Paradise Lost

Beautiful Tragedy (Short Story)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

His smile is the prettiest thing she have even seen in a while, reflecting his heart, so vibrant and free. His smile was one of happiness growing, much as a spring flower opens. She could see how it came from deep inside to light his eyes and spread into every part of him. His smile goes viral around the room, how can it not? It is like the sunshine and the birdsong, it is the silencing of the clocks, it is both the cage and the ever open door.

She moved closer, equally smiling and happy, and gave him the tightest embrace he really wanted to feel.

"I'm so happy for you.", she said.

Who wouldn't? And it's the truth. She's genuinely happy for the sudden shift of his life. She always believed in him and knows he will make it. After all the longest time of hard work and tears, his dream finally came true.

"I couldn't believe it. This... It's so overwhelming. This is unbelievable, Babe. Is this really happening? I.. I'm.. This is only a dream, right?", he muttered and stuttering.

She poked his head and let out a giggle.

"What was that?", he confusedly asked.

"To make you realize you're not dreaming."

There are so many ways she smiles and laugh, and only a few are told with her lips. But that time it's something more and deep, he can see her innermost happiness reflecting into her face, so seductively beautiful. It was the most beautiful thing on earth he was thankful to have. The overwhelming feeling is too hard to ignore and he quickly leaned closer to conquer her smiling lips to stop her laugh.

She was not surprised for his sudden kiss. He does that everytime he is extremely happy and she loves the feel of it. It's the kind of kiss that's making her whole and complete. A kiss that sparks love to an ever bright flame. In his kiss is the promise of years and the sweetness of waiting for real love and everytime, she surrenders. She kissed him back deeper than she used to do. The kind of kiss that is longing and wanting not to be left behind. He is taking a different path. What assurance will she have having him still after he explores the messy entertainment world?

She's taking his kiss wholeheartedly and he was thrilled to feel her responding. Surely they've kissed for too many times already. They have been together for almost six years, a wonderful six years of his life. She is his rock, his number one fan, his happiness, weakness and strength. She believed in him when nobody else will. She stood strong for him to reach that dream when nobody else can. He never know where will he be without her, maybe in never ending frustrations and despair.

He moved his lips against hers, wanting more, more of what, he cannot say. He pulled her closer, until their bodies touch, he gasped feeling the heat rising against their clothes. He loses control, feelings exploding in immense joy then his other hand comes up, fingers grasping her waist, pulling her even closer without nowhere to go.

She is lost in his kiss, defenses surrendered to the hot, hungry mystery that lies between them. The next thing she knew, she's clasping on his neck, giving the intensity of the kiss he wanted to her to give. She heard his soft moan and she was about to do the same. And then he pulls away, slowly, as if loath to do so. That is when she heard the rap at the door.

"Shin Hye, I'm buying groceries. Is there anything you need? Oh, Yonghwa..! I didn't know you were here.", her mother told them and looking really surprised.

She bites her lip before trying to speak. The feel of his kiss is still lingering on , face is flushing with redness, she couldn't meet her mother's eyes.

"D.. Deh.", Yonghwa speaks out for her. "I came to brought Shin Hye some good news."

She smiled as he throws her a quick glance. They were almost caught and how embarrassing if they do even if they're grown up adults now. They were caught up in an exciting situation that they forgot where they are and the people around that house. They kissed like they own the world and she felt funny being submissive.

"A good news you say?", Mrs. Park asked while pulling up her gloves.

"Yonghwa's accepted to be the lead band's vocalist, Omma. He'll fly to Seoul soon to start his singing career.", she finally said with voice almost shrieking from the intense excitement.

She heard a soft chuckle and she throws him a glare.

"What?", there's irritance in her voice.

"Nothing. I just find it amusing. You are more excited than me.", he told her.

She elbowed him to stop chaffing, he flinched.

"Aw! Babe, that was rude.", he whispered holding his laugh.

She never know but he loves to see her with her eyebrows bumping. If there's someone who gets more beautiful when frowning that is her. Her cuteness is too hard to resist, one thing that made him fall head over heels in love with her. She's a breath of fresh air, a solace in despair.

"So, you're about to live your dream.", Mrs. Park stated in a more serious manner. "You'll be famous and unreachable. Where will my daughter stand in your life now, Yonghwa?"

They were surprised with her mother's changed reaction. Mrs. Park has always been supportive to their relationship. She is the most understanding mother any child could ever ask for. As a woman abandoned by her husband, she lived her life full of hardships raising Shin Hye alone but it didn't changed her hopeful perspective of the world. She remained strong and forgiving, a trait that so hard to understand after all she's been through but that's the way she is. A woman of good heart, the most awesome trait she gladly passed on her daughter.

Mrs. Park welcomed him with arms open wide, trusted him her daughter's heart without hesitation and to return the favor of being free to love, he always took care of Shin Hye, proved to her he can be trusted and always careful not to break the limit and most especially her daughter's heart.

"Omma...", she tried to interrupt.

"You'll be famous now. Your world will make a full turn. You'll be surrounded by different people, equally known and famous as you. Your name will be spoken out by any girl's lips. They will admire you and go crazy about you. You'll love them back because you'll be inbedted for the success your holding. You'll struggle with your time and everything will changed, even your love."

The fine lady looked at their still faces, absorbing the heaviness of her words. Clueless youth. They're so much in love to even think of the obstacles that's coming their way.

"I always liked you for my daughter, Yonghwa. But did it ever crossed your mind? Maybe not. Where will Shin Hye stand this time? Will she just stand in the corner and endure all the pain?"

They didn't know why the old lady turned so dramatically serious but it hit her. It's the truth. How can't she not think about it? Her boyfriend is not the enemy but hearing her mother's concern is making her scared. Fame. The glittering fame he is about to experience is the hindrance to their much treasured love.

"Mrs. Park, I won't let that happened. I..."

"Don't make me a promise. I don't want the time to come I will blame you and say I told you so.", the old lady cuts him fast.

The old lady had gone but still no one bothers to speak. It's as if it she was put in that position to make them realize the deeper meaning of the whole situation. And for that moment, she felt scared, absolutely afraid. She looked at him and how she can see his bright future. It is not a dream anymore. The reality is so vivid, she can see it with both eyes. He close enough to reach it with his two hands. He is about to take it and once he do, it's a point of no return. He is extremely happy, he really is, how can she be selfish?

"Babe..", he hushed and hugged her so tight.

Her stunned face is making his heart squeeze. He don't want to see her worried and mostly in tears. The things her mother said, it's not gonna happen. He won't let it happen.

"Stop thinking too much. We're good, right? We're stronger than anything that comes our way. We already proved that for the past six years."

But she didn't answer, instead densed her head to his chest wanting a comfort. He deeply sighed as he holds her close to ease her worries away but a fear developed into his self. What if her mother's words are true?  What if he'd becomes weak for the sudden shift of his life? Shin Hye will make the biggest sacrifice and their love's future is in his hands.

He can now feel her shoulders shrugging. She couldn't hold her cry and he finally let something he thought is right.

"Whatever your thinking right now, it's not gonna happen. It won't. Do you hear me? It won't. I promise you."

He made a promise. So loud and clear. His promise extends into the heavens itself and carry the essense like a binding spell. That is why to break it carries the potential of fatal cost.
______________________________________________________

She stopped crying. What a relief it is to feel. But he wished she cried long so he can hold her much longer. How he missed her too much and everything felt like dream, a dream he don't want to stop. But it's real. They're stuck in the middle of nowhere and a chance of survival is still not certain.

She pushed her body away and he was aghast. It's a kind of push that speaks hate and madness like the disgust he's seeing in her eyes. And from that moment he doesn't know her, the blame in her eyes, disgust multiplying at his failure. A face that is hurting and he completely knows he is the true reason of her pain.

"Shin Hye...", he tried to pull her back, wanting to speak but cannot start.

A hard slap greeted him suddenly. It's something he already expected sooner and wasn't surprised anymore. Her senses came back running and can clearly think straight now. He accepted the slap wholeheartedly. He deserved it. He deserved more of it.

"Get away from me.", she said, almost cursing.

He caressed his stinging face and meet her icy glare.

"I believe we're alone in here. Where do you want me to go?"

The nerve he even think to jest!

"I don't care. It's not my problem. Just get the hell out of my sight!"

Right. She is still hurting. But how ridiculous she would think of her pains in the midst of a deserted island. How can she send him away and survive alone when she can't even make fire?

"And now you're laughing at me? You're really a cruel, insensitive, one hell of a liar ever existed in this world!"

"Ouch.", he finally chuckled. "That was the most straightforward, no holds barred remark I've ever heard for such a long time."

She inhaled so much air, enough to fill her lungs to calm her unsteady self. She's shivering, in cold, in anger, in his presence. The idea of being stuck in an island with him is giving her so much emotions she couldn't fathom, unraveling yet comforting. The light of the moon that brings light to his face is glorious. Her knees begins to tremble for the amazing sight she sees. God, how he grew more masculine for such a long time.

He saw her turned around and walk away, proving herself she's strong enough to face the dangers of that island. He chuckled more. She's pretending to be brave. Even a cricket sound scares her, what was she thinking?

"Even if you send me away, it won't work in this kind of situation. You need me, Shin Hye. You can't survive this place for days, admit it. And wherever you go in here you'll always find me. Can't you see? It's just you and me, alone in this island. Don't try to fool me going inside that woodland. I know your fears.", he yelled.

"Don't brag you know me too well. Things change. People change. Two years is a long time. You don't know how the whole two years have changed me, Yonghwa.", she yelled back.

Damn, she's really hard. And she's unstoppable. He is now running to catch up with her fast pace. Yeah. T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter