Chapter 2

Marrying a stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I have loved you even before I had the courage to talk to you the day I saw you reading your nerdy book in the library. I’m the luckiest to be here with the same girl I loved in my senior year in college eight years ago. I get to watch you change to be the best version of yourself and become the woman you are today. Myoui Mina, will you give me the honor to love you and only you for the rest of our lives? I want to live my whole life changing and growing with you. Will you marry me?” Is all that Mina can hear over the sound of her herbeat and Adele singing make you feel my love in the background. 

Her tears starts to flow and her hands starts to shake while her girlfriend gets down on one knee and shows her a simple ring with a silver band and an aquamarine stone. Her birthstone. Her heart is beating erratically she feels like it’s gonna explode any minute now from all the happiness she is feeling at the sight of everything her girlfriend has prepared tonight.

Today is their eighth year anniversary as a couple. Mina is a general surgeon and had just finished a sixteen hour shift at the hospital her family owns in Seoul while her girlfriend works as an all around handywoman who's always on call. She’s a carpenter, a mechanic, a plumber, anything that needs to be fixed as long as it pays money, her girlfriend can do it.

Mina just wants to come home and order sushi take outs and sleep but instead she arrives at their apartment and sees that her girlfriend has decorated their place with fairy lights and candle lights. She also cooked for their dinner and set up a table for two. The floor is covered with petals of red roses and an old record player that her girlfriend recently bought from a pawnshop is playing Adele’s songs softly.

Before her girlfriend got down on one knee they have just finished their dinner and are just talking about their day over a glass of red wine when her girlfriend decided to give her another surprise.

And now here she is, speechless and shaking while her beautiful girlfriend waits for her answer.

“Yes!” Is all Mina can manage to say. It almost came out as a whisper but her girlfriend hears her, she always does, and puts the ring on her finger. Mina looks at the ring and the light blue colored stone glimmers in the semi darkness of their living room. Her girlfriend gets up and Mina launches herself at her to wrap her in an endearing hug which her girlfriend gladly accepts with equal warmth.

“I love you so much, Myoui Mina.” Mina hears her whisper while she feels light kisses on her hair and forehead.

“And here I am thinking that the dream I had of you proposing to me while I was choking on a chicken wing bone will come true! You really made an effort to get me, huh? I love you too, so much, Hirai Momo.” Mina recalls about a dream she had a year ago of Momo proposing while they were eating at an unlimited chicken wing restaurant. The two of them would often bring it up and laugh about it given that the dream is so Momo. Someone who randomly does things just because she feels like it.

Both of them look at each other's eyes, stupidly grinning and it is Mina who loses her composure and places a ravaging kiss on her fiancée’s waiting lips.


-----------xxx-----------

Mina met Momo when she wasn’t even expecting it. She's in her junior year in university and was definitely not reading a nerdy book when they first met. “How to win games and beat people” isn’t nerdy, she just wanna have some advantage when playing board games!

Mina was so engrossed with reading the book and the thought of winning every board games during their family game nights that she didn’t even noticed a tall, well built student standing in front of her table and talking to her like they're long time best friends.

Long story short Momo asked Mina if she’s Japanese like her ("I thought you're a Japanese too because the surname on your nameplate is Myoui. My surname is Hirai!"), where in Japan did she come from ("Oh you're from Kobe? Must be nice to live close to the water. I'm from Kyoto!"), why is she studying in Seoul ("Wow! You must be super rich. I only study here just for the sake of having the school's prestigious name on my resume when I'm ready for an office job.")  and hundreds of other questions only to end up asking her out on a date (Hey Mina... if you're not busy, do you wanna have coffee with me sometime?") when she was ready to leave the library. All confused and shocked that a senior crassly

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter