Two - Past

Through the Lens

There’s a new kid at school today.  It’s all everyone talks about. It’s a small school and a new kid brings new excitement, something different from the mundane day to day school life.

 

Yongsun didn’t care all that much.  She heard the new kid is younger than her, so she probably won't see her anyway.  Besides, it’s Animal Week at school, and 9 year old Yongsun cared more about animals than a random unknown girl.

 

It was during lunch that she saw the new girl for the first time.  A bit tall and chubby, wearing a blue overall and white shirt, munching on a cookie underneath a tree.  She seems perfectly content by herself, but as fate would have it, the girl’s overall have an image of some puppy on them, and Yongsun loves puppies, so it was only right that she go over there and tell the new girl that. 

 

“Hi!” 

 

The girl froze mid chew, slowly lifting her head to look at the voice, her cheeks puff out cutely as she mumbles a hello.

 

“I like your shirt! I love puppies!” 

 

The girl ducked her head and quietly let out a thank you.

 

Not to be deterred, Yongsun plops down in front of her, crossing her legs, “I’m Kim Yong Sun!” 

 

“Moon Byul Yi” The girl said quietly, so quietly Yongsun had to lean in to hear, 

 

“Like the stars?” 

 

The girl, Moon byul Yi, nod.

 

“That’s a pretty name.  Hey!  You’re star and I'm sun! Let’s be friends!” 

 

Children make friends so easily and for the simplest reason, and these two are no different.  Star and Sun. Friends.  Sounds perfectly acceptable.

 

“Okay,” Byulyi lifts her head a bit to give her a small smile, to which Yongsun returns with her signature bright big smile.

 

“How old are you?”

 

“I’m 8..”

 

“I’m 9!  I’m your unnie!” 

 

“Okay unnie” Byulyi gave her another smile before looking down, noticing the cookie.  Her mom always say to share her food. She shyly present the bitten cookie to her new friend, “Do you want a piece unnie?”

“Okay!” 

 

Byulyi broke off a big piece to give to her, 

 

“Ani, you get the big piece Byulyi,” 

 

Shaking her head, she insisted on yongsun getting the bigger piece, “I already ate some unnie,” 

 

“Are you sure?” 

 

Byul nod,

 

“Okay, thanks!” Yongsun took a bite, “YUM this is really good Byul! Oh, is it okay if I call you Byul?” 

 

Byul gave another nod before refocusing on her cookie, 

 

“Cool!  Hey, where did you get this, it’s really good,”

 

“My omma made it,”

 

“Jincha?  It’s really good!” 

 

“I have more,” Byul opens up her lunch box and gave some cookies to Yongsun, who tried to decline, “Are you sure?  These are yours!”

 

“Omma made lots, we have more at home,” 

 

“Thanks Byul! Oh where do you live?  Do you walk home?  Did you just move here?” Yongsun bombarded her with questions as she takes the cookies and place it in her pockets, 

 

“You're welcome unnie.  And um, I live near school.  My omma is picking me up since it’s my first day, and uh yeah we moved here last week.”

 

“Where did you use to live?”

 

“Jeju-do”

 

Yongsun eyes widen, “Woah!  That’s so far away! That’s like, on the other side of the world!” Yongsun exclaim, opening her arms wide to emphasize her point, causing the younger girl to shyly laugh at her antics, 

 

“Ani, it wasn’t that far”

 

*RING*

 

The bell signals the end of lunch time, and now, it’s back to class. 

 

“Awww, let's eat again tomorrow??”

 

“Okay unnie,”

 

“Yay! See you tomorrow Byul!  And thanks for the cookies!” Yongsun yells as she ran back to class, waving at her new friend who was heading in a different direction to her own classroom.

 

When school ended and Byulyi meet up with her mom at the gate, as all parents do, she asked her daughter how her day was.

 

In the comfort of a familiar face, Byulyi told her mom all about this new friend who loves her cookies and wants to eat with her again tomorrow.

 

“I’m glad you made a friend Byulyi!  See, starting a new school isn’t so bad. Maybe you should invite her over sometime?  I can make her more cookies.”

 

“Okay! She's super nice, omma! She’s going to be my bestest best friend!”