One

Why not
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Saengil chukhahamnida Oppa!” Jihyo’s voice rang out along with the other birthday greetings for Kim Jong Kook for his birthday episode. He was turning 44 that year, and the show decided to hold a race in his honor, with missions that were based on his skills and hobbies. 

“And that’s a wrap,” Jaesuk concluded for everyone, tapping on Kwangsoo to signal that he should clap to mark the end of the shoot. The rest of the cast and crew were ready to pack up and go home; Jongkook, however, had other plans. 

He cleared his voice to grab everyone’s attention. “Yeoreobun, thank you for this episode. And thank you Seokjin Hyeong and Sechan-ah for my gifts. Let me treat you all to a dinner. It feels wrong to have celebrated a birthday episode and not treat everyone to dinner,” he said, scratching his head. He’s still shy about having any sort of birthday celebration. 

To his surprise, everyone clapped, and very quickly people doubled down on the speed at which they packed everything up — obviously anticipating the upcoming free dinner ahead.

As Jongkook stared at the sight, he felt a hand clasp his shoulders, “Yah! Kook-jong ah, you don’t have to do this you know.” It was Jaesuk.

“Ani hyeong. I insist.”

“Geurae. But expect us to bring the cake the staff bought for you. You have to blow the candle again at the party, but properly this time,” Jaesuk said, smirking while pointing in the direction of Sechan, Kwangsoo, and Bopil, laughing as they helped pack up Jongkook’s birthday cake.

“Okay, okay. Arasseo,” he finally agreed, shaking his head. 

The dinner went well. Jongkook didn’t anticipate that he’d have to throw in a birthday dinner, before he went to the shoot that day. But after the opening segment, he quickly gave word to Gapjin to reserve a samgyeopsal place that can accommodate everyone.

It was an amusing night, with Somin making a surprise appearance after Jihyo informed her of the sudden invitation to a birthday dinner. Jaesuk, Sechan, and Kwangsoo held Jongkook to his word to blow his birthday candles properly this time, after the entire cast and crew sang his birthday song. He blushed the entire time out of mortification. 

But finally, much like any Korean dinner party, the soju and beer came flowing. After two glasses, Jaesuk and Seokjin went ahead, as was expected. Kwangsoo and Sechan kept pouring drinks for themselves, while Somin tried to catch up with the rest of the crew.

Haha, Jongkook, and Jihyo were separated from everyone, admiring what was happening. “I didn’t think Somin would come. Shouldn’t she be resting?” Jongkook asked. 

Jihyo, being the one who invited Somin, answered, “Ah Oppa, you know Somin isn’t the type to miss a gathering like this. Plus, she did say she’s doing a bit better. What’s one night out going to do? It’s not like she’s over exerting herself anyway.”

“I’m just saying if she needs to rest, she needs to discipline herself and really get her full rest. That way she doesn’t end up having any problems like we do. She may be our maknae, but she’s not getting any younger either,” Jongkook explained.

Jihyo kept her blank face, knowing there’s no point trying to reason out with Jongkook when he nags about their health. But Haha easily maneuvered his way into another topic he preferred to discuss, “Ah hyeong, quit nagging us about getting older. You’re the one who’s turning 44 and you’re still not married. You’re not even dating.”

Jongkook threw him a side glance. “Yah Donghoon-ah. There aren’t any cameras here.  You don’t need to tease me anymore about my age or my lack of a relationship.”

“I’m just concerned, Hyeong. I’m not even teasing you just because it happens to be your consistent character across all your variety shows. You still need to get married, period. You want to get married, period. So it has to happen and the time is ticking.”

Jongkook sighed, “I know that. But at the same time, getting married isn’t simple. I need to find someone. Just because you and Go-Eun went through things quickly doesn’t mean it will be easy for me. I need to find someone who will understand me well enough.”

“Yeah,” Jihyo jumped into the conversation.  “But also, Oppa, you’ll need someone who understands the work you do.We can’t have people in our lives that are too demanding of our time, or worse, gets jealous at even the slightest of things. Wah daebak! That’s really hard to find nowadays.”

“Exactly, Jihyo-yah!” Jongkook immediately agreed. He turned to Haha, “see that’s the thing Donghoon-ah. You’re lucky Go-Eun is also a celebrity, so she understands your job and what it demands of you. Can’t say the same for me and the women I’ve met in my blind dates.”

Haha scrunched his eyebrows, as Jongkook and Jihyo animatedly talked about the times their blind dates and relationships failed due to their career. At this point, Haha already knew he’s losing out in the conversation, as the other two are at staunch agreement given their similar dating situations - or lack thereof. Just as Jihyo and Jongkook started talking about how their parents always nagged them about getting married, Haha made a show out of getting bored by yawning quite loudly. That ought to get his hyeong’s attention. 

It did. “Donghoon-ah, a yawn? Out of nowhere? Are you bored?” Jongkook called him out. 

“You both are no fun. You keep talking about the problems of being single. But none of you want to do anything about it. It’s becoming annoying, jinjja!!”

“It’s not like I never tried, Oppa,” butted in Jihyo. “Jongkook Oppa has also tried his luck. It’s not our fault fate doesn’t seem to work in our favor! It’s also getting tiring to try so hard for it to happen. It’ll come when it comes.”

Haha visibly softened when he heard her. “Jihyo-yah, I’m not saying you should go out every night or chase after guys. But you can’t expect fate to happen when you won’t let it happen to you. How will you meet someone if you refuse to meet people to begin with?”

“I don’t need to meet people. It could be a chance meeting. Or more importantly, I don’t need new friends. I already have you guys, my family, and my other friends...”

“...but it’s not like you’re going to date any of us!” Haha finished for her. 

Jihyo took the opportunity to horse around. She sat closer to Haha, brushed her hair behind her ear, and put her hand on his shoulder. “How are you sure Oppa?” she asked Haha with a smirk. 

He immediately pushed Jihyo away, “Aish, Jihyo-yah! I’m already married!” He held up his  left hand to show his wedding ring. “If you want to date any of us, you should put your efforts on that guy instead,” he pointed at Jongkook, who was still looking at the entire scene with amusement written all over his face. Haha knew Jihyo was sensitive about any mention of dating between her and Jongkook after all those out-of-nowhere rumors that came out years ago. That ought to shut her up.

“Ah Oppa,” she slapped Haha’s shoulder. She relaxed into the couch she was sitting on, waving her arms in an attempt to discount what he just said. “You know I’ve already learned my lesson about dating someone from work. Besides, Jongkook Oppa is my friend, and it’s been what? 10 years since we’ve known each other? Getting together is just weird now.”

“Think about it though; it’s much better than having to go out and meet people you don’t know. You don’t have to waste your time getting to know someone only to find out they’re unlikeable. You already like Jongkook Hyeong anyway; you’re similar in many ways,” Haha reasoned out. 

Jongkook poured himself a shot of soju, while smirking and staring at Haha. “Neo – why do you keep bringing this up? I mean, I get it when you do it for the show. I don’t get why you’re doing it now when it’s just us. Do you really want to annoy me on my birthday?”

Jihyo sat back, watching Haha get a bit startled upon hearing Jongkook. This will be amusing, she thought. But she was surprised when Haha maintained his composure and answered back, “Exactly, Hyeong. Do I look like my character right now? I’m not, because,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter