Chapter 5

SAVING FOREVER
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Sorry Miss. That is the smallest size I could find,” Kelly had said contritely as she kept wringing her hands.

 

“Oh it’s fine,” Sandy said with a grin as she held up the short sleeves hoodie that Kelly had stolen from Adrian Lee’s closet. “Thank you. This is perfect.”

 

Kelly glanced at her grinning widely and still felt puzzled that she would wear clothes that are three times her size. “If… if that would be all… Miss?”

 

“Oh. Yes. Thank you,” Sandy said smiling at her. Kelly gave a small bow of her head before leaving the room and Sandy eye’s went back to the hoodie. It was just a plain grey color but she felt giddy at the thought that she is going to wear something that belongs to Adrian Lee. She brought the cloth to her face and inhaled wondering if this is how he smelled.

 

No, it can’t be. Sandy sneezed. It smelled like a strong detergent. That isn’t how Adrian smelled like. She once had smelled him the first time she bumped into him after getting the job at TechNext and he smelled divine. Not including that drunken night of hers….

 

Sandy shook her head making a face. Oh my god, I have a really big problem and I’m thinking about how Adrian smelled like? Dee, you really are such a weirdo. She shrugged off her bathrobe to put the clothes on.

 

Given the small frame of Daniella, the clothes are a lot baggier than Sandy thought it would be. But it’s fine. Isn’t that the fashion of kids nowadays? The pants luckily is garterized so she would not need a belt. Though the length is long so she had to roll the ends so she wouldn’t step over it. And thankfully, Daniella had some sneakers that she could use. She looked at the mirror to see how she looked like and tilted her head at the sight with a grimace. She looked like a kid playing dress up using her father’s clothes. It’s fine, it’s fine. She brushed the hair and really wished she could cut it. She’s not very keen in growing her hair long since they require a lot of maintenance but Daniella obviously can. And probably prefers it that way.

 

She looked in the mirror again, took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. Okay, she’s ready. She walked out of the room and walked down the stairs. She caught sight of Nan who watched her go down and she gave her an awkward smile. “Good morning.” Then immediately rushed out of the house in case the old woman gave her that hateful eyes again.

 

And as she had expected, the two men blocked her.

 

But she’s ready this time.

 

“I need to go to TechNext.” She filled her voice with authority which expects nothing but absolute compliance. She had watched a lot of movies and mimicked a lot of actors to know how to use it. Not to mention that she was a member of a drama club in high school and had participated in a number of theater plays, even if just an extra or supporting roles. This would be cake.

 

“Miss—” The one with the piercings started sounding resigned.

 

“Or you do want me to call my father and tell them you are annoying me?” She interjected with her eyebrow raised. She hoped this is what Daniella Romero usually is. The gossip had said that Daniella Romero’s father is a mobster, right? That’s why Daniella Romero grew up so spoiled because she can get away with anything. That’s also what Charleen had said. She just hoped she was doing the impersonation correctly. Or should she go stronger and more forceful?

 

“Miss, boss ordered—”

 

“The boss’ daughter is telling you that she needs to go to TechNext,” she interrupted again and she gave them a look. “Are you telling me you won’t let me? You?” She made that as condescending as possible even though her hands are getting clammy from nervousness over what she is doing.

 

Both men looked at each other and back at her. They must’ve thought the is back. “Miss, if boss finds out—”

 

“Who’s going to tell?” She interrupted again. “I would have their tongue ripped out.” Classic mobster line. She looked at the guy with the piercings. Between the two, this guy is probably the most stubborn.

 

The men looked at each other again, already thinking the same thing. Their boss’ daughter has a very erratic temper. Some of the men already lost a finger or two because she spouted lies about them just because they annoyed her. And her father would never believe anyone but her. They don’t want that to be their end. The tattooed guy asked, “Miss have you already got your memories back?”

 

Sandy lifted an eyebrow and gave him the most cutting look . “I don’t believe you had the right to ask me that. Do you?”

 

Sandy must’ve done a very good job of impersonating what she thinks Daniella Romero should be that the two men finally agreed. “I’ll drive you there, Miss,” the tattooed guy said and they both turned their backs on her to get the car ready.

 

Sandy’s balled her hands into fists and grinned in elation, shocked that her plan actually worked. “Yes!” She murmured in silence then composed her face back into the snobby princess and waited for the tattooed guy to bring the car out from the garage.

 

It’s kind of funny if she could picture herself now. Her acting like an evil while looking like a teenager wearing clothes that seemed to swallow her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

TechNext looked exactly like what she had remembered. The security guard, who didn’t recognize the girl with the baggy clothes, had stopped her from entering the building and asked for ID. She resumed her Daniella Romero impersonation before the security practically fell on his knees to apologize when he finally recognized her. Sandy  didn’t know how many times she had used her acting abilities so she could get past all the entrances ans into the Accounting Department Floor since she doesn’t have any keycards nor identifications with her. Apparently, without the make up and the designer short clothes, Daniella Romero is unrecognizable. But pretty soon, word got around that Danielle Romero is inside the building. Every where she goes, people stared at her for a minute before steering clear of her after a greeting or two.

 

Sandy knew it’s not really her but she felt like a pariah. Like she had some kind of a disease that people is staying away from in fear of catching it.

 

“Miss Daniella.”

 

She jumped when someone called the name and she turned to find their manager approached her. She already reached the Accounting floor and already walking in the hallway to get to the accounting office room. He was the kind manager who had interviewed her for the job. “Hi. Good morning,” she greeted with a lopsided smile. Should she continue with the y act? But her manager is so nice and kind, she would feel bad if she would be mean to him.

 

“Good morning, ma’am Daniella. Can we help you?” The manager asked. It is rare for Daniella to actually go to TechNext since the only reason why she does is to harrass the employees if she didn’t get her way with their Chairman. And she never goes to any floor except where their Chairman’s office is located.

 

“Oh um….” Sandy decided to drop the act. She would never wanted to treat her manager with disrespect. “Sorry for disturbing you sir Sanchez.” The manager’s brows furrowed in puzzlement at her respectful tone. “Ummm, I’m looking for Charleen Licap?”

 

The manager paused. “Charleen?”

 

Sandy nodded. “I just needed to speak to her.”

 

The manager was silent, evidently looking worried that Daniella Romero is suddenly looking for one of his team. Did Charleen do something that would get the attention of Daniella Romero? Charleen just came back today after grieving the loss of her friend, another employee at TechNext. “I’m sorry to ask, ma’am but… may I ask why? Miss Charleen had just came back today and catching up on all her emails so she’s tied up at the moment. If you have any question with the Accounting Department, I can assist you myself.”

 

“Oh,” Sandy said relieved that Charleen is here. “I just need a few minutes with Charleen. Please? Just a few minutes?” She gave the manager her most imploring gaze.

 

Though the manager looked baffled at how the Chairman’s wife is acting, he led her towards his office where she could wait while he calls Charleen. Though he did warned Charleen never to talk back to Daniella Romero no matter what it is.

 

Sandy paced back and forth at her manager’s small office while she waited for Charleen. Now that she’s here, she’s not sure where to start. Or how to make Charleen believe her. She got through Plan A of getting out of the house but she didn’t get to have the time to make Plan B since she wasn’t entirely sure that her Plan A would work.

 

There was a knock on the door and Sandy spun around to watch Charleen enter who gave a small greeting and Sandy felt the emotions burst out of her. Tears immediately formed in her eyes as she saw that Charleen’s face looked gaunt, pale and she got thinner than the last time she remembered.

 

“Good morning ma’am,” she greeted softly. “You were asking for me?”

 

Charleen, you witch. I even missed your voice. Without making a word, she rushed towards her bestfriend and threw her arms around her. She let the tears fall and she cried.

 

Charleen could only gasp and stiffen when Daniella Romero threw her arms around her. She had the fleeting thought she would slap her for whatever reason she found she did that is offending. But… what is she doing? She was so surprised that she just let her sob on her shoulders.

 

After Sandy calmed down, she looked at Charleen with confusion all over face. Probably thinking the Chairman’s wife already lost it. “Leen…,” Sandy started sniffling. “I missed you.”

 

Charleen’s eyeballs went from left to right, probably looking for some way to escape the crazy woman, before taking a step away from Sandy.

 

Sandy wiped her tears and let out a chuckle. “Okay, I messed it up. I’m sorry. I just couldn’t help it.” She was so glad of seeing her bestfriend she let her emotions get the best of her.

 

Charleen’s forehead creased even more wondering what is happening and why is she being subjected to this.

 

Sandy looked at her in the eye and decided to go the simplest way to explain all this. “It’s me. It’s me, Sandy.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Sorry, ma’am.” Charleen’s face hardened after about several minutes of silence, looking at the face of Daniella Romero. “I  really have a lot of things to do. Can I go now?”

 

“No, Leen. Please. I know it’s hard to believe. I know it’s impossible. I don’t know how many times I tried to hurt myself just so I can be sure it’s not a dream but it’s me. It’s me, your best friend. I don’t know how it happened. I just… I just woke up and I’m this. I’m here! I’m… this.” She gestured at her form. “It’s really me. Sandy.”

 

Charleen’s jaw tightened and angry tears formed on her eyes while her hands balled into fists as pain and regret rushed over her again. “It’s not funny.” Is she making fun of her? Did Daniella found out an employee died and decided to play a prank on her closest friend just for her enjoyment? To see how she would react? She had seen first hand how Daniella played around with her co-trainees when she was just starting out at TechNext. Not one of the trainees knew who she was. They have never even encountered the name of Daniella Romero but here is this woman, telling them she was also a trainee at the Marketing Department one day. Layla, one of the trainees, was the friendliest of their batch and befriended her though Charleen had thought there is something weird about this Marketing trainee. Who goes to their job as a trainee but wears clothes like they are going to a wild party?

 

Layla had said that it just might be how she expresses herself and Charleen accepted it thinking there are really weird people with weird tastes and weird ideals. She thought nothing of it.

 

Until at the end of the day, Layla was escorted out of the building with two security guards. She was crying uncontrollably.

 

She said her name is Daniella Romero Lee. She’s the Chairman’s wife. She told me she’s bored and she needed to do something to entertain herself because her husband is not here. Then she said she’s going to accuse me of theft and I will be dragged out of the building. I walked out on her and before I knew it, the security had apprehended me and dragged me out. And she was there just watching with that… that evil smile on her face.

 

That was what Layla had said. She needed the job. Both her parents were sick, her sister was only 14 and her brother was paralyzed. She was the one only who can keep their family alive. But Daniella Romero decided to had her bit of fun and had her fired before she can even begin. Even the security guard felt sorry for her and told her that she should’ve stayed away from Daniella Romero.

 

And now here is, having her bit of fun again. What, she’s bored because sir Adrian is not here?

 

Like hell, who wants this job anyway? “Sandy is dead.” She gritted her teeth. “She is dead! And I don’t need an evil like you trying to make fun of someone else’s loss!” Her tears started to fall, both from grief and anger. She is so mad that that this woman had the gall to even play a game like this for her own amusement. She aggressively took off her ID and threw it on the floor. “I quit you stupid !”

 

She spun around to leave but Sandy’s next word stopped her, “Your step father didn’t die of alcohol poisoning.”

 

That made Charleen froze, her hand on the doorknob.

 

Sandy knew there was no other way. They had promised never to mention this again but how can she make Charleen believe? “We… we mixed everything he drinks with arsenic,” she said softly.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter