Chapter 5

From Zero to Eleven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sehun notices and watches Baekhyun often. And he realizes that Baekhyun isn't just about fun and laughter. Sehun doesn't know why, it is not very easy to approach Baekhyun like he can with others (and that is also work in progress) and Baekhyun doesn't approach him a lot too. Kind of mutual. They are still figuring each other out. They hesitate around each other which they don't do with their other mates.

 

But Sehun realizes a few things about Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun is like a puppy. He is like a soft, cute, innocent puppy. Small, fluffy and adorable. Always eager to please. Eager to make others happy. Eager to help out even if he makes a mess, even if he doesn't know how to, just full of energy. 

 

Just where does that much energy come from in that small body? Baekhyun wearing soft, comfy, cozy, large sweaters makes it even more obvious. He is very hard to ignore. Especially his sweater paws. Just so rightly huggable. Loud noises are present wherever he is.

 

So lively, full of sunshine and cuddles and kisses and mimicry and ideas and jokes. B. Always trying out something new, always moving around here and there, popping up like a ninja, being everywhere and anywhere all at once.

 

Animals like him a lot. Vivi and Toben both adore him. More often than not, it is Baekhyun's bed on which they lie down for sleeping. More often than not, he sees his mates gravitating towards Baekhyun's bed for cuddles, especially after a hard day. And even if it is not a hard day, even on a normal day, Sehun notices his mates feeding Baekhyun, being fed by him, cuddling Baekhyun during movie nights, cuddling him during cooking, during games, things like that.

 

Baekhyun maybe small, he might not be a baby giant like Chanyeol but his presence is quite huge and complete.

 

Baekhyun's actions are not so different from Vivi and Toben. He even teases and mimics Vivi and Toben, it isn't surprising at all, right in front of them and they still love him, especially Toben. Toben is Baekhyun personified, flitting around like ninja here and there, just a black blur, god damn hyper active. Toben is Baekhyun, Baekhyun is Toben (sometimes Chanyeol is also Toben, Toben is Chanyeol and that makes it even more messy), it is chaos when they run together, not listening to anyone else except Minseok and Kyungsoo.

 

It is surprising that Vivi actually listens to Baekhyun. Sehun watches as Baekhyun has heart to heart, soulful conversations with Vivi and Toben, he is an animal whisperer.

 

Baekhyun is afraid of Kyungsoo, Kyungsoo isn't afraid to hit Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Jongdae when they become too much but that still doesn't stop the trio from trying to get on Kyungsoo's nerves. Minseok is the eldest and they naturally listen to him but not all the time.

 

Sehun is strongly reminded of Junmyeon complaining to Minseok that Baekhyun never respects or listens to him. Baekhyun is just very endearing, it is very hard to hate him. Especially when he sneaks up on people for hugs and kisses and bites.

 

He is always hyper and active and playing and goofing around. Sehun has never seen him sit quietly. Even when he is sitting, he is tapping at something or writing or chatting or explaining things exaggeratedly with lots of hand and foot and face movements. 

 

He emotes a lot. But something tells Sehun that not all of them are what he actually feels. But it is okay, the rest of his mates know all of it quite well. Baekhyun is complex and a part of him is very private despite him looking like the most open and lively person out there. It is like Sehun knows him and doesn't know him at the same time. He is even more puzzling than Yixing. It is like Baekhyun is playing with Sehun, not on purpose, he is just like that with everyone.

 

Despite all of this, Sehun wonders strangely, out of all his mates, it is hard for Sehun to approach Baekhyun. Sehun can't quite put his finger on it.

 

"Sehunnie, it is surprising."

 

Sehun is not even surprised because Baekhyun is like this, all the time, appearing out of thin air. "Hyung?" He absent mindedly scratches Vivi and Toben.

 

"Toben is actually sitting and eating." Not streaking around like a blur of a black ninja ball. Sehun can picture the sound effects and the whooshing noises. He can picture the same when it comes to Chanyeol too. It would probably be concerning or weird, maybe to others but not to Sehun.

 

Sehun wonders if Baekhyun would do that with Sehun, instead of just playing around. He doesn't say it out loud though.

 

"You are better with them than me. Are you better with other animals too?"

 

Toben paws at Sehun and Sehun shakes his head, he has fed them a lot, he doesn't want Toben to get sick. He says softly, "That is enough, Toben ah."

 

Toben whines and gives him a puppy eye but Sehun isn't falling for it.

 

"You don't want to hurt later, do you baby?" He gently rubs Toben's ears and Vivi bops at his thigh from the other side. Sehun apologizes and uses his other hand to pat Vivi's head and slowly moves to pet his stomach.

 

He looks at Baekhyun who is still waiting for an answer. Sehun almost forgot Baekhyun's question and presence. The puppies are very therapeutic, they actually help shut Sehun's mind down. Baekhyun kneels in front of Sehun and Vivi moves towards Baekhyun, like he is a magnet. 

 

"I am not good with any other animal." Sehun remembers trying to feed otters and meerkats and lambs and deer and birds, he was so scared less. The few animals he is good with are puppies, kittens and bunnies. Sehun doesn't know why he is not comfortable around other animals, he is actually frightened of them. He doesn't like going to the zoo either, he hasn't in a long time, not after going for the first time, many years back and realizing his fear.

 

But he wonders, would it be okay now, with one of his soulmates by his side?

 

Baekhyun laughs, "I doubt that, animals seem like they would like you a lot."

 

Sehun nods. "They do. I like them but I can't be near them." It is quite saddening, he wishes he weren't so afraid. He doesn't even know why the hell, he has never had a bad experience. There are few things with no explanation.

 

Sehun wonders, if one of his other mates were to look at Baekhyun and him talking, would they think that he is plotting a prank or a surprise with Baekhyun? Baekhyun manages to pull a prank every day on one or more of them. It is very hard to expect it, for Sehun and even for his mates who have lived with Baekhyun for a long time.

 

Sehun wants to know, what do the others think of Baekhyun? He has an inkling of what the others think of each other but not so much when it comes to Baekhyun or him. 

 

"Do you want to walk them with me?" Baekhyun asks.

 

Sehun nods, sure, why not?

 

"We can also try going to the aquarium or the zoo if you are comfortable? Maybe try adopting another one as a companion? A small one? Maybe from a pet clinic or shelter?"

 

Sehun is surprised. "Vivi and Toben...?" He trails off.

 

Baekhyun nods, he keeps running around Vivi and Toben but he has his attention on Sehun. "Yes, we didn't get them from a pet shop. We got them from a shelter. A lot of shelters have animals who are abandoned. Lot of them are hurt and recovering and need love and care. And if no one is able to adopt them, they are put to rest, it is very sad. Especially old ones, adults and ones that are sick or hurt physically. I volunteer there."

 

Sehun is sure that few of their other mates also probably help from time to time.

 

"Did you study to be a veterinarian by any chance?"

 

Baekhyun nods, "Yes, that was my major. I help out often at shelters when I have time. I hate when animals are sick, I want them to be happy and healthy."

 

Baekhyun does it for free mostly, he gets paid very less at times and he is okay with that. Animals don't have mouths and they can't speak for themselves and he enjoys nursing them back to health, be it with medicines or operations, he is okay to do anything for them. Especially abandoned ones, ones who don't have a family. They are living beings and they deserve the best.

 

Sehun smiles widely and says before he can stop himself, "You are amazing, hyung."

 

He has a lot of curious questions like why did Baekhyun give up on being a veterinarian even though he volunteers and loves animals so much, did he finish his studies, why did he choose stand up as a profession, did something influence him, did he have pets when he was young or was it just a childhood dream? He wants to know a lot but he will ask those later. One baby step at a time.

 

He also feels a bit guilty for having judged Baekhyun quickly. Sehun is a person who hates stereotypes and judgements, he never does that to people because he hates that being done to him. And he is easily judged by people. He doesn't know why but there were some weird vibes with Baekhyun but they are slowly starting to ebb away. He should learn more about Baekhyun before deciding on anything.

 

Baekhyun blushes a little. "This isn't amazing, this is expected, Sehunnie. I am not that much of a great guy. I just do my part, what I can."

 

"I don't think so and I think the others would agree too." Sehun says in defianc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter