Hi, sunBAE-nim

You Set My World On Fire

Wendy was a freshman when she heard and have seen the beauty of the one and only Irene Bae. Almost all of the boys on her class have taken a liking on the school's queenka. At first, she isn't even interested, all of her focus was on her studies. She always believe that she shouldn't disappoint anyone, especially her parents although they were not even present almost half of her life. But she do understand the fact that they need to sacrifice something in order for their company to continue its operations. Besides, thousands of people are now depending on the two of them. But she cannot deny that she do crave their presence after all. She's glad that whenever they're around, her parents will really pamper her with affections. That is why she tried to understand them instead of getting angry. 

 

She continued to skim on her notes for the upcoming quiz when her surroundings got still for a moment and afterwards, murmurs can be heard everywhere.  Amongst all the ruckus, one name has stood out, Irene Bae. As  curiousity bubbled inside of her, she sneaked a glance in front. Truly, a girl with a defined features, fox-like eyes, plump lips and fair skin has welcomed her line of sight. She immediately ducked her head as their eyes met. Those cold eyes seem to warm her heart, oh how ironic that line sounds. She internally scoffed playfully. 

 

For the whole duration of Irene's recruitment for the performers'guild, all Wendy could do was pretend that she's reading her notes when in fact she's basking on the sweet voice of the latter, as words fluently came out of . 

 

As the group of students exited the first year's classroom. Wendy let out a relieve sigh that in the first place, she doesn't know she was holding. She put her hand atop her chest as she can sense her heart beats eratically. 

 

Just what in the world is this new-found feeling? 

 

~~~~~~

The second time they met, only days apart from their initial but without interaction meeting, Wendy mentally rolled her eyes for time did not stood still and Irene didn't stand out amongst the crowd just like what movies typically portray. It's just the typical but strong feeling of wanting to be within the presence of the said girl. Wendy's eyes followed the girl as she round the corner towards her. Feeling her breath hitched with every step Irene takes. Well, this thought somehow contradicted her realization a while ago. Clearly, she's out of her usual self. 

 

Wendy really want to drag her feet towards the side. Irene's coming her way, mustering that poker face and the girl can feel how Irene's eyes bore through her core with how those orbs straightly stare towards her path, not even minding the surroundings. And that was exactly the reason why the whipped girl cannot step aside. How can she? When this can be the only time that she can feel that her sunbaenim's undivided attention was with her. Although, clearly that's not the case. 

 

A blush immediately creeped on her face when Irene stopped and soon stood in front of her, staring at her with those eyes void of anything for the nth time. 

 

With a smirk playing on her lips, Irene muttered lowly to the freshman, "I really want to eat right now. But unless you've got something to offer to me because you're blocking the way. Step aside for a while." 

 

What? Wendy knew she's slow on grasping things especially when she's nervous but what did Irene meant by that? 

 

"N-no, I mean... " Wendy mentally facepalmed as her nervous self unraveled in front of her crush. 

 

"No? You've got something for me?"

 

Just how long will this interaction be? Because honestly, she'll combust any minute now by how Irene is enjoying teasing her. She can sense it. Every bit of it. And here she is, a nervous mess. She can't think straight. 

 

"No... " Think straight Wendy! 

 

"No? So what exactly freshie? You want me to eat you then?" 

 

"Yes! I mean N-no! That's not it. That's not what I meant." she continued to shake her head to make her point across. 

 

Irene on the other hand, sported a small smile but eventually a sigh escaped her lips. As much as she want to see how this situation will unfold for she truly find the situation interesting. She just cannot ignore her grumbling stomach. 

 

She held the latter's shoulders and she's the one who placed her to the side, big enough for her to pass by. Well, that was kind of unnecessary, she should have just walk past the latter. But that's  a good call actually, this was way more interesting than what she expected.

 

With one last smirk, she turned around and walked away. Leaving the dumbfounded girl clutching her eyeglasses as she felt her cheeks heat up. 

 

~~~~~

 

It's been a few weeks since the time she last caught a glimpse of the mesmerizing senior. Unfortunately, the graduating students' building was on the southern part of the campus, a clear opposite to where Wendy's classroom is. That is why, every bit of glances she can steal from the latter's perfect face is worth remembering. "Stop thirsting at her, Wen." That's exactly the reason why Joy, her seatmate whom she grew close to for the past weeks have already nudged her for the third time on the whole duration of this boring program. As what others may say. But to Wendy, nothing's boring when one of the MCs is her favorite senior. 

 

"I am not! I-I'm just admiring her." she reasoned out. 

She diverted her gaze afterwards but soon found her eyes glued again to the girl in front. Wendy's wondering how can a uniform look so good on someone. And the fact that everyone's wearing the same outfit but the latter's aura is truly different probably speaks so much volume on how whipped the freshman is. 

 

For the whole duration of the program, she cannot even count how many times she felt like her heart was getting squeezed every time their eyes met. 

 

 

Joy and Wendy were on their way to the cafeteria after the program ends when Joy opened the topic about the numerous glances. 

 

"Is it just me or she's looking at you also from time to time? " Confusion and amazement were obvious on her friend's way of asking.  

 

As much as Wendy wants to also yell a freaking 'Yes!' and 'You're not the only one' but it is so hard to assume anything when your crush is surrounded by a bunch of admirers who are much more good-looking and smarter than you. 

 

Just like the quote in her accounting class that their professor constantly mumbled on his classes, 'Don't assume unless otherwise stated'.  

 

That became Wendy's mantra for quite some time. 

 

 

Although some happenings made her doubt it. 

 

~~~~~

One. 

"Wen, order for me. I'm going to the rest room first." Wendy could only nod as Joy immediately rushed towards the comfort room. 

"How much is it?" She asked the cafeteria lady upon  ordering lunch for her and Joy. 

"5,000 won." The lady simply said, busying herself with her tasks at hand. 

Upon hearing the lady's response, it is the girl's natural reaction to look for her wallet on her uniform's pocket. But what isn't natural was her nervousness after that. Nothing was there except her phone. She continue to search for it but will always be faced with the realization, that her wallet is not there. Wendy started to fidget when she was sure that she's not going to like where this situation will lead her. 

She can feel the humiliation started to creep on her insides.

With one last hope, she immediately scanned her surroundings looking for any familiar face but to her dismay, all of them were unfamiliar to her. 

The lady then immediately shot her a look of annoyance and curiousity. 

"Miss, hurry up. There's a whole line at your back. " she pointed with a hint of irritation on her voice. That's when Wendy knew she really screwed up this time. 

Just when is Joy coming back? 

"Can I just pay it when my friend arrives? My wallet is with her. " She asked nervously, still scanning the whole cafeteria hoping to see Joy. 

The lady just pointed at the sign that says, 'Pay as you order' 

(Aish.)

"Hey! Make it fast! " one of the boys at her back shouted. 

"You know what young lady. If you don't have anything to pay for---" her rambling was cut off as a voice could be heard beside Wendy. 

"How much is it? I'll pay for her." she can clearly recognize that voice. Her eyes widened and she immediately look up. She's not wrong for a beautiful face was what welcomed her line of sight. 

The embarassment she felt back then was doubled as Irene, her senior and her freaking crush stood beside her offering the lady some money. 

She just bowed down her head as shyness soon mixed with the previous feeling.  

"Now, go away there freshie! " she heard the familiar voice shouted again at her back. It's the same person awhile ago. It irritates her to no end to get shouted in front of numerous people but she can't blame anyone except herself for not remembering that she have let Joy to hold her wallet for her. 

So, with hasty steps she immediately walked out of the scene. 

Wendy can even hear Irene shouts about her lunch but she ignored her and still continue to exit the cafeteria. She can't be there. It feels so suffocating for her. Wendy can't believe she was humiliated in front of so many people not to mention that one of those people is her crush.

Can't I just disappear?  Is all she could think of as she closed the cafeteria door. 

Wendy stopped walking further when a realization hit her. 

I didn't even say 'thank you to' her!  She just mentally facepalmed. Now, she's not only going to appear as a careless freshman to her senior but also rude and ungrateful. 

Just let me disappear for a while. The question awhile ago seems like a plead now. 

 

~~~~~ 


"What was that?" one of her friends asked her curiously. 

"Nothing. Let's just continue eating." she shortly replied as a small smile adorned her usually poker face. 


~~~~~

Two. 

"Joy, what should I sing? " she slumped herself at the table, whining at her friend. 

Two days from now is their performance on Ms. Kim's music class and until now she still can't find an inspiration on who to dedicate a song hence, a suitable song is still out of reach.  

"Sing a song for Irene. I've heard she's invited by Ms. Kim to grade us. " 

"What?! " she exclaimed and soon was met by angry stares from the other people occupying the library. Even the librarian shot her a warning look. After muttering her apologies, Wendy embarassingly facepalmed. 

Too much for this day. Just too much.

"Yes Wen. So better find a perfect song for her and impress her. " 

"But I do think you can amaze her without even trying too much. With that kind of voice, I'm pretty sure you can ace this performance." Joy continued as she wiggled her eyebrows at Wendy trying to boost her morale. She find the gesture touching but still, she can't help but to panic a little knowing that Irene would be staring at her, and upon remembering their last encounter. She felt like her voice will surely break due to nervousness and embarassment. 

Should she just be absent during the performance? 

Sounds like a bright plan for her. 

Only if she does want to fail Ms. Kim's class. 

So with hesitant steps, without having any choice. She followed Joy's advice to skim on the performers'guild music sheets and find the perfect song to sing. She do find Joy's idea reasonable. 

"Ah! I have thought of a bright idea! " Joy brightly exclaimed on her seat, making Wendy to look at her, hope was evident on her gaze. 

"How about you try to borrow some music sheets from the performers' guild, Wen. I've heard that their renditions of some songs were really good. Get some idea from it. Maybe you can find the perfect song from there too." 


~~~~~

 

"I don't think Irene will allow you to do that. Sorry." a tall guy apologized while scratching the back of his neck after Wendy has asked for his permission to look at the sheets in the music room. She kind of guessed that he's one of the school's drummer upon seeing a pair of drum sticks on his left hand. 

"She's somehow strict when it comes to the music sheets. Irene's usually the one who re-arrange the songs we'll going to perform. She takes pride in those." 

That new-found information made Wendy to admire the girl more. Thinking of things that Irene is not capable of. After staring blankly for a while. She can't pinpoint any. 

"Chanyeol get back to practice. And you miss, what are you doing here? " Irene's voice can be heard from the back. She sounds so authoritative. Sounds alluring too for Wendy. 

She slowly turned around, ready to leave again but--- 

"I keep on seeing your face in an always fascinating situations, Wendy." a sly smile adorning her face.

How did she knew my name? 

She's busy thinking all the whys on how did the latter found out about her name, without realizing that it's just the two of them standing outside the music room. Chanyeol probably get back to practicing already. 

Irene was the first to break the ice sensing that the girl wants to run away again, "Chanyeol said that your asking to look at our music sheets? " 

"Y-yes." she stuttered for the nth time in front of the girl. 

"Ms. Kim was asking us to perform a song on her class. I just think that I can find some great songs here. " 

"But Chanyeol said that you usually don't allow it. I-it's fine. I'll just go." 

 

Before she can strut away again, Irene held her wrist. Keeping her in place. 

"Do you always run away from people?" Wendy backed away as the other person took a step towards her, still holding her wrist. 

 

One step forward from Irene. She backed away again. 

 

"...or you just run away from me?" She felt the door on her back this time. Having no room to escape, she pleaded with her eyes. But Wendy then regretted doing it as her heart beats quicken upon noticing their close proximity. And it didn't help that Irene was staring at her with those sharp orbs, she felt like the pair can even read her soul by how hypnotizing it was. 

 

She immediately closed her eyes when Irene lean too much on her side. 

 

Will she kiss me? She scoffed at the thought. Who am I for her to do that

 

But upon sensing the latter's breath on her face, Wendy knew that it could be a possibility. So now, who is she to let such opportunity pass. I mean it's her crush, so it would be really good and pleasing and mesmerizing and--- she heard a door clicked open. 

 

That's the signal to burst her bubbles. 

 

Yeah, just who is she to get kissed by the one and only Irene Bae? 

 

It was silly of her to even think of that. 

 

"You actually can take a look at those. " Irene whispered. Holding the door wide opened for her to enter. 

 

 

"Impress me during your performance Wendy." was what she last heard from the latter before going to the direction towards the auditorium, where her club usually do their practice. 

 

What in the hell just happened? 

 

She thought while clutching on her chest. 

Maybe, I should get an ECG from our family's doctor.  

 

~~~~~

 

The day of Ms. Kim's performance activity arrived. She steal a glance in front where Irene settled, and has seen how meticulous her crush look like in grading the performers. Wendy gulped internally. She sure is really nervous upon witnessing how Irene's stares bore unto them. She knew that she cannot stand it. So now, how can she sing properly in front of the latter? 

 

" Son Wendy, you're next! " Ms. Kim's voice reverberated through the vast space of the room. She stood up and felt her palms sweating. 

 

No don't stare at me. Don't stare. Don't s---Aish! 

Irene followed her every step as she get into the stage which made her a lot more nervous. 

 

"Mic test. Mic test. Uhmmm I'm going to sing You Set My World On Fire by Loving Caliber." 

She heard an uproar of cheers from her blockmates. Wendy readied herself as she wait for the cue of the music coordinator. 

 

"Go Wendy!" Joy cheered loudly while standing up. She chuckled at her friends antics but soon turned serious as the music sound seeps in. She's trying to concentrate, closing her eyes. 

 

This is for Irene. 

(A/N: I suggest for y'all to listen to the song while reading this part ) 

She then opened her eyes and stare at Irene upon singing the first notes. 

// I lose my breath whenever I see you
You stole my heart, what is it that you do?
My life was grey, 'til you added colors
Like the moon needs the sun, we don't care 'bout the others // 

Upon opening her eyes for the first time since she sang.  

 

All eyes were on her... 

 

Except for her. 

 

Except for Irene. 

Irene bowed down her head while tapping her right foot to the beat of the song. 

Why? 

Wendy took noticed how she glanced up to every performer before her. 

So, just why? 

Nonetheless, she continue through the chorus knowing that now's not the time to even think of her. Well, she should right? She's the inspiration for this song. So, Irene should look at her while she sings! 

 

//You set my world on fire
You're my heart's desire
I just wanna love you
Just wanna hold you
Just wanna be with you 'til we grow old
Just tell me you'll stay or take me away
I want you for myself every single day
You set my world on fire
You set my world on fire//

 

She set her eyes on the person that sets her world on fire. It's just that, that person isn't even looking at her and even if she will gaze her head up, Irene's closing her eyes. 

...

//I just want you, I just need you
I don't know what it is you do
I just want you, I just need you
I don't know what it is you do// 

 

Surprisingly, when Wendy's going to end the song. Irene looked up to her. She almost went blank due to the intensity of her stare. But immediately shake away the feeling,  afraid to commit mistakes when she's so near from giving a flawless (she hopes so) peformance. 

 

//... I want you for myself every single day
        You set my world on fire...//

She smiled at Irene as she sings the last line softly. Wendy just wish that she get her point across. That she likes her. That Irene sets her world on fire. 


      
 //You set my world on fire// 

 

An applause could be heard through out the auditorium. Undeniably, Joy was the loudest one, shouting all over again the words 'That's my bestfriend! I know you can ace it Wendy!'. Ms. Kim wears a proud smile, after all she's the one encouraging her to perform on some school events. Irene on the other hand, has a small smile adorning her face. Wendy doesn't know if it's enough to tell that she did a good job for the latter. 

 

She went off the stage wearing a shy smile as her blockmates continued to praise her. How she wish for Irene to do the same. 

 

~~~~~ 

 

They exited the auditorium afterwards after the activity, and Joy keep clinging at her side. 

"You did a great job there Wendy" Joy uttered for the nth time while shaking her arms. She just smiled at her. 

 

"By the way, Wendy. Irene here has something to say to you." Ms. Kim announced at the front door. Irene gestured for her to follow her again inside. Wendy just signalled for her best friend to go to their next class. Although, they won't probably take long with this conversation. She just doesn't want Joy to see or hear how she usually acts when talking to her crush. 

 

The senior sat at one of the chairs inside. She then cleared when Wendy situated herself not that far from her, waiting for her to start talking. 

 

"I honestly don't like your performance." 

She stared dumbfounded at Irene, Wendy is sure that her eyes sported a hurt expression, the instant those words rolled off the latter's tongue. 

 

"R-really?" 

 

 

 

"Yeah, because I love it Wendy." 

"I knew you are needed in the guild upon seeing you perform for the first time." Irene continued, but this time it came out as a whisper.

Wendy didn't catch the last sentence for she was still internalizing the fact that Irene loves her performance. Aside from surely having a good grade in Ms.  Kim's class. She cannot help but to also get ecstatic because the one whom she dedicated that particular song actually loves it 

"What did you say, sunbae-nim? I didn't quite grasp your last sentence." 

"So upon prasing you, that's what you are worried about? The last sentence I uttered?" 

"N-no I'm sorry! Of course I'm happy about you loving my performance sunbae. I'm just curious---" 

 

Irene cut her off with her loud laugh. 

 

Oh God, she's teasing me again. 

Wendy then pout slightly while the latter's still laughing. After recovering from it, Irene looked at her straight in the eyes. Was it hope that she has seen to flashed in those orbs? 

"I would like it if you'll audition to be part of the club I'm handling Wendy." 

Such invitation aren't new to her. Joy and Ms. Kim have been urging her to do the same. Even if Irene doesn't invite her today, she'll probably give it a shot. After all this could become a way to get closer to the latter. 

She smiled at the girl and soon nodded. Irene's face immediately lit up at that. 

 

A few minutes of silence passed by with them just staring at the stage. Having no idea what's running on each other's mind. Wendy wants to strike a conversation but she's too nervous to do so. 

"Who is your inspiration for the song?" 

 

"You. " 

 

 

She mentally cursed herself. Wendy was too busy with thinking of a topic that she's out of her head when Irene asked her that question. So of course, no time for her to filter her feelings and words. 

 

"I-i mean..." she tried to think on of a way to get out of this situation, but she can't think of anything when Irene's shocked expression was what's in front of her. 

 

"Ghad, this is not the way I want to confess." Wendy uttered under her breath with both her hands on her face. Trying to mask away her embarassment. 

 

Screw this. She's in this situation already. Might as well be honest. She have decided, mustering some courage after a few moments of awkward silence.

 

So upon taking a deep breath, she uttered the first words she can think of at that moment, "I like you, sunbae. Ever since the first time you walked into my life. Ghad. I swear I'm not this cheesy but I can't really think straight right now." 

 

"I don't know why.  Was it your voice? Your pretty face? Your cool attitude? Or just you being you? That made me like you at that instant. I'm not the type of person to take a liking on someone by mere meeting them. But I guess, I find something in you that have made me feel all these fluttering feelings..." 

 

"So, will you consider this confession and let me know you more? Until I found the answer to all the questions I have uttered just now?" 

Smooth Wendy. 

 

After confessing those words, she can't help but to think just when was the last time she's been this honest and straightforward about her feelings for someone. 

 

Wendy gauge Irene's expressions. She's currently wearing a poker face, which made her stomach churn in disappointment. Maybe her confession didn't even have any effect on the girl. She averted her gaze away from the latter, her tears threatening to fall any moment. 

 

She cannot stand being in the same room with the girl anymore. So she hastily stood up and bowed at the latter lightly. 

 

"I-i understand that you don't feel the same way sunbae. I-it's okay. Really hahaha" she faked a laugh. But it's evident in her cracking voice that laughing is far from what she wants to do right now. 

 

 

 

 

 


"Pass the audition. I'll tell you my answer after." 

 

Instead of her, Irene's actually the first one to exit the auditorium. She's glued at her place, with her eyes bulging out a little. Her heart beats quicken again for the nth time. 

 

I guess a heart operation is what I need this time. 

 

To be continued...

 

~~~~~

A/N: First chapter is up!  I do hope you have taken a liking on this one. Any comments are encouraged. Please spare me for some grammatical or typo mistakes. Anyways, I'll post the next and last one probably tomorrow or the day after. 

 

_fxd_