~FINAL~

Strangers

 

We met by accident...


 

It was midday on a weekday on the busy streets of Seoul. Being familiar with it, I was busy looking at my phone as I was rushing to meet my client. As I was rounding the corner, I collided with a person so hard that we both fell to the ground. I heard a rustling noise as the person hurriedly knelt down and dusted himself.

 

Mianhaeyo Agassi. Gwenchanayo?”

 

Looking up, I saw this man covered with black clothings partnered with black mask and eyeglasses who bumped into me. Feeling guilty, he offers his right hand to help me up and pick my abandoned phone with the other hand. Dusting off my arms and clothes, “I am okay. No worries. I apologize, I was busy looking on my phone that I didn’t notice you. Are you okay?

 

“I am fine. But I think we might need to go to the nearest store to buy you some bandages. You have some scratches.” he said while looking so lost and worried.

“It’s okay, Mister. It’s only scratches,” I said while scanning my arm.

Not content with what I said, he insisted that he must still do something about it or it might eat him up. Giving in, I nodded my head and thanked him.

He asked me if what shoulder is more comfortable, and I said I want to be on his left side since I would be more comfortable on the outside lane since he looks younger. But he urged that he should be on the outside lane since I would be safe that way. Then I just went with his decision. He offered his right arm and I declined. He nudged me and offered his arm again, hesitantly, I hooked mine and said thank you. Further, he poked my arm and raised his arm for my head to lean on. And I just laughed. We entered a store and he paid for the bandage and wipes. After some fixings, we headed out.

As we were walking down the familiar street and seeing korean characters, I asked if he was okay and if everything was alright. He smiled but I can see through his eyes that I hit home on my questions.

Then I continued, “you don't have to answer but let me tell you that everything will be alright. You are a blessing to many and people are just there waiting for you to fall from the pedestal.”

He stopped and I saw him biting his inner cheek. I unhooked my arm, stood in front of him and nudged him. Upon raising his head, I opened my arms and joked "It won't be the most comfortable since I am smaller than you." He laughed and closed the space in between us. I stood on my toes trying to accommodate the height difference and damn he laughed harder. His laugh made me laugh also. But I was content that I was able to ease his pain.

 

I heard him mumble "angwenchana". And I tapped his back thru our embrace and listened to him. "I feel like I am not doing enough. I am quite disappointed with my performance".

And I told him that, "You always excel on the things you love the most. Don't get burdened by expectations." We stopped talking and he hugged me tighter. A little while, I felt him loosen his arms. "Thank you for this little chat. Let's eat first though."

I declined since I was on my way to work. He was not hearing it so I had to call my colleague to take charge of my client. Throughout my call he was playing with my palms and seeing how small it is compared to his. He was laughing when he saw the difference in our hands. Upon ending my call, I smiled and asked him what he finds funny. He said that for a small person, I have a big and calloused hands. I just said that life is not always rainbows and sunshines. So I have to work my off for a laborious job. He seemed to understand and he interlocked our hands. It shocked me and told him. "Yah, aren't you too comfortable? How old are you again? You seem younger than me"

He said, "Here? I am 25, a 97-liner. How about you?"

Finding it funny, "yah, that is not the way to talk to your noona~ tsk3 I am 3 years older than you."

He stopped once again and looked at me. As if scanning me from head to toe. Feeling his gaze, I hit his arm, and asked him why? Trying to intimidate him. "You're too cute to be my noona,” while trying to compare my height with his height. Glaring at him, I signaled him to come closer. When he lowered himself, I flicked his forehead and said "I am still your noona, I am just born to be cute-sized."

 

We continued walking, talking about our work and just getting to know each other.

We were near the restaurant when his phone rang to a familiar song, I signaled him to answer as it might be about his work. He answered and said

"Neh, Hyung..."

Just looking at him, and trying to withdraw my hand from his hold, when it suddenly occurred to me the man's identity. Oh he was a celebrity, an idol to be precise. Damn, I was stupid not to realize his identity, and I hit him like we're close friends.

As he was looking at me, he seemed to know that I already knew his identity. He tightened his hold and he was trying to end his conversation with the caller. There was a deafening silence between us. So I tried to break the ice, "Oh I didn't know until now who you are. I am sorry. I might have overstepped boundaries."

He assured me that it was okay. And find it refreshing that I didn't know him at first glance and upon hearing his voice.

I rebutted that I was not expecting to ever bump into an idol or celebrity no less than a known idol in his prime.

We were bickering while we ate. Upon finishing our meal, we went out for a walk again and sat on a bench. We were looking at the scenery and taking up courage. I asked him if he's okay and he could tell me anything.

Once again he just said that maybe he didn't do good or his effort was not enough. I let him vent out his concerns and actively listened to everything he was saying.

For the second time around I just offered him a hug since he needed one. We were engulfed by a comfortable silence, broke the hug and smiled at each other.

 

Minutes later, we needed to part ways and I told him, “It was a pleasant day having to encounter you. I am honored that I have seen you during the times you needed your space and peace. I hope I was able to give comfort.

 

He smiled and gave pleasantries, "Thank you for just being there, for the sweet and encouraging words. I was happy that you didn't know me at first, it gave me assurance that I can be who I am when on the outside. Thank you for consoling a stranger. And I would not forget meeting you. Before we part ways, may I know your name noona?"

 

I answered him, "Would it not be better if you would not know my name? You'll be able to forget me faster by that."

He shook his head, "No, I'd rather know. It will serve as an inspiration to keep moving forward."

 

Finally giving in, and offering a handshake "If you say so... Hi! I am Jean from the Philippines and it's a pleasure to meet you."

He smiled gratefully, Hi Ms. Jean pleased to meet your acquaintance and shook my hand.

And I took a few steps backward and bowed. Thank you for today, Mister. I had a good time away from work. I hope you did too.

Waving my hand goodbye. He returned my gesture. And proceeded to turn my back and walked a few more steps and paused. Garnering the courage, I faced him and shouted my last greetings,

 

Goodbye! And always look ahead and move forward!

.

.

.

.

.

.

Lee Seokmin

 
----------------------------------------END-----------------------------------------