Chapter 1.

Marrying a stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Is this everything that needs to be signed for today Mister Kim?” A woman with short blonde hair asks a man in a business suit without even looking at him while sitting on her office chair, her hands are busy signing and scanning through a pile of documents on her table. 

She lets out a sigh showing her exhaustion as she signs the last few documents and hands it back to the man standing in front of her desk with a tablet in his hand.

 

“Yoo Jeongyeon - Assistant Vice President” A desk name plate with her name written in gold is on the table along with a slick work computer and calendar. Jeongyeon likes to keep everything simple. For her having too much in her space brings chaos to her mind.

Her personal office which is located on the thirty-fifth floor of their forty-story building would be barren if not for the leather couches and a coffee table where she helds urgent and spontaneous meetings. The only thing she likes best about her office are the floor to ceiling glass walls where she gets a good view of the skyscrapers with the artificial and natural greenery complimenting the state of the art buildings on the outside.

She gives her secretary some time to double check the pages that she might have missed out so she fishes out her phone from her drawer to check for her messages. She sees one name from her messages that automatically makes her smile.

She clicks on the message.

“I can’t wait to see you tonight, babe.” It read.

Before Jeongyeon can type a reply, she hears her secretary speak. “Yes, Miss Yoo. This will be everything for today. Your schedule is all clear on the weekends too. You can enjoy a very well deserved rest for two days.”

She smiles at the thought.

Finally, she can have some time for herself.

“That goes for you as well Mister Kim. I have a last request before I let you go to cuddle with your wife tonight. Will you be an angel and book me and a friend a table for two at the usual? Around 8 PM. Order their finest wine... Maybe their best cake too. Tonight feels like a good night to celebrate the warm reception my project has receieved.” Jeongyeon grins at the thought of planning a simple surprise. She isn’t the romantic type but tonight she feels bold and the weight lifted from her shoulder from closing the project she had been working on for months is a good mood booster.

“Ah. I see. Will you finally ask her to be your girlfriend, Miss Yoo? If that’s the case I will make the experience unforgettable for the both of you. Shall I book a hotel room so you’ll have a place to talk after your dinner?” Mister Kim gives her a fond smile. Mister Kim, a man in his early fifties has been her trusted secretary since she started working at her father’s company after she graduated MBA with flying colors from Stanford University at the age of twenty one. She's now twenty seven and has been working for their company for the last six years and Mister Kim took on the role of a father figure for Jeongyeon. She sometimes wishes she’s his child so she doesn’t have to go under her own father’s scrutinizing eyes all the time.

Jeongyeon shakes her head gently at what her secretary suggested, while giving a warm smile at his attempt at a kind gesture.

“If everything goes well later, we’ll just go to my place.”

“You must be serious this time to allow her to come to your immaculately clean house.” The secretary jokes and Jeongyeon can only playfully snicker.

It’s true.

She doesn’t allow anyone to enter her house because she’s a neat freak. She doesn’t even hire a maid and does the cleaning herself. Somehow having control over the smallest things is Jeongyeon’s only way to have a sense of control of her life because all her life, all she did is follow whatever her parent’s want for her.

“Very well, child. I’m saying this as your favorite dad, I wish you good luck for later even when I know it will all go according to plan seeing that she adores you as much as you adore her. Enjoy your weekend together.” Mister Kim smiles, bows as a sign of respect for her and moves to exit her office. 

Jeongyeon takes her phone out and types a reply to the message she read earlier.

“Me too. I already booked a table for us at the usual. 8pm. I’ll see you later babe.” She smiles as she presses the send button. She then opens her contact list to dial her driver’s number so he can prepare her car downstairs but before she can, a call on her phone interrupts her. “President Yoo” is on display on her phone screen.

She takes a deep breath before answering.

“Yes, hello? Good evening President.” Jeongyeon speaks, void of any emotion.

“Come to our house tonight. I have something very important to discuss with you.” President Yoo, her own father says, also void of emotions and always straight to the point.

“As much as I want to, I have a very important meeting tonight-“ she didn’t even get to finish what she’s about to say when her father interrupts her.

“No you don’t. I asked Mister Kim about your schedule two hours ago. We don’t have any plans for upcoming business launch or mergers. Nothing is more important than that. Do you need to be reminded that you are talking not just to your father but your boss? You work for me so when I say you will come to my house, you will. Understood?” Her father’s voice echoes over the phone. Jeongyeon can only tighten her grip at her phone, wanting to throw it away but then she knows better than to disobey and bite the hand who feeds her so she speaks “okay” on the phone. 

Her father goes o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter