The Forgotten Song

Beautiful Tragedy (Short Story)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The lavender scent of the waiting room brought a sense of ease. It was painted with teal with grey wicker chairs and a few plants upon the window pane. With a warm drink and a podcast it was as good as being at home but not really home. Upon the blue leather seats they took those waiting room moments to relax and breathe. She still not letting go of his hand and an ounce of fear is again enveloping her. They were carried out to safety, everything's going back to how it used be, she may lose him again in a blink of an eye.

"I hope Star arrives before they ask us questions.", she heard him said.

She nodded and saw him swayed the curtain and looked outside. She can't think normally. She just want to leave and that island is a much happier place than getting into safety. She stood up and went closer to him while unconsciously rubbing her palms.

"Do.. do you think they have an idea who you are?"

He met her stare and saw how worried she was. That worry is prodding and it telling him that she's is in love, and he's proud of that. He loves her too. But behind those stares, she's afraid again, and he can't blame her for feeling a little miserable. Being left behind by the one you love is the worst feeling in the world.

"Come here.", he said and pulled her near. "Don't worry too much. I already settled everything with Star. We're heading to Japan. He's on his way here to pick us up."

"They're going to ask us our names. We can't lie about it. Once they knew who you are, it's breaking news. How can we fled if that happens?", she anxiously muttered.

"Maybe they can't recognize me, they're not Asians. Nobody's knows I'm alive except Star. Even if Soo Min will know I survived the plane crash, it will be too late for to see us here or even in Korea. Star already knows what to do."

"She's swift and powerful. She can take you away from me that easy.", she muttered again.

Her worries are getting way out of hand. She's not the kind that worries much, she's a carefree soul, and suddenly that blithe attitude fades away.

"Shin Hye, stop it.", he shook his head fast. "I promised you, remember? What I said on that island are geniune and I'm ready to leave everything behind just to be with you. Trust me on this."

She felt the shifting of gears within the cosmos. The universe has begun to change course. A different future is coming, a better one that they would have had if they  had not struggled for love before. He is now wanting to sing for love and strive for something he really want. He is now ready to breakfree, with her and the love they have kept that someone's trying to break.

"Reporters are here. They wanted to have a short interview with you both."

A police officer peaks at the door. They were both appalled and couldn't answer fast.

"Is that really necessary? We are just normal people. And besides you already took some information about us. Just let us leave.", Yonghwa tried to hesitate.

"I think it is. Air Seoul's crash is a devastating news and everyone thinks no one survives the tragedy. And besides this interview will get your family to know you're alive. It won't take long. We need to send you back to you country immediately."

"I already talked to my body... I mean, my uncle. He knows I'm alive.", he reluctantly said.

"I live alone. There's no use for me to do that. I don't have any family left.", Shin Hye asserted.

The police officer looked at them seriously and clicks his tongue.

"It's necessary.", he sternly said.
"Come on, follow me. Reporters are waiting outside."

Shin Hye felt she was flushed with coldness all over making her mind to suddenly pause. He held her hand, pressed it to tight to calm her unsteadiness.

"I can clearly understand your worries, Babe.", he again tried to pacify. "But we need to face that crowd. It's our way out. And whatever happens, don't let go of my hand."

She nodded fast even her heart is about to burst.

"Good. You're doing a great job.", he said.

He cupped her face and felt the warmness against the cold skin. She's terrified but fighting it. They went of the room and the anticipated small crowd of reporters was a hoax. Camera flash flickers like lightning and he wasn't prepared to cover his face. He lead her carefully to the seat and sitted next to her without lifting his head up.

"How did you survive the plane crash? Are you both Korean?", the eager reporter asked them fast.

"Deh. We're Koreans.", Yonghwa answered timidly.

"Can you tell us your names?", another one queried.

"Pa.. Park Shin Hye..", she stammered and wandered her eyes away from the never ending camera flash.

"What about you, sir?"

He was stunned for a while. What is it to say? He told her to tell the truth but it seems like he got the wrong plan. Someone might know him. But no. They're a different race and most especially didn't have the flight manifest. He squeezed her hang tight under the table and decides to lie. They're running away somehow so screw everything.

"Park Yong Hwa.", he clearly stated.

Her eyes grew big hearing his utmost response. Shock can be good, sometimes can be bad, yet it is always a signal that a change in game is required. She gathered and thoughts and acted serious while trusting the process, he is trying to play and she decides to ride along when he begin to secretly squeeze her hand again.

"You are both carrying the same surname? Are you a married couple?"

And another blow. She couldn't believe the questions that was thrown is getting more difficult to answer. She glanced at him and can see he's also getting wobbly. She opened to again speak.

"We..."

"Yes, we are.", he bravely stated.

His statement brought silence and a quietness within her. It suddenly felt quiet and alk she could ever heart was the pounding of her heart. It was a spur of a moment that she felt her emotions change gear and girder her soul for what is to come. It is finding herself unexpectedly on a platform, train approaching, realizing that this time the destination is not a choice.

Then his savior finally appeared to save them from a totally doubtful situation. Savestar, his most trusted bodyguard, showed up in the middle of the chaotic crowd. Yonghwa pulled Shin Hye's hand and stood up. He is not answering anymore questions. He leads the way to escape the messy crowd but halted when someone shouts his name out loud. It echoed in the whole room, stopping them to make another step.

"Jung Yong Hwa! I knew it! You're Jung Yong Hwa! You're the famous rockstar in South Korea. I read about it that you were aboard Air Seoul Flight 719."

Damn it!

If there's something he regret at that time, it's the thing that he said yes to an interview. The news will spread like a wildfire and Soo Min will know. She's smoother than a detective and can fly straight away to where he is. But he wouldn't let that happen. He felt like he was in scene from a movie, unbelievably and freaking real. He is running away with the love of his life, leaving all everything behind, even the fame that he got.

He pushed the man that's blocking their way and covered Shin Hye's face to leave the now disarrayed group. Their screams were  getting intense, and when he gets back on his shoulders, Star is having a hard time pacifying the crowd.

"Yonghwa, they're following us.", he heard her said.

"Let's head to the back door. Hurry!", he quickly replied.

"It's not a good idea telling them we're married.", she blurted while running fast.

He chuckled. "Why? It's getting real soon."

"I can't believe you thought of joking around while we are being chased.", she answered while gasping for air.

They reached an unfamiliar parking lot and stopped. He moved his sight around and couldn't recognized the vehice Star is driving. He grabbed her fast to hide behind a dark corner and wished Star will appear soon.

"Now what?", she asked.

"We'll wait for Star. I don't know where he parked the car.", he answered.

She looked at him. Underneath his worries and serious expression is a steady love. She couldn't believe the moment they are into and much more his seriousness to go away and be with her. In that one stirring moment, she saw the man she loved with all his heart and the man he was before. He is her knight. The very same person who promised to protect her in every way possible and now taking his chance to prove it all over again.

She cupped his face for it was quite unbelievable. Her mind was sent reeling, unable to comprehend the realness of the circumstance by her eyes. She pressed his face softly and he met her gaze. It is real. It really is.

"Don't give me that stare. I wanted to kiss you too but this is not the right place and time.", he chuckled.

She hit his arm and he laughs even harder.

"I really can't believe you.", she hushed while shaking her head.

"I know what you're trying to say. Whatever it is that's coming, we will cope. I promise.", he said.

For a while, he was surprised for his acts. He never felt scared making her promises and standing strong for it. And for the first time in his life, he never felt alive amidst the chaos. Even the next unforeseen dangers are not fearing him anymore. He is already decided. He will live the life that was stolen from him for the last two years. He will live it well with her by his side.

She's biting her lip and that is his weakness. It is not the right place nor the right time but something inside him is pushing him to feel the softness of it. Her eyes grew wide seeing him leaning closer, pushing her a little further hitting her back on the wall. Holy crap, she wanted it too. She wanted his lips to touch hers everyday and everyday of her life. She closed her eyes and again lost to herself.  Screw everything. She needed comfort and his mouth could only do it.

"Jung Yonghwa-ssi!"

They leaped hearing a tire screeched just right in front them.

"Get in! Quick!"

He grabbed her fast and get themselves settled in the vehicle. Only then they breathe for relief.

"Did you do what I told you?", he asked.

Star nodded fast without taking his sight away form the road.

"Deh. The private plane is now waiting in a private airport."

"Good.", he sighed in relief. "Gumawo, Star. I know I can really trust you."

"Are you really sure about this, Jung Yonghwa-ssi?", he paused. "I mean, are you really leaving your career for good?"

He paused and looked at him in the rearview mirror. He can clearly understands Star. He's confused about his sudden decision. He can call him serious and ridiculous, that's okay. Because at times like that, it would be insane to smile. He knows he wanted to tell him he is taking the wrong path. But he couldn't understand that being with Soo Min is a torment and he is becoming a whole different person, a cold and insensitive human living on earth. It created cold logic that brings cruel choices. For in the absence of love the greatest logic is rendered stupid in the worst way.

"I've never been this damn sure my whole life.", he bravely stated while holding her hand.

For it takes love to bring him to a smile and the very reason is on his side. The path he is taking maybe uncertain but his feet swirls with a warm energy, a sense of nurture and love; his whole being is a constant light in any weather, to feel nothing but gratitude and positivity. It's time to finally wean himself off the poison of power and control. It's time to smile every day, inside and out. It's time to live and love again.
___________________________________________________

The wrinkled toxic stick had a slow creeping stench. Within moments its chemicals invaded everything she was, from a sickly yellow film over her skin to the air in her lungs. The cigarette smoke had an entitlement, she felt closer to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter