02

Quiet whispers

9:50 am. It was day 2 of Yonsei University and it was really starting to become a pain. Arriving in South Korea only a week prior to school, Nao was not given enough time to adjust to the immense time change. She took a seat at the end of a row of elevated theatre seats as she slouched in her chair. Why can't I just skip class? Sighing heavily, she reached in for her laptop as she began to explore the digital world with dull eyes.

Himchan stood at the top of the classroom, walking in later than he had wanted thanks to Yongguk not waking him up in the morning. Running his fingers through his hair, he made his way down the steps and headed to the front of the class; a row of the girls greeting him on the way down as they stared at him with passion filled eyes. He smiled back to them and waved slightly just to have them pass out and die in their seats. Why is it always me? On his way down the wide steps, he turned his attention to the girl with maroon hair that was tied it up lazily to expose her slender neck and cute little ponytail. Himchan smiled in delight as he made a sharp turn and took the seat directly behind hers. "Good morning beautiful."

Nao tilted her chin upwards to look back, opening from the movement as she saw Himchan. Lifting her head back up, she simply lifted her hand in recognition, her tired fingers not willing to move. Nao shifted slightly in her seat as an unpleasant feeling coursed up her spine, leaving a tingling in her gut. What is this? She bit her bottom lip slightly as she took a deep breath. She felt herself stiffen as she became too conscious to move. Slowly, she slightly turned her head so than she was able to see him from the corner of her eye, "Good morning Himchan sunbaenim."

"Sunbaenim?" A frown appeared on his face as he leaned forward quickly, "Yah, you don't have to call me sunbaenim. That's too formal. Just call me Himchan."

"I.. Okay." Trying to avoid talking as much as she could, she simply gave in to his whining and returned her glance to the professor that was about to begin lecture.

 

10:30 am. It was only 40 minutes in and Nao felt like she was going to die. Her eye lids began to droop from lack of sleep the night before and man did she regret it. She tried her best to stretch the muscles in her back as she breathed out quickly. I feel like I'm going to go insane. God please help me. She scratched the back of her head impatiently as she began to crack her knees. Massaging her shoulders lightly, she stared at her blank page of notes and grunted softly as she knew that she was going to wish she had written something about the lecture later down the road. 

Himchan stared at her as he watched her shift in her seat, trying to stay awake. He held in his laugh as a smile appeared on his lips. Looking around at the rest of the class, everyone was either too busy on their laptops or already sleeping. It was a good thing Professor Lee had horrible eyes. Turning his attention back to the princess in front of him, he watched as her slender fingers reached for the nape of her neck. nail polish. His hands reached over to her shoulders as he began to massage them quietly. She looked back at him in surprise as he brought his lips close to her ear, "Just relax."

Leaning in to get a better grasp at her shoulders, he caught a whiff of a sweet vanilla smell. Taking a deep breath, he took the scent back in. It was very nice and relaxing, different from all the other junk perfume other girls would put on. It was innocent yet enticing and it had caught him by surprise. He looked at her more closely, noticing how different she was from other girls. Although many girls yearned for white skin, her skin was a very light tan which looked rather beautiful and radiated with a natural glow. Her hair, unlike the other girls around, was colored which brought variety although many people around him had looked down upon it. Her style was different from the other girls. It wasn't showy or y. Instead is was loose and comfortable; very comfortable. A baggy shirt and track sweats along with tennis shoes, it fit very well with her messily tied up pony tail and extremely bad posture. He laughed at himself quietly as he couldn't make sense of this girl, Where the hell is she from to dress and act like this to class?

Nao took a deep breath as she felt herself becoming lost in the exhaustion. She tilted her head back onto the top back of her seat as she closed her eyes slightly. She was so tired and the massage was so good, it felt like she was in heaven. She slightly picked up her head as she looked back at Himchan with half closed eyes. She yawned slightly before turning her head and laying her cheek on his arm. He felt the softness of her skin as his face started to burn. Clearing his throat quietly, he shifted in his seat as he continued to give the innocent girl a massage. What was that look she gave me earlier? That was way too y of a look. Himchan felt his face burn even more as he remembered the look in her eyes. Is she trying to hint something? Does she like the massage? Maybe it's just me. Yeah, I'm probably over thinking things. I mean, I hardly know this girl.

 

Her eyes fluttered open as she moaned quietly, shifting in her seat as she sat up correctly. Taking a deep breath of content, she looked over at the clock 11:40 am. A smile wide on her lips, she put her folded laptop in her bag as she got up from her seat. She stretched her legs, kicking them a bit, before heading out of the lecture hall. Before taking a step forward, she looked back at the man behind her, his arms hanging by the back of her seat as his head dropped low. A slight smile appeared on her lips as she knew exactly what was going on here. Going to the row behind her, she squatted beside him as she ducked under his arms. Looking up at him with big eyes, she stared at his sleeping face. "Yah.."

His brows furrowed as he slowly opened his eyes, a smile appearing on his face as he chuckled lightly. "Is it over?"

He slowly sat back in his seat as she stood back up. She nodded slightly as she turned around to leave. She was jerked backwards before she could get far, looking back to an already standing up Himchan holding onto her wrist, "Do you have any classes after this?"

"One. Philosophy." 

Himchan nodded slightly, his fingers leaving her wrist and grazing against her own before returning to his side, "I only have one class left too. Why don't we go out for lunch? It'll be my treat."

Nao stared at him strangely. Well I haven't looked around Seoul yet anyway and this way I won't be alone..

"At the front of the school.." She said softly before turning around completely to face him and walking backwards slowly so she wouldn't break eye contact with him, "I'll be waiting at the front of the school. Don't be late."

She smiled before turning back around and heading to her next class. Himchan watched her as she disappeared out of the classroom, his cheeks set ablaze as his jaw was slightly dropped. His fingers quickly covered his rosy cheeks as he cleared his throat before heading off to his own class.

 

Nao stood at the front of the gates, waiting quietly as the spring breeze blew. 1:45 pm. Class had ended 15 minutes ago and Himchan had failed to arrive. Maybe he had to go talk to a teacher or something. Taking a deep breath, she groaned loudly as she looked back at the school. No one. Biting her bottom lip, she brushed her hair away from her face as she picked her backpack from the floor and started walking home.

Himchan stared at the clock as he tapped his foot impatiently from under the desk. He had waited for his professor to call his name so he could grab his paper and make a run for it to the front of the school. 1:45 pm. He clenched his phone in irritation. "Kim HimChan."

His head quickly turned to look at his professor as he rushed to the front of the class and out. Speed walking through the building, he quickly made a run for it as soon he stepped out of the building. Dammit! Why does the music building have to be all the way in the back of campus?! Why! He ran faster as he came to a stop at the front of the gates. Looking around, he didn't see her anywhere. "Dammit!!"

He looked at his phone, 1:47 pm. She couldn't have gotten fair if she waited right? Looking one more time, he noticed a girl walking away with bright looking hair. Taking his chances, he ran up to her, noticing it was her as he got closer. "Nao!"

Nao looked back to see a slightly flushed Himchan run up to her. Coming to a stop only a few feet away, he put his hands on his knees as he tried to catch his breath. He held up his index finger, indicating for her to wait as she smiled softly, "You're such an idiot."

"Hey..! I am not. My professor just ended class later tha-" Himchan's voice faded as he looked up at her to see her holding out a water bottle to him. She smiled down at him as he stared at her with big eyes, his heart starting to flutter at her gesture. Although he didn't hear what she said, he knew what came out of . He regained his posture as he took the bottle from her hand and opened the already opened water bottle. An indirect kiss. I hope she doesn't mind. He drank it quietly, making sure to leave enough as he closed it. He handed it to her with a smile and she replied with a smile as well as she tossed it back into her bag.

"Let's go." He grabbed her hand as he lead her the opposite direction and to the nearby cafe. 

Nao followed behind him quietly as she stared at his hand. Such nice fingers and their really pretty too. She looked up at the back of his head. Having a serious for guys with really nice hair, she tried to resist her sudden urge to run her fingers through his blonde locks. It was styled so nicely, she couldn't help but want to his head. She took a deep breath as she bit her bottom lip, not knowing what to do as she stared at the back of his shirt. "Where are you taking me?"

"A coffee house." He answered as he looked back at her, smiling widely, "It's really nice. I like to go there from time to time."

Himchan turned into a stone paved driveway that lead to an oak coffee shop with an open front patio for costumers to sit and enjoy their meal or coffee. Nao looked into the building through it's large windows and noticed the chalk written menu and cute drawings on the window. The walls were an ivory color with deep brownish red floors. There were tables to accommodate any party size that were nicely spread across the area. Nao stared in with fascination, this was everything she could ever imagine when it came to a coffee house in Seoul. "Like it?"

Himchan looked at her amusingly as he pulled her into the shop and to a table off to the corner. Pulling her seat out for her, he smiled up at her as he played the gentleman, "If you will~"

She laughed at his gesture as she took a seat. He took the sat across from hers before opening the menu and reading what he had wanted. "Where are you from?"

Nao looked up from her menu quickly, giving him a skeptical look. She hated answering questions about herself, "Los Angeles."

"Los Angeles?" He looked up at her with a confused look on his face, "Isn't that in America? I thought you were from Japan. With your name being Japanese that is and stuff.. Do you know what you want?"

She gave him a blank look at how quickly he had changed the subject before looking back at the menu. She flipped through the pages, trying to find some type of picture but to her despair, there was none. Nao pouted her lips a bit before shaking her head slightly, slowly reading through the korean names of food and not knowing what in the world they were. She looked up from her list to see him smiling at her as he put his menu down and pulled his seat next to hers. Himchan began to decipher the korean foods until she found one she liked. 

He pulled his seat back to the other end of the two person table, giving the order to one of the waiters before returning his glance to the girl across from him. "Why are you in Seoul Nao cha?"

"Foreign Exchange program." Nao confessed as she cleared quietly, "I'm doing this so than the Medical school of my choice will see that I'm somewhat diverse or at least interested in diversity."

"Oh.." Himchan felt his heart drop a bit, "So how long are you here for?"

"For the entire academic school year."

The atmosphere became weird around the two as he looked down at his lap and back up at her from time to time. He took a deep breath and smiled at her weakly. He didn't know what to say. Drowning in his own despair, he felt something nudge against his foot. Looking under the table, he saw Nao's foot retreat to under her chair. Smiling more lively, he looked back at her to see a smile on her face. "I just came last week, there's still a lot of time between now and the day I leave."

He looked down quickly before looking back at her with a wide smile on his face. She was right and he wasn't planning on wasting any time.

 

The two friends walked down the sidewalk, Himchan cracking extremely lame jokes and Nao laughing at them due to her lack of humor. They sun began to set as they reached Nao's apartment complex, "So I'll see you later?"

Nao smiled widely as she nodded. Before heading into the building, she s her arms around his neck and hugged him gently. She pulled away from him before he could react and walked into the building with one last wave. He watched Nao disappear into the building in shock. Shaking himself out of surprise, he was quickly filled with happiness as he jumped around in circles like an idiot. Getting off of his ecstatic high, he rushed home while contemplating on who he was going to tell first about his date.