fine specimen.

Back to the plan at hand, Jungeun and Jinsoul both place their orders with a male waiter before silence consumes them again. Only this time, it isn't uncomfortable or awkward; it feels almost like the silence back at the hospital ward, where they're both bashful.

The two girls soon find out that the differences in their laptops is merely the beginning, not just in the model of the device but the designs as well. Jungeun has so many stickers all over the pl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter