Answer

Rock Chaewon's Boat

Like Suyun’s height, her spacious and pleasant backyard is enclosed with tall fences. In the yard is a porch that overlooks a built-in pool, a small but colorful garden, and a hammock hanging between two green trees. While waiting for Suyun, Chaewon spaces out lying in the hammock. It feels like she’s been staring at the cloudless blue sky for a while until she hears Suyun calling her name. 

Sitting up, Chaewon greets the energetic gal with a bitter smile and short, small waves. The life in Suyun vanishes the second they lock gazes. “Something wrong?” Suyun asks, clapping her hands in front of her. 

Chaewon shakes her head, “I think so...I’m not sure…”

Quickly, Suyun flops down next to Chaewon, causing the swing to stir a little due to their weight. 

“What is it? Is your mom okay?” 

Chaewon doesn’t answer right away. Instead, she looks into Suyun’s big, lively eyes and raises her shoulders. She wishes she had an answer for Suyun as she’s stayed up all night contemplating the text message. She can’t seem to figure out who and why they sent it. Was it someone who likes Minju? Was it someone who did it to hurt her or Minju? Was it Minju herself?

“My mom and sister are fine,” Chaewon says to alleviate Suyun’s growing concerns. “It’s just...It’s about…”

Suyun sighs, “Complete sentences please,” 

“I don’t know where to begin.” Chaewon’s voice cracks as she recalls the vivid text. She realizes the message behind it hadn’t fully sunk in until now and her stoic approach is being peeled as she sits beside Suyun. “Um....sorry.” Chaewon bites back the tears, but it was no use. When Suyun leans forward to get a better look at her, Chaewon hurriedly wipes her face with her hands. “Sorry.” She apologizes once more before looking away. 

“What’s wrong, Chaewon? Did that Minju do or say something to hurt you?” 

Chaewon shakes her head. For a moment, neither of them say anything. Chaewon isn’t one easily moved to tears and Suyun has never really had to comfort Chaewon before. Consoling anyone is the warmhearted Goeun’s forte. 

“Chaewon, talk to me please.” Suyun tries to be as tender as she can. As if she’s talking to a baby, not wanting to make her cry some more. 

For a bit longer, Chaewon composes herself then discloses what has been on her mind for the past 14 hours. “It’s over...I got a text last night saying it was over…” 

“Are you serious? She had the nerve to break up with you over text!?” 

Chaewon shakes her head once more. “It wasn’t her.” 

The taller girl places a hand on Chaewon’s shoulder and heaves a deep breath. “Don’t cry. I’ll find and put her in her place soon. She has no right to treat you like this—” 

“No Suyun, it wasn’t her,” Chaewon repeats herself, louder this time. 

Suyun rocks her head side to side a little, “It’s okay. You don’t have to defend—” 

With a groan, Chaewon shoots up from the hammock and turns to face Suyun, “No Suyun, I’m telling you it wasn’t her! The text came from an unknown number. If she was going to break up with me, why would she do it under an unknown number? It doesn’t make sense. I know it’s not her.” 

While Chaewon tries to make sense of it aloud Suyun, too, stands up. “Who else could it be if it’s not her? Ahn Yujin?” 

Chaewon’s eyes wander briefly. It’s possible, the text could be Yujin’s idea of revenge. Chaewon couldn’t help but remember what Minju said in the cafeteria. “That’s possible. Do you think Minju knew Yujin would do something like this? Maybe that’s why she told me to visit Yujin in the nurse’s office, to apologize for kicking—”

“You didn’t kick her. That Yujin lied.” Suyun says roughly. Chaewon hums, glad that Suyun has her back. 

“I know. I was going to say kick the ball that hit her.” 

Suyun folds her arms across her chest. “I wouldn’t put it past her. She's the reason why Minju forsook me.” 

Chaewon remains silent, hoping Suyun would tell her what happened between them on her own. But when Suyun notices the quiet atmosphere, she simply turns to Chaewon and arches a brow. “So? What are you going to do now?” 

That’s the million-dollar question Chaewon tells herself. Is she supposed to confront Yujin or confide in Minju? What if Minju is the perpetrator? Before Chaewon can think of a proper response, Suyun intercepts her thought process. 

“I know where Yujin hangs out on Saturdays.” 

The information takes Chaewon aback. “Wouldn’t Minju be with her?” 

Suyun sighs and rolls her eyes a little, “You’re her girlfriend and you don’t know what she does on the weekends?” 

The question makes Chaewon look like a fool but it’s a challenge she doesn’t have an answer to. The past week and a half have been a blur. Chaewon saw more of Minju when they weren’t an item and that’s what she doesn’t understand. Although their homerooms remain the farthest apart, Chaewon stopped running into Minju in the halls altogether. It’s like the other just disappeared without a trace even though her group of friends is always hard to miss. 

With the new school year, Chaewon is aware of the possibility that Minju’s group of friends may be growing. And perhaps they’ve found a larger space instead of the halls to occupy during passing periods. Or they’ve relocated their headquarters to the same bleachers Minju had extended an invitation to Chaewon. Whatever it was, Chaewon knows Minju is avoiding her on-site.  

“So?” Suyun asks, yanking Chaewon back into reality. 

“What?” 

“Should we go find Ahn Yujin?” 

“Oh...um...sure?” 

Suyun claps her hands with satisfaction. “Alright, let’s go rain on her parade.” As Suyun marches toward the gate that leads to the front, Chaewon watches her in astonishment. 

“Wa-wait. Rain on her parade?” 

“Keep up,” Suyun says as she opens the gate then looks over her shoulder. “You wouldn’t want to keep that hot-headed waiting would you?” 

Chaewon bites the inside of her cheek. She hates confrontation let alone confronting one of the most temperamental students at Seoul High School. However, she knows it’s the right thing to do. If she wants to know the truth and salvage her relationship with Minju, she needs to come face to face with Ahn Yujin and show that she’s worthy of Kim Minju. 

———

The confidence Chaewon had in Suyun’s backyard is nonexistent when they’re standing in front of Yujin, with nothing but a register in between them. 

“What’s this? Come to apologize?” Yujin asks in a passive-aggressive manner. 

“In your dreams.” Suyun snaps back before pulling Chaewon forward at the sleeve. “Say what you needed to say to this lying psychopath,” Suyun says, warranting Yujin rolling her eyes. 

“Says the psychopath.” The girl in Starbucks uniform counters. 

Chaewon hears Suyun scoff in disbelief then holds back whatever she wanted to say for Chaewon’s sake. 

“Uh...Yujin—”

“If you two aren't going to order anything, I suggest you leave.” 

Yujin’s spiteful remark sends shivers down Chaewon’s spine. It’s true that the location isn’t the perfect place to dish out their indifference, but this is an urgent matter. Yujin raising her voice doesn’t help as customers have started staring at them. 

“Please, I just have a question for you.” 

Silence from Yujin. 

“Why did you send me that text last night?” 

Yujin glances over to Suyun for a split second before looking Chaewon hard in the eyes. “Do you want to die? Why are you wasting my time with your nonsense?” 

“Hey—” before Suyun steps in, Yujin leans inward. 

“Just because you’re dating Minju it doesn’t mean you can do whatever the hell you please. I suggest you make yourself useful and scram before I put you on our blacklist.” 

Without a second warning, Chaewon quickly leaves. As she takes big gulps of the fresh air outside, she can feel her heart beating hard against her ribs. When she turns around, she sees Suyun stomping out the front. The girl lets out an irritated roar before shouting, “What the heck Chaewon? Why didn’t you force the answer out of her before fleeing like that!?” 

Chaewon raises her hands as a sign of surrender. “You heard her. She still refers to me as Minju’s girlfriend. She has no idea what message I was talking about.” 

Upon hearing her reasoning, Suyun calms down and places her hands around her waist. 

“What now? If it’s not Minju and Yujin, who else would want to hurt you?” 

If only Chaewon knows, she’d be saved from the embarrassment she just faced inside. “I need to talk to Minju. She might know.” 

“And I need to go home. Goodbye.” Suyun spits in anger then speed-walks away from there. Chaewon doesn’t stop her. She knows Suyun isn’t a big fan of Minju and it’s better if Chaewon gets some alone time with her girlfriend or so-called girlfriend. 

———

As Suyun said, Chaewon finds Minju in the public library. But she’s not alone as Sakura and Sohee are reading mangas at a table, Yena and Yuri are working on the computers, and Wonyoung is browsing through the DVDs section for who knows what. Meanwhile, Minju had her homework assignments, textbooks, and notes spread out at a table beside Sakura and Sohee’s. 

Timidly and in order not to disturb anyone, Chaewon made her way towards Minju as quietly as she humanly could. But it doesn’t take long for Minju to notice her friends are fixated on Chaewon as they stopped flipping pages and smacking away at the keys on the keyboard. 

When Minju glances up and notices Chaewon, she slowly sits back in her chair and waits for Chaewon to reach her. 

“Sorry...are you busy?” 

Once Minju peeks down at her obvious workload, Chaewon knows what the answer is. 

“I mean...can we talk for a second? Outside?” 

Minju diverts her attention to Wonyoung and nods. Chaewon assumes Minju is telling them to stay put and that everything is fine. 

“Let’s go,” Minju says to Chaewon as she sets her blue pen down on top of her book and gets up. 

———

Outside, Chaewon and Minju had their backs to the building as they stand far enough to fit two people between them. 

“What did you want to talk about?” Minju asks in a cool voice. Chaewon can’t explain it but the other’s tone soothes her. She’s glad that Minju doesn’t sound cold or hot. She’s relaxed and level-headed and Chaewon prays she remains that way throughout the whole conversation. 

“I—” again Chaewon doesn’t know where to start. She’s worried that the wrong question would sour Minju’s mood and set her off. Personally, Chaewon has a few questions that Minju needs to answer today. 

As if Minju read her mind, what comes out of the girl’s mouth eases Chaewon even more. “Take your time.” 

With a deep breath, Chaewon decides to go for it. “Are we still an item or was it all in my head?” 

“We’re still an i—” 

“Why are you avoiding me at school?” 

“I’m not—” 

“Who said you could tell everyone we’re dating?” 

“No one—” 

“Do you know who sent me that text or was it you?” 

“What text—” 

“How can you sit here and say we’re an item but completely disregards me?” 

“I—” 

“It was Yujin, wasn’t it?” 

“Chae—” 

“I knew it. She lied to get me out of her workplace. That lying—” 

“Chaewon!” 

The one whose name is called freezes momentarily. While Chaewon’s mind jogs through a hundred more questions, the sight of Minju moving to stand in front of her diminishes any doubt she had. She holds her breath as Minju’s appearance is more than breathtaking. “One question for an answer at a time, deal?” 

Chaewon nods, though she had gone completely blank. So this is what it feels like to be the center of Kim Minju’s attention? Empowering, special, and blessed. 

“I’ve missed you,” Chaewon confesses, plastering a smile onto Minju’s face. 

“I’ve missed you too.” 

Minju steps forward to wrap her arms around Chaewon’s waist and presses her forehead against Chaewon’s. 

Minju closes her eyes peacefully and whispers, “I love you, Kim Chaewon.” 

Chaewon beams brightly. That's the only answer Chaewon needed. 

———

A/N: New day, new chapter! I may not be able to write for a day or two but I’ll be sure to come back with a good update soon :D Hope you all enjoyed this one as much as I had fun writing it! Ta-ta for now! Oh yeah, and we'll find out who sent that text soon >:D