A Mishap

Beautiful Tragedy (Short Story)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

From where he was sitting he can see the clouds move constantly, flowing as sheets hundreds of feet apart, showing him the appearance of one dense layer from the land below. It was one of those baby-blue skies, the clouds were as puffs of radiant joy, ready to disperse into the wind, to travel the earth. 

Upon the most comfortable seat in the business class fight, Yonghwa watched the pure reflected rays of cloud dappled and swirling with sky, until all that remained was the perfect baby blue, as if inviting those who were born to be explorers of the world to ride the thermal, heaven bound air.

The cabin crews are throwing him a secret glance. He definitely knows that gestures, as if they planned to approach him but stood still and being hesitant. Behind his mask he is still recognizable, at least for people who knows the flight manifest. The business class is silent, very much different from the noisy, chattering economy class from outside but sometimes he wished to be ordinary- free, spontaneous, just be a normal human being. His fame is outstanding and sometimes he cannot cope up. It feels like his life turned fast paced and suddenly became complicated and the happiness that he wanted to experience is hard to find anymore.

"Anyeong.", a soft low voice called his attention.

He faced the crew and a rehearshed smile appeared on his lips. In all honesty, he was annoyed being approached on his needed quiet time but he can't be arrogant, it's not indicated on the contract he signed and the path he chose.

"I'm sorry to bother you, Jung Yonghwa-ssi. It's still a long way before we finally land in Seoul and my colleagues and I are hoping if you could maybe grant our request? Can we have our picture taken with you? If.. If it's alright?", she shyly asked.

Right. Everytime. 

Who wouldn't grab the opportunity? He is the famous lead singer of a popular rock band in South Korea, setting fire in every record release and tops the chart hit after hit- unbeatable, unstopabble, on top of his game. These fans are the reason why he is at the pedestal and owed them his fame. How ridiculous it is to think, he was indebted to so many people just to maintain a steady stance. He was considered by many as a society's hero, inspired so many lives and there's no room for disagreement. 

Always stick to the golden rule. Always. Smile and never turn a fan down. 

His manager's repetitive voice echoed on his mind, stinging his ears. He controlled him for so many years and is about to control him forever.

He cleared his throat and straightened his body and quickly nodded. He saw the crew's face lighted up and heard an excited whimps from her colleagues not far away. He chuckled seeing their thrilling faces as they quickly ran to his direction like crazy fangirls forgetting their poise to excitedly pose for a photo. He stood up and gave his best smile and once again, he turned himself into a genie that made every girl's wish came true.

"Why don't you all move a little closer so we can fit on the screen?", he chuckled once more and flirted back.

He consciously opened his arms wide, another rehearsed gestured he was always told to do. They all densed themselves to almost smelling him, he flinched but kept his cool. He already saw it coming, sometimes some girls tend to be aggressive but then again, he must stick to the rule. Smile. Always smile.

Yeah, right. You're an idiot, Yonghwa.

There's that turbulence again and quite powerful just minutes ago. A violent movement that made him to lost his balance and fell on his chair.

"Woah, that was strong. Is everything alright?", he asked but felt thankful for the sudden shake.

"Everything's alright. Please fasten your seatbelt, Jung Yonghwa-ssi. And thank you for the photo. We wish you a successful life ahead with Jang Soo Min. Our congratulations in advance on your wedding day."

Wedding day. 

Of course, he heard it right. And it's absolutely true. But how can it fade on his mind? He is getting married in two weeks time, the very reason why he fly back to Seoul after a solo concert in Europe. But was he really on top of the cloud for the biggest day of his life? 

He deeply sighed and clenched his fist for the most ridiculous thing he was about to do but there's no way out now. There's nothing he can do and it's such a shame to accept it wholeheartedly. How unbelievable, the industry he took turned ruthless and unfair, as to him he is powerless, he was left with no choice but to agree, all because he is an ambitious jerk who wants nothing but fame. 

Fame. That God damn fame that already feels like a curse, like a small world unto itself. When everyone turns their head to watch him pass, when his name is on a million lips, it is a kind of world so satisfying yet uninhabited, meaningless, utterly vain. His hungriness for fame consumed him to the very core. He wanted to be known but he fell into a gob which he never thought coming. He once thought the definition of success is all about the glitz and glams, fans screaming his name as if it was an energizer but never did he thought it wasn't the way it truly is. It's a whole different picture and how he wished to come back being ordinary. He missed the simple gig he did on a mini bar back in Busan with people just sitting around and sipping their drinks and don't even care. The chaos in everywhere around him is slowly digging up in his skin, in his brain, in his soul, making him fall into indescribable sadness with no one to save him from the deep and dark hole. He is falling in a melancholic path, wanting a grasp, seeking her face, longing to hear her voice.

Her voice. Her angel like voice he longs to hear. But where is she now? Will he ever see her again? Will she again hold his hand after all it is said and done?  Maybe. Maybe not. No. She won't ever. He left her alone in time she needed him the most. If only he got a choice.

Those painful memories, they're just the same as nightmares. They vanish when he's awake and once he opened his eyes to let daylight in, it keeps on coming back hurting him deeper everyday. His heartbreak is gaping, huge enough to sunk him on his feet. After his heart broke he bled an ocean through his eyes, soul felt wafer thin, body trembled and chilled. He felt about pain and remembered it everyday. A kind of suffering he cannot stop. It is a tough roll of the dice, transformed that raw pain into a soul-roar, losing his battle against himself. If only he could see her again.

"C'mon soldier, on your feet. Just let it all go.", he scolded himself softly as he closed his eyes.

But it's too late now and how annoying the bumps are getting again. It goes severe, enough to momentarily throw the plane out of control or to cause structural damage. 

He chuckled. Is he gonna die now? Fine with him, at least someone's gonna take his life like how it used to be before he will do the honor of doing it again himself.
______________________________________________________

She's coming home in the first light of dawn, under the lantern-shine as its golden rays mingle with the first light of a new day. Coming back to the land she once called home is an exciting feeling to anyone who misses home like being wrapped in a blanket to find your comfort but to her, it's a whole different picture. The distress is profound and she begins to question her decision to take that flight. But her mother's last wish requires her to go back even if it's against her will. She made a promise and can't break it, she sweared it on her mother's grave.

Outside of the gigantic plane shows an image of the sky with a little puffed cloud, brilliant white in the sunshine. A very odd way to experience turbulence in a bright, beautiful morning. She felt light headed with the plane's shaking and unsteadiness and don't want to think negatively but a voice over confirmed the turbulence is something to be afraid of.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. I'm afraid to inform everyone that the turbulence we're experiencing right now is caused by an unexpected storm coming our way. I am requesting an emergency landing and I advise everyone to take your seats and fasten your seatbelts. 

"Ah, crap!", she muttered.

Shin Hye cursed after hearing it and feeling another strong shake that cause her to bump her body against the door. She hates flying. It scared her to death feeling her feet is up in the air, miles away above the ground. The turbulence is getting frequent and stronger and the feeling of hyperventilating is just around the corner. She moved fast to escape the tiny lavatory to almost tripping while getting back to her seat. 

"Please tell me we're arriving in Seoul safely.", she said, almost begging to the cabin crew that comes her way.

"Please stay in your seat and fasten your seatbelt."

The attendant said it calmly but not enough to make her comfortable, there's trickiness in her voice causing her to not be complacent. She seated and pulled her belt to wrap her body, tight enough to feel breathless but she felt safe doing it. She holds the belt tight and practiced her breathing exercise while scolding herself in silence.

Breathe, Shin Hye. Just breathe.

She can now see the crews getting panicky with more people screaming and getting angry. The whole economy class is turning into a chaos and she hates the feeling her mind is telling her.

Where is her comfort? The one person who held her hand when fear comes her way? Did he ever remember how he held her tight to give her solace? She still do but did he ever? Funny it crossed her mind again everytime she was in imminent danger. He is gone, faded in the wind to chase something he really wanted to get leaving her behind. It won't ever return; the memories, the happy times, him. 

She didn't know when, it's just one day a puzzle piece fell from her heart, as if it no longer belonged there. She is incomplete for so long and the only one she love so much could be her assassin. It takes an inside job to attack one so resilient to emotional injury. That is her heartbreak, to know for herself the tool of her greatest pain is her ultimate love. She could be hurt in any way, one way or another and still bounce right back, but him? He can do far worse with just a few small words. He don't mean them, maybe, in a way that makes it worse.

"You're aerophobic?", the middle aged man sitting next to her asked.

She nodded while keeping her breath steady. He is being quiet for the whole time but surprisingly in a mood for a chatter in a disturbing situation. 
The plane again shook uncontrollably, she gripped her seat tight as she heard a loud chuckle.

"Seriously, I don't know why you're still laughing on this unusual state. Are we going to crash?", she nervously asked.

"My mother also have a fear on flying but how odd she didn't die on a plane crash. She died of cancer. I don't have aerophobia and unfortunately have cancer too. But I think I'm dying not with my sickness but with a plane crash.", the man answered with a loud and nervous laugh.

Coldness covered her whole self hearing such a terrible chaff. He's joking or not she don't know and much more don't have any reason to find out.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter