Minju Pt.2

Rock Chaewon's Boat

Being sisters and twins at that, Chaewon and Yeonhee are never-ending subjects to comparison. In their neighborhood, Chaewon is known as the boyish and Yeonhee the pretty one. It never bothered Chaewon as it made sports easier and boys were less likely to hit on her for her looks, however, her younger counterpart hates it. There have been times where neighbors would come up to her and ask where Chaewon is using the ‘boy’ hand gesture. Yeonhee would correct them but no one other than Chaewon, their mother, and Suyun fully understands sign language. She wants everyone to think and speak of Chaewon with benignness simply because Chaewon deserves it. 

While waiting for Chaewon in their front yard, Yeonhee had fit her curvy and petite self into a sleeveless white dress with pink roses and a pink belt with matching white heel boots. For a while, she fidgets around and even dusts the doormat to kill time. Then she begins to wonder if Chaewon had forgotten tonight’s movie date. With her hands clutched behind her back, she sways her head left and right in hope of seeing Chaewon. As her long, wavy hair caresses her , she produces a woeful sigh. 

Just as she’s about to give up, she sees Chaewon jogging up the hill, stopping only to catch her breath before waving at Yeonhee. 

The quiet girl perks up and runs out of the yard to greet her other half. 

Once they are in each other’s space, they intertwine their fingers and Chaewon apologizes immediately. Yeonhee rejects her sister’s apology then squeezes Chaewon’s hand a little putting a hearty smile on the older’s face. 

“To the movies then?” Chaewon presents knowing Yeonhee can read her lips. The shorter nods then together, hand-in-hand, they walk down the route Chaewon used to meet up with Yeonhee. 

It’s second nature for them now to arrive early and purchase two tickets for a 6 and 8 o’clock movie. It’s important that the films have Korean subs. Before the movies start, they’ll make use of their time by playing arcade games and waiting in line for popcorn and soda. Inside one of the rooms, they sat near the center for a balanced view. 

It’s dark out when they exit the building. Since there are no stars tonight, the sky is darker than usual. Arm in arm, Chaewon, and Yeonhee hurry along to catch the 10:25 city bus. In the back of the public vehicle, Chaewon checks her phone for any missed calls or messages. Surprisingly Minju didn’t keep her word as there are no texts from the latter. However, Chaewon’s mom did message them in the group chat with Yeonhee saying that dinner is on the table and she’s heading off to bed early, again.

Yeonhee sits up from her leaning against Chaewon then gestures if Chaewon and Minju had met and made up. Chaewon recoils then signs, “How do you know about that?” 

Yeonhee smiles then raise her hand to indicate Suyun’s tallness. Right away, Chaewon presumes Suyun had spilled everything she knows to Yeonhee after abandoning Chaewon outside Yujin’s workplace. 

With a disappointed but expected sigh, Chaewon motions for Yeonhee not to worry and that Minju isn’t a bad person. In case Suyun had told Yeonhee that her girlfriend is indeed a horrible human. Chaewon is relieved when Yeonhee simply nods and chooses not to protest or ask her any more questions. 

———

On foot again and striding up the street to their home, there’s no sign of life anywhere and that scares Yeonhee deep down. Chaewon doesn’t mind when the younger one squeezes her arm tighter than usual and although Yeonhee can’t hear her, Chaewon comforts them from the eerie silence, made by the cold night, by humming “Pepper” by Yoo Jina. 

Luckily from afar, they notice their mom left the outside light on for them. Since Yeonhee lacks all five senses, she feels safer in places with ample or sufficient lighting. However, even in bright places, there can be darkness. 

Near the front of their house, they make out a figure. The individual seems harmless but at this hour of the night who knows what they’re capable of. Upon seeing the person, Yeonhee stops dead in her tracks and pulls Chaewon slightly backward. 

Together, they watch the unidentified being for a while until it notices them. 

“Oh, Chaewon.” 

Chaewon jerks back her head in shock as she recognizes the voice. “Minju?” 

The other holds up an open-palm hand to greet them then lower it as Chaewon advances and escorts Yeonhee forward. 

“What are you doing here in the middle of the night?” Chaewon asks in awe. This is the first time Minju has paid her a visit personally and physically, and it gave her butterflies. She’d always wanted to introduce the girl who she had fallen in love with to her beloved sister. 

Minju unfolds her arms and greets the sisters with an amiable smile. 

“Ah, there’s something I wanted to talk to you about.” 

When Chaewon sees Minju averting her gaze to Yeonhee, the girl thinks it’s the perfect time to introduce them. “This is Yeonhee, my date tonight, my twin baby sister, and my everything.” Chaewon rubs Yeonhee on the upper arms, holding a bright beam on her face. 

“Ni-nice to meet you.” Minju stammers, smitten by Yeonhee’s beauty. 

“She can’t hear and our mother is asleep so if you have something to say to me go ahead. Unless you want to wait until tomorrow?” 

Minju shakes her head then moves on to the reason why she’s been waiting for nearly half an hour. “I looked into that number you asked me about.” 

Reminded of the incident, Chaewon releases her protective embrace around Yeonhee and steps forward. “What did you find?”

“The number’s location bounced off one of the towers around here. Whoever sent you that message was here.” When Chaewon her head in a confused manner, Minju adds, “The number doesn’t belong to anyone in my group, however, I asked everyone I know and one person confirms whose phone number that is.” 

The way Minju beats around the bush instead of dropping a name has Chaewon’s insides turning. She has a feeling she’ll regret finding out who it is. “...whose number is it?” 

“Goeun says the number belongs to Suyun’s younger brother.” 

Chaewon’s eyes widen instantly, subconsciously, due to shock. “Suhyun’s number?” 

A small hum from Minju causes Chaewon to stumble a little. Quickly, concern, Yeonhee grabs onto her and Minju closes the space to lend Chaewon support. “What’s wrong, Chaewon? Are you okay?” 

Regaining her posture, Chaewon lets out a heavy exhale and brushes Minju’s hands off her. “...It’s nothing. I’m okay...It’s cold so I’m going to take my sister inside…” Chaewon loops her arms around Yeonhee and gently leads her inside. But as they stop to unlock the front door, Chaewon turns around and thanks Minju before heading indoors. 

Helplessly, Minju watches on as Chaewon closes the door. Although the latter’s reaction worries Minju, she can only wish Chaewon sleeps it off since it seems there’s nothing more she can do. 

Slipping her hands into her pants pocket, to keep warm, she observes the lights turning on and off inside the house. After a while, she pulls out her phone and sends Chaewon a text. 

“Good night and feel better tomorrow.” 

———

Chaewon faces the phone down on her nightstand after reading Minju’s message. At the door, she notices Yeonhee watching over her. Once their eyes meet, Yeonhee asks if Chaewon is okay and if something was wrong. 

Chaewon finds it difficult to bring out the truth as she, herself, is still unsure of what to make of the information she’s just received. Suhyun’s involvement is more than strange. The boy is only 14 and wouldn’t send something so bizarre despite his love for pranks towards his friends and family.

Unless it wasn’t him but someone else who sent it. 

Chaewon picks up her phone and quickly calls Suyun as she knows the lass would be awake. 

After the fourth ring, Chaewon hears a giddy Suyun answer her phone. “Chaewon! Calling me after 10? What’s the special occasion?” 

“Why didn’t you tell me it’s Suhyun’s number when I showed you the message?” Chaewon solicits in the strictest voice she can muster. 

As Chaewon expected, Suyun doesn’t answer right away. Instead, there are at least 10 seconds of silence before Suyun whimpers. “Chae-Chaewon I—I...I’m sorr—”

“Save it for someone who’ll believe you.” Chaewon ends the call abruptly and throws her cell onto her bed. As she struggles to calm down and think positive thoughts, Yeonhee approaches her to give her a comforting hug. Then she soothes Chaewon by rubbing her on the back gently. 

It’s moments like this that Chaewon is exceptionally grateful towards Yeonhee. However, in times like this, she also wishes Minju can console her. Once she gets the chance to look at Minju’s text again, she figures it’s a good start.

———

Sundays are catching up and homework days so Chaewon didn’t expect visitors. 

Around 10 a.m., five hours after her mom had left for work, Chaewon tries to focus on her math homework at her desk when she hears someone ring the doorbell. 

Curious, she makes her way to the main entrance when she sees Suyun with a bouquet of red roses in her hand. 

“I’m very sorry, Chaewon. Can I just have five minutes—”

“I can’t, I’m busy.” Inches away from slamming the door in Suyun’s face, Chaewon hears a thud then a weight that stops the door from closing all the way. Peeking behind it, Chaewon sees Suyun’s foot and frowns. 

“Please Chaewon. Please allow me to make it right!” 

“Go away!” Chaewon barks. This time more than Suyun’s foot is pressed up against the barrier. The taller one is trying to get in and successfully gets an arm in before Chaewon runs into her with the door. Suyun screams out in pain and drops the bouquet inside the house. Chaewon groans and curses herself for feeling bad. With the entryway now wide open, she raises her voice at the one crying and rubbing away her throbbing shoulder. “See what happens when you don’t listen!”

“Ow, ow...Please Chaewon. I was wrong for doing that. I promise it won’t happen again and if you don’t want to talk or see me for now, I understand and I—”

“Why on earth did Suhyun do that?” Chaewon demands more than inquires. 

Chaewon can see the sorry look on Suyun’s face but she doesn’t expect what the other is going to say next. “Actually,” Suyun rubs her arm, shivering with fear, “it’s not Suhyun...It’s his phone but it was...it wasn’t him who sent it…” 

“Then who was it? You?” 

Suyun shakes her head and avoids all eye contact. Chaewon sees her eyes quiver but at this point, Chaewon thinks she’s prepared for any name Suyun is about to say. 

She’s dead wrong when Suyun mentions the person whose name starts with an ‘M’ and ends with an ‘u’. 

“It was Minju.” 


A/N: Sorry for the long wait guys! Can't believe it's been more than a week since I last updated xD I swear time flies by fast when you're working long shifts haha. Anywho, the next chapter will be the last and about that poll I mention, I'm actually going to scrap it since I have an idea of what I want to do after this story :)

In case anyone is confused, Suhyun is Suyun's brother. Suhyun isn't a real idol and has no face claim, I simply played his name off of Suyun's (I'm that creative hahaha) :) He'll be brought up again later but he won't make an entrance so don't expect him too much xD 

Also, if it's not clear here, the character Yeonhee is solely deaf. Nothing more and nothing less