Perfect Married Couple

Toy

Kai came home from the toyshop and was met by his wife, who was cooking a perfect dinner in their perfect kitchen, which is inside of their perfect house, which he bought with his perfect money, which he got by being a perfect doctor. Perfect, perfect, perfect is so annoying because “perfect” doesn’t exist. It is just another myth. We want to be perfect and we do everything, with our every bone, dropping the tears and the drops of our blood to achieve “perfect”. But what for a funny irony and hurtful truth – perfect doesn’t exist.

 

Yongsun, the Kai’s wife said her little “hi” with her fake smile. And suddenly Oliver wanted to slap her in her face. This smile annoys him and he wasn’t a violent man. He was just tired of fakeness. He wanted to slap her so hard in hopes that maybe she’ll wake up and see. Oliver wanted her to see the real world; he wanted her to see things, which he saw, while he was wandering in the toyshop. To see that everything they do is being fake, that they don’t live. They are the prisoners. But maybe his wife enjoyed it; he has never had a real conversation with her. They only talk about his job, about their parents and gossiping about their  neighbors. Mostly his wife does the talk, he just nods with his head and gives her a fake smile. Does she love him? He didn’t know the answer to this question. Does he love her? He didn’t know the answer to this question too. What is love? Suddenly his head started to ache. “Too many questions” – thought Oliver. Too many unanswered questions.

His wife put the dinner on the table. Today they are having a Greek salad and some pasta. Was it pasta a la carbonara, or a la bolonese? Kai doesn’t really differ types of pastas. For him it is just some pasta with some sauce, nothing more. But he recognized this taste; they ate this pasta during their vacation in Greece. Kai and Yongsun went to Greece for two weeks to spend their honeymoon there. It was nice to have a good refreshing swim in the morning and it was nice to lay on the beach at night and have a look at the dark sky, counting stars. In Greece he felt a little bit free, but Yongsun was his reminder of home and Kai associates home with his parents. He doesn’t like his parents.

 

So today his wife cooked some Mediterranean meal, maybe she is trying to say something to him. Does it have to do with a baby? He hopes it doesn’t because he wasn’t ready to have a baby. How can he give a life to a baby, when he doesn’t know anything about life? If he is going to have a baby, he has to discover what does love mean, what does life mean. His wife asked him a question, he didn’t quite hear it, but he guesses it is about his job. But he still simply looked at her as waiting for her to repeat the question.

“How was your day in the hospital?” – Asked Yongsun. She took a bite of the cut tomato from the salad and gave him another fake smile. Kai’s guess was right, the question was about his work.

“It was quiet today, not a lot of patients.” – He answered and put some pasta in his mouth. Yongsun was a good cook, but he wasn’t a great eater. The meal for him meant only the nutrition, which gave him energy. His day at hospital was quiet. He thinks it is because in the summertime everyone is away, having a nice vacation. But he didn’t want to talk about his job. Right now he didn’t want to talk at all. Kai wasn’t sure if his wife would understand his feelings and his thoughts.

“I have to talk with you about something.” – Yongsun took another bite of a cut tomato, leaving other vegetables in the bowl. She likes tomato and Kai wasn’t a great eater, he didn’t care about the taste. He doesn’t hate any vegetables but he doesn’t like them either. Yongsun has to talk about something with him; he hopes it isn’t about a baby thing. “Please, don’t.” – Kai begged inside of his brain and he was relieved to hear that it wasn’t actually about a baby thing. Does Kai now consider baby as a thing?

“I know that tomorrow is Saturday, and this is the day when we spent our time together…” - Yongsun started to ramble, she was nervous. Was she afraid of him? …”But my old friend from the high school is coming to the town and I would like to spend some time with her. I haven’t seen her in ages…” Kai has never seen his wife like this. He was surprised but he didn’t show it. He just simply nodded, chewing the pasta in his mouth.

“Is this okay with you? I am sorry that I have to leave you all alone and if…if…you don’t want me to go, I won’t but I just wanted to ask for your permission.” – Yongsun finished her talk and now was looking down at her plate. Why was she so nervous? Kai saw her in the whole new light. He didn’t know this side of her. Maybe he wasn’t noticing it. He suddenly felt the warmth inside his body. Was he so busy being a good boy, that he has never noticed a human in his wife? He blamed her for being so fake, but it looks like he is the one who is fake.

“You can go and you don’t have to ask for my permission. Go and have some fun with your friend. I’ll be okay on my own.” – Kai tried to smile, but he wasn’t used to it, so he probably looked weird right now. At some point he wanted to get to know the friend of his wife, because they have never talked about friends. He himself doesn’t have them, but he has never asked Yongsun if she does.

“Thank you!” – His wife smiled and this time it wasn’t a fake smile. This time it was a real smile and Kai felt the warmth inside his body again. Being married for 2 years to this woman he suddenly saw how beautiful she was. Her brown eyes have little lively sparkles. Her hair was long and brown like the mane of the lion. Yongsun has a little mole above her right eye and whenever she smiles there are little mouth corner dimples. She is beautiful. Why Kai has never seen this beauty. And the warmth inside his body…was it something like love? Did he just start discovering what love is? Or is it just another myth or a simple illusion? He hopes that his wife cooked him fresh meal, without any poison.