nice to meet you

when the ice melted and the fire subsided

Lia loved children. She’s glad Ha Seok hired her despite she’s still a college student. Ha Seok said she has a wonderful voice, and ready to work with her when she graduated. Lia’s excited and worked extra hard at the academy. She’s strict, but the children loved her because she taught them slowly, making sure they understand before moving on to the next task. Ha Seok actually owned a music studio that popular among top singers, but he decided to also open an academy for children. He’s rarely in the academy and spent most of his time at the studio on the second and third floor. Other than Lia, there are several vocal instructors.

“Did you steal my music sheets?” she heard one of her students shouted. She immediately entered the room.

“No! Just look at my bag!” the other student showed his empty bag. Lia took a deep breath. She have to stay calm in front of the children.

“What happened?” the girl who accused the boy approached her.

“I can’t find my music sheets. I remember lending it to Hajun yesterday and didn’t receive it back,” said Dajung. She knows music sheets are mandatory for the class.

“But I don’t have it anymore! Look at my bag!”

Lia have to calm the two down and asked them to break down the chronology. It turned out Dajung’s music sheets are in Hajun’s car after he asked his mother to copy it, because his mother suddenly came to give it. Case closed. Sometimes Lia can’t help but think she has dual personality, the first one is her real self, the ticking bomb, and the second one is her sweet and calm personality in front of her students. She asked them to warm up and left the room to grab a water.

“Ooh, so you know how to not get angry”

She startled because she heard a familiar voice. She looked behind her and found Lee Hyun sitting on the couch.

“What are you doing here?” asked her in disbelief.

“Don’t look at me that way, I’m not following you, obviously,” he crossed his leg. “I have an appointment with Mr. Ha Seok,”

“And how do you know him? I’ve been working here for three years and never saw you,”

“Grumpy and curious. It’s because I used to come when the children are gone, I can’t stand the noisy surrounding,” answered him.

She was speechless once again. “That means you don’t hate noisy surrounding anymore, I believe? You just saw some children fighting here,”

“Not really. But I have to get used to it now my partner is not just grumpy and curious, she asks too many questions,”

Before she could answer, Seok arrived downstairs. “You’re here? Let’s go. You know we have only 45 minutes today, right?” he was about the went upstairs again when he suddenly turned around. “Lia, this is Hyun. I think you are on the same year, no?”

“He’s the ice guy I told you before,” said Lia. Seok laughed so hard while the two of them went silent.

“Ah, it’s so funny. Ice and fire will have to work together and my place will be the witness,” Hyun chuckled and followed him upstairs. Lia again took a deep breath and back to the room.

After the class ended, Lia ready to go home. She found Seok and Hyun chatting in the front door. It’s raining outside, and Lia cursed at herself for not bringing umbrella again.

“Looking at your face, you didn’t bring an umbrella again, right?” asked Seok. She just nodded. She saw Hyun with an umbrella, but no way he’s willing to her to the bus stop.

“I can run. See you, Mr. Ha!” she used her bag as an umbrella and ran to the bus stop. As she predicted, Hyun didn’t even bother to ask her, and when she arrived at the bus stop, he saw Hyun arrived safe and sound at the same bus stop.

“You, you should have told me you’re also going here!” she finally exploded.

“I’m about to tell you but you already ran. Is it my fault?”

Lia was embarrassed. She moved far away from him, and when the bus arrived she hop in without even looking at him. He took a seat a few rows behind her. She is Yoo Lia, and embarrassment only stay for a couple of minute and she wouldn’t care anymore. Her apartment is four bus stop away from the academy, and on the third bus stop, Hyun get up, gave her the umbrella without saying anything, and get off the bus.

She was again startled but hold the umbrella. She saw him ran from the bus stop. What was it? She thought. Why would that cold guy suddenly gave her his umbrella?

For the first time in so long, she’s deep in thought. Her usual self usually don’t overthink. Maybe he felt guilty, she thought. She decided to snap out from her thoughts and used the umbrella when she arrived at the bus stop until she reached home.

 

----

 

Hyun cursed the way he gave the umbrella to Lia. Would she think it was cringe?

He grew up in an environment when fight and shout are part of his everyday that makes him hate loud and noisy surrounding. His mother and father fought everyday that lead them into divorce. He barely make it into college without Seok’s help that believe he has a potential to be a singer. Seok is a family friend, and when his parents got divorced, he and his wife practically raised him.

He rarely contact his family and finally agreed to go to college to start fresh. He often went to Seok’s studio to develop music at night, the only time the studio is empty, but in the past month he’s been coming in the afternoon because a singer have a different schedule and have to use the studio at night. He came after class, and often saw Yoo Lia teaching kids. She’s strict but fun, and children loved her. When Professor Kwon partnered him up with Yoo Lia, he’s actually glad to be with someone who’s good and capable. But with he hides it well with his cold upbringing.

After a warm bath, he decided to start researching for their final assignment. He knew Yoo Lia has a strong voice, so he searched for female singer who has a duet. This assignment is also important for him even though he didn’t show it.

Save my number, Mr. Popular. Let’s start doing research tomorrow after class

He looked at his phone and found a message from Lia. He chuckled, replied “ok” and saved her number as Grumpy.