A Cataclysmic Event

The Road
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Red Velvet Hotel, Daegu

Light rays passed through the curtain slits of the semi- dark room.

The prone body on top of the bed remained unmoved by its lights.

Tired and sleepy the worn out figure tried to get some more sleep.

Whir.... Whir... whooosshhhhhhh....

But the sound of planes reverbed in the room.

'Right... this hotel is just right next to the airport.' she thought. Still, she tried to cover her ears with pillows to mute the noise. But it also turned out to be useless when another noise echoed in the room. It was her smartphone device. 

RIng... ring... bzzt...bzzt...
Gajang areumdaun sesangeun  ..... my love is like water .... Ne apeun goseul chaeun------

"Uhh, hello?" 

The person lying on the bed groggily spoke over the phone. She rubbed her eyes and saw it was a video call from Irene, her fiancee'.

Still feeling weary and heavy, she barely moved from the bed.

"Am I your wake up call?" Irene said as she narrowed her eyes over her worn-out looking fiance'. It seems like Wendy was still in her work attire and did not even bother removing her light make up before she slept.

"Uhm... I was just uhh..uhm.. lying down after eating breakfast babe" Wendy said, trying to cover up her state. She doesn't want Irene to know yet how badly she messed up last night's dinner.

"Yeah, I don't think so. You look like , babe." Irene said, concerned. 

Leave it to Irene to tell her how she exactly feels. Her fiancee' reads her so well because she's the person who knows her better than anyone else, even more than her parents.

Irene sighed. She knows that Wendy is still hesitant to tell her what had happened the night before. "You are taking the plane home right? What time is your flight babe?"

"Uh.. soon? Yeah soon.. what time is it anyway?" Wendy replied still feeling very much disoriented.

"It's already 8:00 in the morning."

"Okay.. wait, what?! I have a flight in 30 mins!" Wendy was suddenly alerted, knowing that she was supposed to check in 2 hrs. ago.

She put her phone on top of the table as she gathered and fix her things. She needs to at least clean herself after skipping a bath last night.

"So... mama Tiffany just called... "Irene continued as she watched her lover rush on fixing herself up.

"Okay..?... uhm, so what did she say?" asked Wendy, her big eyes widening as she tries to act clueless. 

Irene playfully rolled her eyes, knowing exactly what Wendy was doing. She looked cute though.

"What did you think she said Wannie?" 

"Uhm... I guess I'm about to lose my spot as her favorite daughter- in- law to-be? (nervous chuckles).. look babe, i'm so sorry about what had happened...okay (sighs) Your mommy Taeyeon just makes me feel things... and they're not good. She was on me that second I got there... I felt like I couldn't breathe in the same room as her... and.. and.. if I asked for their blessing last night, I'm sure your mom would've said no... so I didn't "

Wendy explained sounding very apologetic to her fiancee'. But she also wants Irene to know that it wasn't an equal playing field right from the beginning. Taeyeon was out to get her all thoughout dinner.

"Babe, my mama asked you to leave," Irene rebutted.

"No.. no... it wasn't like that babe... it was unintentional.." Wendy knows she sounds like she's just spitting out pathetic excuses right now but she doesn't want Irene to think that she wasn't on her best behavior. She tried. But then dinner happend and she ed it all up. 

"Just.. just call my mama before you leave okay, you know how much she adores you babe." Irene pleaded to her lover. 

"Same. I promise I will, just let me get to the airport first.. I'm running really late babe." Wendy said coming fresh from the bathroom and now wearing her comfortable dark jeans, white top and a blue denim jacket.

Irene stared at her fresh looking lover. Blue had always looked good on her Wendy. It was only a day but she cannot deny how much she longed to be in her arms again. Maybe it's just her hormones and the little peanut growing in her womb.

She unconsciously touched her belly. 'Your mommy didn't succeed from getting your grandmoms permission, but we'll try again next time sweetie. I know you mommy will not give up.'

"Okay, fine. Just call me when you get to the airport babe." Irene replied, looking forward to see Wendy in a few hours.

"I will, I gotta go---

*cracking sound over the phone*

Wendy noticed that Irene was distracted with something.

"Babe, what was that?",she asked.

It took a few seconds for Irene to reply. It looked like her eyes were roaming around the place.

"The power is out," Irene said, her attention was somewhere else.

*Rrrumble....rrumble...rrumble...*

"What was that babe?" Wendy can't help but feel concerned as she hears such scary sounds in the background. Irene's expression turned fearful.

"Wendy, I think something is wrong..."

"Seriously, what is happening babe?" Wendy asked, now feeling alarmed.

"Wendy.. babe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter