Chapter Five

The Devil Kissed Me

The hotel is just as luxurious as he had hoped, the blankets swallowing him on the softest bed he has ever slept in with the air conditioner so high he shivers delightfully despite it being one of the hottest summers South Korea has seen. Taemin’s stomach rumbles in anticipation of the hotel’s complimentary breakfast, even though all he’d like to do now is to stay in all day.

Key had driven them to Daegu despite Taemin’s best efforts to convince him to let him take the wheel, but their dinner plans had been dashed when they got delayed by traffic due to repairs in the highway. By the time they finally reached, Key could not take Taemin to the restaurant he has been planning to, and was disappointed with their dinner in the hotel itself- it was very expensive and they had their pick from an amazing buffet, but it was obvious Key was jaded to it and was looking forward to a hearty meal instead. Taemin had no qualms with it, but the staff and the atmosphere were intimidating, and made him feel slightly out of place with the creme de la creme dining with them. Any other day he would have been fine, but it was unnerving after being worn from a full day out, and he found himself agreeing with Key. But he is really looking forward to redeeming his experience with breakfast, and quickly hops in the shower and dresses himself to meet the other downstairs. Key had gotten them rooms just shy of the penthouse suite, something Taemin is glad about when he saunters about bare feet on the soft carpet, turning his luggage inside out in the spacious area to find the perfect outfit for the day. He ultimately decides on a powder blue shirt, loosely tucking it in his jeans and leaving his hair unstyled to make his soft brown bangs fall down on his forehead- creating an effect of looking younger and also hiding his tired face, courtesy of pulling way too many late night shifts. Satisfied with how much better he looked today than the day before, he walks out with a hop in his step, texting Key to let him know he's done.

Key is already waiting for him when he arrived at the dining area, and Taemin feels a little short of breath when he takes him in. It is apparent that Key has also decided to take care in dressing today- wearing a white shirt that looked so silky Taemin could bet cost a year worth of his salary, sky blue trousers and a lemon yellow beret to top it off with a matching scarf wrapped chicly around his neck. With Key’s hair brushed away under the hat, his eyebrow scar is on full display and it makes Taemin feel oddly nostalgic. It is one of the first features he had noticed on the older when he had helped clean his face after tending to the injuries. He remembers running his finger on the scar while those sharp eyes watched him like a hawk even at the brink of unconsciousness. They had hardly talked those few days- Key was barely awake, and Taemin was too stressed, and yet there was a certain vulnerability then, something he finds hard to see now. This Key in front of him is more reserved and protective of himself- polished to a fault, and Taemin wishes that wasn’t the case.

He takes a deep breath to dispel the odd feeling in his chest and goes to greet him.

“Good morning!” He wishes brightly. “Let’s eat?”

Key jumps a little bit in surprise, clearly lost in thought and unaware of his presence, before schooling his features into neutrality.

“Sure.”

They weave around the long buffet menu before settling down on a table beside a window looking over the hotel’s in house recreational facilities. The pristine white interiors and the tastefully decorated poolside make Taemin feel like he is in a Hollywood movie.

“Did you sleep well?”

Taemin cuts into his pile of fluffy pancakes before answering him. “Extremely well. And you?”

Key nods while taking a bite of his own salad. The stark difference between their breakfast plates almost makes Taemin laugh.

“What are we planning to do today?” Taemin decides to cut to the chase. He is too awkward for small talk.

Key makes a hum of acknowledgment and swallows before answering. "I was just about to ask you that actually. We could either go to the major attractions, or we could go to the more local spots. You pick."

“Why not both?”

He pauses. “Why not both, right. Then I will take you to the 83 Tower first and then we’ll see what to do next.”

The 83 Tower is one of the first things everyone saw in Daegu because of the view, so he isn’t surprised that it is Key’s first choice. It is the local spots he talked about that intrigues him. Taemin chews on his food, contemplating whether he should ask more.

“How do you know the locality? That doesn’t sound like you have just been here on vacation.”

Key shakes his head, but to Taemin’s relief he sees an amused smile flickering on his face.

“You really have to know everything don’t you?”

Taemin shrugs. “It doesn’t hurt to ask.”

“I was brought up here.”

Taemin puts down his fork in surprise. “No way! You don’t even have an accent.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment, I worked very hard to get rid of it.”

