Small Steps

Stay With Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I've got you. It's going to be okay." Yuju whispered quietly as she rubbed her hand up and down her companion's back, purring softly against the other hybrid's body in order to try and comfort her.

"I'm....scared..." Eunha whimpered quietly from Yuju's arms as her cat ears flattened against her head. 

"It won't hurt that bad. I promise. It's just a little pinch." Yuju replied softly. "It'll be over fast."

"Are you ready, Eunha?" Joy spoke up, ruffling the cat hybrid's short hair in a soothing motion. Eunha let out a small whimper but she nodded slightly. Yerin felt her chest lighten as she watched from nearby. At least Eunha seemed like she was going to behave instead of trying to fight. 

   The hybrid flu going around was starting to get worse as the weeks passed by, so Joy had strongly recommended that SinB and Eunha get the same flu shot that Yuju got the next time Yerin brought the trio of hybrids to the hybrid center. Yerin had been a little hesitant at first, worried about how the two would behave, but thankfully Sojung had been able to join them all this time. The taller girl was sitting in one of the chairs that Joy had set up in the examination room for them, SinB leaned up against her slightly while Yerin sat on the other side of her, keeping an arm around the cat hybrid's shoulders. Yuju was holding Eunha close from where she stood next to the examination bed that Eunha was currently sitting on, the long haired hybrid making sure that Eunha's arm could still be accessed by the kind doctor. 

Yerin and Sojung watched as Joy rolled up Eunha's sleeve to expose her bare left arm, the doctor rubbing the hybrid's skin with an alcohol pad. Eunha let out another small whimper while Yuju purred stronger against her. SinB immediately turned her head away once Joy picked up the syringe, a small shiver visibly rushing through her body while she hid her face in Sojung's shoulder, not wanting to watch what was about to happen at all.

"Alright. I'll do this as gently as I can, okay?" Joy said with a comforting tone. "Just take a deep breath and it'll be over before you know it."

Eunha trembled slightly but she obeyed the doctor's instructions, her free hand clutching at Yuju's shirt as she did so. Joy moved quickly, sticking the needle into the short haired hybrid's arm smoothly and professionally once Eunha started to exhale.

"Ow." Eunha squeaked out in response. Yuju kissed the side of Eunha's head, purring louder against her friend as Joy finished giving the shot and removed the needle from her arm.

"Good job." Joy smiled as she placed a bandaid over the injection site, making sure to massage Eunha's arm gently to minimize the pain and soreness later on. "See, that wasn't so bad, was it?"

"It's....over?" Eunha asked quietly, her flattened cat ears perking up slightly.

"It's over." Joy nodded as she pulled the hybrid's sleeve back down. "I'm very proud of you, Eunha. You did great."

Eunha seemed to relax again at those words, a small, shaky sigh leaving . Yuju's purring lowered in volume as she moved away to help Eunha off of the examination bed. Once she was back on her feet, Eunha practically ran over to Yerin with Yuju trailing behind. Yerin immediately stood up from her chair, leaving SinB to Sojung's care as she welcomed the short haired cat hybrid back into her arms, making sure to avoid accidently touching the injection site on Eunha's left arm.

"Good girl." Yerin smiled, happy to hear Eunha's purr returning and see the hybrid's cat ears move back to their normal position on her head. Yuju was smiling as well, her tail swishing behind her gently.

The only person not reacting at all was SinB, the hybrid still hiding her face in Sojung's shoulder and refusing to move. Sojung had a concerned look on her face as she ran her hand against the back of SinB's head, slender fingers trailing gently through dark brown hair. 

"Alright." Joy started to speak as she made sure to dispose of the used needle and syringe in the proper container, maneuvering over to where she had left the second flu shot and packaged alcohol wipe prepared for the next cat hybrid. As if she could sense what was going on without looking, SinB's tail poofed up behind her, her head turning slowly to spot what the doctor was currently doing.

"It's your turn, SinB." Joy continued, giving the frightened cat hybrid a sympathetic look. "Let's-"

Before Joy could even finish her sentence, SinB was up to her feet and running towards the door that led out of the examination room. The group could barely process what was happening, Sojung's arm extended out in an attempt to try and grab SinB but the hybrid was too fast for anyone to stop her. She had pushed out the door and run out of the hallway back to the main room of the building in almost the blink of an eye. 

"SinB!" Yerin called out as she let go of Eunha to run after the runaway cat hybrid. Sojung had stood up too, following behind Yerin. Joy watched with a shocked look on her face. She hadn't expected SinB to react like that so quickly. Yuju wanted to help but Eunha was her main priority at the moment, keeping an eye on her friend along with Joy to make sure the hybrid wouldn't have any unexpected reaction to the vaccine. 

"SinB?" Yerin called out again once she was in the main room with Sojung, eyes darting around the play structures to try and spot where the cat hybrid had gone. It was as if SinB had completely disappeared somehow. It was almost impressive. 

"Where the hell did she go?" Sojung was shocked too. "She couldn't have hidden that well that quickly."

"She's around here somewhere." Yerin sighed. "We'll find her eventually."

"Yerin?" A voice cut in. Yerin immediately turned, not recognizing the voice until she was face to face with the hybrid thanks to how distracted she currently was with the whole situation.

"Is everything okay?" Ryujin asked, her head tilting curiously while another cat hybrid stood beside her. "You look worried."

"SinB ran off." Yerin explained with an exasperated tone. "It was her turn to get her flu shot but she ran out of the room so fast that we couldn't catch her."

"Really?" Ryujin raised an eyebrow, her cat ears twitching on the top of her head briefly. "She was that fast?"

"She was." Yerin said as she ran a hand through her own hair. "I've never seen her move that fast ever."

"It was kinda incredible." Sojung managed to laugh slightly.

"She's such an interesting cat." Ryujin chuckled to herself. "I'll help out. I'm sure I'll be able to find her hiding spot. I've done it before."

"Thank you, Ryujin, I really appreciate it." Yerin smiled for a moment, giving the cat hybrid's head a gentle pat before she turned her attention to the new cat hybrid standing behind Ryujin. The new hybrid seemed like she was zoning out but her tail was swishing back and forth contently, a sign that she wasn't anxious or nervous in the slightest. She was taller than Ryujin but only by a little bit, pretty dark red hair cascading down her back while her cat ears were a dark brown, almost black color. Yerin figured that the new hybrid had dyed hair instead of her natural hair thanks to Yeji. 

"Who's this?" Yerin asked. "Is this one of your pack members?"

"Yep." Ryujin grinned at that, nudging the new hybrid gently with her elbow to get her attention. "This is Chaeryeong. She finally recovered a few days ago so she was able to come today!"

"Hi." Chaeryeong waved at the two human girls with a tiny, cute smile. "It's nice to meet you."

"I'm glad I finally get to meet you, Chaeryeong, I'm Yerin." Yerin waved back with another warm smile. 

"I'm Sojung." Sojung waved as well. "I don't think I've met you either, Ryujin, but Yerin has mentioned you a couple of times."

"We haven't but I remember you." Ryujin nodded. "You're the human who picked SinB up to take her home when she fell asleep that one time."

"That was me." Sojung laughed at the memory. Ryujin joined in with her own small chuckle.

"Picked SinB up?" Chaeryeong tilted her head in confusion. "Who's SinB?"

"One of my new friends that I told you about, remember?" Ryujin responded. "You'll meet her later once we find her."

"We really should find her as soon as we can." Yerin said. 

"There's not many places she can hide." Sojung chimed in as she glanced around the room. "I'll start looking on the left side of the room with Yerin and you both can check on the right side."

"Sounds like a plan." Ryujin gave the two a thumbs up before taking Chaeryeong's hand, pulling her along gently so they could begin their search.

Yerin and Sojung were quick to mirror what the cat hybrids were doing, checking every possible space they could think of that SinB could tuck herself into. But it was proving to be harder than they all had originally expected. Thirty minutes had passed already and SinB was still no where to be found. Yuju, Joy and Eunha had eventually joined the four, helping search as well. It was another ten minutes before Ryujin had finally yelled out that she had found her. 

SinB had pulled one of the beanbag chairs into a corner, hiding herself underneath it. The color of her cat tail had blended in fairly well to the beanbag chair's color but the fact that it was poofed up and sticking out from under it had given her away. SinB was growling, hissing as Ryujin moved the beanbag chair off of the cat hybrid's body with Yerin's help while the rest of the group stood back a small distance away.

"Whoa, calm down. It's just me." Ryujin held her hands up in order to show the other girl that she wasn't about to do anything drastic. "It's me, SinB."

"SinB....It's okay." Yerin spoke softly as she moved in close, eyes full of sympathy for the scared cat hybrid. "It's just us."

  SinB's growling morphed into a whine, the hybrid's wide eyes darting from Yerin's face, to Ryujin's and then back again. The next noise that left SinB's mouth sounded like a distressed mew and the sound of it caused Yerin's chest to tighten. Hearing and seeing SinB so scared was always difficult.

  Yerin kneeled down next to SinB before reaching out to run her hand through SinB's hair and against her cat ears. SinB didn't move at first but as the motion continued, she crawled onto Yerin's lap, shakily wrapping her arms around the girl's torso and burying her face in her shoulder while her cat ears lowered against her head again. Yerin continued what she was doing as she pressed a kiss against SinB's head, trying to get the frightened cat hybrid's body to relax. But SinB remained tense, even with the comforting acts of affection.

"Oh, SinB." Yerin sighed before pressing another kiss against the girl's head. "It's really scary, isn't it?"

SinB only nodded against her in response. No sound exiting . 

"I understand." Yerin mused, still running her fingers through SinB's hair. "But it's important for you to stay healthy."

SinB remained quiet and Yerin pressed her lips together, thinking something over.

"We can put off the shot until next week but only if you agree to do something else today instead."

SinB twitched for a moment, already knowing what Yerin was going to suggest.

"It's either you get your shot today or you get your hair done today instead of next week like we planned." Yerin said gently. "I know you don't want to do either of those things but the longer we put both of them off, the scarier its going to get." 

"But....its going to hurt too." SinB whimpered, her voice uncharacteristically shaking.

"You know it doesn't hurt, SinB." Yerin replied. "You've done it before. And it doesn't have to be a drastic change. It can be just a trim like the ones I've given you at home."

"She's right." Ryujin finally chimed in. "Yeji is really gentle. And you won't be alone in there. I'll come too."

"And I'll be right by your side." Yerin nodded. "I don't think we can have everyone join us but we can have as many people with you as we can."

"....Okay." SinB finally responded after a long moment of silence. 

"Okay." Yerin repeated back with a small, proud smile on her face. At least SinB was willing to go through with this. "Who else do you want to come with us?"

"Y....Yuju...." SinB mumbled. "She...promised me."

Yerin only nodded, turning her head and making eye contact with Yuju, gesturing for the long haired hybrid to join them. Yuju was quick to join the two on the floor with SinB, her hand resting on the cat hybrid's shoulder. Yerin explained the situation briefly and Yuju seemed to grow worried even though SinB had agreed to finally let her hair be done by someone new. The reaction caught Yerin slightly off guard. 

"SinB?" Yuju's voice was calm and gentle but there was a slight bit of uncertainty in it. "Are you sure you're ready to do it today? The shot would be over quicker."

SinB nodded slightly as she avoided eye contact, her cat ears still flat against her head. 

"I won't leave your side for a second. I promise." Yuju said firmly. "It won't hurt. I swear on my life that it won't."

  Now Yerin was even more confused. The way Yuju was speaking didn't seem like it would be about something so miniscule as getting a trim or a cut. It was like SinB had agreed to the shot after all even though she hadn't. Yerin wanted to ask, to figure out why both Yuju and SinB were acting like this since Yuju had been excited when SinB had said she would think about having her hair done a few weeks ago. But it was obvious that pressuring SinB and Yuju to explain right now was a bad idea. Especially with SinB in this state.

  Slowly, the group helped SinB to her feet, Yerin explaining what exactly was happening to the rest of the group. A small flash of uncertainty had briefly shown in Eunha's eyes too but it was gone as quickly as it had arrived once Sana had entered the building and run over to greet the short haired hybrid with a tight hug. Sojung had decided to stay with the two to keep an eye on them, along with Chaeryeong, and Yerin couldn't help but smile as Sana introduced herself to Sojung eagerly. Sojung had made sure to place a kiss against SinB's cat ears before allowing Yerin, Yuju and Ryujin to guide the frightened hybrid over to the salon, occupying herself by watching the three other cat hybrid's play around until she was dragged into the game by a hyper Eunha.

"Oh, hey, Yerin." Yeji was quick to smile once she spotted the small group entering the salon with Yerin leading them, pausing her organizing of her hair tools in order to greet everyone. "What's going on? I wasn't expecting to see you all until later. It's Yuju's turn this week, right?"

"Actually, it's someone else's turn first." Yerin said before stepping to the side slightly, allowing Yuju and the still frightened SinB to be visable. SinB was pressed up against Yuju's body firmly while Ryujin stood next to her other side, her cat ears still remaining flattened against her head and her body tense. Yeji's eyes practically sparkled at the sight of the new cat hybrid in front of her.  

"Is that SinB?" Yeji asked with a grin as she placed her pair of scissors that she had finished cleaning down on a fresh washcloth at her station. "Do I finally get to meet her earlier than I thought I would?"

Before Yerin could even respond, SinB started to move again, pulling away from Yuju and attempting to run back into the main room. Yuju was blocking the door, thanks to where she was standing, so the only thing SinB could do was run away from the group and Yeji in a desperate attempt to find somewhere in the salon to hide. There weren't a lot of spaces the cat hybrid could hide herself in because of the open design of the small room so SinB stood still for a moment, her whole body visibly on edge as her gaze frantically darted around the room.

"Wow, she really is scared. Way more than Eunha was." Yeji said softly, smiling sympathetically at the terrifed cat hybrid before speaking again.

"It's okay, SinB. I'm not going to hurt you. You don't need to hide."

Yuju and Ryujin gave each other worried glances while Yerin attempted to get to SinB's side, signaling Yeji to remain where she was for now.

"SinB." Yerin began to speak, SinB's wide eyes focusing on her. "Calm down, okay? Yeji is my friend. She's not going to do anything to harm you."

SinB seemed like she was starting to listen but that thought was short lived as soon as the hybrid had spotted the pair of scissors that Yeji had finished cleaning laying in their proper spot next to some thinning scissors and a pair of clippers that was used on hybrids that had extra short hair. The sight of the scissors brought SinB right back into her panicked state, causing her to dart away from the two human girls again in order to try and squeeze herself under the waiting chairs in front of Yeji's salon chair. She wasn't really able to fit under them properly but to th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter