The Kiss

Crimson Kiss

Happy Wenrene day!

 

======
 

“Hey stranger!” Joy smiled as she sees her walking towards the lobby of the restaurant they agreed to meet.

“Hey beautiful” Wendy is quickly enveloped by Joy’s hugged. She missed this girl. They hardly had contact during her time in Canada but it does not mean she has forgotten her, they exchange emails every now and then, keeping themselves updated with important events of their lives. Joy seems to be doing well. She was spotted by a scout and now a rising model.

 

Their conversation is light as they sat. They quickly ease back to their usual banters. Wendy is smiling wide as she talks to Joy. She definitely need this after another week working with Irene. Though the work itself is not tedious, being around Irene proves to be challenging, lately she is finding herself being tormented by Irene’s smile, her subtle stare and kindness. Ughh whatever mental game Irene is playing needs to stop seriously.

 

“So Unnie, do you have anyone gorgeous waiting for you back in Canada?” Joy interrupted her silent musings.

“Sadly no one, which is a good thing since I am back here for good”

“Oohhh, yes finally my Irene unnie has a chance”

“Wait, what?? You know Irene??”

“Oh silly of me I totally forgot to mention didn’t I? Unnie and I are close” Joy said casually.

“Since when??” Wendy is having a hard time processing this information.

“Two days after you went to Canada, I went to your house, I met her there. I was really stressed out about something then and I was hoping we could have a drink but I did not know you left already then. Remember you only contacted me after two weeks?” Though Joy’s tone is factual she cant help but feel guilty. She left abruptly then without bothering saying goodbye to her friends. “When I met Unnie she introduced herself she said you two are friends and she noticed that I might need a friend at the moment so she accompanied me, your parents know her so I said why not. She does not really talk a lot, but at least I have someone to drive me home after that bender and the rest is history”

“So are you two like..is there something..”she is still as confuse as hell. What the hell is happening?

“Oh please, Unnie doesn’t seem to know any other woman than you. It’s Wendy this and Wendy that.  I just took advantage of that.” Joy got that sheepish smile again.

“What do you mean?” She asked, still baffled

“Well Unnie and I get together at least once a month, she  asks me if I have any updates about you. Ask me things you like at the moment. Sometimes she asks me to buy those and she put together a care package and send it to you. In exchange, I can call in a favor like if I need a ride to an audition or help with school”

 

That shocked Wendy, all along she thought it was her parents who sends her those care packages every month. It actually surprises her that her mom just know what items to send. She felt stupid that she didn’t even mentioned it to her mom when she have a sizable allowance enough to buy her anything she need.

 

That night she lie in her bed awake. Thinking of things she just found out. Why would Irene do that? Was it guilt? Whatever it is she is done with the mind games. She just wants peace.

 

======

 

When Wendy said that being around Irene is challenging this is what she means. They just finished meeting with the department heads, she was about to step out of the conference room when Irene spoke.

“Wendy I need to have a word with you”

She nearly jump at that “Sure Miss Bae”

Irene waited for the last director to leave before she speaks. “How do you like your job so far?”

“You want me to be completely honest?”

“That would be nice”

“I like it here, I learn a lot, you are a good mentor except for your weirdness sometimes.

“Weirdness?”

“Yeah, that constant staring and smiling, I dunno it just makes me uncomfortable”

“Good to know that about your job, But I won’t apologize for the other thing. You must have an idea by now, I am interested in you Wendy”

Her heart skipped a beat at that but she tried to keep her face neutral. “But I am clearly not”

“May I ask why?”

“There are several reasons why”

“Name the best ones”

“It’s inappropriate, you are my boss”

“That’s debatable, anything else?”

Wendy couldn’t say anything, how can she explain that what she did in the past gut her? When they are clearly not an item them. And Irene knowing how she was hurt in the past would likely give her power over her. She choose to lie instead. “I am not attracted to you”

Irene raise her brows “oh really?”

“Yes really.”

Irene smiled knowingly and looked at her watch “I have to meet your father, I want to discuss this more with you. Have dinner with me later.”

Before Wendy can decline Irene is out by the door.

 

=========

 

For the rest of the morning Wendy did her job distractedly.  She kept thinking about Irene and how she can get out of that dinner. By 11am she received a message from her father’s secretary asking her to come up to his office. Since they are just two floors apart she decided to use the emergency stairs instead of the elevator. If there’s an award for the worst luck then she must be in the first place. After the first flight of stairs, she looked up as she heard another person walking down and surprise  surprise it’s none other than Irene.

 

Every nerve in her body ran wild. Her heart flutters she can literally hear it. Irene looked at her and smiled. Wendy turned her eyes away from her, afraid for her to see that she is affecting her.

“You know, I thought about your reasons and none of them make sense” Irene started

“I am sure you have far more important things to do rather than this Ms. Bae. Please move on with your life and let this go”

“I think you are lying, you are attracted to me”

“Are you normally this arrogant?”

“No, I just know when a lie when I hear one” her eyes hardened.

“This is more reason why. You clearly can’t handle rejection, you probably lack emotional maturity despite your old age—“

Irene suddenly pushed her against the wall and kissed her. She is at shock and about to push her away but Irene put her arms around her waist deepening the kiss. Wendy slowly gave in and kissed her back.

When she felt Irene’s hips pinning her against the wall, that’s when she realize this is getting far. She gently pushed Irene to create some distance “Stop…Wait.. I need to see my father” And with that she ran and thankfully Irene did not went after her. This is not good..This is not good..

 

=======

 

“There you are!” Marcus exclaimed seeing Wendy walking to his office.

“Hi Dad” though still shaken at what happened at the stairwell, she force a smile and hug her father.

“Come I asked my secretary to prepare lunch for us. Mom and I miss you. You rarely have dinner at home” He walked her through the mini-conference area of his office where a feast is currently spread.

“Aww don’t worry I’ll come by more often” Wendy has decided to get her own space. She lives on a condo ten minutes drive away from the office. Her parents are ever supportive of her decisions. Though her father requested to see the place first and make sure that it is in a safe area and security is in place before they allowed for her to move in.

They had a light conversation about work as they eat.

“Do you drive your car to get to office? I hope so, I am not comfortable with you taking public transport. We can have a driver at your disposal just say the word.”

“Yes dad, don’t worry I have my car you know” she jokingly rolled her eyes. Her parents are always protective. She guess that will never change.

“Oh that, that’s an old car. If you want we can replace it with the new model”

“Stop. It works fine, which is actually surprising. I thought  it will be stuck in the garage acquiring dusts”

“Well Irene take it out for a drive every now and then, she also take it for tune ups you know”

That shocked Wendy, no wonder her car is still in good condition after 4 years. These little actions that Irene has done while she is gone is still puzzling to her. I wonder what is her angle?

 

=====

 

As much as she would like to admit Irene actions are getting through her. It is not good for her sanity. She was burned bad before and she do not want it to happen again. So to save herself from heartache she decided to just avoid Irene, she decided that their relationship will be strictly professional. When 5pm rolled, Irene is still engage on a phone call. She took that opportunity to escape, she sent Irene a message that she cant make it to dinner as she has plans and quickly go offline.

 

So here she is, on a impromptu dinner and drinks with Joy thankfully she doesn’t have any schedules for today and tomorrow.

“No wonder you look flushed when you walked in, damn Irene Unnie really did that? Didn’t know she got it on her”

“Shut up, she is bad news. I just told you what she did to me before” I rolled my eyes.

“I am not taking sides, but you two have a lot to talk about. Just give her a chance. What’s the worst that can happen”

Uhmm, her breaking my heart again? She thought.

She felt her phone vibrating as it receive a text from Irene “Please make that your last drink if you still plan on driving home”

“Unnie?” 

“I think Irene is here. I don’t want to look around. Can you let me know if you see her?”

“Uhm no, did she text you or something?” She nodded.

“I like Irene for you. What is there not to like, she’s rich, gorgeous and…”

“Will take care of you” Irene’s voice sounded behind me and the hairs on her neck stood up. She gently ran her fingers at her back.

“Hi Joy”

“Hi Unnie, would you like to join us” her smile is wide

“No thank you, I should go back to my meeting” Irene looked her up and down.

“Take care of your Unnie Joy” she said before walking away.

“You did see her didn’t you?”

Joy just laughed at her showing her mischievous eye smile.