peace time

when the ice melted and the fire subsided

She believed her hometown has the ability to heal people. Being home for a month and a half made her slowly back to her old self. She once went to accompany her mother to a temple on a mountain, and was moved with the words hanging on the tree: “face your problems and be at peace”. Maybe in order to make peace with herself she should forgive Hyun and accept the fact it’s more than fine to retake the class. This time, she’ll make sure to enjoy her last few months in campus before graduating.

“Mom, I think I’m ready to forgive Lee Hyun,” she told her mom as they climb down the mountain to go back home. Her mom smiled.

“Thank you for opening your heart, Lia-ya,” her mom told her. She was moved because her mom appreciate her in everything she did. “Are you going to Seoul to meet him?”

Lia shook her head. “He said he’s willing to come here if I ask him to,” she chuckled. “Wouldn’t be it nice if he see all the places that heal me? The beach, the park, the mountain, I think that will help him not feeling guilty anymore.”

Her mother smile widely. “Aigoo, what a beautiful girl with beautiful heart.”

 

--

 

Even though her plan to finally forgive him and fix their relationship sounds simple, she’s nervous to call him. His name has been on her screen for an hour and she only need to click that name to hear his voice. After calmed herself down, she called him. It’s 8pm, and it only took him 5 seconds before answering.

“Hh-hello?” he answered awkwardly.

“Hi. You told me you’ll come to Busan if I ask you, is it still relevant?” asked her. She tried to be as calm as possible.

“Yy-es, of course,” answered him after a moment of silence. “I think if I go now I can still board the last train.”

Lia chuckled. “Not right now, of course. Can you come here tomorrow morning? I’ll be at the station.”

After he awkwardly said yes, they disconnect the call. Lia wished her decision to let him come will be a good decision for both of them

 

--

 

Hyun bolted from his chair he was sitting on inside Ha Seok’s studio. He can’t believe after more than a month without any news about her, she asked him to visit her. His heart beating so fast, and he ran home from the studio. He prepared his bag with clothes and other things even if he’s not sure if he’s going to spend a night or not. When he looked at himself in the mirror, he saw himself but with a very big smile which is kind of rare. Only Yoo Lia can make the cold man looking like a fool smiling from ear to ear, but deep inside he also worried what she’s going to tell him. Is she going to forgive him? Or she decided to officially cutting ties with him? He can only hope.

3 hours from Seoul to Busan that day might be the longest 3 hours in his entire life. His companion is an old iPod given to him years ago from his cousin, a kimbab, and a paper bag full of food from Mrs. Choi. When he told her he’s going to Busan to meet Lia, Mrs. Choi was very excited thus she prepare so much for his breakfast on the go and some food from Lia’s family. When the train approached Busan station, he immediately get down and went to search for Lia.

She’s sitting on a bench by herself, her phone on was on her right hand but her eyes were looking at a little kitten sleeping not far from the bench. Her long hair were gone and now she has shoulder length hair and he thought that style suited her better. When he approached her, her eyes found his. She stand up and smiled awkwardly at him.

“There you are. Thanks for coming,” she said while looking directly at his eyes. Ha smiled.

“You cut your hair, it looks good on you,” replied him. She only smiled and shifted her eyes to the paper bag she was holding.

“What’s that? Don’t tell me that’s from Mrs. Choi,” said Lia. She recognized Mrs. Choi’s pale green lunch boxes from the paper bag.

“Correct. When I told her I’m going to visit you, she’s the most excited one.”

She laughed. It’s been so long since he heard her laugh. She lead them to the parking lot and drive both of them out of the station. He volunteered to drive, but she said no because her dad firmly told her to not let her guest drive. He didn’t ask where were they going, and didn’t talk until she asked him something. He’s nervous because finally she’s within his sight again and on the contrary guessing what she’s about to say. She finally parked her car at a parking lot near a beach and signaled him to get out. It’s been so long since he went to see the sea. The breeze were cool and the scenery was amazing.

“Wonderful, isn’t it? I went here almost every day to clear my mind, to walk my dog, or sometimes I only stare at the sea for hours,” she said as they walked into the sand. He can only looked at her.

She took a deep breath. “You know I’m an ambitious girl who plan her life carefully. I had plans and long list of things I want to achieve in life then things go unplanned because you’re late to the exam.”

She continued. “I was mad at you. Maybe deep inside I am still mad at you. But I realized I don’t need to be as perfect as my plans because I’m only human. I am embarrassed because many people told me I’ll be the best graduate this year and I’m going to succeed, but then again because of the incident you caused I was reminded that I can’t always be perfect even I really want to. My dad thought me to always look for a bright side in every occasion in my life, and he told me he’s glad you were late because I can finally break free from my activities and take a better care of myself.”

They were seated on the sand. She’s talking to him while looking at the sea, but even the scenery was breathtaking, he can only see her. He only looked at her and his silence indicating her to continue.

“At first it’s hard to be home when I’m usually so active, but now I’m afraid I’m so used of being lazy and doing nothing,” she chuckled. “So I want to forgive you and keep our friendship, because, you know, beside Dojin and Minsoo you’re my only friend in Professor Kwon’s class next semester.”

He didn’t laugh. His silence made her shifted her eyes from the sea and find him staring at her. “Want to say something?” asked her.

“Can I hug you?” asked him, but before she could answer, he embraced her so tight. She thought she would be so embarrassed, but instead she felt warmth and safe with his arms around her.

“I don’t know what to say because a thank you wouldn’t do. But I want to thank you, for forgiving me and wanted to keep our friendship, because I thought you’re not going to stay friends with me when you eventually forgive me,” he took a deep breath. “I’m a jerk and sometimes I’m cold, but I’m trying my best to be a good friend,”

Lia smiled and break free from the hug. “I know you tried and will always try your best.”

That day they spend the whole afternoon catching up with each other, then she invited him to her home for dinner before he take the last train to Seoul. He’s so nervous to meet her parents. Before she could press the passcode, her mother opened the door.

“Aigoo! Welcome, you must be hungry. I’m Lia’s mom, come in,” Lia’s mother greeted him warmly. He was surprised by the warm welcome and could only bowed.

“Hi there, the man who made my daughter come home for a whole month,” her father greeted him from the kitchen. Lia chuckled.

“Dad, that greeting is kind of weird,” said Lia, signaling Hyun to join her in the dining table. He sit awkwardly while the Yoo family moving food from kitchen to the dining table. When he offered to help, Lia’s mom told him to sit still.

“Lia told me you like pork ribs. I hope you like my cooking,” said Lia’s mom while giving the ribs to his rice bowl.

Hyun smiled and eat the ribs. “This is so delicious, Mrs. Yoo,” he said politely. They enjoyed the dinner and the conversation with the family. Her parents were so kind and never mentioned about the final exam incident, but he thought he needed to apologize to her parents when Lia excused herself to the toilet.

“I’m sorry, Mr and Mrs. Yoo, because of me Lia can’t graduate this year,” he told them. To his surprise, they were confused and laughed.

“Why? We like it this way. We can have her the whole school break without any interruptions. It’s okay, it’s time for her to learn to slow down and not everything will go they way she planned,” her mom answered him.

“Lia told us so much about you, and she rarely do that. She always talked about Maha, Hyunji and Ryeok all the time. To her, you’re a good friend. I hope you’ll keep it that way,” said her dad. Hyun was embarrassed but proud at the same time.

“Ya, Lee Hyun, you’re going to miss the last train,” said Lia after she went from the bathroom.

“What last train? He’s going to sleep here, right?” her mom answered instead.

Hyun panicked. “O-oh, we can still make it to the station, Mrs. Yoo,”

“Yes, we still have half an hour, Mom. He didn’t even bring spare clothes,” said Lia.

“Ya, you made him come here early in the morning, he must be tired. He can wear your clothes. End of discussion.”

Her parents suddenly busy clearing up the living room and prepare a bed for him. Lia sighed and mouthed ‘sorry’ to him, and he only nodded. He actually don’t mind spending the night. After a round of go-stop, Lia and her parents went to their room. Hyun was about to close his eyes when Lia when come out from her room wearing jacket.

“Ya, Lee Hyun, are you asleep?” asked her, kneeling down beside his bed.

“Not yet, why? Why are you going?” asked him, surprised seeing her with jacket.

“Not me, but us. Come on, I’ll show you my secret hideout,” handing him the jacket she’s been holding, she led him outside. He followed right after her.

She lead him to their backyard. They have a small cozy sitting area with a fire place. From there, he can hear the waves and stargazing because the sky was so clear. Lia quickly lit the fire, and both of them spend the night listening to each other.

 

 

---

IM SO SORRY FOR THE VERY LATE UPDATE!

I'm having a mental breakdown because of this never ending pandemic and went to have some sessions with a psychologist. I'm much better now and will try my best to keep updating. I hope you didn't forget the story lol and let me know what you think about this chapter! stay safe <3