Chapter 4

From Zero to Eleven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


"Hyung." Sehun calls softly. Hesitating near Minseok's doorway. Lingering. Shifting his feet.

 

Minseok doesn't look up from what he is doing. His back is facing Sehun. He is aggressively cleaning and dusting his room, muttering to himself. Moving here and there. Arranging and rearranging the trophies, changing orders based on shape, height, year. It is already his fourth time. He can't seem to settle.

 

Sehun tries again, even more gently, he wonders if Minseok can even hear him as he himself can't hear his own voice, he doesn't want to raise his voice though, usually, that doesn't help, he is basing that on his own experiences, "Min hyung."

 

Minseok doesn't stop what he is doing but he acknowledges Sehun this time. "What is it, Sehunnie?"

 

Sehun wonders if Minseok ignored him on purpose the first time. Did he genuinely not hear Sehun? Is that sign, for Sehun to leave, a polite sign, subtle? Does he want to be alone? Sehun shakes his head. He can't just leave. He probably should but he doesn't want Minseok to be alone at this time.

 

Sehun asks, "Can you help me?"

 

"With what?"

 

"I am trying Ggultteok but they aren't coming out right."

 

"That is pretty advanced. Isn't Kyungsoo there? Desserts are his specialty."

 

"Kyungsoo-hyung, Junmyeon-hyung have gone for grocery shopping. Luhan-gege isn't back from his work. I... I want to do this because Chanyeol-hyung requested me. I want everyone to eat this at dinner tonight, please, hyung? Sorry to bother you."

 

Minseok finishes his fourth time of arrangement. He is about to start for a fifth time when Sehun realizes that being indirect about it isn't going to help with Minseok's stress. He walks forward and gently takes the duster from Minseok's hands. He doesn't know where the strength came from. He tells himself that he won't regret it later. He hopes to God that Minseok won't react badly.

 

"Hyung, what is wrong? This isn't going to help in the long run." Sehun doesn't have major OCD like Minseok but he does have minor OCD and he has read about a lot of mental health issues and things like these for his own works and editing. And... for personal reasons. He is no expert in the field, he isn't a professional, he just wants to help however he can. He never had anyone like that growing up, to help him.

 

He has been to online therapy sessions for a little bit and he stopped, it didn't help him. He wants to try. He doesn't want to make it worse for Minseok though.

 

Minseok's face turns angry for a second and Sehun steps back, startled, stumbling backwards, almost falling down, reminded of unwanted vague buried memories, wondering if he crossed a line or something, wondering if one of the others could have helped better than Sehun even though his intentions are in the right place. 

 

He drops the duster in his haste and takes a deep breath, trying to calm himself down, trying to not let it show (Minseok isn't an idiot though) and think of something to say at the same time, to calm Minseok and Minseok's face morphs into something Sehun can't describe.

 

Both say at the same time, "I am sorry." Sehun curses himself as his voice sounds a bit strained and shaky, Minseok notices but doesn't comment, he looks guilty and Sehun just opens and closes his mouth, not sure of what else to say or do.

 

Minseok starts. "That was rude of me. I shouldn't be taking it out on you, you are just trying to help me out. I don't do this all the time, I set limits properly but there was a bad accident to one of the kids today. He can't play football anymore and his scholarship is on line. I tried to help but he refused and I am not able to comfort him."

 

Sehun states the obvious, almost blurting it out without thinking (for someone who has been through things, he at helping himself or others with words), "It is not your fault, hyung." He is glad that Minseok doesn't ask about Sehun's reactions.

 

Of course, the mind knows but the heart finds it difficult to accept.

 

Minseok doesn't say anything, Sehun sits next to him on the couch and says. "Don't fight the thoughts, that will only make things worse. Distractions don't help in the long run."

 

Sehun knows, he is quite experienced.

 

Sehun hesitates, he gently hugs Minseok and cards his hand through Minseok's hair and Minseok leans against him, sighs and closes his eyes.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Ge, it is okay, use this instead." Sehun smiles and hands Luhan his phone. It is not the latest model or anything like that, Sehun doesn't even care about that, he doesn't use his phone a lot, doesn't - didn't - have a reason to, but the camera is good. Sehun doesn't take selfies but he does like taking pictures of beautiful things. He hates taking pictures of himself, alone or with others though, never liked the way he looks in photos, physically and for other emotional reasons as well, it is hard to accept himself as he is.

 

Luhan looks at his outstretched hand and hesitates a bit, afraid of getting across the correct words. Luhan looks like he wants to cuddle and reprimand Sehun at the same time. It is a war, indeed. 

 

He pouts, "Sehun ah, I have a phone, a better model than yours, why do you think I am not using it?"

 

Sehun chuckles, "Because you hate fake cameras?" Luhan doesn't consider anything other than actual cameras as cameras.

 

"Then why are you doing this to me? Are you teasing me? Did Tao put you to this? I really should have brought the camera-"

 

Kris shakes his head fondly, "There he goes, one of his famous rants."

 

Luhan continues on and on about how he shouldn't have worried about weight and discomfort and should have just hauled his amazing camera and explains some technical details about it which just fly over Kris and Sehun's head as they stand and stare blankly at Luhan. Sehun concentrates more on the noise of the waterfall behind him and concentrates on the beauty of the scenery instead, trying to find a way to help Luhan out. He is not ignoring Luhan on purpose, he just wants to help.

 

Luhan continues, lamenting about how the rolls - a lot - he brought for the small, not so professional camera are still not enough. Luhan used up a lot of them because a lot captured his attention and he retook a lot because the weather conditions were not so good. It is quite cold and foggy, despite the layers of clothing they are wearing.

 

Sehun asks stupidly, "Are you worried about the space on your phone, ge? Do you not like your phone?" Sometimes, Sehun's brain to mouth filter malfunctions. He has never been around people and he has a habit of talking to himself, randomly. Basically, it is just Sehun thinking out loud.

 

Both Luhan and Kris look at Sehun like he has sprouted another head or something.

 

Obviously not. Sehun knows it too, why did he have blurt it out? He tries again, "Ge, it is okay, I have an idea. Use your phone or mine or Kris-ge's to capture the moment."

 

Before Luhan can say something, Sehun says softly, "It is better to have something than nothing."

 

Luhan sighs, "Sehunnie, I do not want to compromise-"

 

"Ge, listen to me, please?"

 

Kris coughs and Luhan shuts up with great difficulty. Both of them have a soft spot for Sehun.

 

Sehun smiles, "Memories fade, they are fickle, not always perfect but you can take a photo and ask Kris ge to draw the same later, you can recreate it later because

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter