sa hindi naging.

Mga Kwentong Telesine.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Commercial: I know enlistment ang sistema sa Ateneo pero I changed that up a bit in this chapter hahaha. Also ! One of my favorite characters in the series plays a major role in this part. Siya ang totoong #BestBoy eme. Thank you for reading!

 

 

Even at a young age, Joohyun ultimately knew that she should surround herself with people that will help her grow. Though she was a quiet kid in high school who only let down her walls for the people who earned her trust (and she will never deny it), Joohyun is thankful and quite surprised that she was able to find not just one, but five incredible people who she can call her true friends.

 

(It’s all thanks to Seulgi, honestly. Had her now bestfriend not approached her during the first day of their freshman year, it’s a no-brainer that Joohyun would be alone in the entirety of her high school years.)

 

And so, upon pondering on this thought, Joohyun has come to realize that there are only two types of people in this world,

 

The lessons and the blessings.

 

It’s not hard for her to say that her five greatest friends are the most pronounced blessings in her life, including her family.

 

And the lessons?

 

Well, as young as Joohyun is, there still have been quite a few that hurt and shook her with a realization that not everything will go her way and that not everyone will get along well with her. At first, it was a hard pill for her to swallow, but the older Joohyun got, the less heavy these truths became.

 

Because she has come to learn the value of acceptance.

 

However, Joohyun constantly finds herself in awe at life as it continued to throw surprises in her path that sometimes made her question her beliefs.

 

Like a man named Junmyeon Kim.

 

Though Joohyun believed that there are really only two types of people in the world that can enter her life at any time, it never really occurred to her that she can meet such an astonishing person of both types.

 

And she’s glad it turned out to be that way.



 

//



 

At times, it still fascinates Joohyun how a rejected confession bloomed into this - an unexpected but genuine friendship. She wasn’t going to lie, she definitely loved being friends with Junmyeon. And over time, Joohyun has come to admire and love three things about the young man.



 

His trustworthiness.

 

Ever since that one windy afternoon during their junior year of high school, when Junmyeon confessed to Joohyun and the latter ended up rejecting him, the young man never failed to keep his promise to her.

 

A promise to not tell anyone else about Joohyun’s feelings for Seulgi.

 

When Junmyeon said, “Mouth is zipped, Joo. ‘Wag kang mag-alala.” to reassure her, he really lived up to his words.

 

By the time their junior year ended, Joohyun didn’t hear any gossips about her situation.

 

Not even during their senior year.

 

Nor her pre-CAT bathroom talks with her classmates,

 

Nor their senior prom night that she attended with Junmyeon,

 

Nor their high school graduation.

 

Junmyeon stayed true to his words and really kept his mouth zipped.

 

Irene felt more than relieved because of it. However, there was a tiny pang of guilt in her chest. Because she expected the worst-case scenario to happen and assumed that Junmyeon will easily spread her secret among their peers. It’s an unhealthy mindset, but Joohyun’s glad that Junmyeon was among the few ones that changed and went against it.

 

The young man was quite a surprise.

 

So, after their graduation ceremony, when everyone’s hugging each other to death while either crying or smiling sadly, Joohyun excused herself from her group of friends for a moment because she had something important to do.

 

As she made her way through a sea of white togas and melancholic cries, Joohyun found Junmyeon taking photos with his family near the stage. The handful of medals hanging around his neck made Joohyun wonder if Junmyeon was having a hard time carrying them. Still, the sight made her smile. Joohyun was truly proud of her friend.

 

It didn’t take long before Junmyeon noticed her waiting close by. He handed his diploma to his older brother and excused himself for a while before he made his way to where Joohyun was standing. With a smile, Junmyeon stood happily in front of Joohyun.

 

2010. (7, 259)

 

“Congrats, Myeon.” Joohyun said with the same look of happiness on her face, “Ang galing talaga ng salutatorian namin. Hindi ka ba nabibigatan diyan sa mga medalya mo? Baka sumasakit na ‘yung leeg mo.” She joked.

 

Junmyeon laughed heartily, “Congrats din, Joo. Tsaka I could ask you the same question. Mas mabigat pa nga ata ‘yang sa’yo eh.” He pointed at the same gold medals that were hanging around Joohyun’s neck.

 

“Sira!” She tapped his shoulder playfully, earning her another laugh. In a matter of seconds, Joohyun’s playful aura was replaced with a sentimental one. She had a teary smile on her face when their laughter died down.

 

“Myeon, gusto ko lang mag thank you… sa pagtago ng secret ko tungkol kay Seulgi, sa pagiging totoong kaibigan. Actually, sa lahat.” Joohyun let out a watery chuckle. Her urge to cry was getting stronger every second. “Apat na taon tayong mag kaklase pero nung third year lang tayo naging close. Nakakabitin pala. Gusto pa sana kitang makasama nang matagal.” She paused to suppress the incoming tears. Joohyun would like to think of herself as a person who rarely cries, but being naturally emotional (she still denies it) goes against that thought of hers every time.

 

“Tsaka sorry kasi binasted kita no’n.” Joohyun finally said but not without a shy laugh.

 

“Sabi ko naman sa’yo ‘di mo na kailangan mag sorry. Tagal na rin since nangyari ‘yun.” Junmyeon said, “And Joo, I’m your friend, I’m not supposed to hurt you. As long as you want me to, I will never hesitate to listen and help.” His gentle but certain tone was followed by a sincere smile, “I promise.”

 

At that point, Joohyun was sure she was going to burst into a fountain of tears if she opened to say another word. So instead, she opened her arms wide to express her feelings in the best way she knows.

 

Junmyeon didn’t hesitate to step into Joohyun’s space and wrap her in a friendly hug. In those brief seconds, they felt nothing but a sense of warmth saying ‘I’m going to miss you.’ and ‘See you soon.’ from their palms, a sense of comfort, a sense of trust.

 

When they broke free from each other’s embrace, their heads turned at the sound of Junmyeon’s name.

 

“Jun!” It was his father, “Picturan ko kayo ng friend mo. Pose kayo, bili!” The man said excitedly.

 

The pair of friends did as they were told and brought themselves closer to each other before smiling a smile that proved their hard work in the past 4 academic years and the memories made between all of it.

 

At the count of 3, a flash captured a memory that was meant to last in the following years. Even after the photo was taken, Joohyun just couldn’t seem to stop smiling.

 

“Send ko na lang sa’yo ‘yung pictures natin through email.” Junmyeon said afterward. Joohyun simply nodded.

 

“Hyun!”

 

Once again, the pair turned their heads but this time, to the sound of Joohyun’s name. They were quick to spot Seulgi who was raising a hand above her head to get her bestfriend’s attention.

 

“Picture tayo!” Seulgi had her ‘ddeulgi’ smile on as she held her graduation cap in one hand and then her camera in the other.

 

Joohyun turned around to face Junmyeon, “Myeon, wait lang ah. Mag picture lang kami.”

 

“Sure, gusto niyo ba na ako na ‘yung kumuha?”

 

“Sige,” Junmyeon gave a nod at Joohyun’s response, and together, they walked to where Seulgi was. After Joohyun told Seulgi that Junmyeon would be the one to take their photo, Seulgi didn’t hesitate to hand her bestfriend her camera so she could give it to Junmyeon.

 

“Okay, pose kayo guys!” As Junmyeon adjusted his eye to the viewfinder, Joohyun flashed a smile beside Seulgi. She held her hands together and rested them on her front with a wide smile that radiated nothing but joy.

 

“Game, one… two…”

 

At Junmyeon’s second count, Seulgi was quick to pull Joohyun closer just to wrap an arm around her shoulder. With a sudden rush of heat on her cheeks, Joohyun looked up to her bestfriend to see her smiling so brightly as if nothing else made her happier to be in that moment. In return, she s an arm around Seulgi’s waist and closed the remaining space between them.

 

“...three!”

 

As the camera’s shutter went off to capture the smiles on their faces and freeze time even just for a second, Joohyun felt as if she saw the following years of her life flash before her eyes.

 

And she’s more than glad to still see Seulgi by her side,

 

But maybe, just with a few new changes.



 

//






 

His honesty.

 

Sometimes, Joohyun would think back on the promise Junmyeon made during their graduation. Apart from that, his last words for her on that day made Joohyun ponder about their exact message for the rest of the summer before their freshman year of college.

 

“We’re going to see each other again very soon. You’ll see.” Junmyeon had said. Joohyun took his words as some form of good luck and interpreted them as in they’d see each other again in the near future when they’re successful. That’s all the thought she had put into it.

 

However, life definitely loved throwing surprises down Joohyun’s path. Even when it came to seeking answers for her ceaseless questions and wonders.

 

2010. (7, 179)

 

Ateneo gave Joohyun a fresh start. The moment she stepped inside the campus, she was struggling to distinguish whether she was feeling afraid or excited, without knowing that those two are actually just the same.

 

The university just felt like a whole different world within the hustle and bustle of QC. Its very welcoming and remarkable environment constantly stunned Joohyun for a ton of reasons. There are cats on campus that would often nap in the Zen garden; sometimes students, mostly boys, would skate around the place to get to their classes; and recently, Joohyun found out that Atenistas celebrate Valentine’s day during August as an event. Why? Because that’s when flowers are at their cheapest prices according to the organizer.

 

These are just a few of the many reasons why Joohyun was slowly coming to love the place. And each day, the university continues to surprise her as it reveals another wonder about itself. Gladly, Joohyun’s willing to stay to discover all of them, even if she finds herself feeling puzzled at times.

 

Like right now, for instance.

 

“Bakit may coins na naka tape sa pader?” Joohyun inspected the 5 and 10 peso coins taped on the wall like a rock climbing course.

 

“Ah, those are for the girls na walang barya,” Seyoung pointed at the sanitary napkin vending machine near the toilet’s entrance, “Just in case they need it to buy a pad.” She added.

 

Joohyun gave a slow nod. Even if she hadn’t seen such an act anywhere else before, it still made so much sense. She stood beside Seyoung, who was fixing her hair in front of the mirror, to wash her hands in one of the sinks.

 

“Where do you want to eat pala? Gusto mo pa bang lumabas or should we just go to JSEC?” Seyoung asked as she brushed her dark locks.

 

“Hmm, sa JSEC na lang tayo. Malapit na rin kasi ‘yung next class natin.”

 

“Sige, JSEC it is.”

 

Joohyun met Seyoung during orientation week. Everyone else in their class talked too much and apparently, Seyoung hated that because as she so strongly expressed, ‘I don’t like hearing too many words at once. It makes my head hurt.’ Then came Joohyun, who was the epitome of silence. One thing led to another and here they were, also talking too much but with one another. Apart from sharing the same interest in music, the two were able to build a connection with ease because of Joohyun’s exciting stories that Seyoung loved listening to and Seyoung’s sense of humor that Joohyun couldn’t get enough of.

 

The young woman was simply stunned. Joohyun wasn’t as bad as Seyoung thought for someone who rarely talks. Fortunately, Joohyun felt the same way about her.

 

They made their way to JSEC after Joohyun dried her hands. At that hour of the day, there weren’t a lot of students wandering around campus, unlike when they have to attend their 8 am class where the place looked like a crowded concert venue.

 

While walking, there came a vibration in the pocket of Joohyun’s jeans that caught her attention. She took out her phone that was causing the sensation and checked if anyone had texted her.

 

Myeon (1:07 pm): Joo may klase ka ngaun?

 

Though Joohyun was a little baffled at the sudden message from Junmyeon, she didn’t hesitate to type a reply,

 

Joo (1:09 pm): mamaya pang 2

 

Myeon (1:10 pm): anu kulay ng suot m right now?

 

Joo (1:10 pm): weird nmn ng tanung mo… nka brown ako bkt??

 

Myeon (1:11 pm): haha tingin k sa likod xD

 

At that, Joohyun’s eyebrows met into a deep frown. For a second, she had a thought that Junmyeon might be toying her but she knew he wasn’t one to do so. Knowing him, Joohyun’s certain that he doesn’t fancy pulling such tricks. Even so, she still decided to follow his message.

 

“Seyoung, wait lang,” Joohyun said as she stopped in her tracks, causing her friend to do the same but with a questioning look on her face.

 

“Why?” Seyoung gazed at her friend questioningly. However, Joohyun was too flabbergasted to answer.

 

Because there, in the middle of the path walk, a very handsome, very smiley, and very delighted Junmyeon was standing and waving at her.

 

Seyoung glanced at the direction Joohyun was facing and saw an unfamiliar man. Before she could even ask Joohyun about who he was, her friend was already saying the words, “May ipapakilala ako sa’yo,” and excitedly pulling her towards the stranger.

 

Joohyun’s smile reached her ears the moment they reached Junmyeon. She couldn’t hold herself back from wrapping her arms around the man that she thought she’d never see as much anymore.

 

“Oh my god, anong ginagawa mo dito? Akala ko ba nag UP ka?” Joohyun asked when they parted, eyes wide and mouth hung open.

 

Junmyeon beamed at her reaction, “Tinurn down ko yung offer eh,” He scratched the back of his neck as if he was embarrassed, “Ateneo kasi talaga ang dream school ko.”

 

“Ah, anong nang course mo? Economics pa rin?”

 

He shook his head with a soft smile, “Comtech na pinili ko.”

 

“Hala, JGSOM ka rin pala!” Joohyun cooed excitedly and mirrored the look on Junmyeon’s face. “I’m glad you’re here. May ipapakilala pala ako sa’yo. Myeon, this is Seyoung, ka-block and friend ko. Seyoung, this is Junmyeon, high school friend ko.”

 

Seyoung quickly reached out her hand for a formal handshake as she smiled politely, “It’s nice to meet you, Junmyeon.”

 

“My pleasure, Seyoung.” He shook her hand courteously like the gentleman he was. “So, wala kayong class ngayon?” Junmyeon asked once he and Seyoung retrieved their hands.

 

“Wala,” Seyoung shook her head, “Actually, Joohyun and I were just on our way to eat sa JSEC. Do you want to join us?”

 

“I’d love to. Wala naman akong class for the next two hours.” Junmyeon said.

 

A pleasant smile graced Seyoung’s debonair lips, “Let’s go then,”

 

The three of them decided to settle with a not-so-cheap meal from a popular sandwich stall inside the student mall. Junmyeon volunteered to be the one to place Joohyun’s and Seyoung’s orders so they can pick a table immediately.

 

Once there was nothing left on their table but crumpled paper wrappers, tainted tissues, and empty paper cups that they gathered on a tray for easier disposal, Junmyeon began to tell Seyoung about his relationship with Joohyun.

 

“So, high school friends kayo?” Seyoung asked before taking the final sip of her iced tea. She placed the cup on the tray after it was empty.

 

“Yeah,” Junmyeon nodded, his arms crossed on the table. “Block section kami ni Joo dati so we were classmates for 4 years. Pero nung 3rd year lang kami naging close.” He explained.

 

“How?”

 

Joohyun felt Junmyeon’s eyes on her. He had this reluctant look on his face like he was asking if it was okay to tell the quite unfortunate starting point of their striking friendship. She easily understood what Junmyeon was trying to express, and so she let him.

 

At Joohyun’s nod, Junmyeon let out a chuckle as he faced Seyoung, “Crush ko si Joo back then pero binasted niya ‘ko.”

 

The usually alluring expression on Seyoung’s face instantly changed into a startled one. Junmyeon couldn’t help the small laugh that erupted from his stomach because of the look on her face.

 

“Sabi niya sa’kin noon, ‘Just because you turned me down as your suitor, doesn’t mean I can’t be your friend who’s willing to be there for you.’ Ang tagal na since nangyari ‘yon pero ‘di ko talaga makalimutan.” Joohyun added and turned to look at Junmyeon. She may not say it aloud, but her eyes were strong enough to convey the admiration she has for the young man.

 

Even after 2 years, Junmyeon was still there. And he was living up to his words.

 

“That’s an excellent point,” Seyoung commented, “Pero what was the reason? Bakit ‘di mo binigyan ng chance si Junmyeon?”

 

Joohyun felt Junmyeon’s eyes on her once more, but this time, his gaze was pregnant with concern. He knew it was a question that Joohyun can’t answer in an instant because of certain circumstances. He also knew that there were only very few people Joohyun trusted when it came to sharing stories about her personal life. Junmyeon just wasn’t sure if Joohyun was going to temporarily change that for the sake of making new friends.

 

“I-I like someone else,” Joohyun ended up saying, her tone fragile.

 

A faint gasp of excitement escaped Seyoung’s lips, “Really? Sino?” she asked eagerly before her voice dropped into a whisper, “Do you still like the person?”

 

The last question resonated in Joohyun’s head like an alarm, and each wave from it easily made her heart quiver along with every deep beat. All that’s missing then was the very presence of the person that had her feeling that way.

 

“Just another high school friend,” Joohyun kept her answer as vague as possible. She clearly wasn’t ready to talk about that matter with someone whom she wasn’t that close with yet.

 

“And yes,” She then felt her lips curving up on their own, “I still like the person.” There was conviction in her voice now.

 

At the back of her mind, Seulgi effortlessly set aside Joohyun’s thoughts and occupied the void that was left. She was all Joohyun could think about in those passing seconds.

 

“Taray, edi you’ve liked this person for a long time na?” Seyoung asked to which Joohyun answered with a mere nod. A teasing but still friendly smile played on Seyoung’s lips as she looked at her friend knowingly, “Chika mo ‘yan sa ‘kin next time ah.”

 

Feeling relieved, Joohyun let go of the breath she was holding in and gave Seyoung a tight-lipped smile, “Next time, sige.”

 

“Ikaw naman, Junmyeon,” Seyoung shifted her attention to the young man who just remained silent during the whole exchange, “Why Ateneo? I heard Joohyun say kanina na you were supposed to go to UP but you turned down their offer. Why?”

 

“Well, aside from the fact that Ateneo is my dream university… I no longer liked the course I applied for sa UP. After ng graduation namin nung high school, Economics started to sound tedious to me and I began losing interest in it. Kaya buti na lang I got the course I wanted dito sa admu.” Junmyeon explained in one go, making Seyoung and Joohyun nod slowly in understanding, “But what about you, Seyoung? Why management?”

 

“It’s a family thing, really,” Seyoung began, “Almost everyone sa family namin took up a business-related course. My parents, titos and titas, cousins, pati si ate. Even my younger brother na 3rd year high school pa lang, kino-consider na rin mag take ng business.”

 

“Atenista kayong lahat in the family?” Joohyun butted in.

 

Seyoung nodded, “Mmmh, pero most of my titos and titas attended other universities.” she answered, “Ikaw, Joo? I never got to ask you this, but why management?”

 

Joohyun didn’t have to think too hard about it, the answer was crystal clear inside her head. “Simple lang naman ‘yung akin,” she answered, “Nag MGT ako kasi gusto kong magkaro’n ng sarili kong business pagkagraduate natin ng college. That’s it.”

 

“What type of business?” Junmyeon then asked.

 

“‘Di pa ‘ko sure dito, pero gusto kong mag establish ng parang ‘chill’ tambayan slash inuman place then magtatrabaho pa rin ako on the side and such.”

 

“Inuman? Kailan ka pa naging tanggera?” Asked Junmyeon in a teasing manner. He earned a protest from Joohyun and a chuckle from Seyoung upon seeing the old friends squabble.

 

“That’s really impressive, Joo.” Seyoung commented after the two have settled down, “You already have a vision about what you want to do in the future as early as now. Magkakaprogress ka kaagad niyan.”

 

Joohyun showed her appreciation for Seyoung and her words by smiling, “Pwede pa naman mag bago ‘yun along the way.”

 

“May starting point ka na already, that sets you way ahead than the other students here that don’t even know what they want or those who are still unsure about the course they’re taking at their 2nd or 3rd year.” Seyoung continued, “Who knows, Joo, maybe makapag establish tayo ng sarili nating stall here sa JSEC. Junmyeon will take care of advertising then we’ll be the ones to run the business itself.”

 

Junmyeon laughed out of delight at the thought, “Sounds like a plan, Seyoung.”

 

As still as she was in her seat, Joohyun felt ecstatic about Seyoung’s vision that it created a rush of adrenaline through her veins. It was all in their minds for now, but she believed that over time if they stay passionate and dedicated, the three of them can actually make it happen.

 

So, with that, Joohyun gleefully answered, “We’ll work on it.”



 

//



 

2011. (6,753)

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter