chain of love III

9.0 thecupidreaper
Please log in to read the full chapter

november 28, 2019.  

It was a little after ten in the morning and Serena was knocking on the landlady's door who lived on the first floor of Bruni Mondal. Geraldine opened the door a moment later and warmly greeted Serena.

"Ah, Serena. What a surprise to see you up at this time. What can I do for you now?"

Serena cast the older woman a small and apologetic smile.

"Good morning, Geraldine. I know it's a super late notice, but I won't be attending the Thanksgiving party tonight or tomorrow night."

"Oh, dear. Why not?"

"I'm not feeling well and would like some time for myself to rest. I hope you understand."

"Oh, sweetie, I do. So don't worry. Since you've moved here I've only seen you a handful of times, but Eugenia always informed me on how hard you're working to support yourself every time I inquired about you."

Geraldine patted Serena's arm in reassurance.

"Although working too much can be a bad thing and to one's health, but to each their own and I won't meddle unless needed. Anyways, my dear, you go on and take a well deserved rest, Serena. I'll save you some leftovers and have the girls deliver them to your door later."

"Thank you so much, Geraldine. You are ever so kind."

"You're very welcome, my dear. Now, off you go and rest up."

"Thank you again."

Serena bid the older woman a goodbye before heading back up to her own place.

"I'm so tired."

Serena crashed onto the couch once she returned to her apartment after speaking with the landlady. She expected Maofah to make a smart comment, but it didn't come. Serena waited a bit, but nothing. It was super quiet. She frowned while re-positioning herself to lie on her back and gazed up at the ceiling. Lately the felines haven't been around as much as they used to be and she herself was becoming increasingly tired. Serena figured that the duo may have something to do at their respective realms while the tiredness must be from all the extra charges she was recently assigned as of late.

Serena sighed as she her side and her arm hit the top part of the sofa causing a gray file to fall on her. She had forgotten about it and put it to the side when Nerok had given it to her late last night. Curiously Serena peered inside and saw it was for a Courtney Park for a wish. She briefly glanced at the picture provided before skimming the contents. The person was the same age as Melanie, about two centimenters shorter than her, had quite a bit of piercings, and still in school.

Just as Serena was about to read further she heard the vibration of her phone and placed the file on the coffee table and reached over for the device. It was a message from her aunt wishing her a Happy Thanksgiving. Serena smiled and replied back to Eugenia to do the same although she wondered if she should give her a call and actually talk. She dismissed the idea as Eugenia would have called her instead of texting in the first place and assumed she had some important business to attend to at this time on her side.

She told her aunt 'good luck' and to have a lot of fun even though she was working before placing the mobile device back onto the table. It vibrated once more and Serena thought it was her aunt, but it was Praya instead. Her friend sent some details about a client, but Serena didn't want to think about work from either side at the moment and put her cellphone on 'do not disturb' before setting it aside. She then closed her eyes for a much needed rest and next felt something fall onto her stomach a moment later. She opened her eyes and slightly lifted her head to peer at what had fallen on top of her.

It was a small carton of rose milk tea and a small package of rice crackers. Serena hadn't seen these in a while although it was always some kind of flavored milk tea and a small snack every time. Serena remembered that they would appear after a long and tiring day or when she was fatigued more than normal. Serena spotted a mini note from Nerok and Maofah telling her to eat these treats and that she'll feel better afterwards. She smiled before consuming the snacks and indeed felt better afterwards. She wasn't sure if it was just the thought of it or that it did rejuvenate her, but Serena appreciated it. A moment later Serena fell fast asleep after having consumed all of the tasty contents. Almost as if her mind wandered back to a previous dream during the incident.
 

june 16, 2015.

Serena seemed to have escaped to the Dream Realm, but it felt more like a memory than something of imagination. She didn't ponder on it as her focus went onto this touch screen before her.

"Wow. I'm gonna make these like those energy supplies in games, but I want various flavors of milk tea and random snacks instead."

Serena started inputting things upon this holograhic touch screen of sorts.

"Ooh, I can even change the appearance. Alright, so I'm gonna make her a female. Now clothing and all that stuff. Wait, what's this? I can even make her have two different appearances. Oh, I just unlocked another option where she can be a human and have two supernatural lives, too. Wow, that's pretty cool. Hmm, gonna make her appearances be like that of an angel and devil while being a regular mortal. Nice."

In a way it was almost like she was creating a game character and building up how she wanted this character to be for whatever game she was playing. Serena chuckled to herself.

"Kinda cliche, but don't care and quite like it. Totally different looks that I would love to do, but it's too much work in general so why the human one is basic. Haha, and ooh, I can give even her magical attributes. Nice. This game is pretty awesome so far. I wonder what's it called again."

Serena's eyes scanned to see if she could view the name of the game and only caught it for a few seconds before it faded away.

"The Cupid Reaper? Hmm, I wonder what's it about since it could go either way with that word combo."

Her eyes lit up when she came upon another section of the design.

"Ooh, theme songs. So there's an opening, a main, and an ending. That's so hard to chose though."

Her eyes saw the random button that popped up a few seconds later and her brows furrowed.

"Can I have a random soundtrack to my life? Is it gonna choose for me and be just those three songs or is it like a random song each time? Hmm, well as long as it plays whatever songs pertaining to my preferences and not just three. Ooh, it does! Yes. Now let's see what songs it has that I'll actually like."

Serena happily clicked the random button for her music theme and continued designing the rest of her avatar character although she started thinking that it felt and seemed rather familiar somehow. Serena paused in mid-design to think about what she was doing and how did she even end up in this situation in the first place. It was like she was becoming aware of her surrounding and acknowledging it in a way.

"What am I doing here though?"

She looked about her, but everything was gray and empty except for herself and the glowing screen before her. She peered down at her attire and saw that she was in a plain silver-like sleeveless gown that reached mid-thigh. Serena wasn't sure if it was a sleepwear or formal wear. It was quite comfy, but she wondered where it came from as she never owned something like this before.

"Are you done making your character?"

A male voice suddenly asked from her right side, but when she turned to see who it was there was no one there. Serena swirled around her, but there was no other person in sight. She frowned before facing the monitor and stared at the character she had created. Serena tilted her head in confusion as it almost looked like her, but with a mixture of her own life with the two paranormal worlds.

"She's cute. Just like you."

Came the same voice, but once again Serena spotted no one and figured she was just going crazy.

"You're not going crazy, Serena Vorasavane."

The familiar voice came again and Serena didn't bother to try to search about her if she wasn't going to see the actual person, but it kinda freaked her out a bit when he stated her whole name.

"By the way, don't forget me."

Her ears became alert to the words as the voice became familiar now, but as she turned around to check she felt herself falling.
 

november 28, 2019.

Serena's eyes shot opened when she crashed against her living room's floor and barely missed the coffee table. She blinked a few times while shaking her head wondering what had just hapened. Before she could recollect her thoughts her cell phone rang. Serena lifted her head to locate her phone on the edge of the sofa. She sat upright on her knees, reached for the device, saw that it was Praya, and answered the call.

"Hi, Praya. What's up?"

"Good morning, Rena."

Praya greeted her friend with a chuckle.

"Although I know you don't like mornings."

"Yeah, something like that."

Serena re-positioned herself into a cross-legged position.

"Anyways, why'd you call?"

"Oh, yeah."

Praya informed her why she had called.

"Are you free later today before your Thanksgiving' dinner thing?"

"Well, depends on how you see it. I was going to sleep in as it's a holiday."

"Oh. I see."

"Is it work-related?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. What about it?"

"I was wondering if you could help me out with  Zee and Tina."

Serena's brows furrowed.

"Weren't they working with Charebelle?"

"Yes, but Charebelle's out of town doing another shoot. You know Lydia, and as for Claudine, school stuff."

"I see."

"So yeah, that makes you the only one that's free."

"Okay. That's fine. What time?"

"Are you sure. I don't want to bug you when you got that dinner later."

"I'm not going. Too much interaction for me as of right now."

"Oh, okay. Well, I'll get you some snacks as a special treat."

"Of course you would. But message me the detail."

"Got it. Thanks a lot, Rena."

"Welcome."

"Good. Great. Hold that pose. That's it. Lovely."

Serena praised in-between shots as she took photos of the couple in various poses and scene areas.

"Ooh, I like this pose compare to the others. Nice."

The couple were around Serena's age with the bride, Tina, fighting cancer, and the groom, Zee, supporting her through this difficult time. The pair were having their wedding photoshoot outside the hospital due in part to Tina's condition as it had worsen from before. Tina's doctor urged for the couple to up the date sooner as Tina's condition was still unstable and didn't want to risk anything. Both Zee and Tina decided to do that as they could hold the actual ceremony another time as their marriage was already registered a week ago. Anyhow, the weather was cool and a good chance to take advantage before it changed. Plus, everything was still in bloom and made for great late autumn and early winter photos.

"Alright, Zee, you're looking less nervous now as we go about this," Serena commented with a small laugh, "And Tina, please don't be so cautious and shy. Your smile is beautiful and no one can deny that!"

Serena continued to encourage them despite noticing Tina's body waning a bit. Then again, they've been at this for less than an hour.

"Okay, one more shot and we're done."

She announced.

"Then I'm out of your hair."

"That sounds like a great idea." Zee agreed as Tina nodded.

"Okay, then. What would you guys like to do?"

Serena waited for the pair to decide on their final shoot for the day.

"Hi. I'm home."

Serena said to the empty air. She awaited for some noise or a greeting, but nothing came.

"Huh? Not home again."

The felines were no where in sight once she returned home. When it was her and Eugenia they had different schedule, but would be able to message or call the other and plan out time for one another. As for the felines, they were usually always up in Serena's business not leaving her alone.

"The silence is comforting, but weird."

She brushed it off and went to change clothes after showering and had a small dinner. She was just too tired to cook or go out and eat. Serena caught up on some show before retiring earlier tonight. Once her head hit the pillow she instantly fell asleep without dreams this time around. Some time later there was a loud knock on her door. Serena jolted awake wondering what was going on. She checked her glowing digital clock and saw that it was just a little after nine. The knocks sounded again without female voices calling her name.

Serena registered them to be the four college students that live on the other side of her. She hurriedly made her way to the door to find Yeena, Charliena, Jannine, and Cathy onthe other side. The four students lived together for cheaper rent and been Serena's neighbor for less than a year. They almost felt like younger sister to her and which she may have a soft spot for. Anyways, the four had brought the food Geraldine had saved for Serena. Not wanting to be rude on this holiday weekend Serena invited them in for a bit to celebrate the holiday a little longer as the quartet were also away from home.

november 29, 2019.  

"So, Serena," Cathy called out with a few giggles following after.

"Hmm?" Serena hummed wondering why she was giggling.

"Serious or not so serious question depending if you wanna answer or not."

"Okay."

"Do you know that Arthur likes you or you do know that, but aren't interested in him?"

The quintet gathered into Serena's living room after eating the leftover dinner and having a few drinks in-between with the sound of the TV playing a random show softly in the background. The group of five stayed awake past midnight and continu

Please log in to read the full chapter