sa wakas, sa'yo.

Mga Kwentong Telesine.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2030. (0)

 

“I know this isn’t the Han River in Korea,” Joohyun said, staring at Seulgi who was looking at the spectacular sight before them, “Nor Central Park in New York or The Amstel in Amsterdam,”

 

“Hyun…” Seulgi turned to face her in awe, clearly at a loss for words because of where Joohyun had taken her.

 

“But I hope it’s close to what you have in mind.” Joohyun finished, eyes still locked on Seulgi’s face.

 

“Hyun,” Seulgi called out once more but this time, she held Joohyun by the shoulders so her bestfriend could fully face her. “Ang ganda dito,” Seulgi’s lips bloomed into a dazzling smile, “This place beats all the others by a mile. Forget about NY and Amsterdam, walang papantay dito.”

 

For the advanced celebration of Seulgi’s 36th birthday, Joohyun took charge of all their agendas, starting from where they will have brunch, to their afternoon festivities, to granting Seulgi’s birthday wish which is to have a little peace and quiet.

 

So, after having lunch at the nearby Cafe Mary Grace, Joohyun and Seulgi rented bicycles to cruise around the open space. Joohyun led her bestfriend to a lake that’s far from the crowd to grant her wish of having peace and quiet.

 

Relieved, Joohyun smiled back at Seulgi, “Tara na.”

 

They settled down on a stone bench and parked their bicycles behind it. Before them, a river was glowing in golden hues because of the sun’s beaming rays. Joohyun and Seulgi heard nothing but the sound of water coursing through the river, the minimal rattle of tree branches because of the wind, and other people walking by behind them.

 

Seulgi no longer had to assess if the place was enough. In fact, it was more than enough to give her the peace and quiet she’s been desperately looking for because her job at the firm was stressing her out.

 

She deemed the situation even better because she had her bestfriend with her. It has been a really long while since the last time they went out like this, or to be more accurate, since the last time they did their yearly tradition.

 

How many years has it been since the last one? Two? Three?

 

It didn’t matter to Seulgi and Joohyun anymore.

 

Not when they finally have each other even if it’s just for a few hours. They knew they had to make the most out of each passing second, no one really knows when the next time will be or if there will even be one.

 

“Musta na si Byul pati ‘yung dalawang boylet?” Seulgi asked in their bearable silence, her eyes fixated on Joohyun as she waited for an answer.

 

“Okay naman silang lahat,” Joohyun flashed a pursed smile in her response, “May swimming lessons si Kihyun sa clubhouse namin today, then si Byul, sigurado akong nagpapahinga ‘yon from work with Rowoon since Sabado ngayon.” She laughed softly at the sudden picture that popped in her head, “I bet they’re watching a Disney movie right now, probably Soul kasi paborito ni Rowoon ‘yon.”

 

“Soul?” Seulgi asked, absolutely stunned, “‘Di ba masyado pang bata si Rowoon to understand the message of that movie? ‘Di na ‘ko magugulat if he starts quoting Socrates one of these days or if he starts saying ‘your spark is not your purpose’.” She deepened her voice on purpose upon saying the quote.

 

Joohyun playfully nudged Seulgi as she laughed heartily, “Sira. Limang taon pa lang si Rowoon.” This caused her bestfriend to snicker.

 

“It’s not impossible,” Seulgi casually stated.

 

“How about you and Jennie?” Joohyun made sure to not ask Seulgi any work-related questions because she knew very well that it’s the root cause behind her bestfriend’s stress and desire to pause even just for a while, which is what they were doing now. “Musta na kayo?”

 

“She’s at home lang din. Probably doing yoga or just chilling with kuma.” Seulgi met Joohyun’s eyes, “Kinukumusta ka rin pala niya.”

 

“Tell her I’m doing well,” Joohyun simply smiled and turned to admire the river in hopes of getting peace and quiet as well. While its rippled surface continued to shine, she couldn't help but get distracted by something that was resting on Seulgi’s lap.

 

Just like the river’s water, the tiny but astonishing mark of forever on one of Seulgi’s fingers glimmered due to the sun’s vivid rays.

 

It was her wedding ring, a slim, golden band that looked very similar to Joohyun’s.

 

If other people were to see them and spot their respective wedding rings, it’s not impossible for these people to think that Joohyun and Seulgi are married.

 

In a sense, it’s true. They were indeed married, just not with each other.

 

Carefully, Joohyun reached for something inside her purse and slowly handed it to Seulgi. The latter was about to speak up but Joohyun quickly cut her off.

 

“I know we both agreed on your ‘no gifts’ policy,” She said with a raise of her finger, “Pero I just had to get you this nung nag CR ka kanina. Wala pa ‘yang isang daan kaya... please,” Joohyun sternly looked Seulgi in the eye, “‘Wag mo na ‘kong awayin.”

 

Seulgi decided not to banter with her bestfriend upon hearing her last statement, “‘Di naman kita aawayin.” She replied with a soft laugh and finally accepted the item in Joohyun’s hands, “Thank you, Hyun. Sobrang heartfelt.”

 

“Postcard lang naman ‘yan.”

 

“Kahit na, gifts like this are the best.”

 

Seulgi found her name written on the back of the plain, white envelope in narrow, cursive handwriting: ‘Seulgi Kang’. She smiled gratefully as she carefully tore the envelope’s flap to reveal the postcard that was inside. When she took it out and read the message on the cover, Seulgi just couldn’t hold herself back from giggling endlessly.

 

‘IKAW ANG PABURRITO KO’ was written in red, bold letters on the front cover above an illustration of a burrito smiling and standing on its ‘stick’ feet.

 

When Seulgi turned to look at her bestfriend in between giggles, Joohyun had on a smize that looked both proud and playful.

 

“I really mean it.” The latter said, her smize not faltering.

 

Seulgi proceeded to open the card to see the message that was inside. As expected, she saw Joohyun’s handwriting once more but this time, it filled the whole page.

 

ksg,

 

(Advanced) Happy 36th birthday. I couldn’t stand the thought of me not getting you anything on your second special day even with your ‘no gifts’ policy. So, though small and simple, I decided to get you this card. I still find it funny how I'm writing this in the middle of a crowd as I wait for you to finish your business.

 

For this year, my wishes for you have never really changed. Good health, a thriving career, a healthy married life, genuine happiness, a life without regrets.

 

The list can go on but after 22 years, I think words are no longer necessary to tell you these things one by one. It still strikes me how you can easily read my mind at times and how I can easily read yours, even if it’s nothing new anymore. 22 years later, I can still see you as the bright, bubbly kid who loves to smile and carry her portable cd player everywhere. Every memory feels as though it only happened yesterday with how vivid every single one is, and every laugh we share together feels like the first. Because with you around, I feel like time isn’t even real.

 

Here’s to turning 22 years into 44, 44 into 66, and 66 into an eternity.

 

Live a happy life, Seulgi.

 

Always by your side,

bjh

 

As her eyes lingered on the last line, Seulgi could only throw the first question that immediately came to mind,

 

“How did you write this so fast?” Seulgi’s eyes remained on the card, “Ang bilis ko lang nag cr ah?” She then looked at Joohyun.

 

With this, she received a quite painful but playful smack on the shoulder from Joohyun. Though the hit stung a little, Seulgi knew her bestfriend didn’t mean it.

 

“Ow, Hyun!” Seulgi yelped and immediately soothed the assaulted area using her hand. At the reaction on Joohyun’s face, she found herself giggling once more.

 

“I poured my heart out and then that’s all you have to say?” Joohyun feigned offense.

 

“Genuine question ‘yun!” Seulgi laughed and placed a hand on Joohyun’s wrist when the latter looked away in fake disappointment, “Pero Hyun, hey…” She softly tugged on her bestfriend’s wrist to get her attention. Fortunately, Joohyun gave in.

 

There was an affectionate smile on Seulgi’s lips, one that slightly puffed up her cheeks, “Thank you, sobra.” Seulgi said, her voice full of love. “I look forward to turning those 22 years into an eternity too.”

 

Joohyun only remained silent, letting her eyes convey her emotions instead. But in a matter of seconds, she broke her silence as she forgot to do something.

 

“To answer your genuine question,” Joohyun started, “Mabilis lang talaga ako mag sulat. Perks ‘yan as a ‘mahilig mag notes’ nung college.”

 

With this, Seulgi could only nod her head with a small laugh, looking satisfied with the answer she received.

 

“And you’re welcome, sobra rin.” Joohyun added.

 

Amidst the bearable silence, Seulgi suddenly rose from her seat and walked towards the shoreline of the river. As Joohyun’s eyes followed Seulgi’s every move, she took this chance to admire the sun-soaked figure of her bestfriend. The blue sky looked so much like a canvas with shining golden hues smeared across its heavenly surface along with the vibrant tress that completed the artwork-like view. Nothing else has made Joohyun feel more glad than ever to be in that very scenario than the woman who’s solemnly gazing beyond the river. She was sure of it, time really doesn’t feel real when she’s with Seulgi.

 

Joohyun smiled tenderly at the still scene that was unfolding before her. Cautiously, she took out her phone and quickly took a photo of the view that was very much worth remembering.

 

If gazing beyond a serene view was Seulgi’s way to destress and achieve peace and quiet, then Joohyun could say the same thing;

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter