Chapter Two

The Devil Kissed Me

Smoke. That is all Taemin sees as he steps out of his car, having narrowly missed a crash after swerving from the very vehicle that is now wrecked in front of him. Even with more pressing matters at hand, he instinctively checks his car for damages. It’s his landlady’s- borrowed so that he didn’t have to wait for public transportation at 2 a.m after work, and he certainly can’t afford to get it repaired on a first year college student’s income. Satisfied with his driving skills having saved both him and his money, he looks ahead- the sight making bile rise up in his throat.

All that’s left of the other car is a crumpled mass of metal after colliding with a large tree, the expensive looking sedan lurching into it. The smoke from the dying engine obscures the extent of the mishap in the dark, but he knows it is moments away from catching on fire if the petroleum trickling down the empty street is anything to go by. After half a second of hesitation, Taemin decides to examine it closer. Even if the accident looks too fatal to have survivors, he wouldn’t be able to live with himself if he didn’t at least check- especially when there is no time to wait for help.

His heartbeat pulses erratically when he finds the vehicle in an even worse condition than it initially appeared- sharp branches having completely pierced through the windshield and wrapping around it like a shroud. Still in disbelief, he looks around until he spots a man writhing on the ground a few metres away- clearly having jumped out right before the impact. Taemin lets out a relieved breath and wastes no time in advancing towards him, fleetingly noting how bloody his torso looked for someone whose fall should have dislocated and wounded a few limbs at best. The man hisses as he moves to scoop him up in his arms, instinctively curling in a foetal position. With a little prodding, Taemin manages to hold him securely and sways a little under the weight, trying to make his way back as quickly as his legs would allow.

Once the man is safely deposited in the backseat- Taemin grimacing at the thought of having to clean and bleach the seats to get rid of the blood, he swiftly reverses the car and backs out of the scene, speeding up more than he usually ever would.

He slows down when the crash is long out of sight and takes a deep breath, free hand reaching to retrieve his mobile from the passenger seat. Taemin doesn't want to be in a mess- he will inform the police like a responsible citizen and take the man to the hospital. He can do that. Fortunately the road was empty enough for it to be safe to divert his attention in ringing the emergency number.

“Hello, Emergency Services, how can we help you?”

“Yes I-” Taemin is cut off abruptly as his phone is swatted to the side, and he shrieks in surprise.

A wiry hand reached out from the back, shaking like a leaf but still held firm.

“No hospitals.” The man murmurs- small but audible.

“Uh.” Taemin is too rooted in shock to form an intelligent response, his mind racing with the thought of the kind of person who he had brought into the car- the kind who refuses to go to a hospital even at the brink of death.

“Just drop me somewhere on the side of the road.” He pauses to heave, the sound of it so agonising it grates in Taemin’s ears. “You should not have taken me in at all.”

Taemin splutters in incredulity, clutching the steering wheel with both hands in an attempt to ground himself as he struggles to form a response.

“That wasn’t an option. And it's not an option to let you out either because you will clearly die if I do.”

The man lets out a guttural laugh at his answer, sounding more melancholic than he probably intends to. “Oh. We have a good soul here. Tell me, are you ready to land in trouble for taking me to any place that keeps records?”

That makes Taemin waver in his resolution. He really does not want to be associated in any way to organised crime- but neither is he heartless enough to let him die. It all comes down to whether the person will even survive without professional care, and if Taemin is willing to nurse him otherwise. He glimpses him through the rearview mirror, the man panting in pain- and feels pity wash over him. Taemin’s decision is already made.

“I don’t live alone.” He lapses into momentary silence, choosing his next words carefully.

“But my roommate is out for the weekend. I do not know the extent of your injuries nor am I a doctor, but I can give you first aid and a place to rest until you are good enough to leave on your own. I will try my best, if you do yours to stay alive. Do we have a deal?”

He strains his ears for a reply, despite already having switched lanes to go back home.

“Deal.”

-

Taemin wakes up with a start, groggy from sleeping in way more hours than he is used to. It is a rare day off work, but when he feels the telltale pounding in his temples signalling the beginning of a headache, he regrets not having set an alarm. What a shame too, since he doesn't feel rested at all either- memories of the night he met Key granting him a fitful night at best.

He jolts awake when he realises what triggered them in the first place, and quickly unlocks his phone. It was years ago after all, the guy probably already changed numbers right? Or blocked him? Did Taemin seriously contact him again? Someone needs to stop him from doing impulsive things.

His hopes are squashed by a single notification on the screen.

You have one unread message from Key: "Understood."