Might As Well

Epoch
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Past (2014)

"Isn't it hard?" she asked while sipping her hot choco.

I gave her a glance before resumed typing on my laptop. Gods, these school works seem to have no end. 

"What is?" I asked while reading my essay for the nth time today and it still feels lacking.

"Your situation?" I raised my brow in question and she continued, "Transferring in your last year of college?"

My fingers hovered over the keyboard for a moment before I sighed. I ran my eyes on the whole document before deciding to just save my file and close the laptop since I couldn't get past half of the body.

"It's better to be here than back there," I mumbled to myself before grabbing my caramel macchiato. I took a sip and cracked my neck from the fatigue of looking down.

She leaned closer to me, her face visibly confused. "What did you say?"

I internally rejoiced while thanking the heavens that she didn't hear what I muttered. "I said, your caramel macchiato taste a lot sweeter now."

She hummed and smiled, straightening her back once again. "Because I now know what you like and adjusted the taste to your preference. But back to my question, you're okay, right? With the coping and all."

Three months had already passed in my first semester here but I'm still adjusting to my life now. The Park's are great, though Rosie isn't still talking to me but I gave up on the idea of us being okay again. I don't know if she's still avoiding me to let me find my own friends or she's just being childish. Whatever her reason is, I'll just steer clear from her so there will be less drama for us both.

Also I got used to the stares and hello's from unfamiliar people. It's nice, now that I think of it. It kinda helps me to be in good mood to see people smile and say hi even I don't remember who they are. I've also made friends with Lisa and her gang and also with my cousin's clique.

Everything is going well, but the workloads are just too much that sometimes I can't even breathe nor have fun on the weekends.

I eyed the brown liquid on my cup and sighed, "It is." 

"Don't worry." She shifted in her seat and slowly took my hand in hers. "I'm here. I'll help you."

I smiled, suddenly warm and happy for the kind gesture. "Thanks but," I glanced through the whole shop, looking for a certain person, "Your friend wouldn't mind, right?"

"Who?"

"I saw you talking to her before. When I first came here?" I slightly tugged my hand back, giving her the hint that I'm going to drink my coffee.

Realization dawned on her and she chuckled and shook her head. "Oh. She's not my friend. She's my sister."

"I didn't know that. She must be pretty, too." I gave her subtle wink which made her laugh and punch my arm playfully.

"You're too young to be that greasy, you know."

"You made it sound like you're ten years older than me."

"Heh." She shrugged, "I like to maintain my mature image around here."

I looked around the cafe and I am still in awe of its beauty and the classy but homey vibes it exudes. Just like its owner. Classy yet friendly.

"Must be nice," I murmured, my lips hovering over the cup. "Young, beautiful and successful."

She also looked around the place, a small contented smile was dancing on her heart shaped lips. "It wasn't easy."

I shook my head but with a smile, I gave her a proud look. "Never said it was but you're here now, right? Everything worked out for you. I'm proud of you." 

She hummed in response but her eyes stayed on me. She was smiling and I returned that smile but after a few minutes of staring, I had to avert my eyes, clear my throat and open my laptop once again.

I was distracted with my essay that I didn't know how many minutes or hours had passed since I begun working on my project again when Jisoo chuckled. I looked up and she was shaking her head while gathering my things. I looked at her blankly, trying to figure out why she's putting my things inside my bag without my permission.

"Uhm, excuse me but those are my things." I sarcastically said.

She clicked her tongue and shook her head once again. "Jennie. Jennie. Jennie."

With my raised brow, I asked, "What?" 

She stood up and extended both of her a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter