Chapter Two: Making It Up

Fairytale After All

JYP PR Firm

Yeji reaches her office and she brought coffee and croissant for Lia because she knows how much Lia loves croissant. However, she stops on the track when she heard the employees is talking about Lia. She was going to reprimand them for talking back behind someone’s back but when she heard what they converse about, she quickly snatches the newspaper from one of the employee’s hand.

‘A New Face for JaneRuby Fashion?’

Lia’s face is all over the news. Yeji could not help but to grin widely at her friend’s achievement. She always knows that Lia got what it takes to be a model, but she was so insecure. Then one of the employee points out that the main topic they were talking about is not Lia being the new face for JaneRuby brand and the employee turn the newspaper to the next page where the newspaper reported the secret date of the crown princess with Lia.

Yeji’s face turn sour when she saw the photo of where Lia laughed happily with the crown princess beside her. She hands the newspaper back and asks the employees to work instead of gossiping around. They scramble back to their own seats and continues with their work.

“Yeji!”

Yeji turns to see her cousins gesturing at her to come into the office. Yeji goes to her cousin office and her cousins asks her to sit down.

“What is it unnie?”

“Have you seen the news?”

“About Lia being the new model for JaneRuby brand?”

“Yeah, and did you checked on the tabloid corner?”

“Secret date with the princess.”

“Yes! You know this is going to be huge advantage for our company now that one of our executive is dating the crown princess!” Sinb said excitedly.

Yeji was not happy, she is not happy that Lia is seeing other people. The reason why Yeji decided to join her cousin company is mainly because of Lia, and she thought this will be a good opportunity for her to finally confesses her feeling to her best friend.

Sinb noticed the looks in her cousin’s face. She feels guilty for wanting to take the situation to her advantages. She puts her hand on her cousin shoulder “I’m sorry. I know you have a crush on Lia. I shouldn’t have said what I said.”

Yeji flashes a smile to her cousin “No, I’m okay.”

“You sure you okay?”

“Yeah…” Yeji lied.

Sinb saw from her office that Lia had come to work. She pats Yeji on the shoulder and tell her “She’s here, maybe you and her should talk, you know just to clarify things.”

“What is it there to clarify?”

“Her date with the princess. If she said it is nothing, then you may still have chance.”

***

Son Residence

Irene and Wendy had a very quiet breakfast, no words were exchange even glances. Irene hates the situation that they are in. Even though they are married not based on love, but Wendy would still try her best to makes everything work between them. There was not a day where Wendy would ignore her like this. She never experienced this side of Wendy. Irene knows it was her fault that Wendy grows cold toward her. It was her selfishness that causes the rift today. When they got married, both agree to just keep everything platonic between them. PDA is only to be shown in public to fool the public but not when they are alone.

Irene decided to break the ice between them by saying “Do you have any officially visiting that you need to attend today?”

Wendy stops eating and she looks up to her wife, she ponders for a few second before she replies “A few visiting to the orphanage and cancer association and then back to the office to do some paperwork.”

Irene was relieved that Wendy is willing to answer her, she thought that her wife will give her the cold shoulder all day. She takes a deep breath and she asks her wife “Do you mind if I join you on the visiting?”

Wendy almost choked on her scrambles egg at her wife’s sudden request. She takes the napkin and wipes “You want to join?”

Wendy surprised at Irene’s request because she can count on how many times did Irene willingly to come with her in her official visit. Usually when it involves a large crowds and lots of reporters is going to be there, then Irene will follow her.

“Can I? It’s been a while since I went with you for official visit.”

Wendy does not understand her wife sometimes. She cannot deny that her wife is a beautiful and stunning woman, she fits to be with the crown princess. She could not understand why her uncle did not want to take Irene as his daughter in law. The reason that the Monarchy gave her was very ambiguous. Her uncle told her that Ryujin is still too young to get married and Irene is not the perfect match for Ryujin.

The crown princess met with Irene at the age of 17, and Irene was at the time 27. They met at the royal family gala. Wendy was the person who introduced them to each other. She did not expect her cousin will fall for Irene and for Irene to reciprocate her cousin’s feeling too. She and Irene known each other through acquaintance. Wendy loves to watch ballet performance and Irene was one of the ballet dancer. Wendy’s friend Kang Seulgi, introduced the two of them.

Wendy likes Irene, there is no doubt of it. Everyone can see it but herself. She is protective toward Irene and she will do anything for her wife. Maybe that is the reason why Irene finds it hard whenever Ryujin requested her to leave Wendy.

Wendy reluctantly agrees to let her wife come with her. She actually felt a little guilty after giving her wife the cold shoulder last night. She did not mean it to be like that but she is really tired after whole day at work and then the tabloid. It makes she looks like she is a bad wife who could not able to control her wife from seeing her old fling.

Irene smiles happily at Wendy and she continues to enjoy her breakfast. Wendy loves to see Irene smiles because Irene’s smile is what makes her heart warm.

***

“Good morning family!” Ryujin greets her family members who are eating peaceful at the dining room.

“You look awfully happy today.” Said Yuna to her sister.

“Is it wrong to be happy?”

“Hmm let me guess, the date went well last night?”

“How did you know?”

Yuna rolls her eyes and she takes out her phone and show her sister the viral photos of the princess going on date with the mysterious model from the JaneRuby fashion show.

“It was all over the news this morning.” Said Yuna.

The King and Queen could not help to hide their smirk. They have seen the news earlier than Ryujin did and they are happy to see that even after the damaging tabloid news about their daughter was caught together with Irene the media finally amend the situation for the better by capturing their daughter date with their future daughter in law.

“Paparazzi.” Ryujin sighed when she sees the photos.

She hates being followed by reporters and paparazzi. She does not understand why are they so obsessed with her private life. From her young age, Ryujin were told to watch her manner, and when she made slight mistake, she would be punished by her mother. The situation is different with her younger sister. Yuna had more freedom than she is, but she knows that her little sister also had to watch out her mannerism if she is in public. People compared the royal sisters a lot, how Ryujin was the king’s pride and Yuna is the king’s joy.

Since young Ryujin were sent to boarding school and was taught how to be a Queen. That causes her to be rebellious when she grows up and how it affected her relationship with her family. It also affected her relationship with her sister. They used to be so close that was until Ryujin had to be away for school and their relationship grow cold.

“So how is your date? Did you fell for her?” Yuna teases her sister.

“She’s beautiful no doubt about it, the most wonderful woman I ever met.”

“Then…will you forget about Irene and choose Julia instead?” the king spoken.

Ryujin went silent after her father’s question. She contemplates for a moment and then she answers “I…try.”

Yuna knows her sister lied. She knows how much in love is her sister with the Duchess of Seongbuk-dong’s wife. Yuna continues to eat her scones in silence because she did not want to makes things worst.

“I don’t understand what do you see in that woman.” Chided the Queen.

The Queen remarks hurts Ryujin. How can she stay calm if her family mocks the woman that she loves? She slams her fork and knife on the dining tables and everyone turn to her.

“I will forget about her since that is what you want me to do. I will even marry this girl if that what you want me to do. I will even stop seeing Irene if that what you want me to do, but never ever insults Irene in front of me. It was not her fault that I fell in love with her, and it wasn’t my fault that she fell in love with me. Love is not a sin…so please just stop mentioning her name in this house.”

The cheery atmosphere turns tense after the princess snapped. Yuna gets up and she excuses herself while her parents and sister continue to eat in silence. Yuna just hate that they have to fight every time whenever that they are together.

Yuna exited the dining room and she was greeted by her maid.

“Your royal highness.”

“I don’t feel like going to school for today, I’ll just study at home.”

“Are you feeling okay?”

Yuna smiles at her maid and she replies “Yeah, I just don’t feel like interacting with anyone today. Can you please help me to inform my homeroom teacher? Tell him I’m not feeling well or anything.”

The maid bows and she says “Certainly, I will inform your homeroom teacher.”

***

Lia was busy with her paperwork whole morning, even when Yeji came in to find her she had to decline her. She was too engrossed into her work until she heard a soft knock on her door. She looks up and saw Yeji standing by the door.

“Yes Yeji? Is there anything that you need?”

Yeji shows her watch to Lia to show her what time is it now. It’s already 1pm and Lia had been working since 9am nonstop. “I remembered you owe me a lunch date, because you decline me yesterday. So shall we go grab lunch together? Everyone else is already gone.”

Lia looks through her class panel and indeed, all of her coworkers had already gone for lunch. She looks at her desk there are still mountains of paperwork that she had not done yet. She turns her gaze to Yeji who is waiting for her at the door. She then looks back to her pc and her stomach gurgle too loud. Yeji laughs when she heard the sound.

“I believe you did not have your breakfast…knowing you since high school. Miss-Skip-My-Breakfast, come on let’s go, it won’t be long, the faster we go the faster we can come back.”

Lia gives in to her stomach because she is really hungry and she does not want to upset her stomach. She turns off her monitor and grabs her handbag with her.

“So where’s for lunch?”

“How about the Italian restaurant next block?” Lia suggests.

“Sure. Let’s go.”

The two of them exited the office and takes the lift to reach the ground floor because their office are in the 7th floor. When they exited the building, a bunch of reporters and paparazzi are waiting for Lia outside. They begin to take pictures of her without her consent and throwing lots of question regarding her relationship with the princess. Lia clutches to Yeji’s arm for support when she was bombarded by all of the questions and the reporters did not give her space. Yeji had to pushes the reporters away from getting too close to Lia.

Lia was clearly in shock. She knew that the paparazzi got the photo of her date with the princess last night, but she did not expect that they will come to her place to assault her. Yeji wraps her arms around Lia’s shoulder and she protected her all the way till they reach the restaurant.

When the restaurant manager saw the reporters swarming the two ladies, she immediately steps out. Yeji explains the situation to the restaurant manager and the manager allowed them to come in but stops the reporters to step in and the manager order them to disperse as they are disturbing their patron.

“You two okay?” the manager asks Yeji and Lia. Yeji nods and then she checked on Lia. The shock on her face is visible, she is distraught. The restaurant manager saw it too, she quickly asks one of the waiter to assist the two woman to a more private seating and she asks other waitress to prepare some drink to calm them down.

The waitress said to the manager “Ma’am, isn’t she’s the one who went out on a date with the princess last night?”

The manager shushes her waitress and she instructs them to keep it to themselves and just do their job professionally.

Yeji gently pats Lia on the back as she asks “You’re okay?”

“Yes…just a little shock.” Lia replies with a nervous smile all over her face.

“So…is it really you that went out on a date with the princess last night?” Yeji asks.

“Yes.” Lia answers.

Yeji could feel her heart broken to pieces when she heard Lia’s answer. “So she was the lunch date that you told me yesterday?”

Lia was about to answers her but she was interrupted by the waitress that serve them their drinks.

“Ugh, we did not order this.” Yeji said to the waitress.

“Oh, it’s on the house, our manager ordered it for you.”

Yeji turns to the manager and the manager put her thumbs up. Yeji thanks the manager and she give a tips to the waitress. Yeji hands Lia the iced tea to calm the latter down. Lia gulps it down in a second.

“Slow down, you’ll get brain freeze.”

“Sorry that you have to be in the mess. I did not expect that they will swarm at me like that.”

“Well, you’re dating the crown princess of course they will swarm at you.”

“We’re not dating.” Lia denies “Well yes my father wants me to marry her, but the princess did not want to rush thing. She said it is better if we get to know each other better.”

“Wait, what? Marry?”

“Yes marry. It was the King’s suggestion to pair me with the princess. The monarchy wants to find someone who they think worth it to be the princess’s bride.”

“And they chose you?” Yeji sounds a little irritate. After been gone for a few years, she thought when she came back she can claim Lia as hers but it turns out, someone had cut the queue.

“You think I’m not worth it to be with the princess?”

“No…I mean you’re beautiful yes of course you are worth it to be with the princess, but my question is, why did you sound so relax? They are forcing you to be with someone that you never know, and just because she is the royal princess doesn’t mean that you cannot reject her.”

“I believe love can be cultivated, it doesn’t necessarily have to be in love in order to be together. As long as we understand and respect each other. And my parents did not force me to be with the princess, they gave me choice, if I am not comfortable with the princess then I can end the relationship. The princess seems to be like a very nice person, we have so much in common, so I am willing to try to work on this relationship.” Lia explains to her friend.

Yeji is hurt by what Lia said. “What about me? What about us?” Yeji murmured under her breath.

“Pardon me?”

“Oh nothing.” Yeji turns to look outside and it seems like the reporters is gone, she turns back to Lia and asks what she wants to eat. It will be her treats.

***

Ryujin Office

The princess’s secretary came in to the princess office “Your royal highness.”

“Yes?”

“Have you seen the news?”

Ryujin lifts up her head and looks at her secretary “What news?”

The secretary takes out the tablet and shows the news to the princess. The princess takes the tablet from her secretary and she watches the news. The entertainment news shows the video of Lia getting swarms and assaulted by the paparazzi and also the reporters.

Ryujin quickly turns the video off and she sighs “These pesky people just don’t know how to let people live in peace.”

“Do you want the palace to issue a warning to the news outlet?”

Ryujin shakes her head, she had a bad relationship with the press. When she dated Irene at the age of 17, the paparazzi had given her the worst PTSD. She hates to deal with the press, so she usually just avoids them but she cannot let them harass Lia. She needs to think of a way to help Lia.

“Let me handle this matter.” She said to her secretary and she dismiss him.

Ryujin gets her phone and scroll to Lia’s number.

***

Lia does not dare to go back to the office and she asks Yeji if she could stay at the restaurant for a little longer even though they had finish eating. Yeji agrees to accompany Lia until she feels it is safe to go back to their office. Yeji made sure that she notified her cousin about their situation and Sinb told them that it is okay.

Lia’s phone rings and Yeji managed to glance at the contact person ID. It was the princess.

“Hello.”

“Lia, are you okay? I saw the news. Where are you? Do you want me to get you?”

Lia feels a lot calmer now that she heard the princess’s voice and how the princess is concern for her.

“I’m okay, my friend is here with me. The reporters seem like they had gone away, but I think I’ll wait for a little longer before I go back to work.”

“Can you give me your location?”

“Why?”

“I’m coming to pick you up.” Said the princess.

“But…I still have to go back to work.”

“Well give me your company number, I’ll give your boss a call to excuse you to come in for work today.”

Lia burst out laughing at what the princess said then she replies “This is power abuse you know?”

“I don’t care if I’m going to abuse my power as long as I can keep you safe.”

The words from the princess touches Lia’s heard. Yeji saw Lia’s eyes gleaming, and she can feel her heart breaks into million pieces. She is watching her crush slowly falling in love with someone else. When Lia hangs up her phone, Lia turns to her friend.

“Yeji, can you tell the director that I’m taking half day off today?”

Yeji fakes a smiles and nods “Sure, it is better if you can go home and rest after that traumatic experience.”

“Thank you so much Yeji-ah. You’re a great help.”

After waiting for 30 minutes, Lia heard the crowds outside screaming and yelling. She saw the princess’s car parked outside the restaurant and the princess steps out from the car walking toward the restaurant.

The restaurant’s manager saw the princess coming in, she quickly asks the waitress to line up to greet the princess. When the princess steps into the restaurant everyone curtsy to her.

Ryujin smiles and greet everyone, but her eyes were looking for Lia. Her smiles grow wider when she spotted Lia.

Lia stands up and she curtsy to the princess. Yeji was reluctant to curtsy to the princess. Yeji does not see the princess as the Royal but as her love rivalry.

“You didn’t have to come all the way here.”

“I just want to make sure that you are safe.”

Lia blushes at Ryujin’s remark, she then remembers her friend, so she turns to Yeji and introduce Yeji to the princess.

“Ryujin, this is my friend, Yeji. We’ve been friends since high school.”

“Nice to meet you, your royal highness.”

“Thank you for keeping Lia company, I can take it from here.”

Ryujin hands out her hand and Lia was confused until Ryujin grabs for her hand. Lia face turn as red as the tomato when the princess holds her hand.

“Keep her safe.” Was the last word Yeji said to the princess before the princess and Lia exited the restaurant. Lia managed to wave good bye to Yeji and Yeji waves back.

When Ryujin and Lia steps out from the restaurant the reporters comes back and start to swarm at them again. They are asking a lot of questions and snapping a lot of photos. Ryujin uses her hand to block the reporters from taking photos of Lia.

“Your highness, is she your new lover?”

“Have you gotten over Lady Irene?”

“Are you in a serious relationship with this lady?”

“What is your new lover name?”

All of the questions are making Ryujin’s blood boils. She hates it when people does not know the boundaries. One of the reporters accidentally hits Lia on the head with his microphone. Ryujin was enrage she saw the incident. She pulls Lia closer and grab the reporter by his collar, but Lia stops her in time. Ryujin let go of the reporter’s collar and quickly walks to her car.

She opens the door for Lia and she quickly close the door and enter from the other side. She tries her best to ignore the reporters. As soon as she gets in the car she asks her driver to drive them to safer place as fast as he can.

After they drive far away from that place, Ryujin quickly check on Lia’s forehead. It was bleeding, Ryujin quickly takes out her handkerchief and uses it to wipes off the blood.

“I’m so sorry that I made you go through all those.” Ryujin apologizes.

Lia smiles at her “It’s not your fault.”

“What do you mean it’s not my fault, because I’m a princess so people are interested in my live, and then I put you in danger. I promise, I will do whatever it takes to stops them from attacking you like that.”

Ryujin sound genuinely worry for Lia. She does not want Lia to have the same traumatic experience like she did. Ryujin’s warm hand touches Lia cheek and it made Lia blushes like crazy. The princess lean in closer to have a better look on Lia’s forehead. Lia could smell the princess’s perfume and it makes her head swirl. She can hear her heartbeat going out of control. It was the first time that someone ever come close to her like that. She could not help but to lock her eyes on the princess’s lips.

Ryujin sees that the bleeding had stop, she sighs in relieve. She leans backward and she saw that Lia is staring at her lips. She smiles and decided to tease Lia by leaning closer until they are only an inch away from each other.

“If you keep staring at me like that, don’t blame me for what is going to happen next.” Said Ryujin.

Lia struggles to keep her thoughts straight with the princess being so near to her. “What are you going to do?” she asks the princess. Ryujin leans in even closer, Lia could feel Ryujin’s breath hitting her lips. She shut her eyes tightly in anticipation. Ryujin pulls away when she saw Lia closed her eyes. She could not help but to smile at Lia’s cuteness. She bops Lia on the nose and she sees Lia open her eyes in disappointment.

“You thought I was going in for a kiss?” Ryujin asked and she can see Lia’s face is even redder than tomato now.

Lia pouts and she crosses her arms “There I was, thinking that finally I’m going to give away my first kiss.” Said Lia.

Ryujin was shocked when Lia said that it was going to be her first kiss. “You…never had your first kiss? Not even in your high school?”

Lia shakes her head and she smiles at Ryujin “I was ugly and fat when I was in high school. No one finds me attractive you know. Yeji was the only friend I have back then, and since I come from aristocrat clan…people kind of avoiding me.”

Ryujin sees the sadness in Lia’s eyes when she recalls her high school memories. Ryujin wraps her arm around Lia and pulls her closer to her. “Those who rejected you in high school would probably regret it if they see you now.”

Lia naturally lies her head on Ryujin’s shoulder and she slowly closes her eyes, listening to Ryujin’s calm heartbeat and the song from the radio. She feels safe in Ryujin’s arm and she does not know why she feel that way. She just wished that time could stop that moment and let her stay in Ryujin’s arm for eternity.

Ryujin rest her head on Lia’s head and immerse herself in the song that is playing on the radio. She can hear that Lia’s breath gets heavier and she looks down at Lia and sees that she had fallen asleep.

“Sanghoon, can you cruise around town? I want her to rest for a while.” Ryujin said to her driver.

“No problem your highness.”

***

Seoul Cancer Association

“So as you can see, all of these kids were abandon by their parents consider them a burden to the family. Our association had been taking care hundreds of kids over the year. Our only source of income is the craft work from the kids where we auction of every year. It is a great honor for us when the Duchess of Seongbuk-dong decided to make donation to our association.” The manager of the cancer association explains to the Duchess about their institution.

As her wife is listening to the manager’s explanation, Irene mingles around with the nurses and the children in the ward. She greets every one of the children until she reaches bed no 404. The kid is a little older compared to the other children.

“Her parents died when she was 12, and she had no one so we had to take her in. She is our oldest patient in here. She just turned 16 this year.” The nurse explains to Irene.

Irene looks at the pale looking teenager and her heartache. She sits on the teenager’s bed and gently put her hand on the girl’s hand.

“Sulli-ah, say hello to the Duchess.” The nurse tells the teenager.

“……” the patient name Yeri does not show any emotion and she stares at Irene blankly “Hello.” She finally said it after a while.

“Life must be hard on you.” Said Irene to the teenager.

The teenager scoffs and then pull her hand way from Irene. “Life had been unfair to me, if I got one wish, I wish that I were dead.”

“Sulli!” The nurse scolds the teenager. Irene was shocked to hear such confession from a teenager. Irene gets up from the bed and she stares at the emotionless eyes of the patient named Sulli.

Irene startles when she feels a hand on her waist. She turns to her side and sees her wife. Wendy is worried when she saw the distraught look on Irene’s face. The nurse turns around to Irene and apologize profusely to the Duchess. Irene dismisses it and said that it was okay. Sulli smiles at Irene before Wendy leads her away from the wad.

The words that Sulli said keeps on replaying in Irene’s head. She does not know why it affect her so much. She was trembling and Wendy noticed it. Wendy let go of her hand that was on Irene’s waist and she holds Irene’s hand. She squeezes it gently to tell Irene that she is there for her. She leans closer to Irene and whispers “Are you okay? You suddenly look pale.”

Irene shakes her head and smiles at her wife. She feels calm after Wendy hold her hand. Wendy suggests for the two of them to go to their next visit. Wendy can see that something made her wife distraught. Wendy and Irene went to the manager office to sign the agreement and take official photo with the institution founder.

They took a few photos together with the founder, the manager and all the staff nurses. Then the couple leave the building together. Outside of the building a bunch of reporters are waiting for them. The couple waves and them and show some PDA as they walk to their car.

“Excuses me Ma’am! Last night you were spotted with the crown princess, did you two still have something going on?” one of the reporter asked Irene.

Wendy was not having any of it, so she turns to the reporter who asked the question and she smiles at the reporter.

“Irene is my wife and Princess Ryujin is my cousin, I don’t see anything wrong with them being together in the same place. They’ve broken up and Irene is married to me now, we are happily married so I hope you guys won’t ask these kind of questions anymore. Please respect our relationship. Have a good day.” Wendy answered the reporter question and everyone is dumbfounded by Wendy’s wise and calm answer.

Wendy pulls her wife and walks to their car as quick as they can so they can quickly leave the place. When they got in the car Wendy let out a loud sigh.

“Thank you.”

Wendy turns to Irene when she heard Irene thanked her “For what?” she asks.

“Thank you for defending me out there, even though I hurt you many times.”

“I’ve gotten used to it.” Wendy replies with a bitter smile on her face. “Let’s move to the next place.” Wendy says to the driver.

When Irene heard that Wendy said that she had gotten used to it, she felt guilty. She is in dilemma, she and Ryujin made a plan. A plan which when Ryujin becomes Queen, she will abolish the rule that said a royal family member cannot marry a divorcee. They already made up their mind that no matter how long it takes they will be together one day.

Wendy is the victim in their relationship, Irene wanted to try her best to be the wife that Wendy deserves. She remembers now why Sulli’s word made her tremble. She was one in the same situation as Sulli, where she wished that she was dead. When her parents forced her to get married to Wendy, she wanted to kill herself. She thought it is better if she just died if she can’t be together with Ryujin.

It was Wendy who talk her through it when she was in the verge of suicidal. It was Wendy who stayed beside her and talk to her if she suicides, she only will leave behind pain. Wendy made Irene realized that if she had killed herself that night, no one is going to take care of her parents. Her parents are getting old and since Irene is their only child, how would they feel if they lost their daughter. That is why what Sulli said made Irene scared. Irene turns to her wife and she sees the fatigue in Wendy’s face. Irene reaches for Wendy’s hand and she holds it tight which surprises Wendy.

“What’s wrong?”

Irene shakes her head and she smiles at Wendy “From now on, can I hold your hand? I don’t want to just show PDA when we were in public. I want to hold your hand even when we’re alone.”

Wendy was confused by her wife’s words but she does not mind it if Irene wants to hold her hand when they are alone. She had never mind it at all, but she does not want to make her wife uncomfortable. The night on their wedding, they had set the rule, no touching whenever they are alone. Irene intertwine their fingers and it made Wendy even more confused. She frowns but she relaxes her face when she sees their hands. Irene’s small hand fit perfectly in hers. Maybe, just maybe Irene has slowly open up her heart to Wendy.

***

Han River

The Princess car parked under a big tree near the Han River. The princess had ordered her driver to go and have his dinner while she waits in the car because she does not want to wake Lia up. Ryujin looks down on Lia who sleeps soundly on her shoulder. She tries to move her hair away but she accidentally shakes causes Lia to stir up. Lia wakes up and she sees unfamiliar surroundings and when she looks up she is surprised to see that she had fallen asleep on the princess’s shoulder and she realized that it’s already dark outside.

“I’m sorry!”

“No it’s okay, you look cute when you’re asleep.”

“Oh my god, what time is it?”

Ryujin looks at her apple watch and replies Lia “Almost 7.”

“Oh my god…I am so sorry that I slept that long!”

Ryujin laughs at Lia panic face “I told you it’s okay. Since you’re awake now, do you want to have dinner together?”

Lia checks on her phone and there is no miss call or messages, she was worried about her work but since there is no message she feels a little relieved.

I have to thank Yeji tomorrow. Lia thoughts to herself then she turns to Ryujin and agreed to go have dinner with her, but she frowns when she remember the scene that it caused when the paparazzi and reporters found out that she went out on a date with the crown princess.

Ryujin saw the frowns and she bops Lia’s nose to get the girl’s attention “I know what you are thinking, don’t worry, I have a solution, I just need to get my father’s approval and I will tell you about it.”

“Solution to?”

“To stop those press from pestering you, and me.”

“Life as a royal member is hard huh?” Lia asks Ryujin when they decided to exit the car and walk to the nearest eatery. Ryujin makes sure that she texted her driver to tell him to go without them. She will use the cab to go back to the palace.

“Yeah, it’s hectic and crazy sometimes. You know the drill, you’re from the aristocrat family.” Ryujin said to Lia.

“My father makes sure to keep me away from the limelight since I was a baby, he never allowed people to take picture of me, and keep me away from all of the press, so even though I am a Choi, they don’t know that I am that Choi.”

“I envy that life.” Sighed Ryujin, she offers her arm to Lia and without hesitation Lia links arm with her.

They continue to walk abreast to the nearest restaurant. There was a small cozy looking café at the corner and seeing that there is no patron inside, the duo decided to go in.

“Welcome to little cottage café!” The owner of the café greets them.

The couple sit nearby the window because Ryujin wants to look at the Han River view at night. Lia went to order some food for them as Ryujin waits at their seat. Ryujin takes out her phone and check on the daily news. She was surprised to see the news about Irene and Wendy. She watches the short clip of the video that the reporter managed to captured.

“Irene is my wife and Princess Ryujin is my cousin, I don’t see anything wrong with them being together in the same place. They’ve broken up and Irene is married to me now, we are happily married so I hope you guys won’t ask these kind of questions anymore. Please respect our relationship. Have a good day.”

Ryujin wanted to hate her cousin but she cannot. She respects her cousin. They have a 7 years’ and Wendy helped Ryujin a lot in coping with all the royal duties. When Wendy got married to Irene, Ryujin deliberately avoided attending the wedding. The two cousins had been drifted apart because of one woman. But seeing that clip of Wendy defending Irene and holding Irene so tightly made Ryujin uneasy. She feels like Irene is slowly slipping away from her fingertips. Ryujin close the news tab and she texted her sister.

Lia had finish ordering and she went to the counter to pay for their food. The cashiers gently whispers asking Lia if the person that came in with her is the princess herself. Lia denies it and said that she is just someone who looked alike because she did not want to get more attention on them.

“Total is 77,566.60 won.”

Lia hands the cashier her credit card. The cashier tap Lia’s card to the machine and return it to her “Please be seated, your order will be deliver to your seat once it is ready.”

“Thank you.”

Lia goes back to her seat and she smiles at Ryujin, but she noticed that the princess is daydreaming. She waves her hand in front of Ryujin and Ryujin snaps back to reality.

“You okay?”

“Yeah, what did you ordered?”

“I ordered a seafood spaghetti aglio e olio and sirloin steak. Do you mind if we share?”

“No problem.”

Lia can feel that the atmosphere has changed, Ryujin seems like she is not in the mood. Lia tries to cracked a joke to lightened up the atmosphere. Ryujin responds with a dry laugh.

“I feel like something is bothering you. Do you mind sharing your thoughts with me? I might not well educate in the royal matters but I can lend an ear.”

***

Seoul Royal Palace

Yuna rushes to her father’s office with her phone in her hand.

“Your royal highness.” The King’s butler stops the princess at the door.

“Is my father in his office?” The princess ask as she pants to catch on her breath.

“Your father had retreat back to his resting room, your highness. Are there any important matters? Do you need me to intercom him?”

Yuna opens the door to her father’s office and he ignores the butler warning to not simply enter the king’s office. She turns to the butler and said that she has the right to enter the king’s office because she’s his child too. The butler back away after the princess scolded him.

Yuna reaches for the phone and intercom the whole palace to look for her father.

“Daddy! Can you come into your office? Now this is urgent matters!”

***

The King was just about to change to his bath robe when he heard his daughter intercom him. He turns to his wife and his wife just shrug at him. Taemin change back to his shirt and asks if the Queen want to join him. Naeun gets out of bed and get change too and she walks with her husband to his office.

The royal coupled reach the King’s office and they see their daughter is already sitting at the couch, waiting for them.

“What is it Yuna?”

“Daddy…it’s Ryujin. She texted me and she wants me to gather you and mommy together, she said she wanted to talk about something with you once she gets back.”

Taemin looks around and see no sight of Ryujin so he turns to Yuna again “Where is your sister?”

“She’ll be here, but she said to gather you and mom together. She said it is urgent.” Yuna shrugs.

Taemin sighs and he sits opposite to his daughter and crosses his arms. The Queen joins her husband on the couch and she had stern look on her face. Yuna smiles awkwardly at her parents.

“Do you want tea?”

***

Ryujin and Lia finishes their dinner in an awkwardly silent. Ryujin called a taxi for Lia.

“I’m sorry I have to send you home by taxi, I have some matters that I need to attend.”

“It’s okay. I’m sorry that I take up your time.”

“Nah, it’s okay. Text me once you got home.”

“Okay.”

They two of them bid goodbyes and Ryujin watches as the taxi drive away. Once the taxi is out of her sight, she called for the driver to pick her up.

Lia keeps on glancing back to check on Ryujin when she’s in the taxi. She wants to make sure that the princess is okay. She does not know what happened, they were happy before they enter the restaurant.

***

Seoul Royal Palace

Ryujin reached the palace and she was greeted by her father’s butler. She told her that everyone is waiting for her at her father’s office. Ryujin thanked the butler and continues to walk toward her father’s office. Ryujin opens the door and she was greeted by her family.

“Yuna told us, you got something urgent to discuss.” Said the King to his eldest daughter.

Ryujin clears and she stands with her hands behind her back. “I, Shin Ryujin as the future Queen of Korea, decided to take Julia Choi Jisu as my wife and I seek for the current reigning monarchy to bless my decision to take her as my wife and as the future Queen’s partner.”

The King and Queen exchange glances at their daughter sudden statement. The King crosses his legs and he looks at his daughter with such confusion.

“You barely know her. I gave you 6 months to get to know her, there is no need to rush to take her as your wife yet.”

Ryujin scoffs at her father’s reply and she retaliates back by saying “How long are you going to torture me? I wanted to be with Irene and you denied my request, and you made Wendy wed her just so you could see me suffer from seeing my beloved be with someone else. Now I am willing to put Irene behind and try to fix my love life and you wouldn’t allow me to marry the girl that you chose for me too.”

“Ryujin.” The Queen calls out her daughter name in order to calm the princess’s down. Ryujin stops talking at the Queen’s command.

“Your father did not want you to rush on marrying her because your father doesn’t want you to use her as an escape route. We know how much you are in love with Irene. We know that you plan on to get with her once you ascend to the throne. Julia is a nice girl, we have done background check on her and we do not wish you would hurt her. You have to know your duty to the country the moment your father crowned you as the crown princess, the heir to the throne.”

“You just hate Irene because she is a commoner.” Ryujin spats.

“We don’t hate her because she’s a commoner! Your mother was a commoner before and the Royal family have no issue with her. We just think that she is not suitable to be the Queen’s consort.” Said the King, and his tone is getting deeper which mean he is losing his cool.

“In what term does someone is considered to be suitable to be the future queen consort huh?”

The King stands up and he points at Ryujin “If you wanted to marry Lia because you think she matches you, fine then. Proposed to her and if she agreed, bring her to the palace and we will talk about your engagement and marriage. However, if your intention to marry her is just for you to use her, I as the King, have the right to punish you.”

The King take his leave angrily. He swears to God, Ryujin will be the cause of his death one day. The Queen stands up and she glares at her eldest daughter for making the King angry before she follows her husband.

Ryujin grunts in frustration and she sits next to her sister. She tries to calm herself down and then she turns to her sister. “I hate this family.” She said.

“Unnie, I’m sorry but I’m standing with our family on this matters.” Said Yuna.

Ryujin gasps in disbelieve that her sister would support their family instead of her. “Shin Yuna…I thought you were on my side.”

“You just met that girl for a day and yet you decided you want to marry her. I think the reason why you wanted to rush is because of what Wendy unnie said isn’t’ it? I saw the video clip. I bet you feel like Irene is slowly falling in love with Wendy unnie, so you wanted to rush the marriage with Julia, so you can compensate your own feeling.”

“Then what you want me to do?!”

“Get your together! That’s what you need to do! Get it straight unnie, Irene is married to Wendy, and they seem to be happy around each other! Just forget your plain in marrying her, she belongs to someone else.”

“……”

“I am going to meet with this Julia and I will explain to her your circumstances, so that she won’t get hurt by your action, if on day, you really betray her.” Said Yuna and she gets up wanting to leave the office, but Ryujin grabs her by the wrist.

“Don’t you dare to go and meet her.”

“Unnie…”

“Do you think I did not think it through when I said I wanted to marry her? Yes, I admit, I don’t love her but that does not mean I don’t like her. I do like her, and I made her life chaos. Did you know that the press swarmed at her? They asked her a lot of questions and made her uncomfortable. I just want to make her life at ease. If I marry her, then those pesky pests will stop questioning what is the status of our relationship.”

“Why didn’t you said that to daddy and mommy?”

“Do you think they will listen? You’ve been in my situation. They just won’t listen to our request.” Ryujin sighed before she continues “Those reporters hurt her today. In front of me. I was so angry that I almost punch one of them. Lia stopped me, she is such a good person. Do you think I will purposely hurt her? For god sake, no. She had been good to me, why would I want hurt her? Yes, I was angry and jealous at the PDA that Irene and Wendy shown. I really feel like I’m slowly losing Irene, but it does not affect my decision to take Lia as my wife.”

Yuna was confused at her sister’s confession. One, her sister never shares anything with her, they used to share everything that happened in their life when they were still kids, but after they started their school year, and drifted apart, she and her sister were not that close as before. Secondly, the fact that her sister called Julia, Lia and she wanted to protect Julia. It was the first time that Yuna sees her sister care for someone else who is not Irene.

“I think…it’s better if you wait. For the press, I know how much you hate to deal with the press so you leave that part to me. For now, I just want you to focus on yourself and your feeling. From what I see it, the only way you can sort out your feelings is by stop caring about Irene.” Yuna advised her sister.

“How? How can I stop caring and loving Irene when she was the only one that stand by my side when I needed someone?” cried Ryujin and it made Yuna even more confused. She had never seen her sister cry, and this is the first time.

Yuna awkwardly reaches out to her sister hand and hold it “Spend more time with Lia and maybe, you can forget about Irene.”

***

Son Residence

The Duchess of Seongbuk-dong and her wife finally reach their home after a whole day of official visiting. Wendy and Irene skip their dinner and went straight to their bedroom because both are exhausted. When they reach their bedroom, Wendy asked Irene to take her bath first and she will take hers after Irene finish bathing.

Wendy takes off her suits and change to her bath robe. She goes to her vanity table to take off her make up, but she was surprised to see Irene standing by the bathroom door, with only towel wraps around her body.

“What are you doing?” Wendy asked.

“Let’s take bath together.”

Wendy dropped her oil cleanser to the floor when she heard what Irene said. She is scared and confused as at why her wife suddenly show interest in her.

“I…”

Irene slowly approaches Wendy in a very seductive way. Wendy tries her best to control her lust upon seeing her wife seducing her.

“Why are you doing this?” Wendy asks.

“I just want to thank you for what you did for me today.”

Before Wendy could reply her, Irene quickly claims Wendy’s lips to shut her up. It was their first kiss as married couple. Even when they exchange their vows they did not share a kiss. It was just a peck to the cheek. Wendy tries to resist at first but as Irene deepen the kiss and straddle Wendy, she gives up to Irene and deepen her kiss too. The towel on Irene’s body slowly slip away and Wendy can feel Irene’s bare skin against her hand. Wendy froze, and she gently pushes Irene away.

“Why are you stopping?” Irene asks.

“I cannot…are you sure you want to do this?”

“I am your wife am I not?”

“Yes…you are my wife.”

Irene smiles at Wendy’s replies and she takes Wendy’s hand and put it on her chest as she leans in and whispers in her ear “Then love me.”

***

Choi Residence

Lia finally reach home, she wanted to pay for the taxi fare but the taxi driver said the fare had been paid for. Lia thanked the driver and she enters her house.

She saw Jennie and her girlfriend, Lisa chatting in the living room. She interrupts them and asked if Lisa is okay.

“I’m okay, but most importantly! I saw the news! Were you really dating there princess?” Lisa asked, her tone was full of excitement.

Lia shyly nods “We are in the process of getting to know each other.” Said Lia.

“Tell me all about it!”

“Calm down Lisa, you are scaring Lia.”

“I’m sorry I got excited but this is the princess we’re talking about. The Princess!”

Lia laughs at Lisa’s excitement, with Lisa and Jennie around, the feeling of worried about the princess is gone as she gets entertain by her cousin’s girlfriend antic.

“So…what did you think about the princess?”

“She’s kind, reliable and sweet.” Lia replies.

“Ohh~ you like her…” Jennie and Lisa tease Lia.

Lia blushes and she brushes them away “Who wouldn’t like the princess? I mean, she’s beautiful, she’s charming and charismatic…”

“I know you’ve had a crush on the princess since we’re young. So when are you going to confess your feeling to the princess?”

“It’s too soon. What if she doesn’t think of me that way?”

“You never know if you never try.”

Lia smiles at what her cousin said and then she replies “It’s just feel too soon. I want to get to know the princess better. I mean I don’t even know her favorite color, or her favorite food.”

“Have you heard about the term, falling in love after marriage?” Lisa asked the younger girl.

Lia scoffs when Lisa mentioned about falling in love after marriage. “Why are we talking about marriage, it’s not like she’ll proposed to me in anytime soon.”

Exactly that moment, Lia’s father came in to the living room, his face was beaming with happiness. “Lia honey, it seems like the crown princess really like you. I just finished talking to the King over the phone and the King wanted to invite you to the palace tomorrow to discuss the prospect of your marriage to the princess.”

“What?” Lia, Jennie and Lisa said in unison.

***

Seoul Royal Palace

“Father what?” Ryujin questioned her secretary when he told her about his father phone call with the Choi’s patriarchy.

“Yes, your royal highness, it seems like the King had arrange for Miss Choi to come over tomorrow to discuss your marriage.”

 

To be continue…