Misfortune No. 2 With a Drizzle of Jealousy

You Set My World On Fire

Thank you so much for a hundred subscribers. So to express my gratitude, here's the last chapter! Enjoy reading y'all.  

 

~~~~~

"Here." Wendy looked up from her phone to the girl who is sulking in front of her and then to the food that's placed on their table. She smiled sheepishly at Joy who just rolled her eyes, clearly not happy of what's happening for the past three free lunches of Wendy coming from her own pocket.

 

Wendy muttered a playful 'thank you’ at the latter and soon burst into a fit of laughter as Joy makes face towards her. After a while, although she's still clearly annoyed, Joy eventually chuckled as well at their display of childishness.

 

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

Wendy knocked loudly on Joy's dorm after bringing all the equipment to the music room. Sweat trickled down her face, but she surely need to vent out her frustrations about the said girl.

 

 

A shuffling sound made her conclude that Joy is inside, without a plan to show her face to her. They knew each other too well. The latter knew that it's her who's knocking and she knew that Joy's probably hiding already. Now, she just needs to get the girl out of her hiding place.

 

 

She paused for a while, thinking of a good way to do that. Then a bright idea came into her mind which made her to smile wickedly.

 

 

Wendy knocked again at the door furiously.

 

 

"Yah! Park Sooyoung! I heard that Seulgi just won the dance competition..." she shouted behind the door, clearly liking where this teasing will go. Wendy can even picture Joy's face sporting an 'I can't believe you will do this' look.

 

 

Dropping the bomb, "You must be so proud of your girlf---"

 

 

 

Success.

 

 

Joy's annoyed and panicking face welcomed her. The girl immediately yanked her inside her room. But not before checking first if there is any person in the hallway that heard Wendy's words. It's still not known to all that she's dating one of the famous students in this university. Seulgi's known to be a really good dancer, always representing the name of the school in various competitions together with the other famous dance club members like Momo, Lay, Lisa and Yugyeom.

 

 

Upon closing the door, she then faced Wendy ready to scold her when a flying pillow hit her straight in the face. Joy immediately groaned in annoyance. Just what in the world is happening? That's what she always asked herself after receiving her best friend’s text message, threatening to kill her. Hence, she just followed Wendy's advice to hide. And when she's hiding as what she instructed, she want her to come out. Even threatening to spill the tea that she's with Seulgi to successfully do that.

 

 

"Yah! What the hell is your pro---"

 

 

Another pillow hit her face.

 

 

Joy went closer to Wendy while trying to dodge her attempt in hitting her for the third time.

 

 

"Could you stop it---"

 

 

 

And another hit.

 

 

Joy groaned loudly and soon went to pick up a pillow on her feet.

 

 

 

This needs to stop

 

 

 

They engaged themselves in a pillow fight with Joy mostly getting the hits. It's always like this. Wendy knew that. Another bright idea from her to get back at Joy.

 

 

 

 

 

With Joy's bed and other things went all flying across the room. The two best friends tiredly laid their bodies on the bed, both staring at the ceiling after a few minutes of childishness.

 

 

Joy was ready to ask the girl beside her on what's her problem, when Wendy decided that she's still not finished with punishing the girl. So with a deep breath, she hovered atop Joy and tickled her side. An action that the latter really hate.

 

 

 

"Yah! stop it. . Wendyyyyyyy! " She shouted in between hysterical laughs while trying to get away from her best friend's hold.

 

 

Bunch of 'ouch' can also be heard as Joy is kicking Wendy to make her stop. But it seems futile because the latter is clearly stronger than her.

 

 

"STOP IT WENDY! HAHAHAHAHAHA" still to no avail.

 

 

"FINE! I'LL DO WHAT YOU WANT. JUST STOP! "

 

 

That made Wendy to stop her tickling attack. Upon finally making her stop, Joy with her last ounce of energy kicked Wendy, which made the latter to fall out of her bed, making Wendy to curse loudly because of the impact.

 

 

Joy would chuckle at that, if only she wasn't trying her hardest to breath properly.

 

 

 

Then,

 

 

 

 

A free lunch for two weeks agreement was born.

 

 

~~~~~

 

They were both munching on their lunch with Wendy humming happily to a certain song. A clear portrayal that a food taste a lot better when it's free. Joy on the other hand, was busy texting Wendy assumed that it's Seulgi from the girl's expressions.

 

 

"By the way Joy, I've seen you talking to Irene the other day. What did the two of you talked about? Are you friends?" she curiously asked.

 

 

That question made Joy to stop texting Seulgi, she awkwardly looked at Wendy and then immediately averted her gaze towards her food.

 

 

Wendy just stared at the latter waiting for her to reply while observing her.

 

 

Was that nervousness that seems to flashed on her face for a while?

 

 

"Ahh that one. She's just uhmmm asking where's Ms. Kim's office."

 

 

Even of she's still having doubts, Wendy just decided to drop the topic. Because there's no way that Joy will lie to her, knowing that she has a huge crush on the older girl.

 

They both engaged themselves in small talks after that while waiting for their next class.

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

 

It's Wendy's first rehearsal as a member of the performer's guild. And surprisingly, she goes along well with some members, two of them are Chanyeol and the girl whom she requested to bring the cookies to Irene, Mina.

 

 

Being an introverted child, she cannot believe herself, maybe it's the effect of being friends with the social butterfly a.k.a Park Sooyoung.

 

 

The three sat together closely on the side, laughing from time to time. Mostly it's Chanyeol who will crack some silly jokes. They were actually waiting for their turn to perform their parts on their rehearsal performance.

 

 

Wendy steal a glance at Irene who is currently busy instructing what needs to be executed by the members at the center stage. She cannot help but to admire the girl. Wendy then gulped as she caught a glimpse of Irene's sweat rolling down her neck. Thanking the heavens that she's wearing her eyeglasses just now. Although, it sounds creepy but well, she's just admiring every inch of her crush.

 

 

"You like Irene don't you?" She was disturbed out of her reverie when Chanyeol suddenly whispered on her side. Wendy must probably be so lost at her own world because upon checking out if other people have heard the boy's observation, Mina wasn't on her other side anymore, she's at the center already doing what seems like ballet moves.

 

 

Wendy did not give Chanyeol an answer, instead she busied herself watching the current performers. But her mind was debating if she should tell the latter about it or not. Although, her silence probably confirmed Chanyeol's suspicion already.

 

 

 

"You see him, Wendy?" Chanyeol pointed at their other club member who's busy belting out some high notes. She thinks that it's Baekhyun, if Wendy can remember clearly upon their introduction awhile ago.

 

 

Wendy lightly nodded at the question.

 

 

 

"He's my crush." that made her astonished. Clearly amazed by the bold confession. Wendy leaned into Chanyeol muttering a lot of 'Really?' while teasing him also. The latter's ears were so red already due to Wendy's teasing.

 

 

 

 

"All those members whom aren't performing yet. Please do some rehearsal with your parts and not some useless chatting on the side." Irene loudly announced.

 

 

Was it Wendy's eyes playing a trick on her or did just the senior glared at the two of them while saying the phrase 'on the side'.

 

 

 

 

Dusting his pants as he stood up, Chanyeol flashed her a playful smirk as he muttered, "You just made the tigress jealous, Wendy. May God bless your soul." he even made a praying gesture at the latter who can't believe the assumption that came out of his mouth just now.

 

 

Pure lie. Why would Irene be jealous? She thought.

 

 

"Wendy are you listening? " Irene called out loudly again from below the stage.

 

 

"And you Chanyeol, go to the backstage already. You're next!" the senior added with a hint of annoyance at her voice.

 

 

Wendy bowed her head in embarrassment as she felt that all eyes of the occupants in the room were on her and to the man beside her. She immediately get her music sheets on the floor and was ready to follow Chanyeol at the backstage when all of a sudden, Irene called out her attention again.

 

 

"Wendy, do your practice here." the older girl sternly instructed while pointing at a chair not too far from her. Wendy timidly obeyed, with a single thought in mind.

 

 

Is Irene really jealous?

 

 

 

~~~~~

 

It was a Monday afternoon when she again asked Irene 'that' question.

 

 

She spotted the girl at the school's library again. The older is busy looking for a book on one of the shelves in Literature section that she did not even noticed that Wendy's been following her for like a minute now or Wendy just assumed.

 

 

 

"Stop following me, Wendy." Irene turned towards her with a serious face. Instead of getting afraid, the latter just smiled at her brightly.

 

 

"What are you looking for? I'll help you find it, Rene." Yeah, she was bold already to call Irene that nickname, it's not as if the older girl forbid her to do so.

 

 

"Any Peter Pan book will do."

 

 

She was on the verge of chuckling at the choice of book when Irene glared at her, making her to swallow her laugh.

 

 

"Our professor just made us do a book review about it, telling us that it's her all time favorite children's story. It's not as if we didn't even do our own interpretations about Peter's choice when we're still a child. So, how brilliant or her." Irene explained with a little bit of sarcasm, still looking for any book.

 

 

It took Wendy a good ten minutes to find it. She smiled happily as she hand the book towards the senior, which earned her a pat in the head. What is she? A dog? It should be a kiss! She chuckled at her silly thoughts.

 

 

 

She followed Irene to a nearby table and sat across her. Wendy anticipated Irene to open the first page of the said book, while on one of her hand under the table held a rose. The older girl even glanced at her first curiously upon witnessing her weird actions.

 

 

When her senior opened its first page which held the page with a little note she hastily scribbled before handling it to the older girl, she gently placed the rose on the table. Wendy shyly smiled at the latter who's kind of taken aback by the sudden display of affection from the young girl.

 

 

Irene then read the note that says,

 

 

Will you be like Peter who will choose me?

 

 

She cannot deny that, it made her heart fluttered. Irene just can't suppress it despite wanting to do so. Hence, a little smile crept up on her face.

 

 

"I admit, you're really witty here Wendy. I love it." Irene complimented as a light chuckle left her lips. The senior even brought the rose on her nose, sniffing it.

 

With a proud smile adorning her face, Wendy decided to be bold again.

 

 

"So... " she drag the two letter word while staring at the girl in front of her.

 

 

 

 

"Sunbae, will you give me an answer now?"

 

 

 

Irene smiled at her.

 

 

I guess this is it. The time where she can finally know of the latter's feelings.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Sure." The senior simply stated which made the latter to jump on her seat and lean albeit too much to the older across the table.

 

 

Wendy flashed her a bright smile as she continue to lean more.

 

 

"Really, sunbae?"

 

 

"Yup. " the latter replied popping the letter 'p'. The last time, Irene do it. Wendy does not like it even a bit. She's having a doubt again. Maybe the senior has something up her sleeves with how she really enjoys teasing the hell out of her.

 

 

"So?"

 

 

 

"So... " Irene started, slowly standing up from her chair.

 

 

 

 

 

"Study for your upcoming English test this Friday. If you will only get five mistakes or lower, I'll tell you my answer." With a playful smile, the latter walked out the library, despite Wendy's constant whining and wrist holding.

 

 

 

 

 

Grrrr. She’s at it again!

 

 

Wendy groaned loudly and dropped her head on the table. Lucky for her, she was situated on the far back of the library. Because if not, she's sure that the librarian will really kick her out by how loud she was.

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

Actually, Irene's condition isn't that bad. She knew that she can do it, even Joy said that it's easy for her. Well, she lived in Canada for how many years before transferring here so an English test isn't much of a worry. Based on her previous records in Ms. Hwang's class, she averages 1-3 mistakes or even a perfect mark. But still she should not be too confident, because one wrong move and her getting Irene's answer will go down the drain again. She cannot afford that.

 

 

So here she is at midnight, still reviewing her notes about Ms. Hwang's previous lesson for their test tomorrow. That's right. Tomorrow.

 

 

And she's been studying for it for the past nights since the senior has made another condition.

 

 

After another hour, Wendy decided that it's enough already. She then head for bed and closed her eyes to sleep but not before praying that everything will go well tomorrow.

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

 

Joy kicked her chair from the back asking her for some answers. She glanced at Ms. Hwang and saw that she's busy roaming around the classroom while they are taking the test. Wendy groaned in annoyance, she usually give Joy her paper but upon knowing that it's a crucial test for her. She's really hesitating because what if they'll get caught.

 

 

"Wendy, please. What's the answers to numbers 14-17." Joy pleaded lowly.

 

 

"a, c, c, d" she enumerated the answers.

 

Wendy checked for Ms. Hwang and she's glad that his facing the other side of the room.

 

"What?" Joy inquired again while kicking her chair.

 

 

"A, C, C, D" she muttered a little louder this time.

 

 

 

 

"Ms. Son and Ms. Park. Minus 10 points."

 

 

What??! .

 

Wendy cursed under her breath at such deduction.

 

Her classmates reaction mirrored hers. As all of them turned their heads towards the two best friends. Some do not care, some sported an 'I pity you' look while some chuckled lowly at Wendy's reaction. She just stood up actually with hanging open in the air.

 

 

"But ma'am---" she tried to reason out but was cut off by Ms. Hwang's stern voice and serious look. Sounds trouble.

 

 

"No buts Ms. Son. I clearly told everyone to stop talking once the test starts."

 

 

 

"Can you just make it five points, ma'am? Please." Wendy bargained.

 

 

 

 

"I'm okay with ten points ma'am since I know that it's my fault. " Joy interjected proudly which made some of their classmates to laugh and cheer for her. Wendy on the other hand, give her an incredulous look. She's close to telling Joy to just shut .

 

 

 

"See, Ms. Son? Ms. Park is okay with it so you should too."

 

 

With that, Wendy's sulking self sat back down again.

 

 

 

 

 

She can't wait to smack Joy's head later.

 

 

Irene's answer seems out of reach again.

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

A loud laugh echoed through the hallways after dismissal. Wendy looked up from her locker to the source of the sound as it seems familiar to her. And a surprising sight welcomed her.

 

It's Joy and Irene talking at the end of the corridor.

 

 

She slowly approached the two girls with a pout and hand balled into a fist. One for Irene and the other for her best friend. Joy immediately rushed out the classroom as the bell rang before Wendy can get a hold of her.

 

 

"Ouch! " a loud yelp from the tall girl who's clutching the back of her head was soon heard.

 

 

Irene watched in surprise at the sudden attack but soon relaxed as Wendy's face stood beside the girl. Joy on the other hand, is ready to fight back but soon behave as a pout formed on her best friend’s face while she's gazing at Irene in front.

 

 

"Joy for the second time ruined everything." Wendy whined.

 

 

"Yeah, I just heard that you failed to achieve my condition again, Wendy. Better luck next time then." The senior said patting her shoulders.

 

 

 

"Joy by the way, about what you have said. Don't do it again." Irene uttered before walking away from the two.

 

 

Wendy stared at Joy, waiting for her explanation. But the girl abruptly dashed out. Leaving her alone wondering what the hell is happening.

 

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

Ms. Jung instructed all the club members to form a big circle on the stage after an hour of practice, a lot earlier of the usual duration for their Wednesday practice.

 

 

Standing at the center of the circle. She clapped her hands twice gathering the attention of everyone. Wendy's talk with Chanyeol and Mina got cut off because of it.

 

 

"Since it's still early to dismiss all of you. I have decided to do a little activity." she started announcing to everyone.

 

 

"I'm going to pick a bunch of people who will sing in here." pointing at her place.

 

 

With that, some groaned, others are happy (probably those who wants to show off), while some are in the middle. Wendy is the latter. Well, it's not as if she can't sing if she was asked to.

 

 

After the little commotion, Ms. Jung then continued, "Any song will do. Just make sure that if I ask you 'Why did you chose that song' you can answer me." Wendy chuckled lightly at that, for her, it's an indirect way of saying that they should dedicate a song to someone or that they should carefully choose a song although she said that any song will do.

 

 

 

"For the first to perform... "

 

 

Time passed by, as some of the club members performed at the center. Some really amazed Wendy including Chanyeol's crush. Clearly, Baekhyun can really belt some high notes.

 

 

"Now, for the last performer... " Ms. Jung roam around her eyes. Wendy's calm until her eyes met with the professor.

 

 

Oh no.

 

 

Ms. Jung smiled at her.

 

 

No. No. No. N---

 

 

 

"Wendy."

 

 

.

 

She thought that she can get away with it. Wendy's actually not in the mood that afternoon. Although, she does not know why. She's just not. And that's valid.

 

 

She reluctantly stood up, all eyes were on her. Including Irene.

 

 

Honestly, Wendy can't think of a song awhile ago because she's really not in the mood.

 

 

Fine.

 

 

It's not that she doesn't know why.

 

 

It started when this Bogum guy approached Irene after practice, handing her a watered bottle. It's clear to the guy's expression that he likes Irene. Wendy scoffed at the thought.

 

 

After all of her fail attempts to successfully accomplished Irene's conditions. Her self-esteem's already low. Now, even Bogum is blocking her way. It made her stomach churn in disappointment about herself and annoyance as well.

 

 

 

"So, Wendy. What are you going to sing?"

 

 

"What If Love by Seungwan." she's been listening to this song quite a lot lately and surprisingly it speaks so much about her feelings towards the older girl who's situated beside the man she thinks as her competition. To make it worse, he's even good-looking.

 

 

"Why did you decided to sing such song? Or do you have a person in mind you want to dedicate this song?" Ms. Jung smiled teasingly. Ever since seeing the two for the first time together, the professor knew that the girl holds a liking to the club's president.

 

 

Wendy look straight at Irene and upon doing so, all her inhibitions, hurt, jealousy and frustrations were thrown away. The older girl is just so perfect in her eyes and that instant she realized that whatever she will go through in pursuing her. She knew that it will be worth it whether she will fail or succeed.

 

 

"Yes, Ms. Jung. There's this person that I really like. I just hope that with this song..." For the whole duration of answering, her gaze was only directed to Irene. Surprisingly, this time the older girl did not avert her eyes away.

 

 

"She'll finally give me an answer." she finished.

 

 

Ms. Jung knowingly nodded at that and even glanced at the older girl too. That's the time that she took notice that both of them are on their own world together.

 

 

She then signaled for Wendy to start singing.

 

 

 

// So much that I don’t know

Honestly, it’s hard

I don’t know the right timing

Why do things keep messing up? //

 

Upon singing the first stanza of the song, Wendy remembered all the time she failed the older girl. Why do things keep messing up? Joy.

 

 

// My heart has slow footsteps

So with all my strength, I chased after you

Each step you take

I’m right there so why are you hesitating? //

 

She's asking that too. What's stopping Irene from giving her answer?

 

 

// Ooh love love is, what is it, what is love?

Ooh love, what do I do? What if love?

You’re probably my

 

One one one my one

The only one one one you are

If this is love love love if love

What should I do, what should I do? what if this is the love //

 

 

Are these feelings for the older girl 'love' already? Even if an answer isn't available right now. She knew that she's willing to do everything to make Irene happy.

 

If that's what love is. Then, maybe...

 

She's inlove.

 

 

// I’m looking at you for a while

Wondering if you feel the same way

Of course, I really don’t know

It’s still so hard //

 

 

All the happenings lately have really made her wonder about the older girl's real feelings. She still doesn't know.

 

 

 

 

Wendy soon finished the song, pouring all her emotions out in it.

 

She opened her eyes, and everything went still as she saw how a tear rolled down the older girl’s cheek.

 

 

Was that her answer?

 

 

 

Loud claps and cheers echoed through the whole auditorium after that.

 

She should be happy right? But why does she felt like her heart is breaking thinking of all the plausible reasons on why Irene shed a tear because at her performing.

 

 

Will she turn me down and is feeling guilty already?

 

 

Wendy went back on her seat after that. But her worries then shoot up as she saw Irene stood up and with hasty steps went out of the auditorium. She was on her way to follow her when Ms. Jung called out her name and throws a bunch of compliments on her way.

 

 

Her phone buzzed on her pocket after a while as a text message came in.

 

 

 

Meet me at the music room.

 

 

It's from Irene.

 

 

 

She dejectedly sighed for her impending heartbreak. So even if she doesn't want to face the older girl after Ms. Jung dismissed everyone. Wendy knew that Irene is waiting for her.

 

 

With a deep breath she opened the door to the music room. She spotted the older girl immediately. A heavenly sight can be seen as the latter stood by the window gazing at the vast sky. The glow of the moon illuminated the older girl's features. Wendy's breath hitched at that and soon realized that she cannot afford to know that she does not have a chance with the older girl.

 

So, she shoot her chance again although it may seem like she's desperate.

 

 

"Sunbae, what's your condition this time? They usually said that third time's the lucky charm. I'm pretty sure I can succeed this time." she looks like a fool with her cracking voice. Wendy can even feel some tears on the corner of her eyes.

 

 

 

 

"No need for that, Wendy."

 

 

Ouch. That clearly hurts. She guess that she can't help it.

 

 

"Rene, what should I do to change y---"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I'm done playing hard to get."

 

 

A soft and warm lips soon met hers after feeling Irene's hands cupped her cheeks with a little force before leaning in.

 

 

 

Wait, what?!

 

 

Her heart constricted on her chest as it finally sink in to her what is currently happening.

 

 

 

 

Irene is freaking kissing her.

 

 

It is such a magical feeling to her. Never in her wildest dreams that she thought this will really happen. But she do wished for it for like a million times already. She cannot deny that.

 

 

She's at her lowest a while ago and just one move from the older girl can bring her to such wonderful heights. Irene can really drive her insane.

 

 

The older girl soon broke the kiss, not even giving time for Wendy to kissed back. Hence, a chuckle left Irene's mouth as she saw how Wendy chase her lips.

 

 

They just stared at each other under the moonlight. Wendy cannot help but to admire the older girl's features closely. But before she can forget the most important question, she should ask it immediately.

 

 

"What the hell just happened, Rene? "

 

 

"Is it still not clear, Wendy?"

 

 

"I just want to make sure."

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I like you too, pabo-yah."

 

 

This time it's her who lean closer to Irene in order to capture her lips. The older girl is quite surprised by the younger girl's actions but soon melted too with the kiss.

 

 

After breaking for the second time. Irene pinched the latter's cheeks, which made Wendy groaned but this time not in annoyance. Even if Irene will punch her this time, she'll gladly be punched.

 

 

"I cannot believe you failed at everything, Wendy." Irene , still pinching her now redden cheeks.

 

 

"Joy said that you are talented and smart so, how come?"

 

 

"Wait, Joy? Are you close with her? Lately, I've been seeing the two of you together." Wendy inquired the other question that's bothering her lately while intertwining her right hand to Irene's left.

 

 

"Kind of. She's actually the one who told me about all your gay panic moments whenever I am around. And even made up that condition about the English test."

 

 

A realization suddenly hit her. Her gripped on Irene's hand became a little tighter which didn't go unnoticed by the latter.

 

 

 

"That girl, she's playing me all these time." she muttered sternly in Irene's neck.

 

 

 

"Are you annoyed, Wendy?" Irene cupped her cheeks again, softly this time.

 

 

"Kind of." She whined while inhaling Irene’s scent. She cannot believe that she can be this clingy and bold to someone.

 

 

 

"How about this?" the older girl then pecked her lips.

 

 

After that, Irene inquired with her eyes if she's still annoyed.

 

 

 

"I'm still annoyed."

 

 

Peck.

 

 

 

"I'm really really really anno---"

 

 

 

This time. Irene's kiss lingered. They shared a long passionate one under the same sky with the same feelings.

 

 

 

 

Finally.

 

 

 

 

As she's busy nibbling on Irene's lower lip, Wendy reminded herself to tell her best friend to annoy her as much as she wants. If that's one of the ways that will make Irene to be this clingy. 

 

Maybe an annoying Joy wouldn't that much of a pain in the . 

 

 

 

 

End.

 

 

~~~~~

 

A/N: Thank you for reading! I hope you have enjoyed this one as much as I have enjoyed writing it. 

 

Do comment your thoughts about this story. Good or bad. I'll be okay with it. Stay safe y'all. 

 

Until my next Wenrene fanfic :) 

 

_fxd_