Second Chances

Three Chances in Life

The 20-minute car ride from Jimin’s apartment to Jungkook’s penthouse was mostly quiet, aside from the occasional voice in the backseat telling a story about school. Taeseok currently went to the preschool at the center where Jimin danced. It was convenient for both of them and Taeseok seemed to enjoy it. He was always good at making friends with his happy, bubbly personality. Jungkook used to always joke that he got his looks from the alpha, but the personality and attitude was all Jimin. 

Jungkook never did like being alone. Even growing up, he would follow his siblings around, just so that he wouldn’t have to be by himself. He was quick at making friends and was always surrounded by people, omegas and alphas alike. He was worried when him and Jimin split that the loneliness would be overwhelming for him, but he managed to be stronger than he thought. Having his son at his home always made him feel happier. Jungkook truly enjoyed the time that he would get to spend with his son. Watching this little pup shape into his own person was always beautiful spectacle that Jungkook always thought he was lucky to be a part of. As painful as his breakup with Jimin had been on the three of them, he is glad that they both were working hard to make the effect on Taeseok as little as possible. 

Jungkook was proud of his apartment. It was modern with a balcony and extra bedroom for Taeseok. He had managed to get a great job a couple years after college and have a nice income that allowed him to live in one of the better neighborhoods of Seoul. Jungkook worked hard as a photographer and thanks to social media had gained quite a following these last few years. He truly liked his job and was good at it. 

“Do you want to put your bags in your room, Seok? Homin should be here in a little bit.” Jungkook asked, kicking off his shoes as they entered the apartment. 

“Yes, daddy.” 

Taeseok grabbed the bag that he packed and headed towards his room. Jungkook followed behind him carrying the bag that Jimin packed. It did not take long for the little pup to get all his toys and coloring books out as he prepared for the arrival of his friend. Jungkook didn’t mind the messes that the little one would make. It always made his empty house seem a little more like a home. 

Jungkook returned to the kitchen to get a head start on dinner. He wanted it to be close to finished by the time the couple arrived. Seokjin and Namjoon have always been like brothers to Jungkook. They always took care of each other and supported each other through all their life problems. That is probably why the moment that Seokjin and Namjoon walked in the door, Jungkook was ready to tell them about the situation that had occurred at Jimin’s apartment, but they had decided to wait until after the pups would be busy playing in Taeseok’s room. 

The little group ate dinner together in Jungkook’s large dining room. As the adults were getting entertained by the antics of the small pups, Jungkook kept getting occupied by the thoughts in his mind but he was glad to have a full home to help clear some of the thoughts.. Homin and Taeseok were close in age and were blessed to be best friends with each other. Sometimes, they would remind Jungkook of how him and Jimin used to act. While the little pups had not presented yet, Jimin used to always think that Taeseok was going to be an omega like him. He would say that he could just tell because “it was an omega thing.” Jungkook used to just smile and say that he would be happy either way. 

After eating, Taeseok and Homin left to go play in the older pup’s room. It was finally time for Jungkook to talk about what has been bothering him for the last few hours. Jungkook took his time explaining what had happened as Seokjin sipped on his wine and Namjoon nursed a beer. The two older males just patiently waited for the younger alpha to finish before they made any comments or gave any advice. 

“So, then we drove off and I came home and honestly, I can’t get the way that Jimin looked at me out of my mind. I mean he even bloomed, guys! What does that even mean? He shouldn’t be blooming with me while his alpha is upstairs, even if he is scum.” Jungkook said, finishing his story. He sat quietly as he tried to catch his breath. He waited for a comment from the other two. He knew that he could trust their judgement. He knew that they would be honest with him and not sugar coat any situation that Jungkook faced, which is something that he always admired. 

“Okay, well first of all, I have to say that Sungwoon is a . I only met him once at Jimin’s for that omega luncheon I told you about and he was even rude then. He really tries to make a clear divide between omega and alpha as if we are some different species. Second, do you really mind that much if Jimin helps him with his rut or is it because of your past that you let it affect you this way? I mean they have been together for 7 months. He was helping you long before that.” Seokjin says, still sipping his wine. 

“I mean I get it if he wants to help but it just-” 

“Hurts because the last fight that you had with him before you broke up was over your own rut?” Namjoon adds. 

Jungkook looks down at his hands, playing with the dry skin around his thumb nail. He nods slightly at the question that Namjoon asked. Jungkook still feels like his rut was what ultimately broke them up. He knows deep down that there were more issues than just this one, but this was truly the one that was too much for them. 

“Don’t you think that he moved on too fast? I mean he was already with another alpha before my side of the bed was cold.” Jungkook spit. He knew that he shouldn’t let himself get angry over this again, but he couldn’t help it. It sparked his temper every time that he thought about it. Jungkook was willing to work on them as a couple. He was willing to wait. He was being patient, waiting for the time when things would get better but before he knew it, Jimin was already with someone else. 

“Don’t act like you didn’t try to move on either, Jungkook. What about Eunwoo or Jaehyun? You tried to be with them as well.” Namjoon said, countering Jungkook’s argument. 

“Yeah, but it didn’t work out with them. They just didn’t fit me.” 

“You mean that they weren’t Jimin.” Seokjin says, placing his glass on the table and reaching for Jungkook’s hands, placing them into his own. “I have a serious question for you, Kook. If Jimin would want to be with you right now, would you get back together with him?” 

Jungkook just quietly stared at the omega. Would he get back with Jimin? His heart wants to say an immediate yes, but his brain knows better. So much time has passed, and the omega is with someone else now. Does Jimin love Sungwoon? He probably does. Jimin falls in love so easily, at least Jungkook thought so. Jungkook was the first person that he had been in love with, and they fell fast and hard for each other. 

“I don’t know. I still love him... a lot. But I don’t know. Is our time up? Could we really fix everything? Would it mess up what we have now?” 

“You know, Kook. They say that you get three chances at life. How many have you used up?” Namjoon said, patting Jungkook on the shoulder as he walked past him to check on the kids. 

------ 

 

Taehyung and Yoongi arrived quickly after Jimin had called. The couple was always Jimin’s support team. Taehyung was good at cuddles while Yoongi was always the voice of reason. 

“Then he starts talking about how Jungkook is probably balls deep into some other omega and how I am pathetic for thinking that he would wait for us,” Jimin says, barely being able to get the words out between the tears. 

“Jimin, why do you let him have such a negative effect on you? You are so much stronger than this. You know, I always told you that he wasn’t good for you. I know that you needed help moving on but babe, you could have done way better. ” Taehyung says, petting Jimin’s head that is currently laying on his lap. 

“Plus, I am sure that Jungkook has slept with other people by now.” Yoongi states. 

Both omegas turn to look at him. Sadness fills Jimin’s eyes while anger fills Taehyung’s. Yoongi’s looks at them both, starting to figure out that maybe he didn’t say the right thing. 

“What? I mean it has been 14 months. He is an alpha and a man, Jimin. He has needs too. Plus, does it matter when you have been sleeping with Sungwoon for at least half of that time?” Yoongi says, never one to shed away from stating the truth. 

“Yoongi! Could you at least try to be a little sensitive please?” Taehyung snaps at his boyfriend. 

“No, he’s right. What was I thinking? Of course, he has been with other people. He is the perfect alpha. He is what any omega would desire. It is selfish of me to think that he wouldn’t. I don’t know what I was thinking. I didn’t wait for him either. I just thought that if I started dating Sungwoon then it would help me to get over Jungkook faster and we could both move on with our lives.” 

“But how did that work out for you?” Taehyung says. 

Jimin looked up at his friend. He knew that he was still in love with Jungkook. He could feel it every time he would see him. He would remember it every time that he looked at their son. He knew that he wouldn’t be able to replace him and move on so quickly. Not when he still feels like Jungkook owns his heart. 

“So, what do I do?” Jimin asked his friends, wiping the tears from his eyes. 

“What do you want?” the blonde alpha asked. 

“I want to try and work on myself, first. I think that I am still trying to deal with a lot of the hurt and how can I ever expect to fix us if I don’t fix my own issue first.” Jimin says, sitting up from Taehyung’s lap. “I should just concentrate on myself for a while. Work more on my dancing and spending more time with Taeseok. He is growing up so fast. Jungkook and I had chances to make it work and we couldn’t so maybe it is time to let myself really move on. For both of our sakes.” 

“Do you think that you could ever give it another chance?” Taehyung asked. 

“I don’t know. But sometimes, second chances are not given to make things right but are given to prove that we could be better even after we fail.” 

“Well damn, Shakespeare.” Taehyung says. The three boys laugh as they try to bring some light into a dark conversation. 

“Just take your time with each other. A lot of things have changed in 14 months, for both of you. A little bit of growth can go a long way.” Yoongi says, smiling towards Jimin. He stands up and walks towards the kitchen to grab them all refills on their beers. 

“Speaking of growth, have you decided what you are going to do for Taeseok’s birthday party yet?” Taehyung asked, grabbing the beer from his boyfriend’s hand. 

“Not yet. I was going to see about renting out the dance studio, but it was already booked for that weekend. My place is too small to have a large gathering, so I’ll have to figure something out.” 

“Why don’t you asked Jungkook about having it at his place? It is definitely big enough to accommodate a child’s birthday party.” Yoongi suggests. 

“Oh, I don’t know. I don’t want to trouble him.” 

“It is his child too. You always host the birthday parties. Have him do it once.” Taehyung says, smirking slightly. “Alphas always get out of the party planning. I am sure that he would love to be involved. You know he loves doing anything that involves that pup.” 

Jimin smiles and nods his head. He is so grateful that Jungkook and Taeseok have such a great relationship. Maybe having a party at the alpha’s penthouse wouldn’t be such a bad idea. 

The rest of the weekend flies by quickly. Even though Jimin was an emotional roller-coaster following his break-up, he tried to replace his yo-yoing feelings of happiness, sadness, and loneliness, with watching K-dramas and animes. By Sunday, Jimin had binged several seasons of his favorite shows and eaten lots of junk food to try and fill the void. Starting Monday, he knew that he would have to get out of his funk and get back on track. Jungkook normally dropped off Taeseok in the early evenings on Sunday. Jimin knew that he would have time to clean the house and himself before the two would arrive later...or so he thought. 

Jimin’s eyes grew 5 sizes as the doorbell rang. He quickly noticed the scent of oranges and began to panic. He grabbed the trash off the table and rushed to clean the living room as much as possible. 

“Just one second.” Jimin yelled. 

He looked in the mirror. He looked like he hasn’t showered in 4 days and he is still in his holey sweatpants. He his hand to wet his hand as he tries to tame the mess that is his hair. He starts to look more presentable when he hears a little voice yelling on the other side of the door. 

“Papa, open up. I have to potty!!” 

Jimin quickly opened the door. Taeseok ran past him, straight towards the bathroom. Jungkook laughed slightly at the little pup before turning to look at Jimin. He looked at him from feet to head as Jimin blushed at the attention. 

“I didn’t know that you would be here so early today. You normally come later in the day.” Jimin tries to explain as he straightens his shirt and stepping to the side so that Jungkook can enter the apartment. 

“Sorry, I should have texted you. I didn’t think that you would mind. I have a photoshoot to do this evening, so I need to drop him off a little bit earlier.” Jungkook says, looking around the apartment. “I’m sorry if I interrupted something.” 

Jimin’s eyes grow as he realizes that Jungkook probably thinks that Sungwoon is here and that Jimin’s messy look is because he has been helping him with his rut. 

“No, it is fine! I am not doing anything. I have just been watching some animes and eating junk food. You know, what most people do when they are going through a breakup-” Jimin stops. He realizes that he is talking too much when he watches Jungkook’s eyes turn even rounder. 

“Oh. I’m sorry. I didn’t know-” 

“It’s okay. It was just time, you know? We had lots of issues. It wasn’t even about the rut, there were other things too.” 

“Sounds familiar.” 

Jimin freezes. He feels his body to cold as the words hit him repeatedly. Jungkook, it isn't even about the rut. We just have too many issues. Of course, it sounds familiar. It is the same conversation that they had when Jungkook came to pack up his things from that old, shared apartment. Jimin just looks down at the floor. He can feel his cheeks getting redder and his tears gathering. He doesn't want to cry. He wants to stay strong. 

“Chim, I am so sorry. I don’t know why I said that. It was completely inappropriate. Please don’t cry.” Jungkook says, bending slightly to look Jimin in the eyes. He gives his hands a small squeeze but doesn’t let them go. 

Jimin lifts his head to look at the alpha. Regret and sadness are painted across Jungkook’s face. A look that Jimin has seen too often. Jimin pulls his hands gently out of Jungkook’s. 

“It’s okay. Really. I-I’m going to go check on Taeseok so that he can say bye.” 

Jimin walks towards the back of the apartment to look for their pup. The tears that were held back are finally falling once he has left the view of the alpha. 

Maybe the hurt is too much between them. Maybe they have used up all their chances.