Good Girl

Toy

It was 12 am right now. 12 am. Kai was sitting awkwardly on the couch and observing his wife. They just had their breakfast. Pancakes. It was something they have always had each Saturday. Some pancakes with honey syrup. And a cup of cappuccino for Kai. And another cup of fruit tea for Yongsun. Kai dislikes tea. Yongsun dislikes coffee. 
 

Right now, his wife has just finished putting some make-up on her beautiful round face. His wife is beautiful. Kai only yesterday realised it. She wore a very beautiful yellow dress that Kai didn’t even know she has had. He never really paid any attention to his wife’s clothes. Until today. He felt like he was blinded by an invisible cloth and only yesterday he managed to tear it from his eyes. Was that toyshop that he visited a magical one? Does magic exist? He shook his head slightly. Those thoughts about magic were ridiculous.

Yongsun was preparing herself to meet her friend. She looked happy and excited. With a real smile on her face. Not fake one. Kai was so used to grow up in the family that was fake that he also put that label on his wife. A label of being fake. Probably because he was the fake one and marrying him automatically made Yongsun fake too. But this wasn't a case. It was just his way of thinking. Wrong way.

“Are you sure that you’ll be alright?” Yongsun took her little handbag and approached her husband on the coach. She sat near him putting a hand on his knee. “I feel a little bit guilty leaving you all alone here.”

“I’ll be fine.” Kai tried to give her a genuine smile. He felt warmth. He wondered if that because of Yongsun’s yellow dress, her bright smile and genuinely worried eyes. Yellow is a warm color. A color of sun, happiness. But also a color of fear and frustration. Kai was a good boy, but he also was yellow. He was a coward. But he wishes to change. He is getting tired of being fake. Of not being himself. Maybe Yongsun could help him. Yellow is also a color of hope. 

“I mean it.” Kai continued and put his hand above his wife’s. Her hand was warm. His was cold. “I thought about going to the cinema and watch a movie.” He has never been to the cinema on his own. First time he has visited one was after he marrying Yongsun. She took him to the cinema. It was his first time tasting popcorn. It was also his first time trying a coke. He felt in love with this drink. But not with popcorn. Right now, he realised that his wife made him discover many new things. He never appreciated them. But now he will. So he truly wanted Yongsun to spent good time with her friend. 

Yongsun still with a little worry in her eyes observed her husband. Then she smiled softly and moved closer. A kiss. She gave him a little kiss on his cheek. Not lips. They only kissed each other on the lips in front of their parents. Or in front of Kai’s colleagues. But otherwise it was always a kiss on the cheek and very rarely on the forehead. They were not intimate with each other. But at the same time they felt comfortable around each other. Yongsun does. And she’d like to think that Kai is also comfortable around her. 

After a kiss she stood up. “I’ll be going then, I also will be taking a car.” Kai nodded. He couldn’t drive. Yongsun could. He bought a car for her. His father still makes fun of him for the fact that Yongsun is the one who drives them to the family gatherings. Driving a car is a man’s job told he his son.

“Have fun!” He also stood up in order to walk his wife to the door. He saw her putting her heals on. She gave him another smile. “Bye. See you later.” Another kiss on the cheek. Closed door. Now Kai was all alone. 

 

***

Yongsun just arrived with her car to the destination where she was about to meet her friend. Her friend. Her first love. Her love. She came earlier because she needed some time for herself. To be honest Yongsun was excited but also she feared. Right now she was overthinking in her head if this was a right decision. Her parents wouldn’t be pleased. As a good girl she should have stayed with her husband. And Yongsun was a good girl. She always listened to her parents, she never caused trouble in school and had a good reputation at university. After graduating one of the best universities in Seoul, her parents asked her to marry a man. She decided that Kai was the best choice, in some ways he reminded her of herself. She thought after marrying him she'll forget her first love. She didn't. To be honest, she was tired of being a good girl. 


In her yellow dress she entered the cafe where she and her friend used to spent many times together. They shared secrets with each other here. They shared meals. They shared drinks. They shared kisses. This cafe was their little hideout from their parents, society, responsibilities. Yongsun smiled remembering all the precious moments she spent here. After she married Kai she has never stepped in this cafe again. Until today. She likes Kai. But she doesn’t love him. He like this cafe also became her hideout. She thinks that for him she has became his hideout too. Yongsun chose to marry him because she thought they were similar to each other. They both were perfect children for their parents. Not perfect, but good. A good boy and a good girl. They won't be able to became perfect. Perfect doesn't exist. But their parents are delusional. They aren't perfect themselves. They fake their perfection. Apparently only fake perfect exist. 
 

She felt like Kai had it harder. While she still had some experiences like going to cinemas, drinking cola while eating pizza. Being loud in the library with her friends. Fighting with her sister. Falling in love. Kai did not experience those kind of things. Her husband is very reserved. Has trouble communicating and being sociable. But nevertheless she felt safe with him. He never forced her to do anything that she didn’t want. He always was considerate of her. It wasn’t love. It was a hideout. A safe one. She didn’t regret marrying Kai. But she wished she was brave to live the way she wanted. Not how her parents told her to.

Yongsun took a seat. This cafe didn’t change much. Just became older. She also isn't a teenager anymore. A married young woman. This is the description of Yongsun. She is simply just a married young woman. Nothing more. She felt her hands started to sweat. Anxious. She was feeling anxious. It felt wrong but at the same time right. Yongsun has missed her friend. She couldn’t forget her at all. Her smile. Her kisses. Her touches.

Yongsun was her sun.

She hears a sound. A door has opened. Then she hears her voice. “Yong!”

It was really her. Standing there in a white simple shirt and black jeans. She changed a lot, becoming more slim, looking matured. She didn't wear any glasses how she used to. Her hair weren’t black anymore. Silver. Silver suits her so well. Now she is really an embodiment of her last name.

“Byulie.” Yongsun felt her eyes getting teary. It was her. Her first and only love. 

And Byulie was her moon.