Chapter 6

From Zero to Eleven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sehun sighs, he has had this conversation with his boss for the umpteenth time, he is not exaggerating. She is not at all listening to him. He is frustrated. He doesn't get angry easily, especially not with people he is not close to but this is hard, he is close to snapping, he hates it when people don't listen to his perspective when it comes to writing and editing. 

 

It is hard for him to listen to others at times, even when it comes to criticism and he hates arguments out right. Even listening to them and being involved in one? That is a headache, he would rather run away than confront things like these. "That is not right, not every soulmate meeting will go like that."

 

"Sehun-ssi, there is no soulmate rejection in real life for a reason." She emphasizes.

 

Sehun rolls his eyes, "It is not 100% hopeful all the time." Life isn't a bed of roses. Things don't just become magical after people meet their soulmates, things get better yes but everyone has their fair share of struggles in life. Life isn't just about optimism.

 

A deep sigh from the other side, she is probably holding her forehead and Sehun is pinching his nose on this side. "We have talked about this Sehun-ssi, I know you write serious stuff all the time, I know real life has hardships but how about something hopeful for a change? Life isn't only about struggles and you promised that you will write something different, we are going back to square one, we are going in circles."

 

Sehun says coldly, "I will think about it, apologies, I will get back to you." He hangs up before she can say anything, actually she was saying something when he cut the phone. She calls him back but he isn't in a mood to pick it up again. She texts him and he responds that he will reply later. He doesn't even read her text.

 

He feels bad about snapping at his editor, usually, he is very sincere and polite but recently, it has been very difficult. She wants him to move on and change his way of writing and he has been finding it hard. She has been pushing his buttons and in turn, he hers. He is surprised that he hasn't been fired yet. She is too professional to do that. And Sehun knows that she is right, he can't keep on writing about the same things forever, he needs to explore. Damn it. She is not at all wrong. He shouldn't be taking it out on her. Honestly. He feels embarrassed.

 

Chanyeol knocks on his lightly ajar door. Sehun wants the ground to swallow him up, did his mates hear him? , he forgot to close the door, it is so easy to slip because he is comfortable around them.

 

Chanyeol states softly, "You haven't eaten, Sehun ah." Sehun didn't have a proper breakfast this morning or a dinner the night before despite his mates' push. It is way past his lunch time.

 

He has fallen into his vicious cycle of deadlines and work but his soulmates make sure to take care of him, they don't disturb him a lot but they make sure he eats and sleeps and stays hydrated and gets enough exercise. Well as much as they can because sometimes Sehun just retreats into himself and it is hard for them to leave him alone.

 

They don't force him but Sehun can tell that they are worried.

 

Chanyeol shows it openly. Very openly. He has actually been a little assertive these days, more than usual and it is not his usual hyper happy virus kind of thingy either. Sehun knows the difference. Chanyeol is making it obvious, after all.

 

He comes inside the room with a plate filled with food and juice. He closes the door behind him with his leg and places it on the table.

 

"Eat, please."

 

Sehun's shoulder falls in defeat. He feels like Chanyeol would feed him otherwise. He wouldn't mind but not in this situation and not the entire meal. He grabs the chair and starts poking around the food and eats a few bites as his stomach growls loudly.

 

Chanyeol shakes his head, "Properly, Sehun."

 

After Sehun has finished half of his plate and it is blatant that he can't eat anymore - normally, he eats a lot but not when he has work - that he doesn't want to, Chanyeol starts. 

 

Chanyeol states the obvious, "Sehun, you had a disagreement, about soulmates." He is standing, his back against the wall, watching Sehun patiently play with and eat his food. He grabs another chair and drags it near Sehun and plops down, their knees brushing on purpose.

 

Sehun just bites his nails. A bad habit he can't give up on. He does things like these often, when stressed, biting nails or picking on his eyebrows or scratching himself hard till there are red marks.

 

Chanyeol continues, "I heard it, clearly. I am sorry but yea." He probably didn't mean to but he was right outside, worried, trying to get Sehun his food and Sehun's door was conveniently open.

 

Sehun was loud, he usually isn't and he hates noise. A red flag. They have been seeing a lot of Sehun's sides just like Sehun has been seeing theirs. This is a new experience for all of them.

 

Chanyeol hesitates, he places his hands over Sehun's clasped ones, he gets to the point, bluntly. "Sehun, I have read your stories. All of them. I love them."

 

Sehun feels like an open book, pun not intended, he uses penname like Jongdae for the same reason. He wants to be anonymous, he isn't embarrassed about his work, he is quite proud of it, he loves it with a passion like that of a fire but he values his privacy more. But strangely, that didn't apply with his mates. They are always an exception in his barren life.

 

And it is like Chanyeol is looking deep into his soul. Chanyeol is always like that, never taking outside appearances but always on the look out for something more.

 

All of his mates know about his penname just like they know Jongdae's. His mates, they know all about each other's work. Sehun shared his too because a part of him was impulsive and he wanted them to appreciate his work and he wanted feedback. He wanted to be understood, more so than he already is because his works are much different from Sehun as a person, as a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter