Swings

Rock Chaewon's Boat

Trigger Warning: This chapter mentions strong language and bullying so please read at your own discretion. I try to cut back as much as possible without being too graphic and detailed but I’m slightly numb to words others find slightly offensive so if I offend you in any way feel free to let me know, I’ll gladly omit or reword it. 



Chastised by what Suyun had said, every step to Hitomi’s place is more dreadful. “I told you that Minju isn’t good for you. She might act like she’s great and all so that everyone likes her but in reality, she’s a liar and a usurper! You asking her out only fed her narcissism! You’re not the first person to ask her out and you won’t be the last. It’s even more annoying that she said yes to you so she could torture you!” 

V58TLfKBuNrmyAMShOBmBk80GK7sILSF26viCJClCCtpPejhWdHaCwg4Nl-LDxkIwCd1AKdpeWOo0-ojnfrxXNsRt6XxpQgQ4oFUP9A0878OUudviODMyAHsFWMK_NVVNfw-4bsq

Standing before Hitomi’s white apartment door, Chaewon takes a deep breath and fights off second thoughts before pushing the doorbell. When the door crack opens, she’s greeted by the brown doe-eyes of Hitomi’s. “Hello, Chaewon. Minju said you were coming. Glad you could make it.” 

Chaewon finds it strange how fluent Hitomi sounds. Either Minju’s mentoring paid off or the Japanese girl is seeing someone as the elders always joke; no one learns another language faster than to impress the one they like. 

“Is Minju inside?” 

“Yes. Come in.” 

Chaewon takes a step forward but chickens out when she hears all the noises coming from deep inside the building. As she expected, Minju and Hitomi aren’t alone. The gang, more vividly Yena, Yujin, and Yunseong’s peals of laughter can be heard escaping the door’s cracks. “Actually, can you ask her to come out instead? I don’t want to intrude on whatever it is you guys are doing.”

With an unsure but chirpy “sure”, Hitomi reverses back inside and for a short moment disappears around the corner. 

Less than a minute later, Minju comes to the door with a soft, “Hey,”. Her sweet voice eradicated any intentions Chaewon had of yelling at her. Instead, her serene mien convinces Chaewon that the other isn’t capable of pulling such a mean stunt. However, as she looks on, it also brings her back to the very moment she confessed and asked out one of the school’s most popular girls, Minju. Minju bore the same front then too, one Chaewon now sees as more deceptive than authentic. 

“…hi.”

“Feeling better?” 

Immediately Minju’s question brings her to her initial senses, “Why ask when you don’t care?”

Chaewon becomes genuinely confused when the smile vanishes from the other’s face.

“What do you mean? Why wouldn’t I care?” 

“Maybe because you sent that text?”

Minju flutters her eyelids then breaks into a bemused smile. Behind Minju and out of sight, they hear the crowd calling for her, reminding her that they were still in the middle of a game and it’s her turn. “I’m going to step outside for a moment,” Minju declares over her shoulder, “Play on!” Minju then draws her attention away from the group’s protest and sidesteps Chaewon so she can shut the door behind her, leaving only her and Chaewon outside. “What’s wrong with my text? Have I offended you wishing you a good night and better tomorrow?” 

Chaewon dismisses Minju’s act of ignorance and cuts to the chase, “I’m talking about the message from Suhyun’s phone.” 

Chaewon doesn’t know it but her sternness causes Minju’s confidence to falter. “Sounds like you’re mad at me.” 

“I am.” Minju is visibly speechless when Chaewon follows her answer with an irritable scoff. She then folds her arms across her chest and becomes eerily impatient as Minju doesn’t fess up immediately. “Suyun told me everything. You used Suhyun’s phone since I wouldn’t know his number.” 

Except for names, every word Chaewon utters sounds like a foreign language to Minju. “Wha-what are you talking about?” 

“If you want to break up so badly then fine, it’s over. Actually, who am I kidding? It never ever started; we’ve never been a real couple, we don’t look it, act it, and was never one. I’ve seen ex-couples who are closer than we are!” 

When Chaewon averts her eyes and body, the younger one scoffs uncontrollably. “The reason we don’t look and act like a couple is because of you!” Minju raises her voice, for the first time in a long time. 

With gaping eyes and the need to defend herself, Chaewon turns back to Minju, “Me?!” 

“Yes, you! Ever since I reciprocated your feelings you’ve made me out to be the bad guy.” Minju asserts in an accusatory tone, “You ignored me on campus, you blamed me for disclosing our relationship to our social circles, then you took the words of your friend over connecting the dots. Not in a million years would I have known you don’t have Suhyun’s number when you’re neighbors. In contrast to you and her family being tightly knit, I’m not on talking terms with Suyun, let alone her brother. And why would I tell everyone you’re my girlfriend if I had intentions of breaking up with you—?” 

“Then why did Suyun tell me it was you?”

Minju propels her shoulders in a perplexed manner. “Who knows.”

When Chaewon opens to counter, the front door swings wide open and catches their attention. 

With a hard frown, Yujin glances from Minju to Chaewon and back. “Hey Minju, it’s your turn. I already moved twice for you.” She says then inspect Chaewon. “And what are you doing here?” Yujin’s voice is low and slightly dangerous. 

“We’re in the middle of a discussion—” Minju tries to explain before she’s cut off. 

“You mean an argument. We can hear you two howling and hollering but more importantly, I heard a name I loathe more than anything in this world—Suyun.” 

The urge to stand up for her friend hits Chaewon instantly and she wastes no time to jump into action, “Yeah? Well, we can care less about what you ‘loathe’.” 

Yujin drops her weight against the threshold, pockets her hands then flatten her eyes. “You’re one to talk. I’m amazed Minju still sees you as date-worthy.” 

“Yujin,” Minju mutters to hint that her remark doesn't deescalate the situation. 

Chaewon’s eyes flicker as the tallest one’s insults ignite her competitive side. “And I’m dumbfounded Minju keeps someone as pathetic as you around. Always counting on her eminence and status to keep you afloat like Suyun always says.” 

As Yujin reaches for Chaewon’s top, Minju belts her hands away. Then she steps in between them. While looking into Chaewon’s fighting eyes, Minju utters, “That’s enough. If you’ve come to dump me then I heard you loud and clear. I’ll also admit to whatever you’ve accused me of if you leave now.” 

In a matter of seconds, Minju’s gang rallies up behind her and Yujin, wondering what is going on. 

Chaewon picks up her pride, grits her teeth, folds her fingers into tight fists, and states, “I was just leaving.” 

However, before Chaewon can leave, Yena’s taunt stops her dead in her tracks. 

“No wonder you three get along.” 

With half of her body turned to face the group, she crabbily asks, “What’s that supposed to mean?” 

Despite Minju’s physical effort to stop Yena, the girl with a husky voice pushes past her, “I guess your best friends didn’t tell you. Then again, you can’t call yourself their best friend either.” 

“What are you rambling on about?” 

“The saintlike girl with a hidden dark lust Na Goeun, the psycho viper Kim Suyun, and the too secretive confident Kim Chaewon.” Yena’s mischievous voice and manner annoy Chaewon, but what bothers her more is that the other doesn’t give her a chance to respond. “Did you know your little friend Goeun has feelings for Minju? She even confessed a few days ago just to be let down. And your tall friend, Suyun, well,” Yena pauses to build up suspense. “Let’s just say after she couldn’t handle being proven wrong, she tried to turn friends who’ve helped her against each other. Wouldn’t be surprised if her lies brought you here.” 

No one can see or hear it but Chaewon’s heart is racing. She can’t accept or listen to any more of Yena’s nonsense to butcher her friends’ credibilities, “You’re lying.” 

“That’s enough, Yena,” Minju says only to be disagreed with. 

“No, it’s not. Your girlfriend needs to know what her friends have done.” Yena then averts her focus back to Chaewon, “Look, I’m a big talker and gossiper so other people at school used to hate and pick on me. But when Minju and Yujin accepted me into their circle of friends, I received nothing short of trust, support, and love. I don’t know the reason why you’re here, but I know Minju didn’t sleep a wink trying to figure out who’s behind that message.”

Chaewon and Minju exchange eye contact for a short moment then Minju looks down as if disappointed with herself. 

“You should know better than anyone how wealthy and fortunate Suyun’s family is. They keep many housekeepers and have a high turnover rate. Yujin’s mom and Suyun’s mother go a long way back until an expensive necklace disappears from their house. Not only did Suyun blame and had Yujin’s mom fired, but she also had to torture her too. So in a similar situation to yours, Suyun used her mother’s phone to punish Yujin’s mom. When Yujin found out what Suyun had done, she confronted her. But what did Suyun do? She shifted the blame onto someone else, her own mother.

Of course, as mother and daughter, her mother defended Suyun and shielded her evil nature from everyone. So instead of repenting, Suyun tried to turn Minju against Yujin. When she couldn’t get Minju to believe her absurd and fictitious stories, she changed target. You and Na Goeun.”

Chaewon scoffs, her voice slow and unconvinced, “You expect me to believe that?” 

This time Yujin chimes in, “I do. Once you’ve seen the messages on my mom’s old phone you won’t be able to deny the truth. You should also ask Suhyun about the night you received that text because I’m sure he’ll tell you the truth as he’s not one to cover his sister’s crimes.”

“She means he’s the one who told her Suyun used their mother’s phone to bully her mom.” Yena clarifies. 

“I’m sorry, Chaewon,” Minju says, in a low voice. 

———

- Bit of a trigger warning below due to strong languages being indicated. I suggest skipping the ‘text bubble pic’ if you find an indication of strong language uncomfortable -

With the old, flip phone in her hand, Chaewon clicks through the messages and instantly recognizes the cell number. It’s indeed Suyun’s mother’s current number. 

As she reads some of the texts, she couldn’t believe how mean Suyun was to Yujin’s mother. 

vQ5HK6lGXRIpl_pwzM1TMk7uSjHug5XbZBJQV3YsnpoDrkgcPTHE2upMEt81B1Gs6D0zHOqohsaducDpHTxp_gjwu6SL3b_a3pFSha5sPFy7qTEKqUef5Ox-N82uv3qcuE8Mn2jm

“And you’re sure Suyun sent these?” Chaewon asks, looking across the room for an answer. 

Inside the four walls with dull and peeling tan wallpapers, Chaewon and Yujin are the ones only present as everyone waits outside and close by. 

Yujin nods, then in the softest voice Chaewon has ever heard from her, says, “I am. When my mother worked for them, she told me Madam Kim isn’t fond of texting or being on her phone unless it was to make calls. She said texting was too time-consuming. She’s also a very ambitious woman, she likes things done fast and efficiently. Suhyun saw Suyun using Madam’s phone, too, around the time my mother thought she was talking to Madam Kim. I remember Suyun being nosey about my new school uniform and shoes too. Minju had bought them for me, to congratulate me for placing second on our math test but Suyun thought my mother pawned off the necklace.” 

“...so...was there really a necklace that disappeared?” 

The taller girl retrieves the phone from Chaewon’s hand and proceeds to hide it in her closet as she answers, “The story about the necklace is true, but my mom never stole it.” 

“Then...I don’t get it...Why would Suyun blame your mom?” 

“Because of my uniform and shoes, remember?” 

Chaewon makes a small ‘ah’ to minimize her embarrassment, “So everything happened over a misun—”

Straightaway Yujin prevents Chaewon from trying to make light of the past. “It wasn’t because of a misunderstanding but because she crossed the line when she intimidated and threatened my mom.” 

Silence fills the room until Chaewon concurs, “That feeling is mutual. I wouldn’t let anyone who talks that way to my mother get away, too.” 

“Too?” Yujin asks carefully, “So you agree what Suyun did was wrong.” Chaewon hums and it gives Yujin an idea for different questions, “Then, you’re going to forgive her? After what she’s done to you and Minju?” 

Chaewon looks towards the ground as if the answer she’s searching for is on Yujin’s white crew socks. “I...It’s not...my place to forgive her.” A ‘huh?’ from Yujin causes Chaewon to tilt her head up, and confidently and calmly explain, “Yeah. Suyun owes you and Minju an apology—big time—but I...I think I gave her the wrong impression when I told her Minju and I may be over... Yena’s right. I kept Suyun and Goeun in the dark when I considered them my best friends… My reluctance to open up is the reason why I can’t—why my relationship with Minju—can’t be taken seriously. And why it plummeted. As for Goeun, I know no one can control their feelings. Minju is a great person, I’d be surprised if not more people like her. Goeun is my friend, she confessed to Minju without knowing I’m already dating her. I can’t blame Goeun for that.” 

Chaewon presses her lips together and with an insightful nod smiles at Yujin, “Thank you, Ahn Yujin. You and Yena really opened my eyes.” 

———

Yena uses the bench Minju occupies as a step to sit on the bench’s table. With her legs slightly spread apart and her forearms on her thighs, the girl loops her fingers together and heaves a sharp sigh. “Minju, can I suggest something to you?” 

“Like you haven’t said enough.” Wonyoung teases her from beside Minju and farther from Yena. The one being tease grimaces at the other’s comment then urges Minju for approval. “Promise I’ll make it quick.” 

Coolly Minju waves her off with a hand but Yena takes it as a go-ahead. 

“Okay, here goes nothing.” Yena inhales heavily, “Break it off with Chaewon.” She ignores Wonyoung's what-did-you-just-say glare and passionately proceeds, “Does that poor kid even know you’re moving to the states the second your high school diploma is in your hand?” 

Minju crosses her arms then lets out an exasperated sigh, “No but I have at least nine months to tell her.” 

“Uh, correction, less than five months since the school offered you online courses next semester.”

“True but I’m strongly considering turning it down Monday,” The second Minju reveals that piece of information, Yena’s jaw drop. 

Quickly, Yena jumps down to sit beside them and manhandle Minju into a tight hug. “Aw! That means we get another semester with you!” 

Winded, Minju tries to break Yena’s embrace but to no effect. The latter is abnormally stronger than her. “I said ‘considering’ not ‘I am turning it down!” 

Yena and Wonyoung stifle Minju’s remark and quickly Wonyoung cries, “Group hug!” she throws her hands into the air and gets in on the action too. 

———

Near Yujin’s house is a quiet public playground with four swings and a sandbox. Yujin recommends Minju and Chaewon share some alone time there while she introduces the rest of their friends to an arcade a few blocks away. 

Since Minju is the first one to reach the swings, she holds one in place for Chaewon, “Here, sit here.” 

Chaewon’s heart skips a beat as she sits and thanks Minju who treads over to the empty yellow swing alongside her. 

For a moment they say nothing and solely enjoy the cloudy, bright sky and the warm breeze that brushes their fair skin. When Chaewon can’t endure the awkward silence anymore, she wants to address the elephant in the room. But Minju breaks the ice first. 

“No matter what happens, I hope we’ll be like these swings forever.” When Chaewon turns her head in Minju’s direction, to ask what she meant by it, the other knows they’re not yet on the same page. “Whether we go forward or backward, we’ll always come back to our spot that is side by side. As equals and partners.” 

Chaewon smiles, please by Minju’s analogy. The other sees that Chaewon is quieter than usual so she presses on. 

“I hope you’re not blaming yourself and wishing you were perfect because to me you already are. I really like you the way you are, Chaewon, and if you ever happen to change I know it’ll only be for the better.” 

Chaewon can feel Minju’s kind words break her heart as guilt and sorrow overwhelms her. She’s extremely sorry for all her wrongdoing towards Minju and crushed as she doesn’t know where to start apologizing. “Minju, I—” Chaewon chokes up and shields her eyes from Minju. “I-I’m sorry.” 

As her tears slide down her cheek and onto her lap, she feels the cool liquid soak through her jeans and onto her skin. 

From underneath her palms, Chaewon makes out Minju on one knee before her. Then she feels the pressure of Minju’s hands on her shoulder and knee. Minju says nothing and lets Chaewon cry to her heart’s content. 

Once Chaewon settles down, Minju hands her tissue paper that she had gone to grab from Yujin’s house. Chaewon thanks Minju in between sniffles then clears . “Ahem, ah-ah...sor-I’m sorry again.” As Chaewon’s eyes well up again with tears, Minju patiently waits for her to calm down again as she finds trying to comfort Chaewon only prolongs her need to cry. 

After forty-five minutes of Chaewon trying to control her sadness, except for a sniffle here and there, Minju casually crumbles up the handful of wet tissues in her hands and continues. 

“As I was trying to say earlier, during Winter break I’ll be moving to Pennsylvania. I’ll be starting classes—” Instantly, Chaewon begins to weep and this time kicks her feet as a means to protest. Minju smiles a little, amused by her childish act. Then the thought of what she has to do next wipes the beam right off her face. “I won’t agree to a long-distance relationship that may last up to a decade so...do you still want to date me for another few months or would you rather call it off now?” 

Chaewon freezes, realizing the reality she can be facing in the next decade or so. “Call it off as in break...up…?” 

Minju hums, “Yeah. It’s not goodbye but if we’re both single a decade later, we can start seeing each other again.” 

A dispirited sigh escapes Chaewon before she catches herself openly disappointed, “That’s the coldest thing you’ve ever said to me.” 

The other looks forward, seeing that her group of friends are back but still a distance away. 

“I asked my mentor and he said the university has a clinic that offers cochlear implants. I notice your sister is hard of hearing but if your family will like it, we can have her treated there and she may qualify for an implant. It’ll help her hear and—”

“My family doesn’t have that kind of money.” 

“I’ll cover the cost.” 

“No. I can’t let a stranger do that.” 

“Chaewon—”

“You said cochlear implants right? I’ll ask Madam Kim to look into a local hospital and see if they offer that kind of surgery.” 

“Hey, Minju!” Yena hollers as the group grows bigger and closer. “We’re back!” 

“Chaewon, I didn’t mean to—”

“I know you only wanted to help and I appreciate that.” Chaewon bites back the tears with a kind smile, “Good luck in Pennsylvania. I know you’ll do great. You’re smart and amazing…I’m sorry we will never be like these swings but I’ll do my part as a good person and make sure Suyun apologizes for all that she’s done wrong. Thank you for being my girlfriend, Minju, although it’s been less than two weeks I’ve learned a lot and I hope you have too.” 

Once Minju’s friends are in hearing distance, Chaewon softly excuses herself and walks away from Minju, her friends, and the playground. 

Quietly Minju hangs her head, to hide her own tears from everyone. 



A/N: Ugh, a bittersweet, unfulfilling, and open ending I know and I’m sorrieeeee but I firmly believe it needed to end here. Anymore and it'll just drag... Once again I thank everyone who’s subscribed, upvoted, read, and commented on this story. I'll like to give a shout out to Ahnpuppy, AhnWony, cleofierayne, Fierywaltz, Godpotato, GonzJ9, jssamu, Lichterson, minguri_iz_coming, newsone112, Qamelia, reigngrey, RoyalLock, seofanyluv, Ssamyen, and yoonaeiric for keeping me on my toes and letting me know that you’re all still out there and making the world a better place!

Lastly and again, a special shout out to Muzukashii_Ai. Whether you loved or hated this story you can thank her for making the story a chapter longer xD Jk jk

Now onto my next and future endeavor! I won’t include a link here but I have a sequel that is a work in progress. No, it’s not a sequel for this fanfic, and yes, if you’ve read “Smear” you can expect a sequel… I’ll just leave it at that for now. If you’re interested, watch out for an update (again) from “Smear”, if you’re not I still hope to see you around the site :) Ta-ta for now~