-2-

She Calls Me Darling

"Is something the matter?" Irene asked whne Wendy failed to respond.

"U...uh...no! I'm fine!" Wendy replied quickly and plasteres a smile over her face. 

"You sure? We can cancel tonight," Irene studied her carefully. She took Wendy's hand in hers and rubbed her knuckles with her thumb gently. "Shall I take you home?"

"Y-yes please." Wendy didn't know why being around Irene made her act unlike herself, but she wasn't going to turn down the option to have some alone time away from the woman who aws constantly appearing in her daily life.

But then she also realized her mistake because the offer home meant IRene would know where she lived. 

That also meant, Irene could appear in front of her home by surprise, thus leading to losing the safety of her home from Irene's beautiful presence.

Bruh, what? She's lowkey asking you out!

Wendy wanted to beleive that because Irene was treating her so tenderly. But the woman also never asked her out or made any indications to make clear of her interest in Wendy. 

Who knows if Irene was married or engaged? Maybe I'm her last fling before she ties the knot?

Her mind was going wild with ideas that Joy would for sure scold her for.

Once Irene had an idea of hwo to get to Wendy's house, they pulled out of the parking lot in Irene's fancy shiny car. The windows were just slightly tinted, which made Wendy feel a little more secure. Imagine if someone recognized Irene, the great business tycoon-ess, with a normal person like herself. Irene appeared in the industry news quite a bit so Wendy wasn't going to find it hard to believe if a scandal came out because someone spotted them in the car together. 

"Irene?"

"Yes?"

Wendy watned to ask Irene what the big idea was behind all these kisses and intimacy when they weren't even dating, but she coudn't bring herself to say it in the end.

COWARD! she could imagine Joy pointing an accusing chicken leg hand at her.

"Er...how was your day?"

Irene glanced at her briefly before turning her attention back to the road. "Productive. Even more because I got to see you."

Wendy felt heat rising to her cheeks. No matter how much she willed it to stop, the heat already blossomed and she knew that Irene looked at her at some point, the woman would see how red her face was.

"And yours?" Irene continued.

"S-same."

They finally arrived at Wendy's apartment complex, and Irene insisted to walk her in. Wendy felt like Irene was going way too out of her way, acting like some kind of gentlewoman, when she was perfectly capable of walking herself in. 

Could this be a signal? one of Joy's supposed signals that Irene is interested in her romantically?

"Thanks," Wendy told her. "I'll be ok from here."

"I want to make sure you're safe." 

What have I done to earn her attnetion like this? Wendy wondered as she unlocked the door. She turned to Irene to thank her again fro the ride, but Irene just had to pull such an Irene Bae on her.

The older woman pulled her into an embrace and gave her a quick peck to the lips in movements so smooth Wendy hardly even knew what happened. 

Her lips tingled when Irene pulled away. "Good night," Irene murmured and walked away leaving Wendy completely at a loss and staring at her retreating back.

---

Wendy arrived early at work the next morning, greeted by a buut load of emails and new mail waiting in her personal box. She heaved a sigh as she plopped herself into her seat, and sifted through the mail. The last one nearly mde her eyes pop open.

She was even more awake now that she was seeing that Irene Bae had graduated to mailing her something.

I was an invitation to a dinner for somethign important in the weekend. 

Dinner? was the only thing Irene wrote.

That made Wendy laugh. The woman seriously had the audacity to mail her an invite and not even write a proper note.

But then her boss appeared, and she quickly stowed the contents in her bag. "good morning, sir," she said.

"Mornin'!" he looked bright today. "I will be meeting with Irene and some of the higher ups for lunch. I need you to accompany me."

"But your other meetings for this morning - " she started.

Sehun went to his reflection in the tinted window to the side and tightened his tie, smoothed down his coat lapels. "I have canceled those. This is an important meeting. I must make the right impression, and there's no one better who can help me with that than you."

Wendy knew better than to argue, so she agreed and made sure to clear his schedule for the day. She had no idea that she woudl be seeing Irene again this early in the day.

however, she was sure that Irene would have found a way to come see her again, sweep her off her feet into sweet kisses ....

 

"A pleasure to see you again, Ms. Bae," Sehun greeted Irene before the others.

Wendy simply gave greetings to them and took her seat until Irene beckoned her to take the seat between her and Sehun. She tried to act normal, not like Irene might be up to some ideas for after the get together.

"A pleasure to sit with Mr. Sehun's personal assistant," Irene said with light humor in her voice. "Can I get you a drink?"

"Just a water." 

Irene gracefully stopped a waiter in their tracks and asked for a glass of water, which arrived quickly. Everyone seemed to be very aware of Irene adn were makin sure to be extra courteous and hospitable to her.

Wendy lisened to the idle chat and small talk around her. Her job was to assist Sehun so she wasn't going to be talking much. While she was spacing out, she felt a gentle touch against her free hand resting on her lap. She quickly glanced down to find IRene's hand closing over hers.

Da ?

Irene seriously had no shame.

What would these peopel think?

Wendy tried to pull her hand away, but Irene kept a tight iron grip. For a beautiful and seemingly elegant not musuclar woman, Irene had quite strength. She tried to warn Irene by squeezing the woman's hand, but Irene only squeezed tighter. Wendy cast sa quick sidelong glance at Irene, who only smiled while being addressed by another party.

Luckily, the table cloth was lengthy so no one could really tell they were holding hands.

Irene finally let go when it was time to eat, but Wendy's fingers felt so tingly after.

She kept thinking about it the hwole time so she had a hard time focusing on the meeting.

 

Wendy managed to make it through the rest of the day without Irene's actions breaking into her conscious mind while listening to the secretary, Jennie, talk about something.

"I want it tomorrow," Jennie said.

"W-w-tomoroow?" Wendy spluttered.

"Yeah. Were you listening to anything I said?" Jennie demanded. 

"yes. Yes. I am," Wendy replied quickly. "The r-reports for..."

Jennie rolled her eyes and pointed to the file folder sitting in front of Wendy. "Our sales." 

"Right. right. Just testing you hahaha!" Wendy quickly swiped the file folder and opened it immediately. "I'll start on it asap."

"Good." Jennie walked away and uttered a weak gasp when she opened the door.

It was IRENE BAE in all her glory. Again.

"I-i-i-ire-rre--irene!" Jennie became a mess and bowed a million times at teh speed of light to the entire business's superior that didn't even work here. "I apologize if you were waiting. I was just talking to Wendy about important matters."

"..."

Jennie chuckled nervously and stepepd to teh side. "Please. Come in."

"Thank you." Irene remained cold and collected. "Leave us be. I have important mattesr to discuss with Mr. Sehun's personal assistant."

"Yes, of cousre!" Jennie bowed out of there and shut the door loudly, knocking the clock off teh wall.

The face shattered and Irene didn't even flinch. "I'll get you a new one," she said like some cool person.

"W-waht brings you here?" Wendy asked, the report completley forgotten at this surprise appearance. "I thought you were busy after the meeting?"

"Oh, that's just something I always say to everyone," Irene waved it off and wandered over to teh window to gaze over teh traffic below. "I came here for important business."

Wendy waited for Irene to continue. She wanted to make sure she was paying attention if this had something to do with her job becaue Sehun was always depending on her to get his done.

Irene glanced at her and turned away, appearing to be studying the various things in Wendy's office. She took in a deep breath but no words came out. After a few minutes, it was apparent that Irene was pacing and having some trouble articulating her thoughts, whatever they may be.

"Um...does this have something to do with Sehun?" Wendy asked.

"No!" Irene whirled on her as if she said something bad. "I, I mean.... no." 

Now Irene looked really troubled and she slammed her hands on the desk, leaning over it across from Wendy. "Did you get my note?"

"Nnote?"

"Yeah, I sent it in the mail. Didn't you read it?"

THE LETTER! Wendy didn't even ahve a chance because Sehun swept her off to the lunch thingy and then other things happened at work. 

Literally all it said was "dinner?". Like waht was she supposed to say?

"Yes or no?" Irene prompted.

"What?"

"Wendy Son, come to dinner with me. Please." She added the last one a little awkwardly. "Um...please?" the woman said a little more gently and appropriately.

"O-ok." Wendy didn't know why she always said yes, but a little part of her was curious about Irene's intentions. So she could keep following along to figure out what the hell Irene was thinking pursuing her so strangely.

"Great! I'll see you tonight!" Irene said cheerfully.

 

Wendy stared at the door Irene just exited from and she leaned back in her chair, wondering why she was letting Irene string her along like this.

Irene hadn't even properly asked her out!

--