He frowns. “A Satoori accent is cute”

Key throws his head back and laughs, and the gruffness of it makes Taemin think he hasn’t got rid of it completely after all.

“It’s too countryside for Seoul,” he narrows his eyes playfully. “How would you know anyway Seoul boy”

Taemin huffs. “I’m not as uppity as the other Seoul people”

“You’re not, I’ll admit that, but really, it's funny how my city dwelling cousins looked down on my accent.”

“Well your cousins sound like s.”

“That’s because they are. They make me glad I didn’t live in the same city as them.”

Taemin hums sympathetically. “When did you start living in Seoul?”

“I went for university.”

“You haven’t been living there for long then.”

Key raises an eyebrow. “How old do you think I am?”

“Um-” Taemin wonders if it would be embarrassing to mention that he has thought about his age before. “You must be around twenty-six?”

“I’m twenty-five. Not a bad guess.”

He definitely carries himself way older than he actually is.

“But you’re right,” Key continues. “I’ve lived far less in Seoul compared to Daegu.”

“Do you come back here often?”

Key sighs. “I haven’t visited since I left.”

“You must have family and friends you could meet here,” Taemin realises. “You don’t need to babysit me I can explore around on my own if you need to go.”

He rolls his eyes. “Who says I am babysitting you? If you want me to accompany on a vacation I might as well keep my promise.”

Taemin opens his mouth to retort but Key holds up a hand. “Yes, yes I know the favour was to make you happy but this is specifically what you asked of me so I will see it through.”

Taemin pouts. He won’t win in this conversation if Key is so obviously adamant on avoiding the topic.

“Fine. Your choice.”

Key nods.

“Let’s finish eating so we can leave soon. I’ve been told the view from the tower is best when it’s still sunny.”

“You haven’t been there before?”

“Not exactly to the tower….but I have been to the amusement park surrounding it.”

Taemin’s eyes light up at the sound of an amusement park. The last time he has been to one is probably as a child.

“Can we go there too? Please?” He tries his best to look cute.

Key chuckles in disbelief.

“And yet you say I am not babysitting you. Sure we can go there, it's your vacation after all.”

Taemin grins. Perfect.

-

The lift to the 83rd floor has both Key and Taemin fidgety- but for different reasons.

Taemin tugs at his shirt sleeves in excitement while Key fiddles with the camera strap wrapped around his neck, emanating nervous energy in waves. Taemin had asked the other if he was okay, but got the message when Key snapped at him. There is only so much Taemin could ask without being voluntarily told what the problem is, so he lets him be.

The view when the doors opened is good enough to knock Taemin’s breath out and forget about their earlier squabble. He doesn’t even notice Key hanging back when he walks up to the end, just short of pressing his face to the glass. Sure, it was no Seoul Lotte World Tower, which he has never been to but knows is double the height of this one, but Taemin loves heights, and the aerial view of Daegu is pleasing to him nevertheless.

He finally sees Key stand next to him and he turns to talk, but catches him staring intently at Taemin.

“Uh, why are you looking at me instead of the view?”

Maybe he will say he’s looking at the view already, his brain helpfully supplies.

“I’m scared of heights,” Key replies simply.

Oh.

Taemin coughs, “You could have not come up with me then”

Key shrugs, “I thought it’d be a shame if I came all this way and missed the chance”

“Well, in that case you can look at least once?”

“It's fine. Besides you look good today.”

Taemin can't help the surprised noise that leaves him.

“Ugh, is that your way of apologising for snapping at me?” He mutters to distract from the furiously spreading blush on his cheeks.

Key at least has the grace to look apologetic.

“Sorry for that. Thinking of the height was making me a bit nauseous”

Taemin takes one last wistful look at the skyline. “You know what, there is nothing much to do around here anyway. Let's go down to the amusement park”

That startles Key.

“Are you sure? You looked pretty excited?”

Taemin isn’t actually sure, but he would rather not let him know.

“Yeah let’s go.” He confirms and reaches to tug at Key’s hand, who is frozen- if it was from the vertigo or because of what Taemin is doing, he can’t tell.

“For the record-” Key says when they are finally on the ground floor “It was not my way of apology, you do look good. Blue is a nice colour on you”

Taemin flushes in embarrassment, quickly looking for a way to deflect the conversation away from him. “Thank you. I like the whole rich sugar daddy look you have going on.”

He internally cringes- that was probably not the best way to go.

Key snorts. “Thanks I guess. Its a spot on look considering I am acting like one.”

Taemin rolls his eyes. “Don’t flatter yourself, you're too stingy to be one.”

“Hey! Now when did I act stingy?”

“By standing here talking instead of taking me to the park. C’mon I haven’t had cotton candy in ages.” He starts walking briskly in the direction of the booth he saw before going up.

“You just had like ten pancakes for breakfast. How do you even consume that much sugar?”

“I’ll burn it off!” Taemin calls back, laughing at Key’s exasperated sigh.

Taemin’s smile doesn’t wear off even when no one is looking- slowly but surely he is starting to feel better.

-

Two large cotton candies later- one of which Key had eaten, ignoring Taemin's teasing for actually looking happy about it despite protesting when the confectionery had been shoved to him, they stood in line for the carousel. Well, more like Taemin is standing for it while Key takes revenge and laughs at him for being an overgrown child, as he himself is content with watching from the sidelines.

Taemin grumbles when he finally gets seated on a wooden horse, glad of the fact that most people along with him are also actually adults, with the exception that most of them are couples making loving eyes at each other. The characteristic tinkling music starts playing when it moves, much too slowly, and Taemin watches Key take photos, looking odd among everyone dressed more appropriately for an amusement park. He strikes a pose when Key raises his camera up to him, then is bored again when Key’s attention is diverted by something else. Taemin is not yet cynical enough to make fun of couples in love but if he heard any more I love you’s he would actually puke out all the sugar he had.

“So did you have fun?” Key teases once the ride’s over.

“Ugh.” Taemin groans, completely disgruntled. “I definitely remember that being better.”

“Taemin. When was the last time you rode a carousel?”

“Uh….when I was ten I guess?”

Key rolls his eyes.

“I am not even going to elaborate on that.”

“Yeah, yeah stop judging me let’s go on something together now.”

They in fact, did not go together to something at all. Taemin gets on a few more rides before finally admitting that amusement parks were more fun as a child- even the roller coasters felt far less thrilling. Key has fun teasing him after every single one of the disappointments while he himself hangs back to take photos of the pretty blooming flowers in the landscape, or just sitting around doing nothing. Taemin notices that Key did not even once use his phone no matter how bored he is, while his own kept vibrating with unread messages coming in continuously from yesterday to which he still has not mustered the energy to reply to.

Taemin decides he has had enough of the park and drags Key to the many food stalls lining the area, in lieu of a proper lunch to have a mini picnic on the bright green grass instead.

-

Key munches on his Gyeranppang, all the while mumbling about how unhealthy he has been eating today while Taemin lays draped on the ground, eyes getting droopier with the afternoon sun beating down on them.

“Please don’t fall asleep on me,” Key whines and thwacks him on his arm.

“I wasn’t falling asleep!” Taemin protests and rubs the spot in mock pain.

“I could literally see your eyes closing.”

“It was just the sun playing tricks on you,” Taemin jokes and props himself up on an elbow to face Key, stealing a mandu from the numerous cartons in front of him.

Key scowls. “Sure. You completely missed what I was saying earlier.”

“What were you saying earlier?”

“I was saying we should go back to the hotel and rest.”

“Rest? We have only been out for a few hours! You’re such an old man.”

Key hits his arm again and Taemin definitely does not fake the resulting hiss this time.

“If you actually listened to me before you would have caught on why I said it.”

“Okay okay why did you say it?”

“Because Daegu is much better at night, and we could go clubbing and then eat street food and stay out till like its four am, so we should rest and change and leave again.”

Taemin hums. He hasn’t danced since his injury, and he desperately wants to feel that rush again. It was an easy agreement but he still wants to milk out the moment.

“Oh?” He says in a teasing voice. “Does that idea come from experience?”

“Do you think I can’t see you’re baiting me?”

“Well, will you take it?”

“You’re so nosy,” he grumbles.

Taemin nods. “I am. Besides, if we are going to be friends I’d rather you not keep up the mysterious criminal thing.”

“We are going to be friends?”

Taemin’s confidence wavers a little but he tries not to show it.

“Sure? Why not?"

Key looks away from him and Taemin deflates, laying himself flat on the ground again forlornly.

“Do you remember the second day I stayed at your place?"

Taemin is surprised. So far Key had never brought up that part of their lives in their conversations.

"Of course I do."

“You got a call and I heard you refusing to go out saying you had assignments to do. All because you had to watch over me, a person you barely knew, someone who could even be dangerous.”

Taemin does not remember that. It was such a minor thing- he is introverted and cancelled a lot of plans a lot of times just to stay at home and roll on his bed after a tiring week. Even his friends knew that and didn’t push him much.

“I thought you were asleep most of the time.”

Key shakes his head, still looking away from him. “I wasn’t. I just didn’t have the energy to be pretend to be awake”

“As I was saying-” he continues, “That really stuck to me. I was really grateful to you for doing that”

“Um? You’re welcome I guess? I wasn’t really thinking?”

Key snorts. “That’s the thing. You don’t think about those things. I do. Too much for my liking.”

Taemin sits up again and looks at him quizzically. “How does that correlate to us being friends?”

“I am not used to friendship like that. Now don’t get me wrong I do have friends, well somewhat anyway, but it's not the kind you have. You’re a good person Taemin- let’s not mix our worlds.”

Taemin can’t help but marvel at Key's honesty, even when annoyance threatens to take over his mood.

He huffs and lays back down, “Well forgive me for trying.”

Key lets out a soft exasperated sigh. “I’m sorry. I know you mean well. I just can’t do that right now.”

Taemin feels let down, and he doesn’t know why. Sure he is friendly with everyone and doesn't like animosity but still, it is not like he goes out of his way to initiate friendship. But he did that with Key. He tries to shrug it off, maybe it is some displaced gratitude for the vacation he is provided- sure it is actually a returned favour, but it's not like he saved Key for a price. A lot of things in his life have turned out well for him because he simply did what he has to. This weird phase would also soon be a distant memory, and he won’t let it interfere with his time off.

“You better make it up to me by taking me to the best clubs in town then,” he jokes, trying to break the tension- it thankfully works because Key cracks a smile.

“Of course I will,” he retorts haughtily- and Key is back, much to Taemin’s disappointment.

-

 

“Jonghyun I want to look hot." Taemin whines after putting his phone on video call and rummaging through his luggage for something to wear.

“You always look hot Taemin,” the older teases.

He groans. “You know what I mean. I can’t do my outfit and makeup alone”

Jonghyun chooses to laugh at his misery instead of helping him.

Taemin manages to unearth his electric blue satin shirt- the one he wears to most of his dance showcases and yelps in victory. He thanks the Taemin of two days ago who had the foresight to pack something other than plain travel clothes.

“Okay, I got something to wear now will you please help me with my makeup?”

“I mean I saw the picture, I know the guy’s good looking but wow I can’t remember the last time you were this enthusiastic”

Taemin rolls his eyes. His plan of shutting up Jonghyun has completely backfired- it is now non stop teasing about him trying to get into Key’s pants instead of the other way round.

“I’m just excited to go clubbing, okay? So will you help me or not?”

“Yeah yeah of course I will you brat. Did you even get your makeup kit?

Taemin hums in reply. He is a performer- it is second nature to carry his little makeup bag everywhere after all, even when he at doing it by himself.

One hour and numerous start overs later they are finally done. His makeup is definitely not as good as it would be under expert hands, but it isn't bad either. Plus, there isn't too much intricacy involved in a light smokey look- Jonghyun's idea since Taemin isn't too skilled. He does a twirl in front of the mirror and Jonghyun wolf whistles. Taemin looks good. His dark hair is styled back to show his forehead, numerous silver earrings in place, loose shirt ed just enough to reveal a bit of his chest and collarbones, and tucked properly inside black pants to show off his waist.

Taemin has a satisfied smile on his face when he faces Jonghyun again, who turns uncharacteristically silent.

“Taemin, will you be honest with me?”

He frowns at his somber tone. “Of course.”

“This whole winning a resort stay in Pohang thing is bull isn’t it?”

Taemin stares at him dumbfounded.

“I-” he can’t lie, not when called out directly. “Yeah,” he admits quietly.

“I knew it!” Jonghyun exclaims, “Your room looks so expensive and you’re not even at Pohang yet!”

Taemin cringes. He had definitely not foreseen this in his excitement to go out partying again. Stupid, stupid Taemin.

“Please don’t tell anyone else,” he pleads. God he would not be able to take Minho’s disappointment at his lie.

Jonghyun ignores it. “Don’t tell me you’re in a sugar daddy-esque situation. I know things have been hard lately-”

“I’m not-” Taemin cuts him off. “I most certainly am not so you can rule that out immediately”

“Then what is it?”

His response is drowned by loud knocking on the door, no doubt from Key on the other side since Taemin was already running late.

“Look, I’ll explain everything later but I have to go now”

Taemin’s hand reaches out to cut the call.

“Wait Taemin.”

He pauses.

“I won’t tell anyone, and I trust that you will look out for your safety-”

Taemin smiles in relief. “Thanks Jjong.”

“-But take care of yourself. I don’t know what you’re doing, and you can explain yourself when you come back- but you need to keep me updated. I’m worried.”

The knocking gets more insistent- Taemin wonders how Key had this much energy in his wiry body.

“Okay done deal. Bye love you!”

He hangs up and runs to open the door, barely catching Key’s wrist about to land in the next knock from crashing on his face.

“Um.” Taemin tries to form a sentence but frankly he is too stunned by the man in front of him wearing a dark green lace shirt- tantalizingly see through enough to peek but not reveal, matched with black pants similar to his own but exceedingly more expensive judging by how the fabric hugged his legs. Taemin’s aware that Key knows he is checking him out when their eyes meet, but he sees interest reflected back on them, and his heart thumps uneasily.

“Blue really does look good on you.” Key says smoothly, an eyebrow raised as if challenging him. Taemin would be lying if he says he isn’t flustered, but manages to collect himself enough to reply.

“Thanks. You don’t clean up too bad yourself.”

Key hums and tilts his head. “If you let go, then we can leave now.”

Taemin belatedly realises he is still gripping his wrist, and drops it immediately like it burned him.

“Sure let’s go,” he mutters and closes the door behind him, head bowed down to hide his flushed cheeks.

Their destination turned out to be an uber hip club in one of the many busy downtown streets packed with people bar hopping or eating. Their cab drops them off to the building with possibly the longest waiting line he has seen out of all of them- a normal crowd by Seoul standards, yet crowded enough for Daegu. The bouncer has to take only one glance at them to let them in, something Taemin is used to knowing he and his friends were the kind of crowd that made the clubs look good, but still made him internally giddy each time it happened.

The strobing lights and the pulsing music makes Taemin’s fingertips tingle, and he stretches his body involuntarily- an instinct at this point when he sees the dance floor a few steps below the bar and seating, a smile taking over his face. But he needs some alcohol in him first.

“Drinks?” Key asks right on cue, and Taemin happily nods, following him to the bar.

Both of them order cocktails to start and Key snorts at Taemin’s choice of an overly sweet Cosmopolitan in contrast to his Bloody Mary, but they soon delve into a couple more hardcore drinks and ultimately finish with a round of shots. Thankfully Taemin could hold his alcohol well so he only has a pleasant buzz when he declares he is going to dance, not caring if he is leaving Key behind, their earlier conversation about friendship still playing into his mind.

Making it to the centre is easy, interested and appraising eyes parting the way for Taemin, waiting for him to make a move. He would love to dance with somebody later, the filthy sort of club dancing that was not dance at all, maybe even take them to a dark corner- but for now, he just wants to let loose. As natural as breathing he moves to the beat, years of practice and muscle memory culminating to a position where he doesn’t have to care about the particular move or execution- he knows he is looking good. Taemin gets high off the people watching- plenty of them, their admiration and want for him palpable, and he remembers why he had taken all these tough decisions all those years ago. This is his calling. Having an epiphany in the middle of a sweaty dance floor isn’t exactly the best of places, but he can't be choosy, not after all the turmoil he has been going through.

Taemin’s eyes wander up towards the bar where Key is still sipping on his drink, posture graceful and carefully unbothered as ever, but his eyes were on him. The glimmer of interest he saw earlier now spelled clear attraction, and Taemin meets his gaze boldly, confidence much higher when he is in his element. He is not sure what game they are playing. They are not friends, Taemin has acquaintances he knows better than Key, but he can’t find it in himself to care when he sees him put down his glass and walk towards Taemin with all the sleekness of a cat. He must be good at dancing too, he thinks, that lithe gait must have come from somewhere.

“I didn’t know you were this good.” Key murmurs close to his ear, a necessity to be able to talk to each other in the noise, but sending a shiver up Taemin’s spine nevertheless.

He shrugs, “It’s not like you had a chance to see before”

Key responds with a chuckle. “Touché”

Taemin shakes his head at the other standing still. “So will you dance or not?”

“Sure your majesty.” Key rolls his eyes at his demanding voice but complies, falling in step with Taemin. His hunch was right, Key is a good dancer, almost keeping up despite not being professionally trained like him.

They dance with each other for the better part of two hours, only taking breaks for drinks- Taemin's mostly water because he wants to have good control of his limbs, while Key's more alcohol, saying he doesn't get as many chances to drink as he usually drives himself. Even with Taemin’s wounded ego, he has to admit it is fun. It is interesting to play around like they are tied to each other with strings, the push and pull of Key’s body around him mimicking the way he plucked at his emotions all day, agonisingly close but never touching. This intensity, the attraction does not mean anything, and maybe Taemin wants that. He wants to be able to enjoy himself in a person’s company without any of the emotional toll it takes on him, even if it was just for a few days.

When someone drunk crashes onto Taemin’s back, shoving him onto Key who steadies him by the waist on instinct, hands lingering just a touch longer than necessary- his chest tightens in anticipation. For what exactly, he wonders but before he can examine the thought further Key is stepping back, breaking the illusion of ease they were sharing; filling their space once again with a touch of animosity.

“Are you hungry?” Key asks abruptly. “We could eat in Seomun market and then go to another bar.”

The deliberate attempt to change the atmosphere is quite apparent, but Taemin is glad. The establishment is starting to feel suffocating all of a sudden.

“Yeah,” he says breathlessly, and then firmer, “Yeah, let’s go.”

-

Key had chosen the club quite strategically because the market is only a ten minute walk away, something that Taemin really appreciates because it allows him time to clear his head. He does not have much of an appetite, but he has heard of how good the food is from Minho who often drove here. And if everything went according to plan, they would leave Daegu for Pohang tomorrow evening, so it might be his only chance to try it out.

The distant sound of music and people talking alerts Taemin that they are close, and when they turn the corner to find themselves in front of the market, his mood automatically lightens. It is bright and busy with long winding streets filled with vendors and a small stage set up for a live band. The sizzle and noise of food being prepared make his mouth water, and he smiles involuntarily. He loves places like this.

Taemin turns to look at the other, who has been silent ever since they left. Key stares ahead, a glum expression on his face, completely spaced out. It has Taemin tapping on his shoulder and the other startles, glancing at him with an expression like he forgot Taemin is standing beside him.

Taemin finds a lump in his throat as he stares into his eyes. He looked so sad.

"Hey, are you okay?"

"Yes," Key shakes his head with a forced smile, suddenly looking like the twenty five year old he actually is. "Just some memories came back to me."

Taemin opens his mouth to ask, but Key already starts walking.

“You should definitely try the Makchang, it is the speciality here,” he chats cheerily, stopping in front of a shop selling the beef intestines in cups. Taemin follows him, wishing he is a little more brave. If it was Minho or Jonghyun they would not have let it go, and talked to him until he looked better. But Taemin is Taemin, and he is awkward and cowardly and didn’t deal with feelings well, so he doesn’t say anything when Key hands him a serving and pays for their food.

Key’s movements are a bit sluggish, Taemin notices when they sit with their food in one of the many plastic chairs, and he belatedly realises he had a few more drinks than Taemin did. While he can tell Key isn’t that bad in terms of alcohol tolerance, he could also be the kind who got emotional instead. Taemin figures it's probably only that and there is no cause for worry.

Key vacantly looks at the band performing a few metres away from them. It is a rock band. Not particularly Taemin's taste but it is pleasant with the atmosphere.

“This market sells clothes and fabric in the morning you know,” he suddenly voices, making Taemin’s thoughts break away from guessing which song is being performed.

Taemin doesn’t, but he nods along anyway.

“Did you come here a lot because of the clothes?”

The shock on Key’s face at Taemin remembering his penchant for fashion breaks his heart a little. It isn’t that big of a deal. At least, Taemin doesn’t think so.

He nods hesitantly, “Yeah I used to thrift a lot here. Made outfits from the cheap pieces. My grandmother only gave me a small allowance after all. Not that I blame her, we had to save whatever we had”

Taemin pauses mid-bite. That is the most he has ever talked about himself, at least when it comes to things beyond surface level. It almost felt invasive, with how tipsy the older evidently is. But for once, it is not even Taemin who has initiated it with his various questions.

“You lived with your grandmother?”

“She raised me.”

He doesn’t know what to say after that- this is clearly a sensitive topic. He eats his food in silence for a few minutes, letting the chatter of their surroundings lull him.

“What? You won’t ask me anything else?” Key jokes and faces him, although his voice sounds dull. “You always ask so much.”

“I thought you don’t like being asked questions,” he replies honestly.

“I don’t. But as I said before, it's nothing personal.”

Taemin shrugs for the lack of a better response. Personal or not, he is not going to force Key to spill all his life secrets. It’d be nicer to have a more...normal person on a trip with him, but he can’t really complain when everything about this is extraordinary as it is.

“I don’t know why I agreed on this trip if I was being honest. Who knows what my family is doing up in Seoul. I am constantly worried about having put you at risk somehow. I am not a dangerous person, but I am in danger far too much for me to be comfortable.”

For the first time, the reality of their situation settles inside Taemin, the intestine he is chewing on tasting a lot like the chalk he ate when he was eleven. He sits stupefied while Key continues talking, uncharacteristically elongating the conversation even when he doesn’t receive a reply.

“I wish it wasn’t that way. My grandmother passed away just before I would start university, right here in Daegu and with a major in textile designing. Did you know this is the textile hub of the country”, his words tumble out one after the other as if he can’t speak them quickly enough, “but my extended family took advantage of me having left without a home and got me involved in whatever this is, because they'd rather have members of the family handle their work than get outsiders.”

Key seems close to tears, and Taemin grabs his hand on the table in panic in a flimsy attempt to comfort him. It apparently works because it distracts him enough to stop talking.

“Ah, Key I think you have had too much to drink. Let’s go back to the hotel?”

"Kibum."

"What?"

"My name's Kibum."

".....Okay. What's Key then?"

"Something I use so I don't have to give out my actual name. You didn't seriously think my real name is Key."

Taemin shrugs, "I didn't think much. Besides, you looked stylish enough to have a western name like Key."

That makes him laugh. A snotty breathless cackle that makes Taemin feel worse than better. He sounds like he is in pain.

“You should..,” Key holds his hand tighter. “You should live your life well Lee Taemin. You’re a good guy.”

Taemin tilts his head in confusion. Key’s thoughts are running faster than he can catch up.

“Kibum,” he tries out the new name, attempting to reel in the conversation in a way he understood. “Why did you bring us to Daegu if this is so painful for you?”

It takes a few minutes for him to answer.

“I just,” he sighs and looks away. “I just wanted to come back home this once. With someone who doesn’t remind me of my life. I can’t make the trip here alone.”

Taemin sits back in his chair, a sigh leaving his lips.

Key stares at him, sharp eyes clouded with emotion.

“We are both using this holiday as an excuse to escape.” Taemin ultimately admits.

“I suppose we are.”

“You’re so going to regret telling me all this when you wake up tomorrow.”

He makes a sound of protest. “I’m not drunk, at least not enough to not be aware of what I am saying.”

“Does that mean you trust me then?”

Key furrows his eyebrows. Kibum Kibum Kibum, Taemin reminds himself.

“There was never a point where I didn’t trust you. You saved my life.”

Taemin snorts. “Then why do I have to wheedle out conversations from you?”

He shrugs. “Not used to talking about myself. I’d rather not.”

“You’re like a coconut.”

“A what?”

“You know those hard shell fruits-”

“I know what a coconut is Taemin.”

“Well you are like one. All hard on the outside and soft on the inside.”

“Do you always say weird stuff?”

“Yes. Anyway, we need to crack you.”

This time Kibum’s laugh is much more genuine, and Taemin finds his chest feeling a bit lighter.

“There is not much use cracking is going to do.”

“Yeah well, if I can at least have conversations with you so I don’t get bored to death then I will take it as a win. You will try to be more open and I will try to ask less questions. Do we have a deal?”

Kibum looks at him as if he has just opened a tin of danish cookies and for once it is the actual confection instead of sewing supplies. Taemin squirms under the attention, but shoots him a small smile.

“Deal.”