Con Amore

Love Between Floors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Con Amore - / kɒn əˈmɔːreɪ / - with love

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

 

The emergency exit swung open, as gushes of wind entered the aircraft. Under the directions of flight attendants, Hayoung and Naeun slid down the evacuation slides into the warm, dry air of Milan.

The afternoon sun beamed at the runway, as sirens wailed and red lights blinked, firetrucks shot out water columns at the steaming wheels of the aircraft. 

In the midst of chaos, with her hand clasped against Hayoung’s, Naeun turned back and against the crowd, searching for a silhouette in pilot uniform, with four stripes on his shoulder. However, firefighters, flight attendants and paramedics directed and escorted them quickly. “Please move forward.” They shouted. 

Before she entered the airport, she ce again. Finally, she saw the man she was looking for, standing miles away with furrowed brows, nodding at the police and officials, with a stern and professional glint in his eyes. 

She huffed out a breath in relief. Before she could look again, Hayoung pulled her arm. “Unnie, lets go! Don’t look back!” 

……

Naeun still had her hands tightly clasped with Hayoung’s. They waited at the waiting room, with 300 other passengers. They all stared at the evacuated plane, surrounded by firetrucks, maintenance trucks, workers, as it soaked in water. 

She knew something was wrong when the plane landed. From the heavy to the bolting plane, her mind scattered into fragments of memories. Her fingers trembled and she closed her eyes, wondering if she would end up dying on the plane, along with the passengers here. But she thought of him in the cabin, how he will and how he is trying his best to save everyone, along with her. With her hands clasped with Hayoung’s, she looked forward, as if to send her determination to him in the cabinet.

She didn’t know how long they’ve watched the plane, but she knew. He saved her life. He saved the lives of more than 300 passengers. He kept his promise and he protected her. Tears swell up the rims of her eyes as a mixture of emotions surged up on . Lingerings of the panic when the plane glided on the run way, when she was evacuated, and a surge of relief, gratitude, happiness, that she has been saved, and he, was safe too. She turned to Hayoung, whom also had reddened eyes and embraced her tightly. 

“Unnie…” Hayoung sobbed. “Hayoung-ah…” She sniffled with her as tears streamed down her cheeks. 

“We’re safe. We’re fine now.”

Soon after, the flight attendant notified them that the plane is under control and their belongings can be retrieved. Naeun and Hayoung released each other from their embrace and beamed with wet eyes. She glanced around and saw families, friends, weeping in joy and relief. Naeun smiled. She wondered if he knew, if he knew how much relief he has given to these families and if he knew how important he was to her. 

She went through the immigration, luggage conveyor belt… and entered the arrival lobby of Milan airport. 

“Signorina Son, Signorina Oh.” The secretary from Rossana Orlandi gallery welcomed them at the arrival gate. “I’ve heard the news of your flight. We’re sorry for the events unfolded… it’s great that you’ve arrived safely.” Naeun and Hayoung smiled weakly in response. 

“Let me both of you to your booked hotel.” The secretary directed her arm to the left. 

Naeun stopped her tracks and said apologetically. “I’m sorry, Ms Bianci. Would it be okay if you Hayoung back first?”

Hayoung gave her a puzzled look, then smiled knowingly. 

Naeun added. “I need to wait for someone, so I will arrive at the hotel later.” 

The secretary, Bianci asked in worry. “Do you know the way? We can send people and you back later.”

Naeun shook her head. “No, no. I don’t need to be escorted. I probably have to wait for a few hours.” She gave the secretary a reassuring smile. “I’ll make my own way to the hotel. If anything happens, I’ll call or text you.”

……..

In the end, he got the passengers to safety and their belongings were preserved. 

He remembered the moment he saw her amongst the passengers whom evacuated into the airport, he let out a huge gasp of relief. She was safe. He kept her safe. 

Everything went in a blink of an eye. He went through the safety procedures, coordinating with the firefighters, technicians, workers, he entered the department and explained his situation. He had to record the technical errors on the plane with his officer, Taeyong. He had to write them a report and fill out administrative work. He had to do a follow up and justify his reasons of all his actions. Senior captains rushed into the department and he joined a large meeting regarding the safety of the aircraft. 

7 hours since the evacuation has passed. His hair was ruffled, with eyes lids heavy and his stomach grumbled. The long meeting ended, with conclusion that further investigation was needed to find out why both engines stalled. He stood by the door as his seniors walked out of the room and patted his shoulder. “Taemin-ah, good job.” “You’ve kept everyone safe.” He smiled weakly, with gratitude. “Come back here tomorrow and we’ll go through some of the followup work.” “You’ve done a great job, now go home and rest.” 

Taemin bowed in gratitude. “Thank you sir.” 

As soon as he was excused, he fetched his phone from his suitcase. Messages flooded through his phone, many of his friends whom heard the news came to him. But he ignored them and scrolled frantically down to the one number that he cared for. 

-- Oppa. I’ll wait for you at the Arrival gate. 

……

Naeun sat in a nearby cafe, with a pencil in one hand, and a sketchbook on the table. Soft piano music flowed through her AirPods. 

Whenever she had to spend time alone, she loved to draw. She couldn’t paint, but a small sketch was enough to calm herself down and make her feel relaxed. While sketching, she imagined his fingers flying through and caressing the keys of the piano as he composed the beautiful melody. 

Almost six months ago, when she first heard his piano echoing through the walls, she never knew that he would become a significant person in her life. From knowing him in the lift, to bungee jumping with him… he has became someone who had created so much memories with her.  

He once cured her insomnia, he opened up her tightly closed heart, and now saved her life. 

She realised how important he is to her life. She realised that she loves him, more than any guy she had before.

She was scared before, scared of entering a relationship, scared of loving someone so much, but now, she wasn’t. She knew, he would always be there, protecting her and loving her, just like how he did just now. 

She heard Hayoung’s voi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter