Chapter One: The First Meeting

Fairytale After All

The sound of a door slammed echoes in the castle hallway. Every servants and residents of the castle were shock by the loud bang. The Queen who was enjoying her tea look up to her butler and her butler bows to her and went straight ahead to the source of that sound.

A soft knock on the door that was just being slammed alerted the person inside. A loud grunt can be heard and followed by a loud sigh.

“So…”

“What do you want Yuna?”

“You know how big is our house is? Well this palace? And our room is so far from each other and yet, I can hear you slammed the door.”

“I can’t believe father is doing this.”

“You’re the heir to the throne… what makes you think you can have freedom in your life?”

The heir to the kingdom glares at the younger member of the royal family “Are you here to comfort me or are you here to roast me?”

“Both.” Replied the younger princess.

The older princess mocks the younger one with her expressions and the younger princess just laugh it off. She saw their mother’s butler walking toward her sister’s room. She halts him and gesture to him that she can handle it. The butler stops, he bows and walk away.

Yuna walks into her sister’s room and she close the door behind her. She stands in front of her sister’s king size’s bed and she had her hands on her hips.

“As the older sister, you should act mature than I am, and yet here we are. Why is it always me that have to calm you down every time you throw tantrum? Sis, you’re 20 this year 20!” the younger princess reminded her older sister.

“Why can’t I have an opinion? If one day I’m going to sit on that throne to rule this kingdom, then I can decide who I want to marry!”

Yuna sighs at her sister immaturity, she looks to her sister side and saw the paper file. She gives her sister a knowing look to ask if she can view the files. The crown princess rolls her eyes and reluctantly pass the file to her sister.

Yuna opens the files and flip through the chosen bride’s biodata. “She’s cute.”

The crown princess grunts again and this time she buried herself in her pillows, ignoring her younger sister. Yuna looks at her sister briefly before she turns back to the file in her hand. She continues to flip through the biograph.

“Julia Choi Jisu, age 21, graduated from University of Toronto, Canada. Her family is a member of the aristocracy, that explain why father chose her for you. At least she is connected to the royal family in a way. Oh! And look at this picture of her! Isn’t she’s the cutest?”

Yuna pouts when her sister shows no reaction to her. “You do know mother and father will not approve your relationship with Irene unnie right? She’s a married woman! And what worse? She’s married to our cousin, Wendy unnie! You have to stop to have an affair with her!”

“She was my first love and my one true love!”

Before Yuna able to reply her sister, their father burst into the room and he was fuming. “Shin Ryujin!!”

The Queen who follows her husband from behind immediately barricade herself between the father daughter when she saw her husband is ready to throw hands at their eldest daughter.

“Honey!” she shouted at her husband.

King Taemin of the United Kingdom of SM calms himself down after he received the death stares from his wife. He hates the fact that his wife is taller than him and it makes he looks weak in front of their children. After he manages to calm himself down, he pointed at his eldest daughter.

“Have you got no shame? You humiliate me in front of my ministers and you had the audacity to said that you don’t want to get married to someone whom we carefully chose for you?” King Taemin asked his daughter.

“Have you got no empathy then? How can you force your daughter to married someone whom she is not in love with?! You always told us story about how you and mommy fell in love with each other and yet I am forbidden to be with someone who I love?” Ryujin, the crown princess fired back at her father. Her eyes are full of tears, and she is biting her bottom lip in order to stop herself from crying.

 “You are the heir to the throne! You need to find a suitable partner! And Irene is not a suitable partner for you! She is married and she is 10 years older than you are!!”

“Age is not a problem!!” Ryujin retaliates.

“She is a married woman!!” Taemin raises his voice and he started to lose control.

“Silence at once!!” Now it is the Queen’s turn to raise her voice. The silence after the Queen’s outburst is deafening.

The Queen sighs and she turns to her youngest daughter. Yuna knows the look on her mother eyes, she curtsies to the Queen and takes her leave. She gazes back one last time at her sister, and she gives her best smile to her sister in order to show her support to her sister.

Queen Naeun stares at her husband and daughter, they are avoiding her gaze. No one in the kingdom dare to upset the Queen, despite the fact that she was not of a royal blood and is married to the family, but people hold her opinion far more important than the King’s words.

“Honey, leave me with Jinie…” the Queen said to the King.

The King clears his throat and he bows at his wife before he walks out from the door. Once the Queen is sure that her husband had left the room, she turns to her daughter.

“Jinie…”

“Mommy, I can’t marry someone who I don’t love…”

The Queen remains silence. She walks to her daughter’s side and seated next to her on the bed. She grabs her daughter’s hand and gently caress it.

“Jinie… I know that your father always told you the story about how we fell in love but what he never told you is how we fell in love in the first time. You see…his situation back then was the same as you are now…as the only heir to the throne, he had no choice but to go on with his engagement with me. Your father went against the King and Queen too, but in the end he was willing to try and give our relationship a chance, and what do you know? We both fell head over heels with each other, and we hurried the wedding, then we got you and few years later Yuna.”

There was silence between the mother daughter, and Queen Naeun knows that her stubborn daughter probably won’t listen to her. She tightens her grab on her daughter’s hand to gets her daughter’s attention.

“You are a crown princess Ryujin…whatever you do will reflects on the Royal family. Having an affair with a married woman is not a morally things to do, especially for a member of the royal house. Forget about Irene, she is already happily married to Wendy…it’s time for you to move on. How about this, why don’t you go and meet with your future wife and see if she is to your liking or not. If she is not, then I will ask your father to find another one for you. How is that?”

“What if I don’t fancy all of them?”

The Queen’s sighs, she gets up and straighten herself “Whether you like it or not, the monarchy will not accept Irene as your partner, even if she divorced her wife and get with you. No Royal members of the house is allowed to marry a divorcee…and my words are final Ryujin. You are going to meet your future wife tomorrow whether you like it or not.”

Ryujin knows the tone of her mother is that she’s getting annoyed. Ryujin swallows all the things that she wanted to said and silently nod her head. The Queen smiles and she bops her daughter on the nose before she walks out from the room.

Ryujin sighs and she slumps herself back on her bed. She looks at the high white ceiling. The thoughts of her lover flooded her mind. She rolls on her side and reach out for her phone. She scrolls through the contact list and stop at the name of her lover. She hesitates for a moment, before decided to touch the call button.

The dialing sound can be heard, Ryujin is nervous. It has been a while since she last contacted her lover, they had a big fight when her lover, Irene Bae said she wanted to take a break from their affair because she wanted to focus on her married life.

When the dialing sound ended and the phone call finally being connected, Ryujin froze at the voice that greeted her.

“Hello…”

“….”

“….Jinie….”

“I miss you…” Ryujin finally says.

“…you sound sad…what happened?”

“Family…happened.”

“……”

“I wished that I wasn’t born in the Royal family…then we two can be together.”

“…Jinie…”

“Irene unnie…why can’t they let us be together? Why did you have to choose that person over me?”

There was a silence for a moment, a soft sigh can be heard from the other side of the phone call.

“Jinie…I know it’s hard for you, and I have no choice on my side too…”

“You should have waited for me.” Said the princess and her voice cracked.

“Jinie, you have to understand.”

“I tried! You said you were going to wait for me and what did you do?! You went off and married my cousin!”

“If we are going to fight again this time, might as well that we just end whatever that we have!”

“…no…please don’t…I need you…you’re the only person who understand me.” Sobbed Ryujin over the phone.

“Jinie…”

“Can we meet?” Ryujin pleads.

“…I can’t…I’m trying to fix my marriage to Wendy…”

“Don’t tell me that you’re falling for her!”

“She’s my wife.”

“That what am I?!”

“Jinie! We had this conversation before! I love you and only you, but it is my duty to be dutiful to my spouse!”

“…”

“…We will get through this together…just give me some times…we will fix this together. I promise.”

“They asked me to get marry…”

“…oh…”

“I don’t want this…I…”

“Marry whoever they choose for you.”

“What?! I made a promise that I will not…”

“Ryujin. Once you’re a Queen you can do whatever you want. Just bear with them for meantime.”

“Can I really do whatever I want when I’m Queen?”

“Yes…you just need to wait for the moment to come.”

***

Choi Residence

Julia Choi, the only daughter of the Choi’s family had just return from her work as a Public Relation Executive. She is exhausted, she had to deal with fussy clients today and it seems like the bad energy is getting on her. She was about to walk to her room when she heard her father calling for her.

“Lia, can you come here for a second?”

Lia walks into the living room and she sits opposite her father. The sound of the fire flickering at the fire place fill the room. The father daughter did not exchange any words, they only stares at each other.

Choi Siwon noticed the band aid on his daughter’s finger, he points it out and ask her “What happened?”

Lia hides it and shrugs it off “Nothing, just a paper cut.” She lied.

Siwon knows that his daughter is not the type to share her feelings to anyone, she rather keeps it to herself. He knows how her work affected her, but he keeps his silent because he knows how much it means for her to learn to be independent.

“Lia, your time has come, you’re old enough to get married.”

Lia hates it whenever her father talks about marriage. If she had a choice, she does not want to get married, she is the only child in her family. She does not want to get married because she is worried that no one will be there to take care of her parents when she is not around. Well her parents aren’t that old but she is for sure doesn’t want her parents to be lonely when she is not around.

Siwon sees the sadness in his daughter eyes. He signals her to come and sit next to her, in which she complies. Lia seated next to her father and she lays her head on her father’s shoulder.

“Lia, I know that you feel responsible for me and your mother but we want the best for you.”

“Daddy…”

“I’ve setup a meeting for you and your future partner, I hope that you can consider this matters.”

Lia sighs and she agrees with her father. Siwon is always delighted that his daughter is always obedient. He purposely left out the details about who Lia’s future partner is, because he does not want to put burden on Lia.

“May I know the details on this person that you have chosen for me? I can’t believe that even in this age, an arrange marriage is still valid.”

“We are well known upper class family. It is better if we find a better partner for you dear. However, if you have someone that you love, I will not force you to accept the arranged marriage.”

Lia smiles at her father and she hooks her arms on his and she cozily lays on his shoulder “I trust you, daddy…I know you will choose what best for me.”

Siwon smiles at her and pinch his daughter nose “I am glad that your mommy and I have you.”

***

Ryujin woke up feeling tired in the morning after staying up all night talking to Irene. She gets up and freshen up before joining her family for breakfast. Ryujin greets all of the servants that she meets on her way to the dining room.

“Your Royal Highness.”

“Morning.” Ryujin greets the butler before he opens the door for her.

The door to the dining is opened and Ryujin sees that her parents and sister are already there. Ryujin seated herself next to her mother and the servant serve her breakfast to her.

Yuna can feel the tension between her father and her sister. She slowly sips on her orange juice and looks at her mother. Yuna was amused that her mother still can enjoy her breakfast and ignore the tension in the air.

Ryujin cuts her bacon to smaller pit but she stops when her father calls out her name.

“Jinie…don’t forget your meeting with your future wife today.”

Ryujin does not answer her father and continue to eat her bacon. The king clears his throat to get his daughter attention when he did not receive any answer from her.

Ryujin let out a frustration sigh and rolls her eyes and she replies “I know, mom talked to me last night, I will go and meet her. If that what makes you happy.”

Taemin quickly finishes his breakfast and left the table without exchange any words with his family. Ryujin puts down her utensils and wipes and when she gets up from her seat her mother stops her.

“Where are you going?”

“Work.”

“You barely eat your breakfast, finish it or you’ll upset you stomach later.”

“I’ll get something to eat on my way to the office.” Said Ryujin and she hurriedly leave the dining room.

Naeun sighs at her daughter and husband’s childish attitude. Then she turns to Yuna who silently eats her breakfast and she smiles at her youngest daughter.

“Why can’t your father and sister be like you.” Said the Queen.

Yuna smiles bitterly at her mother. She always felt left out in her family, there is no doubt that her parents love her but since she is not the future Queen of the country, her parents do not focus on her much and focus more on her sister. She tries her best to be in her best attitude and not upset her parents.

“So how is school?” the queen asked her 18 years old princess.

“School is great.”

“When is the graduation?”

“This summer…”

There was a moment of silence until Yuna opens again “Will you and Pa be there?”

“Well it depends, if there is no obstacle or last minute official matters we will be there.”

Yuna was disappointed on her mother’s answer but she hides it with a smile. The Queen finishes her breakfast and excuses herself, leaving her daughter alone in the dining room. The sounds of the door closing, echoes throughout the big dining room. Yuna feels so empty, even though she is a princess, she could have whatever that she can have but she can’t have what she wants the most, that is family affection. She tries to hold her tears and continues to finishes her breakfast.

***

JYP PR Firm

“Morning.” Lia greets her coworkers with a bright smile on her face and a cup of coffee in her hands.

“Morning Miss Choi…”

Lia walks to her office and surprised to see someone is already in there.

“You’re late.”

“Pardon…who are you?”

The person who seated on her chair turns around to reveal herself and upon seeing that person’s face Lia almost dropped her coffee as she squeals in happiness “Yeji!!”

Hwang Yeji is Lia’s high school best friend, they both went separate way after high school and it’s been a while since Lia saw Yeji.

“What are you doing here?!” Lia asked her best friend.

“Well…”

“Yeji is going to help me run this company.” A voice cut Yeji before she could explain.

Lia turns around and it was her boss standing outside her office with a big smile on her face and arms crossed.

“Unnie!” Yeji greets the older woman.

“Unnie?” Lia raises an eyebrow.

“Oh! Sorry Lia, though we’ve been friends for years, I never told you about my cousin. Sinb unnie this is Lia…”

“I know she’s Lia, I just didn’t know that you two know each other until after I offered my cousin to work here, and the moment that I told her about you, she was so surprised!” Said Sinb.

“What a small world.” Replied Lia.

Yeji smiles at her cousin and then she turns to Lia. She hugs Lia tightly as if the girl is going to run away again.

“We have a lot to catch you! How about we have lunch date together later?” Yeji suggested.

Lia was about to agree to the lunch date but then she remembered that she got a meeting with her future partner. Her smiles faded when she remembers the arranged marriage. She shakes her head and decline her best friend’s offer.

“I got a date later, I afraid I can’t. Maybe some other time.”

“Oh! Who is it??”

“I’ll tell you if it’s going well~” Said Lia.

Lia was interrupted by her phone ringing, she excuses herself and pick up the call.

“Lia-ah!!”

“Jennie unnie, what is it?”

“Lia! I need your help!”

It was her cousin, Jennie Kim, she is a fashion designer, after a few years struggle to get her foot into the fashion world, she managed to made her name known.

“Unnie calm down, what happened?” Lia tries to calm her cousin down.

“It’s a disaster! I told Jisoo unnie and Lisa that it’s not going to work but they insisted! I need your help Lia! Can you come over to my fashion show venue?”

Lia looks at her watch and it’s already 10.30 a.m. she was hoping that she will not be late to her date but she knows how desperate her cousin is because this will be her first fashion show as a fashion designer.

“Alright, send me the location, I’ll go there.” Lia hangs up and she turns to her boss and her best friends.

“Your cousin again huh?” Sinb asked.

Lia sighs and she nods “I need to help her.”

Sinb had her arms crossed “You can go, but I still need the report on my table by tomorrow morning.”

Lia smiles and she gathers all her things and bids her boss goodbye. Sinb and Yeji watched Lia hurriedly exit the office and then they stare at each other.

“So…when are you going to confess your feeling?” Sinb cousin.

“What?! No! I told you I agreed to work with you because I need the experience before I help mom runs her company.” Yeji denied her cousin’s words but her red cheeks give it away.

“You may be good in everything except for lying…I can see right through you.” Said Sinb as she elbowed her cousin.

***

YG Art Gallery

Jennie Kim is on the verge of crying as everything unfold before her. Her older sister, Jisoo and her girlfriend Lalisa Manoban decided to make a stunt pose for their runway but then mishap happened and Lisa broke her leg and has to be rushed to the hospital and Jisoo nose could not stop bleeding.

Lia reached the location and she was shocked to see the mess in front her. “How did all this happened?” she asked.

Jennie who saw her cousin approaching her gets up from her seats and runs toward her cousin. “Thank goodness you’re here!”

“How did all this happened?” Lia repeats herself again.

Jennie bawls out at Lia and Lia could not comprehend what Jennie is bawling about, she only could nod along and gently pats Jennie to calm her down.

Once Jennie calmed down, Lia was able to go around and asked the staffs what happened. When she heard their explanation, there is nothing that Lia can say. She knows how eccentric her older cousin Jisoo can be and not to mentioned, when she is paired with Jennie’s girlfriend, it gets worse. Lia thanks the staffs for keeping things under control and then she went back to her cousin.

“What was Jisoo unnie thinking when she decided to do that stunt?”

“She is an idiot, so is Lisa.” Sobbed Jennie.

Lia sighs and she looks at the corner of the room where her older cousin is laying. “So what are we going to do now?”

“I need you to walk on the runway.” Said Jennie.

“Okay…” Lia answers without thinking until she rewinds what Jennie had said. “Wait, what? You want me to walk on the runway? I can’t!”

“Why can’t?! You have the looks you have the body! Well, maybe you’re lack on the height department but you’re perfect for my theme!”

Lia blushes at the compliment, as much as she wanted to help her cousin, she needs to get ready for her date. Lia looks at her watch and then to her cousin and back to her watch again.

“Please Lia…you know what this event meant to me…” Jennie begs.

“You know I hates the crowd, what if I have panic attack when I walk down the runway?” Lia tries to make excuses.

“I’ll walk with you!”

“Can’t you just hire extra model for the walk?”

“Lia, we ain’t go times for that, and your body measurement is close to Jisoo unnie’s measurement. Please, I’ll give you anything you want if you help me for this time!”

Jennie gets up and she kneels in front of Lia to beg her. Lia quickly asks Jennie to get up, Jennie was older than her and it’s not appropriate for an older person to beg a younger person. Lia does not want to disappoint her cousin, so she reluctantly agrees to help her cousin. Which mean she had to cancel her date that day and change to the other day.

Lia takes out her phone and called the restaurant where her father had set up the date and requested the restaurant to leave a message for her date that she had something coming up and could not be there.

Jennie who overheard the conversation snatch the phone away from Lia and tells the restaurant to tell her cousin date that the venue had change to YG gallery.

“Why did you do that?” Lia asked, and she was a little annoyed that her cousin did not asked for her permission to change the date venue.

“I did not know that you have a date today, why didn’t you just told me that you have a date? I won’t force you to be here if you can’t.”

“Do I have a choice? You were having a breakdown. And you know that I always put my family first.” Lia replied.

“Who was your date?” Jennie asked.

“I don’t know…”

“You…don’t know? Why would you go on a date with someone that you don’t know? And I just invited that person to come to this show, and yet we don’t know who that person is!”

“Well, I didn’t ask you to invite her to come now didn’t I? I was just going to change the date to some other day and yet you snatch my phone and decided to invite that person to come her. Father set me up for it, he said it’s my time to get married.”

Jennie pouts at her cousin’s stark remark. Lia smiles at her cousin, she did not mean to hurt her, in fact she was glad that she can postpone the date to other day, and since she does not know who her date was, that means she will now know which one of the guests that are coming in to the show is her date. She was relieved.

“How about we get fits in to the dresses?” Lia suggests.

“Oh right! Well before that, Horace, Horace can you send this invitation pass to the Palace Dining? And tell them to give it to…who made the reservation?” Jennie asks Lia.

“Under the Choi’s name.”

***

2 PM – The Palace Dining Restaurant

Ryujin reached the place that her father arranged. She can see the paparazzi outside of the restaurant readied to take her pictures. She puts on her sun shade and hurriedly walks into the restaurant. She greets the receptionist.

“Hi, reservation under the name Choi.”

The receptionist was going to answers Ryujin rudely because she sees that Ryujin does not dress properly for restaurant standard, that was until she saw Ryujin’s face and she gasps.

“You…your…your…royal highness!” She agapes when she greets Ryujin and she quickly curtsy at her.

Ryujin dismisses the receptionist curtsy and she asks the receptionist just treat her normally. The receptionist bows once again before she checked on the reservation list.

“Oh…umm, I’m sorry your royal highness…seems like your date changed the venue.”

“Change the venue?”

“Yes…here’s the envelope that they left for you.” The receptionist hands Ryujin the envelope.

Ryujin opens the envelope. She frowns for a second until she saw the guest list underneath the invitation pass. Irene Bae name is listed in the guest list. She thanked the receptionist and proceed exit the restaurant.

***

Lia walks out from the fitting room and she hears all the gasps and awes that people let out upon seeing her in the beautiful white dresses. People compliments her and say that she looks like an angel.

“You look so good! You look better in it compared to me!” said her older cousin Jisoo.

“Thanks…” Lia blushes.

Jennie comes out from her fitting rooms and when she catches a glimpse of Lia, she gasps “Oh my god! Look at you!”

“Stop it unnie! You’re making me blush!”

“You know I’m glad that the accident happened today.”

“Oii!” Jisoo shouts at the side “Your girlfriend broke her leg, and your sister almost broke her nose! Why are you glad?”

Jennie blows burberry at her older sister and she turns to her models and teams “Okay guys, we only got 10 mins left before the event, let’s hurdle!”

Everyone hurdle around Jennie and they let out their motivation cheers and ended it with a big hooray before everyone go back to their own station. Lia looks nervous because she never walks down any runway before, she had been to fashion show with her cousin but she never walks on one before. Jennie went over to Lia and gently squeeze her hand to encourage her. Lia smiles and squeeze her cousin hand back.

***

Ryujin reached the building and she shows her pass to the guard when the security stops her. She was so used to be granted access to anywhere she wanted to go because she is the crowned princess, it was the first time that no one recognizes her. She sees that the security is a foreigner so she dismisses the rudeness.

Once she enters the venue, she looks around for the person that she wants to meet. She saw her, sitting among the VIP on the first row. She walks toward the row, with a huge grin on her face, but as she was getting nearer, she was stopped by the securities.

“Sorry, front row is only for the VVIP.” Said one of the security.

“Well…I don’t think no one else in this room is more VVIP than I am.” Ryujin replied arrogantly in her perfect English.

“I am sorry Miss but your pass is only for ordinary guest, I’m afraid you can’t sit at the VIP seats, please go to your designated area.” Said the other security.

Ryujin was not having any of it, all she wanted is to sit with Irene and yet these idiots do not know who she is. The commotion caught the attention of the guests, and Irene as well. Irene gasps when she saw Ryujin.

One of the security grabs Ryujin’s arm in attempt to drag her out from the VIP area. Irene who saw it immediately gets up and rush toward Ryujin. She pushes the security away and grabs Ryujin.

“Get your hands of her!” Irene warns.

Ryujin was touched when Irene came to her rescue.

“We’re sorry ma’am but she does not belong here.” Said the guard.

“Don’t you know who she is?” Irene questioned the securities.

“…”

“She is Shin Ryujin, the crown princess of this country, and this is how you treated her?” Irene spills the tea and everyone in the area gasps at the revelation.

“Pppprincess?”

Ryujin pries her arm from the security and straightened her suit “The Princess.” She corrected the guard.

Everyone around gets up and they all bows to the princess. Ryujin asks them to dismiss the formality. The securities apologize profusely. Ryujin dismisses them and she request if she can be seated next to Irene and the Securities and event manager who came out to check on the commotion immediately prepare a new seat for the princess.

“What are you doing here?” Irene asks.

“I was invited.” Ryujin replied with a huge grin on her face, the embarrassment from the previous commotion had left her mind when she sees her lover face and being beside her.

Ryujin tries to reach for Irene’s hand but Irene refuses to give Ryujin her hand.

“There are eyes everywhere Jinie.” She whispered.

Ryujin pouted and she shoved her hand in her coat’s pocket. Irene could not help but to find that the princess is so cute. She tries to control the urge to pinch the princess’s chubby cheeks by pretending to read the agenda.

***

Jennie was informed by the commotion outside and even though her event manager told her that everything is under control, she could not stop herself from worrying about her event.

“Jennie unnie, your face looks pale.”

“Having the cold feet I guess.” Jisoo replied.

“The crowned princess is here.” Jennie mumbled.

“Huh?” Jisoo and Lia exchange look.

“The Crowned Royal Princess is here! I don’t remember inviting the royal family to come! I did invited Irene, the wife of the Seongbuk-dong Duchess. What is the princess doing here?”

Then the realization then hits the three cousins. The only reason the princess would be here is she is Lia’s date. Lia almost lost her balance when she realized. Jisoo could keep shut and Jennie is loss of words.

“Dad was trying to set me up with the princess.” Said Lia to herself in disbelieve.

“I can’t believe that my little cousin is going on a date with the princess.” Said Jisoo and Jennie in unison.

The even manager came in and shouted “Show will start in 5!! Everyone get ready!!”

“Jennie unnie I don’t think I can do this!”

“What?! You can’t back out last minute!!”

“My date is out there! I can’t!”

“This is a good chance for you to make her fall for you!” Jisoo said to back her little sister up.

“I…”

“Come on sis! We’re on this together okay?”

“I…”

“Come one Lia! You’ve always admire the princess right, and she is right out there, this is the time for you to impress her!”

Jennie was right, Lia did have a crush on the princess, she collected every magazine with the princess photos in it, and she could not believe that her father actually set her up with the princess. She was over the moon but she was scared that she messed up too. She tends to be clumsy whenever she is nervous, and she does not want to ruin her cousin’s show.

Jisoo and Jennie exchanges look and they at the same time puts their hand on Lia’s shoulder. “You will be fine.”

Lia thanks her cousins for the encouragement and she stands up with confidence. “Let’s do this!”

***

The lights begin to dim and everyone slowly silent down. The spotlights all focus on the stage entrance and electronic music starts to play as the models walk out one by one. The MC introduces the dresses that they are wearing and the motive behind the design.

Irene was mesmerized by the dresses design, while Ryujin was getting a little bored. She is not a big fan of fashion, but she had to act like she is enjoying the show because all the cameras were on her as well. She knows she has a lot to answer her father when the news came out and she was captured together with Irene. However, she does not care about it, as long as she gets to spend more time with Irene.

The music suddenly slowed down and the light once again dimmed. Blackpink Pretty Savage start to play and the smoke machine on stage start to releasing white gassy that filled the stage, making it looks like the whole stage is on the cloud.

Jennie and Lia walks out from the entrance with grace and confidence as they catwalk down the runway. Lia tries to put on her poker face and her beauty captures the camera attention. The reporters and critics camera all turns to Lia and the shutters sound clicked nonstop. Light flashing light lightning and Lia was not even bothered by it. The reporters and fashion critics are not the only people that got enchanted by Lia’s beauty. The crowned princess also gets caught in her beauty.

Ryujin could not take her eyes away from Lia’s beauty and Lia’s body. She was almost drooling when her eyes catch the glimpse of Lia.

“Who is she?” Irene whispers.

“I don’t know but she is beautiful.” Ryujin replied.

Irene turns to look at Ryujin and she gets a little jealous when she noticed the look on Ryujin’s face. She ignores Ryujin and focus back on the runway.

As Lia makes her grand turn at the end of the runway, her eyes accidentally met with Ryujin’s gaze. She almost loses her balance and luckily Jennie noticed it and she immediately grabs her cousin. Lia makes an eye contact with her cousin and mouthed thank you.

The fashion show ended successfully and people applaud Jennie for her amazing design. Jennie told all of her guests that they are all invited to attend the after party at the building hall. All of the guests went to the venue except for Ryujin.

“You’re not coming?” Irene asked.

“Uh…” Ryujin pauses and she looks at her phone and it’s almost 6pm, she looks up to Irene who is waiting for her to join her. “I got something that I need to do, you go. I’ll see you when I see you.”

Irene smiles and she bids Ryujin goodbye before she exited the place. Ryujin gets up and she looks around. She tries to call her sister Yuna but Yuna did not answer until the 4th call.

“This have to be so urgent that you called me for so many times.” Yuna said when she answered the call.

“Finally! I thought you were dead!”

“How rude! I taking my shower!” Yuna fires back at her sister.

“Can you send me the picture of this Choi person.”

“Her name is Julia Choi, not Choi person! I thought you were going on a date with her at 2?”

“Well the date was cancelled, she apparently has something else to do, so I didn’t get to meet her, but I want to see how she looks like. Can you send me?”

“Cancel? She cancelled you?”

“Stop asking question Yuna, just send me her picture please.”

Yuna can be heard grunting on the other side of the phone “One moment.”

After a few seconds, a notifications appear on Ryujin’s phone. She thanked her sister and hang up. She opens up the notifications and download the photo. She smiles when she sees the photo.

“So it was you huh.” She said to herself.

***

“Unnie, can you handle the after party? I need to go to go to the hospital to check on Lisa.”

“But, you’re the designer!”

“I know but…you know the drill unnie.”

Jisoo sighs because she knows Lisa means the world to Jennie so she let her sister go. Jisoo turns around to look for Lia but she could not find her. She texted her cousin to tell her that she waits for her at the party.

***

Lia was in the changing room getting change. She was oblivious to her surroundings. When she finishes changing, she exits the fitting room and was surprised that no one is there.

“Hello.”

Lia jumps when she heard someone greeted her. She turns around and when she saw the princess standing in front of her, her impulse reflex causes her to bump to the clothes hanger and then knocked he head on the cabinet when she tries to hide away from the princess and she ended up on the floor.

Ryujin had sneaks into the backstage when she wanted to try and meet with Lia. Initially she waited outside, wanting to catch Lia when she exited but when she sees that everyone had exited and there was no sign of Lia, she sneaked in.

The moment she sneaks in she saw Lia walks out from the fitting room and once again she was mesmerized by Lia’s beauty. She did not mean to surprised her like that but seeing the clumsy side of Lia made Ryujin let out a little laugh.

“I am so sorry, did I startled you?”

“Your…your royal highness!” Lia clumsily greets the princess.

“Oh, there’s no need for you to be so formal around me. Just call me Ryujin.” Ryujin offers a handshake but Lia was too immersed in appreciating the princess’s charm that she forgot to take the princess’s hand.

Ryujin smiles softly at Lia and she gently reaches for Lia’s hand and pulls her up from the ground. Lia froze when she feels the warmth of the princess’s hand on her hand. Once Ryujin make sure that Lia is up, she dusts her off.

“You okay?” Ryujin asked again.

When their eyes met again, Lia finally snaps out from her shock state and she bows to apologize to the princess for being rude.

“You don’t have to be so polite.”

“I mean you…you’re the royal princess…”

Ryujin laughs it off “You’re cute. I just got the info that you were my date, Miss Julia.”

“Uh…I… I am so sorry that I had to cancel our date this afternoon, I had to help my cousin with her event…if I knew that my date was the princess, I would never…”

Ryujin shushes Lia with her hand on her lips and the closeness between them makes Lia hearts beat faster. She suddenly feels lightheaded and losing her balance. Ryujin saw that Lia is losing her footing, she quickly grabs Lia by the waist and pull her closer.

“You don’t have to be sorry for canceling the date, because you slay on the runway earlier. How about we continue our date, now?” Ryujin suggests.

Ryujin’s deep voice almost sound like a lullaby to Lia’s ear. Lia nods to Ryujin invitation and Ryujin slowly let go of her and when both of them gets into a safe distance, Lia quickly turns around and slaps herself on the face to make sure that she is not dreaming.

Ryujin was baffled by Lia’s act of suddenly slapping herself. This is actually the first time that she is interested in someone else who is not Irene. Irene is beautiful no doubt, and Irene is very alluring, maybe her mature energy is what makes Ryujin falling head over heels. However, with Lia, there is something that makes Ryujin want to get to know her better.

“Let me, umm…fix my ugh make up first.” Lia said to the princess.

“Sure, take your time.”

Ryujin went to one of the makeup table and she pulls out the chair to sit while waiting for Lia to fix her makeup. The side view of Lia’s face makes Ryujin’s heart flutter, she takes out her phone and stealthily took a picture or Lia.

“You know you could ask if you want to take my picture.” Said Lia when she noticed that the princess is taking her picture.

“Oh…I thought you wouldn’t know. Well, since I am caught red handed, may I take a picture of you?”

Lia apply her lip balms and then she turns to Ryujin abruptly, and she poses with a pouty lip. Ryujin laughs at Lia’s poses but she does not stop taking her pictures. The two of them were having fun with photo taking sessions. The two of them only stops when the security comes in to turns off the lights.

“Oh shoot! We weren’t supposed to be here at this hour!” Said Lia.

Ryujin grabs Lia’s hand and Lia’s jacket and the two of them dashes out from the backstage.

“Hey! Stop there hey!!” the security tries to stop them but failed when he tripped of his own foot.

Lia was worried at first but when she sees how Ryujin laughs merrily she joins in the joy. The two of them runs out from the building but they were surprised by the rain. Ryujin leads them to the restaurant opposite the YG building to take shelter from the rain.

“Wow! It’s been a while since I had such fun!” Ryujin exclaims.

“Me too!”

Ryujin turns to Lia and she can see right through Lia’s shirt. Lia was wearing a white shirt and because of the rain, she is soaked and the cloth become see through. Ryujin quickly takes the coat that she was carrying and cover Lia with it.

Lia was perplexed at first until she realized that state that she was in. “I’m so sorry you have to see me in this state!”

“Oh, no no, it was my fault that we dashed in the rain.”

Ryujin looks inside the restaurant, it was a run-down ramen restaurant and seeing that nobody is inside, Ryujin asks if Lia wanted to go inside and have some food together. Ryujin had skipped her lunch earlier and she somewhat knows that Lia is the same as she is.

Lia nods and they both walk in the run-down restaurant.

“Welcome…omo!” the restaurant owner was surprised to see the two ladies were soaking wet and when she handed them a clean towel to dry themselves off, she caught a glimpse of Ryujin’s face and she immediately kneeled down and bow her head.

“Your royal highness!”

“Oh! No Ahjumma, please don’t…please get up…”

“I am very grateful and honored that your royal highness willing to come to my run-down restaurant. Is there any reason why your highness chosen my little restaurant?”

Ryujin was about to answer that she and Lia were just finding a place to take shelter but Lia stops Ryujin “Her royal highness heard a lot of story about your restaurant and coincidentally, we pass by so she decided to stop by to have a try.”

Ryujin looks at Lia at awe, after she realized why Lia had said so to the old lady. She looks around the shop and she saw all of the old newspaper cut on the restaurant walls. The old lady asked them to sit while she whips something up to for them.

“Why did you said what you said earlier?” Ryujin asked.

Lia smiles and she replies “This place was very famous in the early 90s and 2000s, but ever since the husband died, and the kids all grow up, they refused to help their mother to run this shop. When the old lady bowed down to you, I can see it in her eyes how much she missed having a customer in her restaurant. You’re probably going to tell her that you were just wanted to take shelter in her shop, but…by telling her that you heard about her restaurant probably will gives her more reason to continue fighting.”

“How did you know about her story?”

Lia smiles as she pours the hot green tea for them both. “Well, I used to come here to eat, then after I graduated high school, I moved to Canada to further my study. During that time, it was just me and my cousin that came here. When I moved to Canada, I bid my farewell and she cried. She told me, that my cousins and I were her only customer, after the government built YG building, her business went downhill.”

“Then why can’t she just sell her shop and open elsewhere?”

“This shop is the only thing that her husband left for her.”

“Oh…”

“Hot Tonkotsu Ramen coming!” the old lady interrupted the duo and she serves them their ramen.

“Wow…this smell so good.” Ryujin exclaims when she smells the ramen.

“Please enjoy your food!” Just as the old lady was about to turn to leave the couple, she turns back and stares at Lia “I am sorry, but you really resemble someone who I knew, that kid probably is thriving at whatever she does now. Oh my my, how much you look like her.”

Lia smiles at the old lady and she says “Maybe we ever met before ahjumma.”

“Maybe, maybe…well enjoy your noodles while it’s hot dear.”

“Thanks for the meal!!”

Lia notices that Ryujin is staring at her, she looks up and asks Ryujin why she keeps staring at her.

“Oh…I just found that you’re astonishing.”

“I am honored that it came from the royal princess’s lips.” Lia jokes.

“But why didn’t you just tell the ahjumma that you were the girl who used to come here all the time?”

“Hmm, sometimes, something is better left undisclosed.”

Ryujin chuckles and she starts eat her ramen. The taste of the ramen surprised the princess, it was her first time to taste something like this. Not even the best palace’s menu can challenge the taste of the ramen.

“Wow! This is seriously good!”

“Glad you like it.”

“But honestly, this isn’t the best first date meal you know.” Said Ryujin when she noticed that Lia had splashed the soup all over the corner of .

“Huh?”

Ryujin smiles and she uses her thumb to wipe the corner of Lia’s lips, which causes the latter to startled. “You eat like a child.”

“Sorry.” Lia apologized and she blushes.

“You don’t have too, I like the view.”

“Of me eating sloppily?”

“Yeah.”

“Your highness, we’ve only just met and you flirted with me like this, does this mean that you flirted with all the girls you met?”

“Oh…no, I don’t go out on dates with random people. Only today that I agreed with my father to go on an arranged date with you.”

“What makes you agreed to come?” Lia questions the princess. She is curious on why the princess agreed to go on arranged date with someone like her.

“You’re asking me? What about you?” Ryujin questions back.

“Ah…me, well…my father said he arranged a date for me, and he told me that I’m going to meet with my future partner, I was reluctant at first but he is my father, so I try to be the dutiful daughter. But I will be honest with you, I did not know that my date is the Princess of Seoul. Now you’ve heard my side of the story how about you princess?”

“Same situation, the only difference is I was told that this is my duty to the country. Funny isn’t it. I could have all that I want but I can’t choose my own life partner.” Sighed the Princess.

Lia was hurt by what the princess had said, does that mean the princess did not like her. If the princess does not like her, then why did the princess agreed to went on a date with her right now?

Ryujin notices the changes in Lia’s expression, she quickly retraces back what she had said that causes the girl to change expressions then she realized that what she said might have hurt Lia. “Oh, I’m not saying that I don’t have the freedom to choose my own partner as an insult to you. I like you, I mean yeah we just met, but I can feel the connection between us. I’m glad that you are my date, and I’m glad that my father had chosen you. I do hope we can continue our relationship.”

Lia feels relieved after Ryujin reassures her, she smiles and she put down her chopstick and takes out her phone “In that case…can we exchange contact?”

Ryujin gladly takes out her phone and save Lia’s contact in her phone. She sees that the time is getting late, and she offers to drive Lia back home. Lia wanted to reject and said that she can go home herself, but this is a great opportunity for her to get to know the princess more, so she decided to accept the ride home.

Ryujin went on to pay for their dinner, though there had been a little argument as who to pay. Lia insisted that she pay for their dinner since she had to cancel their lunch but Ryujin said she wanted to pay for it. After a moment of argument, Ryujin finally won the argument and she paid for their dinner.

The old lady thanked the princess for coming in to her old shop. Lia suggests that they take a photo with the old lady, so the old lady can brag about the royal princess ate at her restaurant.

“And it’s also can be a way for ahjumma to boost her business.” Said Lia.

Ryujin nods “I like your idea.”

Ryujin takes out her phone and snaps a photo with the restaurant owner. The three of them grins at the camera and Ryujin took the photo.

“Ahjumma, I will get this printed and sign, and I’ll arrange someone to send it over to you once it’s ready, then you can hang the photo in your shop.”

“Oh my…thank you so much your highness, thank you so much.” The old lady thanked Ryujin and she goes in for a hug. Ryujin does not know how to react to the hug but she does hug back and without her knowing it, Lia was secretly taking her picture.

The two bids the old lady good bye. The night is a bit chilly after the rain earlier. They walked abreast back to the YG building. Ryujin leads them to the back of the building where she parked her car.

“So the crowned princess drives her owned car?” Said Lia.

“Yeah, but I prefer to drive myself. So where do you lived?”

“Gangnam District.”

“Ooh, rich people area.” Said the princess.

Lia laughs at the princess remark and she replies back “Said the person who lived in the most expensive place in the whole country. Anyway, thanks for sending me back home. I really appreciate it.”

“You’re welcome.”

***

Choi Residence

Jennie peeks from behind the blinders when she heard car stops by the drive way. She was joined by her aunt and both giggle when they saw Lia comes out from the Black Rolls Royce Phantom.

“Looks like the date went well, look at the smile on Lia’s face!” Said Jennie excitedly.

“It’s been a while since I see Lia smiles like that.”

***

“I’ll get the door for you.”

“No, you don’t have too, I…” before Lia could finish her sentences, the princess goes out and went to the passenger side to open the door for Lia.

“You know we royal live by chivalry rules, so let me do the honor.” Said Ryujin as she offers her hand to Lia.

Lia gladly accepts Ryujin’s hand and she gracefully steps out from the car. Ryujin reaches for Lia’s jacket that she forgot to take with her and she wraps it around Lia.

“Better take a warm shower once you get inside.”

“You too.”

Ryujin was reluctant to say goodbye, it was the first time that she feels comfortable with someone else. The two of them spent a moment of silent standing outside of Lia’s house. No one wants to move that was until Lia heard someone calls for her.

“Lia honey! Are you coming in? Do you want to invite your date come in as well? It’s cold outside.”

It was her mother, calling for her. Lia blushes when she saw her cousin is with her mother and she knows her cousin will . She turns to Ryujin and invites the princess in but the princess politely decline.

“It’s okay, I’ll see you around. I need to go back you know, and it’s late now, I don’t want to bother your family.”

“Okay…so I’ll see you around.”

“Yeah…I’ll see you around.”

“Good night Miss Julia.”

Lia pauses for a moment, she is not used to someone call her by her full English name, even her maids did not call her by her full English name.

“Call me Lia please. Just Lia.”

“Lia huh…”

“Yes, everyone around me call me that.”

“So am I considered as your friend now Lia?” Ryujin teases the latter.

“I am honored to have the princess as my friend. Good night now…Princess Ryujin.”

“I forbid you to call me with the princess title. You are my friend now, so call me Ryujin.”

“…Ryujin.”

“That’s more like it.” Said Ryujin.

“Good night Ryujin.”

“Good night.”

Lia slowly turns away from Ryujin and she takes a step toward her house. She was hoping something like the funny romcom that she always watches would happen at the moment. She was hoping Ryujin would stop her but Ryujin did not stop her at all. She reaches her door step and she turns back, and she was delighted that Ryujin was still there waiting for her to go inside her house. She waves at Ryujin and Ryujin waves back.

“You should go!” Lia shouts at Ryujin because she’s afraid Ryujin could not hear her.

“I’ll go after I see you enter your house safely!”

Lia waves at Ryujin and she quickly enter her house because she did not want Ryujin to wait for her longer. Once Ryujin sees Lia safely enter her house, she enters her car and drives away.

Lia was greeted by her mother and cousin. They look at her with a huge grin on their face.

“Someone had a huge crush on the princess and she got a change to go out with her today.” Jennie younger cousin.

“Stop it.”

“So how was your date?” Lia’s mother asked.

“Why didn’t you tell me that daddy was setting me up with the princess?” Lia asks her mother.

***

Son Residence

Wendy Son Seungwan, the Duchess of Seongbuk-dong just came back from her long day of official work. Her servants asked if she wanted to have dinner, Wendy kindly rejects and told her that she wanted to rest and dismissed all of her servants and maids. She walks to her bedroom, wanting to have a hot shower and then rest. After wearing heels for whole day, her feet are so sore that she can barely walk straight.

When she enters her room, she was surprised to see her ‘wife’ in there. She ignores her wife and went to the closet to take off her coat and get change to bathing robe. She takes the fresh new towel that is nicely folded at the corner of the cabinet and proceed to go to the bathroom but Irene stops her.

“Aren’t you going to greet your wife?”

Wendy keeps silent, Irene might be her wife but Irene’s heart does not belong to her. She tried her best to give Irene whatever she wants but she still could not satisfy Irene. They had a talked last week about how they should fix their marriage. Wendy knew that Irene only agree to fix their marriage because it was the request from Irene’s parents and not Irene’s will. And today, she saw it all over the news that her wife attended the fashion show with her cousin’s Ryujin.

Wendy is sick of the relationship between her wife and her cousin, but she got nothing to say. Her uncle wanted her to marry Irene because he hoped it can separate Irene and Ryujin. However, Irene and Ryujin continues to see each other behind their back. Wendy caught them together before but she said nothing. Seeing all the reports about her cousin and her wife at the fashion show today made her blood boils but she tries to keep her cool.

“I’m tired, I just want to take my bath and sleep.” Wendy finally replies her wife.

Irene dismisses Wendy and she continues with her skincare routine. However, she notices there was something different about her wife today. Normally, Wendy will greet her no matter how tired she is. After finishes applying her night cream, Irene check on her phone and she noticed all the buzz.

“The Crown Princess Seen Hanging Out with an Old Fling?”

Irene figures that this could be the reason why Wendy is acting weird toward her tonight. Despite that they both are forced to be married by both side of the family and there was no love between them at first but after being married to Wendy for a year, Irene finds that Wendy is quite a charming person.

There are so many times, she had to question her loyalty. She loves Ryujin, there is not dope of it, but if Ryujin wanted her to divorce Wendy, she doesn’t think that she can do it. She is afraid that she had fallen in love with her wife. However, when she saw how Ryujin looked at the model earlier in the fashion show, she felt jealous, so she is sure that she is still in love with Ryujin.

Wendy gets out from the bathroom drying her hair with the towel. The couple exchange gazes before Wendy walks past Irene to gets on her own dressing table and dry her hair.

“I can help you to dry your hair.” Irene offers herself.

“I can do it myself.” Wendy replies drily.

“Why are you acting like a sulking child today?” Irene finally snaps at her wife.

“Look, I am tired.”

Irene could not tolerate with Wendy’s attitude any longer so she decided to go to bed and sleep. Wendy watches through the mirror that her wife climbs on the bed. Wendy sighs and continues to dry her hair.

***

Seoul Royal Palace

Ryujin reached the palace, she parked her car at the entrance and handed her key to the butler. She was on cloud nine when she walks into the palace, that was until she saw her parents standing by the stairs with their arms crossed.

“I went on with the date with the girl that you chose for me and I liked her.” Ryujin reports to her parents.

“That is not the problem Ryujin…this is the problem.” Said the Queen as she shoved the tablet to Ryujin’s face.

Ryujin reads the tabloid title and she scoffs “You honestly believed in this bull? Yes, I did go to the fashion show, but I didn’t go there with her, I just bumped to her there. I was there for Lia.”

“Stop lying to us Ryujin, I arrange for you to meet with Julia Choi at the restaurant not at the fashion show.”

Ryujin was getting none of her parents’ nonsense, she takes out her phone and show her the picture that she took with Lia. “Here’s the proof! I did go out with Julia. Something came up and she couldn’t come to the arranged lunch date, so she asked me to go to the fashion show, and coincidentally I met Irene there okay.”

The King and Queen managed to calm herself down after they saw the photo that Ryujin took with Lia. “You need to clean up this mess tomorrow Ryujin. The tabloid is going to tarnish the royal family’s image.”

“I don’t think there is an explanation to do, just in laws attending a fashion show together.” Ryujin replies her father.

The King was speechless but he tries to control his emotion and then he asks Ryujin of her opinion on Lia.

“She’s a good girl. I like her.” Ryujin replied hastily and she continues to walk to her room.

“Then will you marry her?” her father question made her stops on her track. She turns to her father with a blank look on her face.

“I just met her once.”

“I give you 6 months Ryujin. By then whether you like it or not, you still have to marry her.” Said the King to his daughter.

Ryujin ignores her father and continues to walk to her room. Queen Naeun sighs and she looks at her husband. The King looks at his wife and he frowns at her “She gets her attitude from you.”

“She is your daughter and she gets her attitude from you!” Naeun retaliates.

***

Ryujin lays on her bed with empty thoughts in her head. 6 months is not a long time, she admits that she feels the attraction between Lia and her but she knows it is not love. She is scared that she might hurt Lia if Lia ended up falling for her.

She takes out her phone and ready to dial Irene’s phone but then she stops. When she saw the messages from Lia asking if she reached home safely. Ryujin smiles and she replies the message. The thoughts of calling Irene for advices is gone and now she is scrolling the picture that she took of Lia. Lia is so beautiful in Ryujin’s eyes, the way that Lia’s smiles made Ryujin’s heart flutters.

“Maybe if I try…I can forget about Irene…” Ryujin thought to herself.