Brewing Paranoia

The Road
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Day 3

"Still no radio signal?" asked their new mechanic, Yeri.

"Nothing." answered Taeyeon, eyes weary and holding her device on hand.

They've been driving west for a while now, Wendy was incharge of the wheels since Taeyeon hadn't been looking well since the accident happened. As much as Wendy cares about the older woman, she can't think of a proper way to ask about the latter's condition. Wendy knows that Taeyeon is a tough woman and she wouldn't want anyone, most especially Wendy, looking after her. The least she can do is unburden Taeyeon with the driving.

"So what kind of music do you folks listen to?" Yeri asked casually, looking at the two other passengers from the backseat.

"Uhh.. I don't think this is 'that kind of road trip', Yeri " answered Wendy, subtlely looking at Taeyeon's passive expression.

Yeri eyed them both carefully and released a sigh, "okay"

The car was once again ruled by silence.

................................................................

It was dark again as night has fallen. Yeri had fallen asleep in the backseat since none of the 2 older women were willing to indulge her "getting- to-know" questions. If only she knew how boring this trip would be, she should've rather stayed at Gurye. But then, this could be her one shot of going to Seoul. She had to take her chance.

"We're being followed."

Yeri immediately opened her eyes and straightened up. She saw Taeyeon looking at the car's IRVM, eyes narrowing as it reflected another car closely tailing them. It was difficult to notice anything if it wasn't for their car lights. This excited Yeri. Finally, they were getting some adventure.

"Pull over and light's off." Taeyeon commanded.

Wendy drove in an intersection and halted the car. They watched as the other car passed them by, unnoticed.

"Follow them, just use their tail lights." said Taeyeon, wary of any encounters they might have on the road again. What happened the other night with the lunatic, basically disabled her midriff. They had to be careful. But her tired body was wearing her out.

She went back to the road and followed the other car in a safe distance. Suddenly, soemthing was blocking her eyesight.

"Want some?" Yeri asked, a pack of chips on hand.

"No thanks, pls. get it out of my face" replied Wendy, eyes still on the road.

"The ajumma seems sleep again." Yeri commented as she looked at Taeyeon's side profile. Despite her coldness and haggard looks, Yeri admits the older woman has such a baby face and good skin.

"Just let her rest for a bit. She's gonna want to drive when she wakes up." 

"So, how are you too exactly related?" ever the curious one, Yeri asked.

"Her daughter is my fiancee'..." 

Yeri just nodded in understanding.

Wendy swallowed a lump in . Her fiancee Irene. The woman she promised to marry at the end of the month and spend the rest of her life with. The woman who made her believe in love and family all over again. Her Irene and the child in her womb. 'Wait for me babe... i'm coming to save you two.'

"Woah... this is something kinda crazy, look!" Yeri said as she held a compass in her hand.

Wendy took it and examine the compass. It's arrow was pointing all over the place instead of pointing north.

"Wendy, why is that car on our side of the road?"

Before Wendy even realized what was happening, she maneuvered their car on the side as the other car they were following collided with an opposing car. The accident woke Taeyeon up.

"Oh my God." Yeri whispered.

They all went out of the car to see if anyone survived the accident from both cars.

"No survivors here." Wendy said, looking at the two passengers who were dead on the spot. She closed their eyes and said a little prayer for them.

"The woman is dead but the man seems to be still alive," Yeri yelled from the ot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter