Minju Pt.1

Rock Chaewon's Boat

A/N: Thank you Muzukashii_Ai for suggesting I write something from Minju’s perspective~ Due to that I bring you all this chapter~

Sorry for the wait! I’ve been away for a bit and updated the “Author’s Thoughts” box but it doesn’t send out notifications so x.x As I’m finishing this chapter, my family is getting ready to celebrate my uncle’s birthday so I won’t be able to proofread until later. That being said, I hope everyone enjoys this chapter, and soon, very soon, we’ll learn more about Yeonhee and whoever sent that message~ 



- Thursday -

Once the lunch bell rang, their reading teacher collected his teaching materials and exclaimed, “Don’t forget chapters 12, 13, 14, and today’s handout are due tomorrow. See you all later and enjoy your lunch.” 

Quickly, students put away their notebooks and writing utensils before hurrying out the door to beat the front of the growing lunch lines. 

Calmly, Minju shoulders her solid black backpack and makes her way to Yujin’s desk. In the back of the room, Yujin was throwing paper balls the size of bugs at Yunseong, the class’s vice president who had the misfortune of sitting next to her. As the lad looks over with an annoyed pout, it makes Minju and Yujin laugh in unison before Minju drops down in Yujin’s seat and forces the taller to scoot a smidge. 

Ahead of them, class president Wonyoung whirls around in her seat to face them while Yena, Yuri, Hitomi, Yunkyoung, and Sohee leave the front of the room to join them. Almost a few seconds later, everyone had Minju and Yujin surrounded; Sakura, Chaeyeon, and Juri join them from a different homeroom. Standing closer to Yunseong’s desk are Changuk, Dongyun, and Junho. 

“What did you tear up this time?” Minju asks. 

“Something I doodled during math class,” Yujin answers as she throws another ball, ripped from the paper used for doodling, at the tallest boy Changuk who caught it with his mouth. Right as the paper ball leaves Yujin’s fingers, Minju feels someone tugging her sleeve. 

“If you’re not too busy after school, can you help me with today’s reading again?” Hitomi whispers but loud enough for Minju to hear. Hitomi is a hardworking student but as a Japanese girl who's recently just moved to Seoul with the heart of becoming a great webtoon writer, reading Korean wasn’t yet her forte. 

In her mind, Minju is thinking of meeting up with Chaewon, her latest girlfriend, but the girl has been acting strange. Much as Minju hated conflict and would rather resolve whatever is going on between them, she eventually gives in to Hitomi’s spongy cheeks. “Sure but I didn’t bring my bike today so—”

“You can drive mine and I’ll ride in the back,” Hitomi says happily as if she’s been wishing for this opportunity. 

Minju bobs her head, “Okay. That’s not a bad idea.” 

———

Minju and her friends were sprawled out on the bleachers but everyone was close enough to surround and hear her. Despite the obvious space between them, it didn’t stop anyone from leaning in to eavesdrop on what the student Na Goeun had to say to Minju. 

Everyone watches as Goeun shyly gives Minju a paper. 

“What’s this?” Yujin asks as the one sitting closest to Minju. “Love letter?” 

While Goeun struggles to hide a smile, Minju could only stare at the pink paper in her hand and wonder if Goeun is the reason for Chaewon acting indifferent. 

As Yujin reaches for the paper, Minju stops her with a hand. “Sorry Goeun, but I can’t accept it.” 

Slowly, Goeun retreats her hand and covers the letter with her other hand. “Wh-why? Is it because of the school’s dating policy?” 

Yujin clicks her tongue, “Girls like you always mistake Minju’s kindness as an attraction. Is it because the school banned dating? Yea—”

“Even if it wasn’t I can’t do that to you as I’m already seeing someone else.” 

Minju’s words came as a shock to her whole gang and no one said a word for a while even after Goeun had left them alone. 

Then from behind them, Yena utters, “Who?” 

Throughout the rest of the day and night, all her friends pester her about it. They spammed her with missed calls and text messages; playing a game of guess-who-she’s-dating but Minju paid them no attention. Even the adorable Hitomi couldn’t get Minju to cave later that night. 

Little did they know the wait would be short-lived because the very next morning, Minju revealed who she’s seeing. 

Kim Chaewon. 

- Friday - 

Shortly after revealing that Chaewon is her girlfriend, Minju expected more than Chaewon spinning around on her heel and leaving the soccer field. As Chaewon goes to pick up her bag from the pile of backpacks, Goeun and Suyun quickly run after her. Meanwhile behind Minju is nothing but stillness and utter silence. 

Once again, she’s made the outspoken Yujin and Yena speechless along with the rest of her friends. 

In the nurse’s office, Yujin rolls her eyes about a hundred times while sitting on the bed with a bandaid on her leg where the soccer ball had left a mark. 

“Why does it have to be Kim Suyun’s friend?” 

Minju chuckles a little, “If it had to be Kim Suyun’s friend, I would have reciprocated Na Goeun’s feelings.” 

Yujin scoffs, “Does it matter? Kim Chaewon or Na Goeun, they’re both Kim Suyun’s friends.” 

Minju sighs then looks down at the SpongeBob bandaid. “Does it hurt? What my girlfriend did to you.” 

The word girlfriend gains a dirty look from Yujin and Minju isn’t sure if Yujin hated the word or the fact that it’s Chaewon. 

“You think this is funny?” Yujin accuses then catches a mild smirk on Minju’s face. 

“No?” 

Minju’s small lie causes Yujin to growl, fall sideways onto the bed, kicks her legs, and throws a mini-tantrum all in a matter of seconds. “Ugh! I hate you Minju!” 

The onlooker bursts out laughing as she tries to calm down her friend. With all the noises, they notice the nurse running in to check on them. When their gazes meet and they see the nurse judging them, Yujin immediately curls up in humiliation and Minju apologizes for the ruckus. The nurse then suggests Minju returns to class so Yujin can get some rest. 

As Minju goes through the motions, sitting through her classes, deep within her mind she couldn’t erase what she now realizes is the look of disappointment on Chaewon’s face. Although they’ve never discussed if they should hide their relationship or when they should tell their friends, Minju can only speculate why Chaewon may be upset. 

During passing periods, Minju would check the messages between her and Chaewon. The last time they exchanged texts was Sunday. Chaewon had said: 

See you tomorrow <3 

and Minju replied: 

See you tomorrow :)

Minju then wonders if something had gone wrong on Monday as the messages stopped coming. But no matter how hard she squeezes her mind, she can’t come up with anything. And for all the credit she gets for her higher intelligence and hard work, it bothers her that she can't figure this one out. 

Beside her, she feels a short but strong gust of wind hit her. Looking up, she saw that Wonyoung was trying to get her attention by fanning her with a stack of paper. 

“Are you sick? You haven’t left your seat ever since you came back from the nurse’s office.” Wonyoung points out then squats down beside Minju’s desk. “Are you worried about Yujin? She’ll be fine. You said it yourself, right? You said the nurse said once Yujin gets her beauty sleep she’ll be as good as new.” 

Minju reaches over to pat the sweet Wonyoung on the head, putting a big smile on the taller’s pretty face. “Our Yujin is built to endure and withstand anything so she’ll be fine. It’s someone else I’m worried about.” 

Minju hears Wonyoung hum for a split second before asking, “Are you worried about Chaewon and Goeun?” 

“Goeun?” 

Wonyoung nods slowly, “Remember Goeun confessed her feelings to you yesterday, and yesterday you said you’re seeing someone else. Since that someone turns out to be Chaewon who’s friends with Goeun Yena says it’s possible Chaewon hid your guys’ relationship from her friends too. Otherwise, why would Goeun confess if she knew?” 

Minju understands Wonyoung’s point almost immediately. Yena has a habit of trusting her guts when it comes to first impressions. She’ll doubt anyone and everyone’s sincerity unless they prove her wrong. Yena has always been vocal when it comes to people giving her bad or good vibes. 

“Na Goeun looks like the untrustworthy type,” Yena tells Yuri, Hitomi, Sohee, Yunkyoung, Yunseong, and Changuk near the front of the room. “I was afraid for Minju when she confessed to her like that in front of us. It’s similar to those videos. You know? Like, have you guys seen videos of people proposing to their partners in public? If the partner says no in front of everyone, guess who’s the bad person? The partner. What happened yesterday is like those videos…” 

Soon, Minju tunes Yena out and looks into the soft, brown eyes of Wonyoung. 

“Do me a favor, Wonyoung.” 

“Anything.” 

“While I ask Chaewon to have lunch with us, I want you to focus on Goeun.” 

“Sure.” Wonyoung answers with confidence. 

———

As Minju and her friends leave the cafeteria, Wonyoung quickly catches up to Minju in the front. 

“So?” Minju asks and waits as Wonyoung tries to catch her breath. 

“Poker face.” Wonyoung answers first then proceed to explain, “Whatever she’s feeling inside she didn’t show. I doubt Chaewon knows she has any feelings for you.” 

As Minju keeps the group walking towards the bleachers, she adds, “But were there signs of relief or satisfaction towards the end?” 

“No. When you spoke of sympathy, I got nothing from her. However, I do doubt she heard anything you said.” 

Minju raises a brow, “What do you mean?” 

“I mean fantasizing. The whole time we were there, her eyes didn’t wander to whoever was talking but only stayed on you.” 

Minju doesn’t know what to make of what Wonyoung observed but she knows it’s lunchtime and they’re starving. 

———

- Saturday -

On Saturdays, Minju prefers the public library to her home when it comes to studying in peace. Although she’s usually accompanied by her friends, they rarely distract her and simply work or read in proximity to her. While Sakura and Sohee are catching up on their mangas, Yena and Yuri are putting together slides for science class, and the cinephile Wonyoung is checking out DVDs in the movie and music section. Next to Sakura and Sohee’s table, Minju had her nose in her textbooks and assignments. 

Around 3:12 pm she recognizes a figure from the corner of her eye. 

To her pleasant surprise, it’s Chaewon. 

After Chaewon’s fit of Q&A, she was able to calm down and join Minju on one of the benches outside the library. Minju has her legs crossed as she sits facing Chaewon who was awkwardly playing with her fingers. 

“Again...you thought I wanted to keep our relationship a secret and avoid you because I didn’t acknowledge you in the restroom on Monday...?” Chaewon asks. 

Minju nods, straightening her back. “Sounds minor when you put it like that but it’s true. I didn’t know where you stood, I wasn’t sure if I could introduce you as my girlfriend or just as a friend.” 

The thinner girl waves her hand slightly in protest. “No, I didn’t say hi because I didn’t think it was appropriate...I mean you’re appropriate but I-I mean the setting…The location wasn’t appropriate…” Chaewon curses herself for stuttering but she can’t help it as the situation is unexpected. “You see...your friends are always in and outside of the restroom with you. I don’t want to be remembered as the girlfriend from the restroom...and-and Girlfriend is fine...I just thought one day we could tell everyone together…” 

Minju sighs, “Sorry, I was reckless and impatient. I didn’t consider how you’ll feel. I thought it wouldn’t matter if one of us said it first. From now on, I’ll ask you first before I make similar decisions.” 

“It’s okay.” Chaewon comforts her with a small smile. “I’m sorry, too, for being distant and expecting you to be cordial first. I hope we can improve our communication as well.” 

“Me too,” Minju says as she reaches for Chaewon’s hand, but before she can grab it the other moves it away swiftly. 

“By the way, did you lose my number?” 

“Huh?” 

“My phone number,” Chaewon explains, “you never text me unless I text you.” 

Knowing she’s in the wrong, Minju pulls her hand away and looks Chaewon straight in the eyes. “Sorry. I’m bad at initiating conversations—”

“Liar.” Minju sees a small frown forming on Chaewon’s face as the girl faces forward and away from her. 

“Fine, I’ll text you first. What should I say?” Minju asks, wanting to tease Chaewon. The other let out a sigh of disbelief before springing up from the bench. 

“Say whatever you feel like saying. I’m leaving, I have a date soon—”

Before Chaewon can leave, Minju grabs her by the wrist and holds her in place. “A date? I wasn’t aware of our date tonight.”

“We don’t—I have a date with someone else. Someone amazing, lovable, and perfe—”

“And who is that?” Minju asks, in a sterner voice this time. Chaewon finds her turning slightly red cute but before Minju explodes, Chaewon leans forward and taps her on the nose. 

With a playful voice, Chaewon says, “That is Kim Yeonhee. My amazing, lovable, and perfect sister. Before we dated, I told you that she and I go to the movies every other Saturday.” 

Upon hearing that, Minju releases Chaewon’s wrist and hums. “Ah, I remember now. Alright, have fun. Text me—” she immediately stops when she sees Chaewon giving her a side-eye. “Nevermind. I’ll text you after you're done with the movie. Say 10 pm-ish?” 

“Better,” Chaewon says then as she takes a step to leave, she takes the same step back. “Actually, I wanted to see you because I had to check with you about something.” 

“What is it?” 

Chaewon freezes for a second. Contemplating if she should explain the details of what happened or just show it to Minju. After a few seconds, Chaewon reaches into her pocket and asks, “Do you possibly know whose number is this?” 

After a moment of silence, Minju looks up from the phone and shakes her head. “I don’t recognize the phone number, why?” 

“Hmm...well…” Chaewon turned the device back to her and clicked around. Shortly after she shows the screen to Minju again. 

“It’s over?” 

“I received the message last night. I thought it could be you trying to break up with me or...or maybe it’s someone you know…” 

Minju makes a small ling sound with her lower lip before suggesting, “No, I don’t recognize the telephone line but send me a screenshot and I’ll look into it.”