Chapter Three

The Devil Kissed Me

“Taemin!”

Taemin groans before he gruffly yells back. “Yes boss!”

His co-worker offers him a sympathetic smile to which he shrugs back in return, feet shuffling to the manager’s office.

“I read your request for a month’s paycheck in advance.”

Taemin keeps his head down and nods in acknowledgement, lest his boss sees his peeved expression.

The manager hums, tapping his fingers on the table in impatience. “Since you missed work for so many days, I can’t trust you with the money at the moment. You can come back to me after a month.”

Taemin’s face snaps up at this, unable to control his vexation.

“I won’t need it next month. I need it now to make rent because I missed the pay for the days I didn’t work, as you so kindly mentioned.”

He is aware of how caustic his tone sounds, but at this point he isn’t bothered. If he is going to get kicked out, he might as well stand up for himself.

The other lets out a long suffering sigh, as if all of this is a mere inconvenience and Taemin is just a nasty pest he has to swat away.

“Go back to work Taemin, it's been a long day.”

Yeah, long day sitting on his ,he thinks bitterly but reluctantly assents and walks out- resolve crumbling as soon as the moment is over. Taemin has only forty minutes left on his clock anyway- if he manages to daydream about a vacation well enough it will pass by in a blink. No use losing the miniscule income that he has on protecting his pride.

His hands move mechanically to restock shelves for the remainder of his shift, mind thinking of the text rather than a holiday in the Bahamas like he planned to. Taemin didn’t answer back, and he isn’t sure if he even wants to. It was only yesterday that he freaked out over it and almost called Minho, only to remember at the last moment that he never told him that the stranger Taemin had saved from a car crash was actually potentially dangerous and was nursed for three days by his own hands because he couldn’t be taken to a hospital. Minho would kill him for that before anyone else would have the chance to. The thought of Minho’s big eyes pretending to be angry with him while his body language betrays the worry he really holds endears Taemin so much that he catches his smiling reflection on the glass of the frozen diary section, which immediately makes his eyes water and he looks away, blinking rapidly to stop the oncoming tears. He misses him so much. If only he had not been a failure and was able to make time for his friends instead of working nearly fifteen hours in a retail job that pays him dust.

With the last item shelved he virtually throws himself out of the store, his mood even sourer than before- a task he considered impossible with his already gloomy temperament but what is Taemin about if not constantly proving himself wrong.

The feet that once couldn’t walk home fast enough now drag one after the other, as if trying to delay the inevitable sleepless night he is going to face in bed. He silently prays that the bus will be late today, if only to give him an excuse to spend a little more time by himself in the balmy night air.

 

“Lee Taemin, fancy seeing you here.”

Taemin whips around to find the source of the voice, eyes landing on a man. The man. He leans gracefully against the wall of a closed shop, equal parts a picture of poise and coiled tension, his all black suit ensemble accentuating his almost feline features.

Key is the most well dressed criminal Taemin has ever seen.

Taemin would like to say he feels some dramatic emotion at the moment, maybe some overwhelming sentiment, maybe fear, maybe distress- but much like their first meeting, he is quite resigned to his circumstances.

“That line would have been cooler if I didn’t know that you followed me around.”

“I didn’t follow you.”

“How else would you know where I work and when I get off? Getting information still counts as stalking.”

Key laughs. A rough breathy chuckle that contrasts heavily against his polished appearance, and Taemin is wonderstruck about how different he looked from the time they had parted ways- both in demeanour and behavior.

“You’re funny. If you didn’t want me to find you then why did you text me?”

“You could have asked for my address.”

“I know where you live. You haven’t changed residence.”

“Then why here? You just wanted to be a show off didn’t you?”

Key holds up his hands in mock surrender, a genuine smile of amusement playing on his lips.

“Maybe. Still doesn’t explain why you are so indignant to see me despite having contacted me first.”

Taemin looks away, feeling caught.

“I might have made an impulsive decision.”

“Sometimes impulsiveness comes from the most honest places.”

Taemin pointedly glares at a random advertisement on the wall, refusing to even look at him as embarrassment clouds his thoughts. He hates feeling vulnerable, even in front of his friends, much less in front of a man he barely knows. He can’t wear his emotions on a sleeve like Jonghyun or Minho, and neither is he good at expressing his worries like Jinki. He keeps to himself, and tries his best. It is mortifying that he sent him a message in a moment of weakness.

Key clears his throat when it becomes apparent he is not going to initiate a response.

“Anyway. I will keep my word. I owe you a favour, so I will see it is done.” He pauses to gauge his face for a reaction. “What I need from you is details as to how exactly I can make that happen.”

Taemin waits for a few beats and sighs, realising he might as well make the best of this opportunity now that it was all out in the open.

“Figuring that out might be a bit complicated.”

Key shrugs nonchalantly, “Thought it would be. So shall we?”

 

Hours later Taemin is splayed out on the living room floor, tired after unexpectedly pouring out all his emotions to Key, who calmly munches on leftover store bought kimbap, looking extremely out of place perching on his old ratty sofa.

Key offered to drive him home and discuss things, to which Taemin gladly agreed despite being slightly nervous at the thought of being in the same vehicle with someone who he had rescued from a car crash of all things. The other laughs when Taemin makes him check the brakes before getting in, remembering how he had said his’ had been sabotaged by his rivals at the time. Although Key acts all unbothered, Taemin observes how cautious he really is- walking around his car thrice to scrutinise it, driving like an old man- hands on the steering wheel at all times, feet light on the accelerator and barely any conversation. He doesn’t know whether he is generally like this or if he is doing it for Taemin’s sake, but either way it puts his mind at ease.

“The way I see it,” Key starts, breaking him out of his thoughts. “The solution to your problems- to make you happy-” he gestures his fingers in a quotation to emphasize, “is quite simple.”

Taemin raises himself up on his elbows to look at him skeptically. “How so?”

“We just need to get you another audition- actually nevermind, I can get you a permanent position, I have a few strings I can pull. A better apartment.” He looks around distastefully at his haphazardly decorated place. “A vacation probably, and you’d be all set. Simple.”

Taemin scoffs. "You haven't even seen me dance. Are your strings powerful enough to hold a position for someone who would be horrible at it?"

Key fixes his eyes on him, sharply taking in Taemin from head to toe, and he tries hard not to blush at the attention.

"Seeing how bothered you are by this, and your general work ethic, we both know that isn't an issue. You know you're good."

Taemin stares back at him at a loss for words.

"Still isn't that easy," he finally manages to say.

"You're making it difficult."

Taemin shakes his head. "Not really. I asked for happiness. I won't be happy with my job knowing I got it from a favour, no matter how good I am."

Key crosses his arms and sighs.

"I see your point. So what do you suggest instead?"

Taemin sits up, shoulders sagging as he tries to think of something.

“I guess a vacation would be nice. Though I don’t think my manager will give me enough holidays.”

“You don’t have to worry about that, I’ll handle it. Text me when you decide a place and time, I’ll get going then.”

Key neatly folds his empty kimbap wrapper and lifts himself up from his seat, clearly making the move to leave immediately.

Taemin furrows his eyebrows in surprise, “Wait. You’re going to leave just like that?”

“Um...yeah? What else do you need?”

He heaves a sigh and shakes his head. Really, what else does Taemin want anyway? But he can’t help but feel unsatisfied. Though he knows there will never be a one stop solution to his problems, surely there will be something that makes him feel better?

“Nothing. You’re right, you can leave now,” he opts to say instead.

That makes Key halt in his movements, and he tilts his head and studies Taemin carefully.

This time Taemin does flush under the gaze, choosing to pick at the worn carpet to have something to do with his hands.

“The bigger problem isn’t your lack of a job or a break is it? It is definitely plaguing you sure, but it's not the only reason you are unhappy. You’re lonely.”

Taemin tugs at a thread harshly, irritation bubbling up his throat. He does not appreciate being read like an open book so many times in a single night, especially when he himself failed to recognise his issue.

“What are you? A therapist? Aren’t you a contract killer or something?”

Key rolls his eyes and sits back down, a bemused smile playing on his face.

“What makes you think I am a contract killer? You would be surprised at how little they are paid. Definitely not enough to fund vacations.”

“I don’t know,” he retorts. “It might be the two bullets I pulled out of your stomach three years ago.”

The other huffs out a disbelieved laugh, as if expecting to Taemin to know everything about him when all he knows about Key is that he is possibly a few years older than him- he speculates around twenty-six to Taemin’s twenty-three- that he whines and complains a lot about the smallest things when he is in pain, and that he gets himself involved in dangerous situations that are one way or the other the doing of the profession he is in. Truth be told, Taemin doesn’t think much about these useless musings that will lead to nowhere. He is a very focused person, even down to his thoughts.

“I don’t kill for a living, if that is what you are thinking. I will not deny that I have done dubious deeds, but nothing in the realm of taking lives.”

Taemin sits up intrigued, his earlier annoyance forgotten in the light of new knowledge. If Key notices, he doesn’t mention anything, instead mimicking his action and leaning ahead to continue the conversation.

“But you are part of the mob right? And you still got almost killed? How do you explain that?”

Key hums and nods in agreement, “I am. But not in the way you see on TV. My family is part of a large syndicate. While it did start out as you imagine mobs to be, our generation is too big to be involved in petty crimes anymore. More white collar. Money laundering, fraud- that sort. We own legitimate business fronts. Sometimes conflicts occur between the members of the syndicate, families can be targeted as a warning. You caught me in a situation that was exactly that.”

Taemin chortles, “That’s one hell of a warning.”

Key simply shrugs in reply.

Taemin takes a moment to digest all the information, his mind whirring to a conclusion.

“So essentially, you’re telling me you are just a filthy rich person who owns questionable businesses?”

Taemin is slightly offended at how surprised Key looks at his accurate summarization.

“I am one among my many cousins who own it but yes, essentially.”

Key is just unnaturally wealthy. Taemin feels a bit disappointed in himself now knowing that he was scared for his life for nothing. Most people with that amount of money are questionable anyway.

“That still doesn’t explain why you wouldn’t go to a hospital.”

Key huffs, “You ask a lot of questions don’t you? If you have to know- some things we try to keep off the record. The police? Easy to buy. Hospital records for gunshots? Not so much. Our whole system works on invisibility from society. If we went to the hospital every time someone tried to kill us, we wouldn’t be good at what we do.”

“So you’d rather die than be an inconvenience to your family’s business? That is some extreme level of peer pressure.”

At this, Key cackles. Taemin would call it villainous laughter if not for the fact that it sounds a little self-deprecating to his ears.

“It sounds funny when you put it that way. But I guess that it is.”

“Besides,” Key continues, “the moment you rescued me, I knew I wouldn’t end up dying on the street, because you would help me. You’re too kind for anything else.”

“Is that supposed to be an insult for you being able to take advantage of my naiveness?”

“No. I meant it as a compliment,” he responds softly. “It’s not easy to stumble upon people like you, not in the kind of life I lead anyway.”

Taemin clears his throat awkwardly, not used to the sudden tenderness from the other.

“Uh alright. So about that vacation…?”

It takes a moment for Key to answer, seemingly too lost in thought.

“Yeah? Did you decide somewhere to go?”

“I decided you are right. I am lonely.”

That brings back Key’s cocky attitude, a smug smile on his lips in contrast to the more forlorn look only moments ago. That relaxes Taemin- he isn’t exactly sure what to make of the more sensitive side of Key, and he’d rather stick to the things he already knew, like the ‘told you so’ expression on the other’s face at Taemin’s admission.

“But I want that holiday. But I also don’t have someone to take it with.”

Key hums, resting his chin on his hand as he listens to him, a signal to continue.

“So there is one solution really- you have to go along with me,” Taemin says and starts smiling, knowing how angelic and pure it looks, despite its intentions never actually being close to it.

Key stares at him, speechless for the first time that night, and Taemin’s grin grows even bigger at the triumph.

“You can’t be serious.”

“Oh no but I am-” Taemin bats his eyelashes. “-extremely serious.”

Honestly? Taemin isn’t sure at all. He just wants to catch him off guard, and if he agrees- well, there’s no harm in it. If Key tags along on his so-called vacation he will be there to pay for his every little expense, as well as provide interesting company. Taemin is not above exploiting rich people, and as a working class member of society he definitely feels like he has a right to.

“Does that smile work on everyone?” Key sounds flustered.

“Usually, yes.”

He groans, and Taemin knows a sound of defeat when he hears one.

“I won’t be able to travel internationally. There are some things that we are handling that need me to be off the radar. Are you sure you still want that?”

Taemin shrugs, “Doesn’t matter to me. A holiday is a holiday. It can even be a road trip if you’re that adamant on staying off the radar.”

"You're stubborn," he retorts, coming out as more of a statement than a snub.

Taemin smiles and meets his eyes, "Thought you had figured that out already with all the mind reading you were doing."

To his displeasure, Key doesn't look away, and actually holds his stare boldly. Both of them refuse to break eye contact, the smirk on Key’s lips mirroring Taemin’s own.

The trip is going to be a challenge, but it is one Taemin badly needs.

-

“So, I will be away for a week”

“A WHOLE WEEK?” Minho yells and it's loud enough for Taemin to wince and pull the phone away from his ear, ultimately deciding to put it on speaker so he can continue folding his clothes.

He hears Jonghyun sigh, “Yes Minho, we all heard him there is no need to shout.”

Taemin grins, knowing his plan to have a conference call worked in his favour. It saves him time to inform them one by one and also acts as a buffer from Minho’s sometimes overbearing nature. It’s perfect.

“Taemin, isn’t that too much? How will you get time off work? And the money?” As always he appreciates Jinki’s voice of reason- he makes it sound more concerned than probing, although he has every right to question Taemin after he sprang this on them completely out of the blue.

Taemin hums to make sure they know he’s still on the line while he thinks of the right way to word his made-up story. The satisfaction of telling his friends about how apologetic his manager was when he called him and gave him a week off, and even offered it as a paid leave is too hilarious to pass up but he has to cut some corners if he wants them to worry less about him.

“I told you at the start!” he playfully whines, hoping it will be distracting enough, “An old friend called up and told me he won a trip to a resort in Pohang- all expenses paid. But it’s a couple’s offer and he doesn’t have someone to take and he knows I am free so he’d rather ask me than have it wasted.”

“Sounds fishy,” Minho says, his tone sounding more miffed than Taemin would like. “We’ve never heard about this friend before.”

Jonghyun laughs, “Have you looked at Taemin? I won’t blame the guy for hitting him up with an offer like that even if the last time they talked was when they were thirteen.”

Taemin rolls his eyes at that, pausing his movements to glare at his phone screen even though it is just a voice call, “Shut up. The only thing you are right about is that he is in fact a school friend, which is why you don’t know him.”

“I am inclined to agree with Minho on this one, it does seem a bit dodgy,” Jinki adds.

“You know how much I have wanted a break, guys. And my boss agreed for a leave too,” More like coerced to. “It's the perfect timing. Look, it's not like it's overseas- I can take care of myself for a local trip, can’t I? And it's not like the person is an absolute stranger either.”

 

He is definitely stretching the truth far on this one.

 

“He’s right,” Jonghyun agrees. “This could be really nice for him. As much as we act like his parents sometimes, he is not our child and he could have perfectly gone through the week without telling us anything, but I’m glad you did, Taemin.”

 

God, he loves Jonghyun so much.

 

He takes the silence on the line from Minho and Jinki as a begrudging agreement.

 

Taemin clears his throat, “So anyway, I’ll have to pack since we are leaving tomorrow morning. I will text everyone later?”

 

“Sure. Have fun okay? Text us with lots of pictures and updates. It will feel like we are there with you too,” Jonghyun says happily and it makes him feel warm. Taemin really wishes at least one of them was free- he would rather take the trip with any of them in a heartbeat.

 

Jinki hums assent, “Take care Taemin, we love you.”

 

“I love you guys a lot too.”

 

“Can I see you before you leave? I just got done with work so I’ll be there in an hour?” Minho says, catching him by surprise.

 

“Uh sure?”

 

His heart flutters a bit erratically even when he tries his best not to be affected.

 

Jonghyun quickly initiates the round of goodbyes, being the only one who knows what Taemin is going through at the moment.

 

Taemin cuts the call and sits on his bed to gather himself, clothes forgotten for now. He doesn’t really have feelings for Minho- at least not at the intensity it had started out two years ago. He does struggle sometimes, but the past month has been easier on him. But moments like this, when Minho goes out of the way to care for him, even when it’s nothing more than him being his compassionate self- something he would do for any of them, it still makes Taemin jittery with nerves, like the very first time he realised he liked him.

 

He pushes his thoughts aside and goes back to packing. Taemin’s parents had not been able to afford a vacation for a while, not with two children to raise, so his experience is very limited and he has to double check to make sure he has everything he’ll need. He knows he can simply ask Key to buy things along the way if he forgets something, but his instincts make sure he would rather just pack what he can to save money. This exploiting the rich thing is hard when you don't think like them.

 

Folding clothes to fit a suitcase definitely took more time than he thought because he was only halfway done with his planned outfits when the doorbell rang, breaking him out of his mechanical daze.

 

“Coming!” He calls out and abandons everything immediately, a big genuine smile breaking out on his face when he opens the door to Minho’s mirroring grin.

 

The warm hug that follows almost has Taemin tearing up.

 

“I missed you a lot. You don’t look good though, these bags under your eyes don’t suit you.”

 

Taemin snorts. “The first sentence was fine, but for the second one you could have been a little less honest.”

 

Minho chuckles, knowing very well Taemin appreciated his bluntness no matter how much he complained about it.

 

“So,” he pauses to kick off his shoes neatly before walking inside. “Tell me more about this trip. Did you have dinner yet by the way? Let’s order some chicken. My treat.”

 

Taemin shakes his head and purposefully only answers the second part of his question. “I haven’t. Order the spicy one for me, I have a bottle of soju we can share.”

 

Minho nods, lips in a tight line as he taps away on his phone, “You’re avoiding my question.”

 

“No I’m not!”

 

“Yes you did. Lee Taemin I have known you for a while now, so I know when you are being purposely vague.”

 

Taemin sighs. “I am not being vague. I genuinely don’t know what’s planned,” he decides to be honest to him, at least as much as he can without divulging the complete truth. “We will probably take a road trip to Pohang- the drive’s scenic and nicer than taking a flight or a train. Once we reach, a few days in a pretty resort. And I come back home, that’s it.”

 

“And this guy? Will you be able to stand him enough to stay this long? Even if he was a good friend of yours, a lot can change in the span of only a few years.”

 

Taemin can tell he is trying hard to wrap his head around this, and he knows it's difficult for someone like Minho- who thrives in familiarity and familial relationships, to comprehend something as random as this. He smiles softly, appreciating the sentiment.

 

“I don’t know,” he admits. “But it won’t hurt to try.”

 

Minho sighs. “I guess you’re right. Anyway, I got you something.”

 

Taemin perks up at this, curiously peeking at Minho rummaging through his bag. He had started work in a stationery company as a designer, something that Taemin thinks is perfect for Minho- artistic and practical. Taemin is too clumsy and forgetful to own expensive and pretty things like that, but he really likes admiring them nevertheless, and gets excited whenever he brings around knick knacks from the factory.

 

Minho makes a small sound of victory when he retrieves a palm sized box and pushes it towards Taemin.

 

Taemin’s lips form an O. “What’s this?”

 

Minho laughs. "Open it first!"

 

Taemin carefully removes the flimsy cardboard box- not wanting to ruin the gift with his penchant of breaking things and slides the light object onto his hand. It’s a sleek portable battery pack, the black surface decorated with tiny floral stickers from the brand Minho is employed at.

 

"I wanted to give you something for your trip and I know you are not used to traveling and you also keep forgetting to charge your phone so I thought this would be best for you. Imagine my surprise when you said it's a road trip because really, this is perfect. Do you like it?"

 

The fact that he had not only bought him something, but also took the time to think about what he really needed, and then even personalize it, has Taemin tongue tied.

 

He is slightly overwhelmed as he clasps the battery delicately in his hands and smiles.

 

"I love it. Thank you so much."

 

Minho gives him a bright smile of his own in response before the doorbell rings and breaks the moment.

 

“Must be the food, I’ll be right back.”

 

Taemin nods and stands up to get the glasses and soju- extremely thankful for the distraction the delivery had provided. Any more of Minho’s smiles directed at him and Taemin was surely working his heart up to a .

 

They get through dinner rather quickly- Minho hungry from a tiring work day, and Taemin from a skipped lunch. It almost felt like a date, if not for the half full bottle of soju sitting on his table as a reminder for Minho refusing a second helping- not wanting to be hungover for breakfast with Jinki tomorrow. Just as well- crush or not, Taemin is happy for his friends. He never let his feelings interfere with their relationship and he doesn’t intend to start now.

 

Taemin haphazardly packs the rest of his luggage after Minho leaves- it is too late already for any more careful arrangement and he is too tired for it anyway. He could have done a better job if not for Key informing him of the trip suddenly the morning after the night they talked, telling him that they leave the next day and making Taemin rush through the preparations. While he had expected it to be soon, considering Key looked in a hurry to be done with the favour, he had not imagined it to be this fast, and apparently it could have been even quicker if Key didn’t have business to take care of before his absence from it for a week. Taemin supposes a lot of things can be done straightway without having to mindfully research and budget for it in advance.

 

He shoves his suitcase in the living room and falls into an uneasy sleep, nervousness churning in his gut in anticipation for the week ahead.