Twenty-two

Why not
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Jongkook and Jihyo were walking on a playground, as he recounted stories from his youth. This was their usual style; Jongkook would talk tirelessly and Jihyo listened along. Some of Jongkook’s stories were not new. A decade of working together, going to the tanning salon together, and being friends meant that they had already known a lot of stories from each other’s pasts, but it hit Jihyo differently to hear them within the location of everything.

They rounded the corner of the play area, until they reached the swings. Jihyo immediately took her seat, “Oppa push me!”

Unable to resist the urge to , Jongkook literally pushed her off the swing, sending her off with a thud to the sand beneath their feet. He chuckled, and Jihyo felt embarrassed. She quickly stood up and aimed to smack Jongkook on the head, but Jongkook was quick on his feet. He ran away from Jihyo, which made her chase after him. They ran like children, laughing and giggling as they went along. 

It was Jihyo who first gave up, unable to catch Jongkook as he ran behind a nearby tree. She took a seat at the nearest spot available — the seesaw. Thankfully, despite the strain on her leg from playing tag with Jongkook, she was able to balance herself even if the seesaw was too low. 

When Jongkook noticed where they were, he asked, “Have I ever told you what significant life moment I’ve had on this seesaw?”

Jihyo quickly racked her brain for a story about a seesaw, but she couldn’t remember any. So she shook her head in response. 

“This is where I had my first kiss.”

Jihyo’s eyes widened at the revelation. “Ey Oppa, this is a kids’ playground. Why would you do that here?!” Then, she stomped off, huffing as she went along, “Also, is that right? You bring me here and tell me this is where you had your first kiss. What am I supposed to do with that information?”

Jongkook trailed after her, peeking at her pouty face from beside her. “Nothing. I’m just sharing it with you. Wae?”

“Nothing,” Jihyo felt herself calm down. This time, she was riddled with curiosity for this story. “Geundae, when did you have your first kiss Oppa?” she asked as she leaned her back by one of the playground climbers. 

“Hm… some time in high school I think,” Jongkook surmised.

“Weren’t there people around? I’d think in the 90s, a place like this would be swamped with kids,” Jihyo said.

Jongkook clicked his tongue. “Do I look like a fool to kiss a girl in public? Aniya Jihyo-yah. I was walking her home, and this place was empty. It just happened.”

“How does a kiss just happen between two people? What - you just happened to bump into each other and your lips just attach?” Jihyo said in disbelief.

Jongkook looked around the area. It was as quiet as a grave, with no trace of people. “Must you really know the story, huh?” he challenged Jihyo.

“Dangyeonaji! You don’t just bring up stories, then decide not to continue sharing them!” Jihyo crossed her arms, huffing in annoyance.

“How should I tell this story anyway? Hm… where do I start?” Jongkook was still standing in front of her, but his hand absentmindedly sought out hers. He began to tell her about his first girlfriend; the girl had been from his class, and he asked her out because his friends had prodded him to do so, after receiving word that the girl was interested in him. They had been dating for a few weeks by then, and Jongkook, being the gentleman that he was, always walked the girl home. This playground was the midpoint between his house, her house, and their school, and so they have spent many afternoons after class, munching on whatever snack they could pick-up from the stores nearby and sitting on one of the park benches. 

“She was talkative. That much I remember,” Jongkook said with a bit of a chuckle. “But it didn’t matter that her stories were endless. I was just happy she was interested in me. Aish, jinjja, why was I like that as a child?”

Jihyo laughed, putting her hand on his cheek before saying, “That’s because you were so gullible!” Then she pinched his cheek, making Jongkook cry out in pain.

He protested Jihyo’s actions, decrying the use of violence when she was the one who asked him to tell the story. Jihyo merely put her tongue out in teasing, and Jongkook found it immensely adorable. He couldn’t help but draw her into an embrace before continuing with the story. Jihyo felt herself settle in Jongkook’s arms.

“Anyway, as I was saying, we usually end up here just talking. But that day, I got her to tell me what she liked about me. And, the moment just felt like it was there. So we kissed,” he nonchalantly shared.

Jihyo protested the anticlimactic way by which Jongkook shared the story. Jongkook merely said, “What were you expecting Jihyo-yah? A reenactment? That was really how my first kiss happened. We just ended up kissing.”

“But it’s your first kiss Oppa! Surely it wasn’t that boring even for you!” Jihyo practically whined.

Jongkook was amused at Jihyo’s insistence that his story be shared with flair. He didn’t see the point, and he was also getting uncomfortable talking about his childish dalliance, but he definitely wouldn’t turn down the opportunity to turn this around. “Geurae, so you want details,” he began, drawing her closer into his embrace.

“I think my first kiss began with me tucking away a stubborn strand of her hair,” he said with a low voice, making Jihyo blush as her mind immediately registered what Jongkook was trying to do. Jongkook smirked before continuing, “And then, I stared into her eyes. I’m pretty sure she got very shy… much like you at this m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter