chain of love V

9.0 thecupidreaper
Please log in to read the full chapter

december 2, 2019.  

Serena noticed Nerok flying frantically around the apartment at two in the morning when she awoke to get some water. She expected Maofah to be chasing him or at least teasing the black feline, but the white feline was no where in sight.

"Nerok."

She called his name sleepily.

"Hmm?"

The black feline paused in mid-air to glanced at Serena.

"Is Maofah here?"

"No. He's scheming with Hedy on what pranks to pull before the new year sets in."

"That angel cat. Anyways, then what are you doing?"

"I'm trying to find all the money you gave me over the years."

"What for?"

"To do something nice."

"Oh, okay. But why was the money hidden?"

"Maofah and I would play hide and seek with them."

"How much did you play for?"

"This many."

Nerok held up his paw and Serena just had to assume what he meant although she figured that Maofah may have tricked Nerok over the years.

"I see. Is it enough?"

"Yeah. There's a lot."

Magically the money appeared out of thin air, but scattered across the floor.

"Oh, no. Sorry, NaNa."

"It's fine. Why not go look for more and I'll count this for you to make it easier."

"Otay."

Serena counted the money that was present while the feline darted back and forth before hovering over her a second later.

"Otay, I'm done."

More money magically appeared and clattered to the floor. Serena sighed at the mess, but counted the money for Nerok to make it easier  for him. Once she was done she informed him of the amount.

"You have about twelve dollars."

"Is that a lot?"

Serena didn't want to lie, but she also didn't want to tell him the truth either. She knew that he should have more, but will deal with Maofah later about it. Serena just realized that these supernatural beings shouldn't even be worrying about money in the first place.  She changed the topic instead.

"What's this 'something nice' that you're trying to do?"

"Oh, for the lady that needed money to start afresh."

"I see. Okay, hold on."

Serena gathered up the money and went up the stairs exchange the coins, but to also add more on top of it. She returned shortly with the bills in an envelope for the cat.

"There you go, Nerok."

"Ooh, thank you, NaNa."

"You're welcome."

"Do you need any help?"

"Uh, could you write 'good luck' on this piece of paper for me, too?"

A small blank sheet of paper appeared in front of Serena and she took it to write the message that Nerok wanted on it.

"Sure. How should I sign it?"

Nerok asked a second later.

"Um," Serena looked about her and spotted a green expo marker.

"Hold up a paw."

Nerok did so as Serena colored it with the expo marker. Nerok couldn't stop giggling until Serena glared at him did he stop and held still

"Okay. Now press it to the paper."

"Wow, that's cool."

Nerok admired his little artwork before pressing his paws a few more times until Serena had to pull the paper away.

"Nerok. The person won't be able to read your message to them."

"Oh, right. Sorry."

The feline giggle as Serena smile while folding the paper and handed it to him to put it in the white envelope.

"There you go. Ready to be delivered."

"Thanks, NaNa."

"You're welcome, Nerok. Hope the person appreciates your effort."

"Hehe, me, too."

The black cat poofed away in black smoke leaving Serena a bit curious, but dismissing the whole thing and returning to bed. Later that night she entered a dream that was not of her own.

Serena found herself in a greenery sort of world although she wore a gray tabby cat onesie. She peered down and although it was cute she wasn't feeling it. She thought of a different animal and soon enough her previous cat onesie turned into a red panda one. Serena smiled while observing her woodsy and refreshing surrounding. The grass beneath her feet felt soft to the touch and not at all spike-like or itchy in real life. The air was clear and cool against her face while the area was mainly surrounded by trees as high as the sky.  She wondered if this was like last time, but no music played overhead.

She quickly thought of a song and a mellow beat flowed around from somewhere. Serena casually began walking wondering what this place had to offer. The music she had chosen changed and it played another one instead. She frown, but let it be. There was no real reason to go back and forth like last time. She breathed in the crisp fresh air and relished in the solace the outside scenery gave her. A few seconds later Serena thought of having a roaming buddy and shortly afterward a real life panda poofed alongside her. Serena gushed at the adorable critter while petting its head.

The animal instantly warmed up to her and demanded more pets. Serena conjured some food for the red panda and fed the items to it. The pair played with one another a little bit longer although Serena wondered about this dream world. She knew it wasn't hers as hers usually consisted of the other realms of her life or of an unknown man that kept reminding her to not forget something. She still had no idea what she was supposed to remember, but as of right she was just vibing with life without a worry except for Melanie.

Too busy with the furry friend of hers, Serena wasn't aware that another figure appeared in their own onesie just some distance away. Said person was also unaware that Serena was in his dream world again. Hyungwon assumed her to be a non-playing character like all his dreams before. When he neared he watched the interaction of the two while wearing his turtle onesie. It wasn't something he had wanted to dream about, but he recalled that his other friends wanted to hold a pajama party and was forced into the outfit in person.

"Oh, hello."

Serena greeted Hyungwon once she was aware of his presence. She had no recollection of who he was and that they've met before.

"Is this your dream?"

"Oh, you're real."

Hyungwon's comment made Serena smile.

"I guess so."

"How did you get here?"

Hyungwon asked a second later once he got over his inital shock.

"Um, dunno, but nice dream. This cutie is adorable."

Serena held the red panda for Hyungwon to view. He eyed the critter cautiously.

"Is it safe?"

"First of all, 'It', is a girl and her name is Chris-Anne. Second, what do you mean by if she's safe?"

Hyungwon didn't mean to offend the woman.

"I'm sorry and what I meant is if she's safe to be around. Y'know, like they are pretty grabby."

"Well, she shoul-"

Chris-Anne spotted the snacks that Hyungwon held to which the other two hadn't noticed and began charging towards Hyungwon in wanting the treats. Hyungwon freaked out as he turned away and began running away from the red panda. Serena gave chase wondering how this could occur. In the process Hyungwon tripped over his own feet causing Chris-Anne to jump on top of him to reach the snacks. This made Serena laugh at the sight which resulted in the female to stumble over her own feet. Believing that she was about to fall on Hyungwon and Chris-Anne, she tried to soften the encounter. It didn't come.

Serena fell out of bed and awoke wondering what had just happened. She shook her head to clear up things, but just as she tried to recall the dream it evaded her mind and she didn't bother chasing it. Whereas Hyungwon awoke to something landing on top of him. He groaned as he searched for whatever it was that woke him. It turned out to be his friend's two gray tabby cats, Yoshi and Gucci. Hyungwon sighed thinking it was something else while trying to remember what he had just dreamt of. The dream faded just as he woke. He sighed again while makig a mental note to never sleep at a friend's place with pets before returning to sleep. This time around neither of them dreamt again.

december 3, 2019. 

Serena jerked awake by the ringing of her mobile phone. Out of habit she sleepily tried to locate it by reaching above her head and towards the sides of the bed, but felt nothing. Serena paused long enough to hear it out and heard it by her feet. She decided to go back to sleep instead. A moment later her hand phone rang again and she reluctant groaned while waking herself to fetch the device. Serena languidly glanced at the caller ID once she picked up the mobile device and saw that it was Praya calling.

"Hello?"

"Good morning!"

Came Praya's cheery tone which was a bit too loud for Serena's liking.

"Good morning."

She responded in a flat tone which her friend caught.

"Yes, I know it's a little too early for you or you probably slept just a few hours ago or something like that."

"Yeah, something like. What's up?"

Serena didn't feel like elaborating.

"I got some good news for you."

This piqued Serena's interest.

"Okay, what is it?"

"Well, today's shoot was cancelled."

"Oh? The Erena woman, yes? Why?"

"Well, the youngest sister, Karina, called me a while ago to reschedule the date and time."

Praya explained as Serena let out a quiet yawn.

"The new venue will be at the Nizho University Hospital and as for the date, it's still in the talks."

"I see. Did something come up?"

"Yeah. Erena's not feeling well and she may be in the hospital more often than she had hoped for. So the eldest sister, Anna, does wan't her sister to go back and forth in her weakening state."

"I see. That makes sense."

"Anyways, so yeah, you're schedule is free for today."

"Am I really though?"

Serena countered with a sarcastic tone as Praya chuckled.

"For now, maybe. Not sure. If anything, then let's go out for drinks."

"Maybe. Shall see how I'm feeling later."

"I'll take it. Let me know. Talk to you later."

"Later."

The two hung up as Serena tossed her phone onto her bed before following after returning to her slumber.

Serena awoke some time later needing to use the toilet. Lifting herself from her bed and making her way to the bathroom when a mobile like device shaped like Maofah appeared in front of her causing her to stop  in mid-walk and stared at the item.

"You got a CUPID message!"

The device spoke in Maofah's voice as Serena click on the mail icon to open the pre-recorded video message to find out what Narak had sent.

"Oh, good morning and hello to you, Cupid V!"

Narak cooed in a sing-song voice.

"Just a friendly reminder that the year is about to end soon so that means some last minute missions will be on their way. So don't be overwhelmed if a lot start pouring in again during this festive time of the year. Take care and keep me updated if you do get a bit woozy from all of this. Toodles!"

The video ended with the Maofah phone disappearing soon after. Serena ran a hand through her hair before groaning loudly upon the realization that the year was ending and many things do happen around this time of year. She continued towards the bathroom.

"But first, my own needs, then the others."

Serena still didn't know how this whole supernatural thing work at times even if she's been a part of it for a few years. Currently she and Twilight Melanie were preparing for her sister's Christmas party at Twi-Melanie's job in the Twilight Room. The time frame was set in 2013. Serena visited her sister after Narak's video message. Surprisingly, it was just the two of them as all the familiars did their own thing elsewhere. She wondered what got them busy as they would normally bugged. She shook those thoughts away not wanting to miss their company.

"Uh, how many of these do you want me to do?"

Serena asked while placing all sorts of items into the goodie bags.

"There's two stores, so you need to make sure each bag has a headband, a treat bag, the mini games, and their gift card."

Melanie answered as she was busy sorting out who brought or didn't bring their Secret Santa gifts.

"Okay, so you already sorted out who's who?"

"Yeah. That's for the Yvaine store and that's for the Kouligna store."

Melanie pointed at all the goodie bags in their respective columns ready to be packed.

"I still have to add something so don't close them yet. I'll do that at the end."

"Okay."

Serena made her way over with the said items and just as she took another step it felt like she misstepped as she fell forward. She prepared to brace for the fall, but instead she was free-falling into nothingness as the items she was holding flew up as she continued falling. She instantly found herself at the Grim Reaper Station in uniform all fine and dandy. She still hated when this happened and huffed a bit.

"You think I would've gotten used to this by now."

She stretched her limbs while letting out a yawn as her gaze went to and fro wondering if Kanshu had summoned her for the fun of it.

"Ah, Reaper V."

Grim Reaper Serena's attention went towards the person calling out to her and saw Duhe approaching her.

"Perfect. It took a while to call for you, but glad you were able to hear my calling."

Duhe handed her a very thin gray file.

"Hi, and what's this?"

She took the file, but didn't open it.

"I need you to pick up the soul that's in that file."

"Oh? Did something happen with it's previous grim reaper?"

"No. This one just recently been processed although it took a while to come in and hasn't been assign to anyone as of yet."

"I see."

Duhe paused and cast her a neutral look.

"I didn't pull you away from your mortal activities, have I?"

"Um, not really."

Grim Reaper Serena answered vaguely while glancing at the file and back up at the Guardian of the Bridge of Hopelessness.

"Would you like me to fetch her now?"

"Not yet. She still has some things to take care of, but she'll ring for you when she's ready."

"Alright. Anything else?"

"Nope. That'll be all. Take care, Reaper V."

"Thanks, Duhe, and the same to you."

Grim Reaper Serena swooshed

Please log in to read the full chapter