Adagio

Love Between Floors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Adagio, /əˈdɑː(d)ʒɪəʊ/ a tempo marking, indicating that music is to be played slowly. 

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

The next morning after she knew his name, they met each other on the elevator again. This time, she had a friendly smile on her face when he came in. 

“Good morning.” They greeted each other.

The elevator descended and an awkward silence followed.

He stole glances at her, wet his lips then said nervously. “Did you have a good night’s sleep last night?” He played again last night, but this time with her in mind. He wondered if she heard him.

“Yes, thanks to you.” She smiled, remembering the song last night.

“Good to hear that.” He curled his lips up in relief.

“What was the piece last night?”

“It’s called Reverie by Debussy, it means to dream in French.” 

She nodded in awe and muttered. “It lived up to its title. I fell asleep right away after it ended.” 

He chuckled. “Yep. I chose it because it was good for falling asleep.” 

“I’m sorry… if I added burden on you.” She said sheepishly.

“No, no, really. Playing the piano is a good hobby, and I’m glad it helps you too.” He said. “Plus, just so I won’t waste my mom’s money for tuition back then.” He joked. 

She chuckled. “Sure then.”  

………

When she arrived at the gallery with a warm smile, Hayoung knew that she was right. 

“Unnie, the guy you mentioned before, was he the pianist?” Hayoung asked curiously.

“Yea, its him, the man from two floors below.” Naeun nodded.

“How old is he?”

“I didn’t ask. I think in his 20s but he looks young.” Naeun said blandly.

“Did you take a good look at him? You know… even the Son Naeun with high standards think he’s handsome, so that must mean a lot…” She snickered. 

Naeun rolled her eyes. “Hayoung, just because I think he’s handsome, that doesn’t mean anything.” 

Hayoung ignored Naeun’s reaction and pressed on further. “What work does he do?” Naeun paused.  “I haven’t asked yet…”

“Ask him!” Hayoung said excitedly.

“Well…” Naeun hesitated. She wasn’t the type to be interested in making new friends, especially male ones.

Hayoung continued. “You do want to know more about your pianist neighbour right? Just think of him as a new friend and nice neighbour!” 

Naeun raised her eyebrows.“Well… I guess I do have to treat him a meal or something to thank him anyways…” She muttered, then met Hayoung’s excited look. 

Naeun narrowed her eyes. “Why are you being so enthusiastic about it?” 

Hayoung turned her look away from Naeun slyly. 

Naeun sighed. “Hayoung-ah, I’m not interested in a boyfriend just yet so stop forcing me.” 

“I know, I know, unnie… it’s just… you never know! This pianist neighbour might change your mind!” Hayoung winked.

………

Before she could find out more about her pianist neighbour, weekend came along. She stretched out of the ruffled blankets and set out to the mart. She entered with one hand on her trolley and one hand with her list of groceries. When she reached the rows of jars, she scanned and found her strawberry jam on the top of the shelf. She tiptoed and stretched her fingers but she still couldn’t touch the jar. 

She sighed. Before she turned to find some help from the shopkeeper, an arm from her right stretched above her and took down the jar. 

 

She turned sharply.

 

She met his warm smile. 

 

Her heart skipped a beat once again. 

 

“Oh!” She widened her eyes. “Thank you… T-Taemin-ssi.” She said politely, after recovering from his unexpected appearance. 

“No worries.” He said as he passed the strawberry jam to her. “Nice to see you here, Naeun-ssi. You’re here for the groceries?”

She nodded. “You too?”

He nodded. “Yes.”

She fidgeted with her fingers, then glanced at him who held a full basket with one arm. “Do you want to put the basket in my trolley too? Just so you don’t have to hold it around.”

He smiled. “Sure, thanks. I’ll push the trolley then.”

Naeun waved her hands in denial. “N-No, it’s okay, I can push…” 

He shook his head. “It’s fine. I’m done with my grocery list anyways. I can push it around while you finish your list.” He gestured to the small piece of paper in her hand. 

Reluctantly, she nodded her head and thanked him. 

As they walked side by side, with her holding the grocery list and him pushing the trolley, she bit her lip then lifted up her head to start a conversation.

“Yo-” “La-” They both spoke at once. She chuckled awkwardly and he said sheepishly. “Y-You can go first.”

She said lightly. “Last night’s pieces were gre

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter