0 0 2

unholy matrimony | k.mingyu
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

0 0 2

Gangwon

 

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

 

It took her awhile to process that she had the gift to help others identify their fated person. 

 

At first her ability made her feel special. It felt like the deity had specifically picked her out of everybody to help others reach their own happy ending. 

 

But at the age of 15, the gift that had been bestowed upon her felt like a curse. Resembling a heavy boulder weighing on her heart when she saw her parent's marriage crumble right in front of her eyes. 

 

Sohee had always noticed that her parents were not each other's fated person. 

 

Truth to be told, it wasn't such a mystery why. They were the total opposite of each other. 

 

If her father thinks a family meal is supposed to be quiet and peaceful, her mother likes it to be clamorous. Filled with laughter and stories of her mischievous adventures during her younger days. Little things like that, that would irk one of them from time to time.

 

Yet, Sohee had never paid any mind to it. Afterall, her parents despite their differences, had survived a 6 years old marriage. 

 

It looked like nothing was able to cut to ties that the two of her parents had. 

 

Not until when her mother caught her father's infidelity that had been going on for years without her noticing. 

 

Her mother tried everything to patch up their now broken marriage but nothing seemed to work as someone else had already taken the special place inside her father's stone cold heart. 

 

It was none other than his fated person. 

 

Their house that once filled with love and warmth turned into a cold battle place. 

 

The two of them would always bicker, shouting profanities to one another as the secrets the two once shared turned into weapons of their own. 

 

During those times, Sohee would lock herself up in her room with her earpiece stuck in her ears to block any sound coming from downstairs. 

 

But it got worse one day when her father had lost his patience and had hit her mother. 

 

Sohee could still remember when she had run towards her mother, shielding her from her father. 

 

"Stop it!" Sohee heard her own shouts which then turned into a solemn whimper, "please--"

 

Soon after that incident, her parents then decided to send Sohee away to her grandmother's place in a small town called Gangwon until the two of them had settled the issue without her being there.

 

Sohee silently watches as the tall skyscrapers that usually towers over them turned into small arrays of stores that were passed down through generations. The roads that were always busy and cramped were now replaced with an empty small road.

 

Dowoon, who was sleeping next to her, let out a soft grunt when the bus had driven through a bump. She carefully placed his head on top of her shoulder, his cheek slightly before continuing to enjoy the view. 

 

This is exactly what the two of them needed-- a fresh new start.

 

“Is this the place Eomma?” Dowoon asks, his round eyes staring at the house in front of him in awe. 

 

Judging by the number of this house, Sohee was certain this is her late grandmother’s house. But what she did not expect was how well kept the house is. 

 

After her grandmother had passed away, the house was passed down to her mother. Sohee has expected the house to be shabby. With it’s paint starting to wear off, rust forming on the iron gate as the tall grass welcoming them.

 

But the house in front of them was completely different from what she had imagined. 

 

It looked like it had been recently painted and the iron gate seemed to have been replaced by a new one. And if Sohee craned her neck, she could see how well-kept the garden is.

 

Sohee shifted her gaze to Dowoon when she noticed him fanning his now scarlet face. His skin had always been sensitive to hot weather, it would often break into bright red rashes before the itch kicks in. 

 

Even if Dowoon assures her that he was fine, it still breaks her heart to see her son in such a condition.

 

Sohee pushed her thoughts aside and swiftly opened the gate. 

 

Maybe her mother had hired a housekeeper recently.

 

“Can we go inside now?” Dowoon asks giddily, a wide grin on his face. 

 

Sohee gave him a smile before nodding her head. She then intertwined her fingers with his small ones before the two of them had walked into the garden. 

 

Sohee was surprised to see marigolds planted in the garden. It has always been her favorite flower and somehow it reminded her of the times she used to stay with her grandmother. 

 

How her grandmother would wait until late evening for her to return home from school. Giving Sohee the excuse that she was busy tending to her garden, that she didn't realize how times had passed.

 

“Eomma?” Dowoon tugged her hands, his head tilted to the side as he looked over to the marigold to see what had captured his mother’s attention.

 

“Flowers!” he pointed towards them.

 

Sohee chuckled, “Yes. Let’s scurry inside now-- you’re looking like a tomato!”

 

Dowoon pouted his lips. “I’m not a tomato!” his hands covered his flushed cheeks. 

 

“Of course you’re not,” she teased, pinching his chubby cheeks before the two of them continued to walk towards the house. 

 

The two of them stopped at the porch. Sohee had Dowoon sit on their luggage. He must’ve been very exhausted from their long bus ride to Gangwon.

 

She had tried a few times punching the correct pin number into the padlock but it didn’t seem to work. According to the last text she had with her mother, it seems to be the right pin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter