Misfortune No. 1

You Set My World On Fire

A/N: I just decided to make it a three-shot. I hope y'all don't mind. Enjoy reading.

 

~~~~~

 

Her days passed by the usual after her confession. The only difference is that she sometimes do something for the latter paired with occasional sweet glances and smiles when they both passed by each other. Did Wendy mentioned already that Irene seems less cocky and smug to her after the incident? She's even the one who will avert her gaze when their eyes met. Everytime it happens, Wendy can't help but to feel a little tingly inside upon witnessing such a cute attitude from the latter. Proud was an understatement to describe her feelings about everything that have transpired between the two of them for the past couple of weeks. She's glad that she can see how her actions and presence have an effect somehow to the older girl. Although, she's quite not sure if it's a good sign or probably those averting eyes meant that Wendy made the latter uncomfortable. Nonetheless, she's still glad that she can now express what she felt for Irene. 

 

~~~

 

"Is Irene sunbae-nim around?" she asked a familiar face from the performers' guild when she round the corner towards the music room. 

 

"Ahh yes, she's inside the auditorium." the latter replied while pointing towards the direction of the said place. 

 

Wendy stretched out her hands which holds a box of cookies she personally baked, "C-can you give this to her?" upon placing it atop the girl's hands she then abruptly sprint away. 

 

"Hey! What's your name?!" she stopped on her tracks. How can she forget about letting her efforts known? She mentally scolded herself. 

 

"So that I can tell it to her." the latter continued. 

 

"Wendy." while wearing a greatful smile, she simply stated. Upon muttering a little 'thank you' towards the girl, she then continued to skip away. But this time, with a happy smile adorning her small features. She surely looks like a lovestruck puppy. 


~~~~~


After a whole lot of searching, she finally spotted the girl she's been looking for, for almost an hour. Fetching a box of chocolate on her backpack, she timidly bring herself towards Irene, whom from the looks of it is quite stressed out. 

 

Joy has mentioned to her a while ago, how the graduating students have been grinding really hard the past few days. From their thesis, midterm examination to their upcoming internship. For Irene's case, added to those is her being the president of a school club. Wendy can't imagine how tired and stressed the older girl might be. So here she is, trying to light up her sunbae's mood with a simple gesture. 

 

She want to kiss Joy awhile ago (a joke of course, she's reserving her lips to the senior) upon mentioning such situation to her. Her bestfriend thought that it was a plus for Wendy to let her presence be known through these trying times of the senior. That she can be there when Irene needs her. Wendy couldn't agree more. Hence, as the school bells rang for lunch, she immediately went to a nearest convenience store and bought a box of chocolates. Even forgetting to eat her lunch. Well, that's the least she would want to worry about. 


Now, with a hasty movements, she placed the box on the side of the latter. She even saw how Irene's eyes gazed towards it from reading a book, before she turned around again to exit the library. 

 

Irene read the little note on top of the box of what seems like a box of chocolates. 

 

"Work hard unnie! but don't beat yourself too much. Take a rest in between." 

- Peter Pan's choice 

 

Her phone buzzed on one of her pockets, as she is on her way to her last class for the day. She even think of skipping it, but she's glad that she found the girl before this class period. 

 


Unknown number

 

Thank you. 

 

She slightly scrunched her face in confusion after reading the text message. Wendy even thought of just letting it be, because it might just be a wrong sent text message. But as curiosity took over. She replied with a short, "Who's this? ". 

 

Another buzz can be heard. 

 

This time, she is certain that it's not from a random person. It's actually from... 

 

 

 

 

It's me. Irene. 


~~~~~


She plopped her tired body on her bed. Lying lifelessly on it after a tiring day. Her two-hour class on her major, really drained the hell out of her. 

But then a sudden realization jolted her out of her sighing self. She quickly look for her phone while cursing herself. 


Wendy just left Irene on read. 


Way to go to woo your crush Wendy.  

Make sure to insert sarcasm over there. 

 

Sunbae sorry for the late reply T_T

I didn't mean to. Really. 

I promise! Cross my heart. 

Our professor just thought upon entering rge class that it's a bright idea to let us answer a whold problem about financial statements. I'm really sorry.

It kind of slipped out of my mind to reply, unknowingly. 


She typed and sent hastily 

 

Wendy then bite her nails furiously as a sign 'Read' flashed below every message she have sent to Irene. 


Few minutes. 


Half an hour. 


An hour. 


Few hours. 


Wendy can't count how many times she dejectedly stared at her phone when a new text message isn't popping out upon checking out from time to time. She already ate, took a shower and even readied herself for bed. Still nothing. 

 

Buzz... 

 

She abruptly get her phone on her night stand upon hearing the familiar sound. 

 

My SUNBAE <3 

 

Wendy smiled upon glancing at the notification bar. She's ready to even do a silly dance the instant she knew that Irene finally replied to her. 

 

Sorry for the late reply 

I didn't mean to. 

It kind of slipped out of my mind too...


 

Wait what???  This seems familiar! Not exactly but these clearly contains the same thoughts I have sent to her as I am apologizing a few hours back. 

 

Is she teasing me again? 

 

Her phone chimed in again. As a new message popped in. 

 

Knowingly :P 

 


She is! I can't believe this girl!  She should be thankful that I have a huge crush on her. Wendy Son don't usually allow this kind of playfulness. She always bite back. 

 

A laughing emoji sent by the latter afterwards, really confirmed her suspicion. 

 

She's even laughing. Grrrrrrr.

 

Wendy then sported a small pout as she gripped her phone a little harder than usual. 

 

Don't pout, it would make you a little ugly. I can sense it all the way here kekekeke. Wendy read. 


How does she freaking know it? 


She tried to straighten her face. But it feels like her lips really want to wear a pout after getting played at like that. This time, it's a whole lot bigger. 


~~~~~ 

 

It's currently 1AM, and not to mention in a bunch of hours is her audition for the performers' guild. 

 

"Joy, let's sleep already. I have an audition to attend to early in the morning." she whined at the phone. 

 

"But Wen, it's our friday movie night." Joy fired back. 

 

They are currently on discord (an app where you can watch a movie/series online together), watching together a fluffy romantic series that Joy wanted to see ever since Wednesday.

 

"First, technically it's not Friday anymore. It's Saturday already. Second, it's not a movie Joy. It's a freaking series! A s-e-r-i-e-s. And we've been at it since 8pm." She tried to reason out. Wendy can't afford if she will ran late to her audition. Irene would be disappointed with her and of course, it might become a reason for her not to get the latter's answer with regards to her confession. So, eventhough it became their friday night routine to binge-watch movies or series until 3AM. She just can't and she's going to convince Joy about it. 

 

"No, Wendy. Just don't use the smart card on me. Stay up with me please." 

 

She sighed in annoyance as Joy's pleading face appeared on the top left corner of her phone's screen. 

 

Fine. 

 

 

 

 

 

But it's not really fine. Wendy's not fine. She's far from fine. 


Her alarm clock didn't ring. Because she freaking didn't set it the night before, courtesy of Joy's constant nagging to turn on her discord already. 

 

So, as the sunlight shone really bright upon her face. Wendy knew she ed up. And she really did because it's already 9:30 AM. An hour and a half late from the supposed call time for the audition. 

 


 


With her shoulder bag hanging loosely on her right shoulder. A blouse that seems like it wasn't even ironed, which of course is really true. And a hair that's been far from her normal style, flying everywhere on any part of her head and face. She appeared in front of the college gate at 10:12 while huffing in tiredness from running all the way from the bus stop. 

 

She cannot count how many times she have cursed Joy's name and even kill her on her mind while she sat on one of the seats inside the bus. If only she can tell the driver to make it fast, she really will. 


Upon opening the door to the auditoriom, what welcomed her was the sight of Irene stacking up all the chairs on one side. She then caught a glimpse in front of the stage, and there are papers scattered on one of the table in front. A clear portrayal of a finished audition. 


When their eyes met as Irene turned around, Wendy bowed down in embarrassment. The senior ignored her presence after that and still continue to do her task before Wendy entered the room. 

 

Guilt was really evident on her face as she bring herself in front. Testing the atmosphere. 

 

 

It's not good. 

Clearly. 

 

 

With how the sound of stacking chairs became louder as Wendy became nearer to the stage. 

 

 


"Are you here for the audition? It's already finished." Irene coldly uttered as she passed by Wendy on her way down the stage. 

 

Trying her best to let the other girl to listen to her, she grabbed her wrist gently, keeping her in place as she tried to think of how to apologize. "S-sunbae. I'm sorry." 

 

"I overslept. I know that it's not reasonable but please do believe me that I didn't want any of this to happen. I'm really really sorry." she pleaded and she can sense how her apologies has soften the latter's eyes. 


"I even reminded you about the time of the audition last night, Wendy. How irresponsible of y---" 

 


"What are the two of you still doing here?" a gentle voice of a person reverberated through the room, breaking their gazes and Irene's impending scold. 

 


"Nothing, Ms. Jung. I'm going to go actually." Irene excused herself, while trying to remove Wendy's grasp on her wrist. Upon succeeding, she then gathered her things, readying herself to leave. 

 

The other person in the room, then went to the bunch of papers. Inspecting it. 

 

 

When Wendy took notice of Irene's retreating figure. She panicked. 

 

"I'm actually going to audition, Ms. Jung." realizing that she's probably the music department head who usually supervise these kind of clubs. She boldy declared. 

 

With a nervous glance at Irene who by her intervention has been successfully hindered by Wendy from leaving for the second time. She continued, "Although, I'm kind of late--- scratch that, I am really late." she gives emphasis on that last few words. 

 


"I hope you'll still give me a chance." 

 

Sensing the weird atmosphere as she first step her foot in the room, Ms. Jung thought that it's best to, 

 

"Okay, only if Irene will also agree to your request, young lady." 

 

With that being said, she pleaded with her eyes again. 

 

Please. Please. Please. 

 

 

Aha! Wendy smart . 

 

She slowly walked towards Irene, still locking her gaze at her. It's evident in her moves that she's mentally swaying to a certain beat, finding the right timing to sing out some notes. Ms. Jung just watch her closely. And Irene is clearly anticipating her next move, although a hint of annoyance and disappointment is still on her features. 

 


//Cause I just need one more shot at forgiveness
I know you know that I made those mistakes maybe once or twice
By once or twice I mean maybe a couple a hundred times
So let me, oh let me redeem, oh redeem, oh myself tonight// 

 

 

This is not the song she planned on singing in this audition and clearly, it's not her intention to also dance while singing but if this makes Irene to forgive her. Then so be it. 

 


//Cause I just need one more shot at second chances
Yeah, is it too late now to say sorry?
Cause I'm missing more than just your body
Is it too late now to say sorry?
Yeah I know that I let you down
Is it too late to say I'm sorry now?// 


//I'm sorry, yeah
Sorry, yeah
Sorry
Yeah I know that I let you down
Is it too late to say I'm sorry now?// 

 

She the stopped in front of the latter. Smiling at her shyly. There's no remnants of the past expressions on Irene's face. 

 

 

"I'm sorry, Rene."

Even her was shocked at the nickname she just called the older girl. Wendy was going to apologize when she heard a clap probably coming from Ms. Jung. 

 

"You have put quite a great show there..." Ms. Jung raised her eyebrows lightly at her. A clear portrayal of her asking about her name. 

 

"Wendy." she supplemented. 

 

 

Ms. Jung smiled a little at her and gestured for her to went up the stage again and also for Irene to take the seat beside her. In which the two immediately obeyed. 

 

 

A cue from the music department head made her sing the first notes of Pixie Lott's song "Everybody Hurts Sometimes" 

 

She's not into acapella versions during auditions but her doings just now because of her late arrival have made her no choice but to sing with just her raw voice and without any background music. Although it's new to her, she do believe that she has performed quite well on both songs by how Ms. Jung complimented her. Irene on the other hand, just stayed quite for the whole duration. 

 

 

Before Ms. Jung went off, she first asked Wendy to accompany the senior in bringing all the instruments used back in the music room and in rearranging the auditorium.  

 

So now, it's just the two of them, doing the assigned works. The atmosphere was quiet ever since Ms. Jung left. Wendy was too afraid to strike up a conversation, also she's still guilty and embarassed for being late. 

 

 

 

"Congratulations in passing, Wendy. Although, you are late." she was actually going to smile, but she can't help but to still feel guilty upon Irene's continuation. She knew that she disappointed the said girl. 

 

 

"Welcome to the club" Irene added wearing a slight smile which made Wendy smile widely at her. 

 

 

"Does this mean that I'm forgiven?" 

 

 

Irene nodded lightly at the question. 

 

 

"After singing how sorry you are. You impressed me with that. Also, I usually don't get mad at my club members. So yeah, all is well, Wendy." 

 

 

Inhaling a deep breath, she uttered the question that's bothering her starting from the instant, Ms. Jung announced that she passed the audition. 

 

 

 

 

"Does this mean you're going to give me an answer too?" 

 

Irene...

 

 

 

 

 


shook her head. 

 


"Nope. " she uttered playfully. Popping the letter 'p'.  

 

Wendy stared at her in confusion. 

 

"What do you mean by that? I thought you will give me an answer after I passed the audition? " she doesn't want to sound too eager but after seeing how the past few weeks have unfolded, Wendy is really curious about the latter's feelings for her. 

 

"Correction Wendy, you passed the 'special' audition. Not the audition I'm talking about." Irene smugly reasoned out. 

 

"Aren't the two the same?" 

 


"Nope. The 'audition' is from 8AM to 10AM. What you passed was the 'special' audition granted to you by Ms. Jung. So technically, I can't still give you my answer." 

 

That just left her dumbfounded. 

 

 

"B-but ---" 

 

 

 

"No buts Wendy, I gotta go! Bye!" Irene hastily gathered her things and went towards the door. 

 


"Sunbae! Who's going to bring all these?" she shouted before the playful girl can really went out the door. 

 


That made the latter stop on her tracks, she turned around towards Wendy while still sporting a huge grin. 

 

 

 

 


"You like me right? Do it for me." she then winked and blew a kiss towards the stunned freshman, leaving Wendy to groan in annoyance but soon a blush and a smile followed after witnessing the rare childish antics of the 'cold' senior she imitially described as. 

 

 

But then again, her expression turned sour. She picked up her phone on her pocket. 

 

Wendy typed something and sent it to the person who's the main reason about all these ruckus. 

 

 

 

 

I'll surely kill you Joy. Better hide my dear bestfriend. 

 

 

 

To be continued...

 

~~~~~~

 

A/N: I know that I promised to end this one on it's second chapter. But I guess it will be much better to divide the last chapter into two. So hang in there again. Sorry. 

Anyways, I do appreciate all the comments, subscriptions and all the upvotes. Kindly keep it coming if you find this story of mine interesting. 

 

_fxd_