Chapter 8

SAVING FOREVER
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Like what Nan had said, she really did took a very close eye on Daniella that in the next few days her patterns are becoming more and more of a bafflement to Nan now. Trying hard not to be too obvious in doing her close scrutiny, she watched as Daniella would come down from her room with her earphones on, dancing and singing at the top of her lungs, greeting everyone she sees with that bright smile on her face and then continued on to the courtyard where she would continue dancing like a maniac. The maids are still wary of her but not Kelly. Kelly, it seems like had gotten comfortable with Daniella, bringing her snacks, the food she had cooked, cakes that she baked. Nan could even see her laughing with Daniella as they chat. Kelly’s daughter, Jana, seems to be taken with Daniella too. She would run straight to where Daniella and play with her, either by dancing with her, singing with her or basically just running around the garden, around the house, the courtyard, even the patio. And more shocking to Nan is when she had walked past the living room and saw Daniella teaching Jana the alphabet while they were seated on the floor.

 

If Daniella was really acting, would she really go that far as to endure teaching a child? Let alone teaching her how to read? Nobody is there to watch her. Nobody to witness her change. It was just her and the child who can barely form a word.

 

And if Daniella is really treating Jana horribly if there is no one around, there is no way that the child would look so happy to join Daniella on whatever she is doing. And Kelly… surely Kelly wouldn’t allow her daughter to be around Daniella if she had an inkling that she was hurting her daughter.

 

But no. The once cold and silent halls of the house are now getting filled by loud laughter and the shrilling singing everytime Daniella walks down the stairs. If in times that Kelly is busy and Jana was asleep, Daniella would be found inside the library, sitting down on the La Z Boy and quietly reading. Which Nan had secretly peeked into quite a couple of times.

 

There are also multiple times each day when she put her ears against Daniella’s door whenever she hears her talking to someone. She can only hear her muffled voice and again, that laughter. Other times, she didn’t have to put her ear on the door as Daniella’s voice is oozing out of the door’s frame as she belted out songs after songs after songs.

 

Her shrill, out of tune voice is becoming an everyday sound in Nan’s ears that she is starting to get used to it. She is even able to make out the song Daniella is singing despite that off-tone voice and other times, Nan would hear her grumbling to herself after outstandingly failing to reach a very high note from what Nan believed is to be a Mariah Carey song:

 

“Aiiish! Why can’t you have a good singing voice? You can’t dance, you can’t sing… what the heck can you do? Tsk.”

 

And then she would proceed to try again.

 

Adrian had even once stopped eating his lunch in rare times he was home when he heard that strange noise coming from somewhere and he looked up at Nan.

 

“What is that?” It sounded like a pig dying.

 

Nan shrugged. “That is your wife… singing.” This is the first time Adrian had heard her.

 

Adrian’s forehead creased. “What?”

 

“It seems to be her favorite hobby nowadays. Since she can’t leave the house.”

 

And everyday, Daniella would come down looking joyous like she’s celebrating something, still with her earphones on as she sang and danced. She had only stopped short when that one morning she came down the stairs and Adrian is just coming from the dining hall after eating his breakfast to leave.

 

Nan watched as Daniella made a harumph sound as if she’s irritated at seeing Adrian and pivoted away towards the courtyard as she resumed her singing, her shrieking voice resonating all over the house.

 

Adrian closed his eyes. “Somebody take that player and throw it away.”

 

Nan snorted and Adrian whipped his head to look at her in disbelief. Nan shrugged again. “What, I think it’s funny.”

 

It is funny considering Daniella is again wearing his clothes. And she’s pretty sure Adrian had noticed that Daniella is wearing his clothes every day. She’s just not sure why Adrian is not calling her out for it. Or even locking his door like what he told Daniella. Maybe because he thought it is such a trivial thing to do as there really is no important documents he keeps inside his room.

 

Nan had even caught her sneaking inside Adrian’s unlocked room one morning and she immediately peered inside to see what she’s doing. She’s carefully rummaging inside his closet and looking up shirts and pants and only when she found what can fit her will she quietly close it. She found Nan by the door watching her and her face paled, her hands clutching the shirt and pants.

 

“Please don’t tell him. I returned everything I borrowed. I even washed them! Please?”

 

All these actions made Nan think really hard, comparing who Daniella was before and who Daniella is now.

 

She doesn’t want to conclude that Daniella might’ve really lost some of her memories, or like what she hears the maid talking about, that the fall really made Daniella lose her sense of reality. Or that maybe the fall made Daniella rethink her life decisions and decide to change with the second life she had been given. If there really was someone trying to kill her.

 

One thing Nan is sure of.

 

This woman right here, right now living inside the Romero House is not the Daniella she knows.

 

 

 

 

 

 

For Sandy, everyday is a gift. Everyday is a reason to celebrate. That first time she had opened her eyes and saw the sun shining from the balcony, she felt the ray of hope shining on her. Never mind the fact that she is still inside Daniella’s body. She’s still alive. She still have the chance to live for the day. She had immediately called Charleen so they could meet up again.

 

Unfortunately, the two men who were here yesterday was changed to another two men who looked a lot scarier. And her Daniella impersonation didn’t work on them as they told her point blank that she is not allowed to go out and if she insists, she could talk to her father. She declined when one of them already had the phone on his hand and was already dialing.

 

So she went back inside and up to her room to tell Charleen the bad news. No, she can’t talk to the dad. If the two men were scarier, she doesn’t want to imagine what the father would be. On the positive note, living inside the house wasn’t so bad. Considering that Kelly is now more comfortable around her. She even let her eat everything she cooks and baked and Sandy often tells Kelly she have a huge talent for cooking that she could maybe open a restaurant of her own. Kelly looked really pleased at the compliment and Sandy wasn’t kidding. Her food and pastries are delicious!

 

Sandy is glad she now have a friend inside this house. Not to mention someone to play with. Kelly’s daughter, Jana, who seemed to enjoy dancing with her too.

 

She just decided to put her time here to good use and practice singing and dancing while she’s still around. So she did. Sometimes, she would just watch TV shows in the living room while snacking away or teach Jana how to read the A B C.

 

Carpe Diem. That’s what her motto is now. If she won’t get to see tomorrow, at least she could do the things she wanted for the day. As much as Charleen kept on telling her that maybe this is what her life is now, what fate had given her and that she should just live as Daniella Romero, Sandy still believed that there will be one day when fate would return everything back in its place. She was a cosmic fluke. Maybe a mistake. And mistakes are bound to be corrected. No matter how long it takes, it will be corrected. And that’s what they need to be ready for.

 

So yes, she’s doing everything to enjoy the day. Even if she can’t go out, she won’t consider this as her prison as the house is pretty huge to be bored in. She even tried that VR sitting in the living room by the TV and she had a blast on it. Jana even tried it and if she had a phone, she would’ve recorded the child’s reactions because it is just too funny.

 

Yes, she’s doing everything she can each day.

 

Except, try to get closer to Adrian.

 

After that night, as much as she is inlove with the man, she thought it would be better to stay away from him. She doesn’t want to be the receiving end of his insults. Her feelings are still hurt from the last time. And if there were times they get past each other in the house, he would just walk past her as if she is just some apparition that is easy to ignore. Which hurts her feelings more. And the more hurt she felt, the more irritated she became. Why is it her? Why should she let him treat her this way? It’s not like she had done anything Daniella-like for him to act like that? Can’t he give her a break?

 

Not allowed to wear his clothes? Well, Charleen did told her she needs to rebel sometimes.

 

“That is your act of rebellion?” Charleen had said with a face over the video call when she told her that she took clothes from Adrian’s room without his knowledge. “Taking clothes from his closet?”

 

“He seemed to be pretty pissed at me for doing that before,” Sandy said feeling proud of herself.

 

Charleen sighed heavily. “I told you to seize the opportunity to get close to him. Not piss him off.”

 

Sandy scowled at Charleen. “Well, now I don’t want to get close to him. Think about it. If I did, I would just be helping Daniella get close to him. I would be the bridge to close the gap between him and her. If I did, he would look at me and see Daniella. Not Sandy but Daniella.”

 

Charleen had no response to that though she did try to make that argument again about Daniella probably dying with her body but Sandy doesn’t think so. She can feel it in her gut that Daniella is going to return. And once that happens… well… Sandy would still be thankful to live an extended life.

 

Nan, on the other hand, seemed to be giving her less of an evil eye. In fact, when Nan looks at her it is more of a scrutiny. Probably wondering why she is acting so crazy with all the singing and dancing. She did try to defend herself when she came down and Nan is watching her with her brows furrowed.

 

“I swear this is not how I really sing. I have a really really melodic voice but her vocal chords are just too… tight!”

 

And once she was in the garden belting that song from Ariana Grande, she didn’t notice that the window from Adrian’s office was opened and she saw Adrian looking at her with a frown. He shut the window and turned the blinds closed. Which really irritated Sandy. He doesn’t want her to go to the library, doesn’t want her to borrow clothes, she can’t even go to the kitchen. “What, I can’t sing too?!” She yelled even though she knew Adrian wouldn’t hear her. She put the song on repeat and sang the lyrics even more loudly as she walked over to the closed window.

 

The office is supposed to be sound proof but he could hear that belting voice that it’s starting to make his head ache. Adrian looked up from his desk at Nan who was looking amused.

 

“I don’t think you have fully shut the window,” Nan said.

 

“I swear to god I’ll take that Mp3 player and shred it to bits,” Adrian said as he stood up.

 

“And ruin her fun?” Nan said. “Surely, you’re not that bad.”

 

Adrian just scowled at Nan knowing full well that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter