Heart Shaped Lips

Epoch
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We walked from the restaurant until we reached our block. I looked up once again, hoping to see clearer skies and star without too much light pollution and I wasn't disappointed. They were still a little hazy but the slight twinkling of them in the night sky was unmistakable.

 

I tucked my hands inside the pocket of my coat, warming them up in this chilly night. "You've gone quiet."

 

Rosie cleared and hooked her arm on mine.

 

"Unnie,"

 

Oh no.

 

I looked beside me and she was fidgety. "Please don't call me that. It makes me nervous. You're making me nervous."

 

"Unnie," she pouted.

 

I removed her arm on mine and faced her. We stopped from walking and I realized we were almost in our street.

 

I raised my brow at her.

 

"I have a favor to ask." She sheepishly said.

 

"Please tell me you're not staying." I begged her.

 

Her shoulders slumped and when I looked at her, she was giving me her puppy eyes. "Can I stay?"

 

"Oh please no."

 

"But- But I walked you home. Even though you didn't ask for it."

 

"Chae-"

 

"I also paid for your meal..." she looked down and played with her hands. "My presence also comforted you,"

 

I lips twitched at what she said and I suddenly burst out laughing. "You're quite conceited, aren't you?"

 

She gave me her biggest grin and a peace sign. "I learned from the best."

 

I sighed and continued walking. Once we reached our house, I searched for the key on my tiny purse and stepped inside.

 

"You're gonna freeze outside," I said.

 

"But you haven't said yes yet." She whispered.

 

I cringed at the thought. "Ew. I don't like , Chaeng!"

 

She laughed at my joke but remained standing outside.

 

"I swear to God Rosie if I don't see your beside me in ten seconds I'll close this damn door and let you freeze."

 

She immediately went inside and dashed towards my room. I followed her and saw her sprawled at my bed, ready to sleep.

 

"Wash up first." I said as I close the door to check on my mom.

 

"Where are you going?" She asked, sitting straight up.

 

"I'm gonna check on m-"

 

"Don't." I raised my brow in confusion.

 

"She's not here," she whispered.

 

"You're a psychic now? She didn't mention she'll leave."

 

She fidgeted under my gaze and sighed.

 

"Mom-" she said but was interrupted when we heard something being broken at the first floor.

 

"Well, I suppose that's her. Let me check on her."

 

I turned my back on her, ready to leave but she held me in place by grabbing my arm. Chaeng stood infront of the door, blocking my way out.

 

"I don't think that's a good idea."

 

"Let me out."

 

"I'm sorry. Mom said that it's best if you leave her for now."

 

"She's back at it?" I mumbled to myself when realization hit me. Rosé became quiet and pursed her lips.

 

I scoffed, not believing this . "So, she's really back at it."

 

I walked towards my bed and sighed. "You can wash up now. I'm not going outside."

 

She looked at me with apprehension but I just closed my eyes and pretended to sleep. I heard her footsteps heading towards the comfort room and that's when my tears started to fall.

 

I didn't know I fell asleep until I felt something stir beside me.

 

"Chaeng," I whispered, hoping that she's still awake.

 

"Hmm?" She hummed in response.

 

"Help me." I croaked, feeling all the emotions seep in.

 

She didn't say anything so I continued. "Help me have a job."

 

"Where?"

 

"At the company you're going to work for. Anywhere. I need to find a job. Please."

 

"I'll try, okay? Give me a month or two." She mumbled sleepily.

 

"Thank you."

 

--------

 

Three long agonizing months have passed and I didn't get hired or received a call from Rosé's company or to all the places I've applied to. She told me that she did everything she could but having no position nor connections, it didn't do so much for me to get a job.

 

I stood infront of my mom, passed out and she stank of alcohol and sweat and something sour and sickly. I quickly looked away knowing exactly what the foul smell was.

 

It's already 3 in the morning but she just got home awhile ago, cursing at me for being useless and breaking things just because I couldn't give her what she wants.

 

I picked up all trash and cleaned up the broken pieces of the jar I bought during law school. Seeing it's broken state, my eyes watered and I held back a sob.

 

I hate that jar. I hated it so much but I couldn't deny the fact that I once loved it and cared for it. Seeing it scattered on the flo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter