The Job

Crimson Kiss

 

 

Wendy has slept throughout the day. She woke up during night time and quickly freshen up to join her family to dinner. Coming in to the dining room she is quickly enveloped by her parents hug. “Oh baby, I miss you so much. Sorry if dad and I were not able to pick you up from the airport” her Mom said. “That’s okay Mom. I missed you guys so much” Her smile is wide, she missed her parents terribly too. Except for her Mom’s hairstyle nothing has really change to both her parent’s appearance. Her dad, well actually stepfather, is the most powerful vampire of all Asia and one of the oldest, how old? She doesn’t know he told her when she asked once “I stopped counting at 300 sweetie”. Her mom, a young vampire who was turned when she was 35, still looks as elegant as ever. She had her when she was 25, her biological father just ran off to his responsibilities. It was just her and Mom then. Mom came from a well-off family and provided for everything she needed. She grew up happy and content and did not ask for anything more. When she was 10 her mom met Marcus, her Mom blooded Marcus at first sight, then they eventually fell in love and they marry. Blooded is the vampire term when vampires had found their mates and their hearts starts beating again after becoming the undead, It was said to make vampires stronger. Marcus had been nothing but kind to her ever since he and Mom started dating, so she easily accepted Marcus true nature when they explained everything to her when she turned 15 Marcus was also kind enough to put it out there that he can turn her if ever she wished to be the same as them.

 

Her parents does not need to eat food for sustainance but they still enjoy the flavors once in a while. Whenever they get together it was family tradition that they have dinner together.Their conversation is light as they eat as they keep themselves up to date with each other. She tries to phone her parents as much as possible. But the time difference and them being busy with work and her with school proves to be a challenge sometimes.

“So Wendy, any plans on your vacation?” Her dad asks.

“Actually dad and mom, I plan to stay here for good if that’s okay with you”

“Oh sweetie! That’s great! You know I want you to be independent as much as possible but I seriously worry about you being alone there. I miss babying my baby” She cooed at Wendy like she’a a baby.

She laughs at her Mom’s antics.

“I know someone who will like that” her dad murmured. Before she clarified what she heard he quickly change the subject. “Anyways I’d like it if you take it easy. You been working so hard in school and part time jobs, you deserved a break”

“Trust me dad I had plenty of breaks before coming home, after I submitted my requirements, I resigned from my part time jobs and finally get to play tourist until my flight.” Her parents does need to know that she partied her way through graduation after her finals and made up for the years of her just being a diligent student. “I was hoping I could intern in your company, you keep saying that you want me to be part of the business so here I am”

“Ridiculous, what intern are you talking about, aside from being my daughter you are highly qualified for a post in our company. I’m sure Irene will be more than glad to get you up to speed with our businesses.”

“Uhm dad..”

“No more buts take it easy this week and Ill see you at the office on Monday if you are as ready as you say you are” her dad says while looking at her with challenge on his eyes.

“Sure, Ill report on Monday” as she met his eyes. Challenge accepted. She turns her attention to her food and continue eating and missed the smile that her dad was trying to suppress.

 

=========

 

Irene prefers these business meetings rather than coven meetings. With business meetings you make decisions based on actual facts, whereas coven meetings are highly politicize and too formal for her liking. She always admire how Marcus dominate both but at the same time keep it separate to his family. To the business and vampire world, Marcus is a powerful and ruthless leader. Nobody would ever try to cross a Marcus Shon. But to his family he is a loving and doting husband and father.

 

“Irene walk me to my office please” Marcus said after the meeting with the Board members. Irene walked with Marcus to his office as they are followed by his two executive assistants. As the assistants settled on their tables outside the office, she and Marcus took a seat on the opposing couch on his office.

 

“My Wendy has finally expressed interest in business and I want you to train her.” Marcus starts.

“Do I have a say in this?” Irene asks, trying to keep her calm.

“Do you want to decline? I thought you will be happy” Marcus is sporting that sheepish smile that she is starting to hate.

“What do you mean?” She ask curiously

“I am not stupid Irene, four years ago I sensed  something going on between you two, well at least Wendy must have feelings for you. You have always been reserved. But after she left, you have been spacing out frequently which is so unlike of you. Not until 3 years ago after your trip. You came back blooded but more reserved. I was waiting for you to introduce a mate to me. But after sometime, I gave up. Curiosity get to me, I checked where you went and I was not even surprised that you spent your trip to Canada. You know, I can easily go through your mind and know the truth, but I wont invade your privacy like that. Would you mind telling  me the truth now?”

 

 

========

 

3 years ago. Irene was at the opposite building of the coffee house where Wendy is supposed to be working. It has been a year since she last saw her. They had a falling out and just heard from Marcus that Wendy decided to continue her studies to Canada. For one year she kept thinking about her, she mostly attribute it to being feeling guilty with their fallout. But when she finally saw her it’s like seeing her again for the first time. Wendy looks thinner, but she definitely matured, she have lost that playful glint her eyes and replaced by something serious like determination though she stills looks as pretty as the first day she met her. While staring at Wendy from afar, she suddenly  felt a flash of blinding pain in her head it made her close her eyes hard it was very short but after the pain has passed and she opened her eyes she heard a deafening beating sound too loud that she has to adjust her hearing only to realize that it was her heart. Did Wendy just blooded me?

 

She had been paralyzed on her position. Too shock to process anything, she must be just standing there for hours as she noticed Wendy taking off her apron, got her purse behind counter and says her goodbyes on the person on the counter. She prepares to leave her spot to talk to her when a male about the same age as Wendy approached Wendy and she greeted him with a smile. They walk hand in hand together. They say that being blooded makes a vampire more powerful and that power can be felt throughout their veins. But at that time Irene can only process the pain...I am too late.

 

 

=========

 

“Irene? Would mind telling me the truth now” Marcus repeated which cut off her thoughts of the past.

“Nothing happened, I came to Canada to meet her. She blooded me from afar at the same time I also realized that nothing can ever happen. She is your daughter, you are my master.” She said seriously.

Marcus sigh “Cut the bull about me being your master, when were you ever obedient to me?” Marcus jokes. It’s true that Marcus never imposes his will to Irene. Irene supports Marcus out of respect and gratitude. Marcus continues “You might think that I might be angry at you if you and Wendy get together right? Something about betraying my trust? Initially that’s how I feel but seeing how happy Wendy before when both of you get together made me realize that there’s no other person I can entrust myself daughter to. Heck I even trust you with my own life.”

Irene sighs “I really ed up didn’t I? Did I also mentioned that she hated me then and still hates me now?”

“Then I think it’s high time you fix this, three years is a long time even if you have forever don’t you think?”

 

Irene felt that Marcus just did a mic drop on her. She was left alone in the office reflecting of the past and of the future.