01

Quiet whispers

Nao lazily threw her belongings into her backpack as she zipped it up and swung it on her shoulder. Today was her first day in a Korean University and although it had just started, she couldn't wait for the day to end. She hated mondays enough and school made it ten times worse. She felt a pair of eyes follow her as she got up from her seat and headed towards the exit. Chills ran up her spine as she tried to shrug it off. Being the one to be the most awkward in unnecessary situations, she tried to rush out of the large lecture room without embarrassing herself any more than she already was. Heading out of the doors, she heard her female classmates squeal and fantasize over the new TA; sharing comments on how hot he was and how they wanted to get with him already. A large sigh left her full pink lips in amazement at how annoyed she was on the first day of school. This is going to be a long year.

 

"Why am I even here?" Nao asked herself as she laid on the grass, bystanders staring at her strangely. She grunted quietly as she tried to shake off their glances. She regretted studying abroad in such a skeptical country, "Why didn't I go to London?"

She slipped her hands under her head as she slowly closed her eyes, the spring sun beaming down to keep her warm. Nao took deep breaths as she lost herself in the quite spring afternoon. 

Himchan walked out of the building with his backpack slung over his shoulder. He stretched his arms above his head as he got ready to head back to the house. Yawning slightly, the mumbles of others filled his ears as they talked about the girl on the grass. Slowly coming to a stop, he looked over at the familiar girl, her moss green baggy sweater mixing in with the deep green grass. Her maroon shoulder length hair scattered across the green canvas while her thin, black ripped skinny jeans covered legs crossed over one another in a feminine manner. He stared at her in wonder at how beautiful she looked and couldn't help but get closer. He stood at the foot of the grass, admiring her from only a few feet away. Who is she? Himchan parted his lips slightly as he tried to find the right words to say but not wanting to wake her from her slumber. "Enjoying yourself?"

Nao's eyes fluttered open as the blue sky filled her range of vision. Arching her back slightly, she slowly lifted herself up while the palm of her hands kept her from falling back. She looked at the man in front of her and quickly recognized him as the the TA from the Cultural Musics class. Not really wanting to speak in fear of her accent, she nodded simply as she got to her feet. Tossing her backpack over her shoulder, she looked back up at the charming man before walking off to her apartment.

"Aren't you in professor Kim's Cultural Musics class?" Himchan called out as he turned towards her direction.

Nao abruptly stopped in her tracks as she turned her body a full 180 degrees. She nodded quietly as he walked up to her with a gentle smile on his face. "Kim Himchan, fourth year here at Yonsei University."

She nodded slightly as she feared the thought of embarrassing herself in front of the handsome man with her awkward accent. She looked down and bit her bottom lip before taking a deep breath. She looked into his almond eyes and felt herself become lost in its beauty, "Nao Satoshi. Second year."

Before he could ask anymore questions, she turned away from him and walked out of view. He held out his hand as his lips parted, wanting to call out for her. Sighing loudly, he let his hand return to his side as he watched her walk away. He smiled slightly as he laughed to himself. "What an interesting girl." 

 

Himchan spread himself across the couch as he groaned loudly. He had finally finished all of his homework and was ready to go do something fun but nothing came to mind. He laid the back of his hand on top of his forehead as he stared at the plain ceiling. Nao Satoshi. Sounds foreign. He smiled at her name as he turned towards the back of the couch, tracing her name into the fabric with his finger. I wonder where she's from. She surly does have an accent. Japan maybe? He felt his cheeks begin to burn as he couldn't think of anyone or anything but her. 

Frustrated beyond belief, he kicked his feet in the air and grunted in displeasure. Now sitting up, he leaned forward and placed his elbows on his knees for support as he couldn't take it anymore. "Hyung?"

Himchan looked up in surprise to see a slightly shocked Zelo. Himchan's shoulders dropped as he took a deep breath and closed his eyes. He couldn't believe he let his dongsaeng see him like that, especially when he was supposed to be the cool one on or at least that is what he believed to be. Getting up, Himchan headed for the stairs as he patted Zelo shoulder's on the way. He hated having people worry about him when he didn't expect it. "Make sure to finish your homework Zelo ahh." 

Closing the door behind him, Himchan walked into the room him and Yongguk shared. Flopping onto his bed with a loud thump, Himchan stuffed his face in his pillow as he created a ruckus on his once nicely made bed. The sleeping Yongguk looked over at Himchan with a glare that dared him to make any more noise. Scared for his life, Himchan smiled nervously at his hyung as he turned his back towards him and faced the wall. Nao Satoshi. Nao Satoshi. Nao Satoshi. Reaching for a pencil on his desk, he wrote her name onto the peach colored wall and smiled happily at his work. Chuckling, he quickly erased the name as he fell back onto his bed and tossed the bed sheets over him. "Nao Kim?"

 

Nao sat at the kitchen table as she stared at the untouched bowl of cold milk and now soggy cereal. She sighed loudly as she felt her appetite leave her stomach. God why am I like this. It's not like I like the guy or something. She continued to repeat her words in her head, trying to convince herself that the TA meant nothing to her. The image of his smiling face filled her head as she felt her face become hot. She shook her head furiously as she took deep breaths. She forced the cereal down as she marched into her room to start homework she had no interest in. 

Staring at the pages for a good 15 minutes now, she sighed heavily as the only thing on his mind was him. Growling lowly to herself, she whispered gently, "I won't be here next year so what's the point?"